• CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 4:53pm (Aug 14th 2009)

... or should that be "re-coop-eration"? **groan**

Anyhoo, moving on, Rosie is being kept isolated until the medicine she was on has cleared through her system and no longer affects her eggs. Once the other chooks have laid for the day, she is allowed out again to play. Only two more weeks to go.

So to keep her busy, we've built her an activity centre in on of the empty vegetable enclosures. She has tree branches to climb on, a cosy crate of straw to sit in, empty raised beds to scritch and even better, every morning, I hide dried meal worms in the soil.

Spoilt?

• CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 6:03pm (Aug 14th 2009)

There's always daytime telly and gin. works for me...:tooth:
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 6:52pm (Aug 14th 2009)

I am sure the cats play poker when we go out of an evening.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 7:02pm (Aug 14th 2009)

Sounds like a lovely hospital wing as my mum calls our isolation/re-coperation run.
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 7:05pm (Aug 14th 2009)

That's real nice to read about Volka, she will recover quicker if she is kept amused.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 7:10pm (Aug 14th 2009)

She might not want to leave her nice branches and crate when its time to go back with the rest of the girls. I've looked back to see if I could see how many you have Volka but I couldn't see anything????
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 7:53pm (Aug 14th 2009)

Yes...don't forget about Stuart's hen getting hooked on telly and bedroom carpets! :)
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 8:46pm (Aug 14th 2009)

:-) you'll have to make them all an adventure playground when they get back together.
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 10:16pm (Aug 14th 2009)

That sounds brill! Bet she loves it :)

You could hang a lettuce or cabbage head from the roof?!
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeAug 15th, 2009 12:40am (Aug 15th 2009)

Ashleigh is still hooked on TV, I think I had her away from the others too long because they won't accept her back now. I have to keep an eye on them all the time when they are together because she is heavily picked on. The other two just won't let her eat anything unless I am there, they peck her constantly so at night she comes in to watch TV, she can't get anywhere the next box without a fight, so she's sleeping in our bedroom in the old wicker fishing basket. She's seen all the episodes of Torchwood, and now watching a rerun of Dr Who.
    • CommentTimeAug 15th, 2009 5:23pm (Aug 15th 2009)

Will you buy her a Dalek for Christmas? 131 days to go...:tooth:
    • CommentTimeAug 15th, 2009 5:29pm (Aug 15th 2009)

I was reading an article about introducing hens to each other and it said to smear them all with garlic just before bed time and then put them all in the coop together overnight and in the morning they will all get up smelling the same and not realise the new bird is even there. I don't know if it would work but it did make me smile though.
    • CommentTimeAug 15th, 2009 5:36pm (Aug 15th 2009)

It'd save time if you were a hard-hearted chicken owner who eats their poor hens...:shocked:
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2009 11:05am (Aug 16th 2009)

TracyB - just the four but that's enough!! We only keep her apart until the others have laid so we know which ones we can eat. We thought of giving Rosie a crayon so she could write her name on her egg but she would only eat it.

The others do go up and talk to her through the trellis fence.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2009 4:59pm (Aug 16th 2009)

:-) I've been letting ours socialise once speckle and indi have laid an egg or after work when I get home. Think I mighe start hanging cabage n the trees for them to see if they get the hang of it. T
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2009 6:55pm (Aug 16th 2009)

Indi is laying eggs? That's a good sign - isn't it?
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2009 6:59pm (Aug 16th 2009)

Well she laid one on Friday nothing since I don't think. She has run across the run today to see what she thougth of a fig I pulled off the tree then decided it hadn't been worth the run as she didn't like it.