• CommentTimeAug 17th, 2009 9:28pm (Aug 17th 2009)

Rainy day cure for dog odor: Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh
    • CommentTimeAug 17th, 2009 9:30pm (Aug 17th 2009)

• CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 18th, 2009 1:34pm (Aug 18th 2009)

How did you learn about those two NN?
    • CommentTimeAug 18th, 2009 7:26pm (Aug 18th 2009)

By having a smelly dog and festering toenails...:rolling:
    • CommentTimeAug 18th, 2009 11:35pm (Aug 18th 2009)

Ha Ha I haven't got either CC thank goodness. A friend in the states sent me a long list of hints and tips in an e-mail and I thought we must all have our favourite ones so it might be good to share them. I will put some more on when I get round to it and if any one else had any to share it would be good.
    • CommentTimeAug 20th, 2009 1:06pm (Aug 20th 2009)

Eliminate ear mites. All it takes is a few drops of Olive or Corn Oil in your cat's ear... Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.
    • CommentTimeAug 20th, 2009 1:07pm (Aug 20th 2009)

Did you know that drinking two glasses of Gatorade or lucozade can relieve headache pain almost immediately-without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional pain relievers?
    • CommentTimeAug 20th, 2009 5:00pm (Aug 20th 2009)

Posted By: nanny north All it takes is a few drops of Olive or Corn Oil in your cat's ear...

And what helps accelerate the healing of the gashes inflicted by a cat who didn't really fancy half a pint of extra virgin down his lug'ole?:D
    • CommentTimeAug 20th, 2009 8:12pm (Aug 20th 2009) edited

If a few drops is your equivelent to half a pint then working on that scale maybe you should just pour yourself a good stiff drink before hand then you won't feel nothing for a week allowing any gashes to heal with out realising you even had any
    • CommentTimeAug 21st, 2009 5:11am (Aug 21st 2009)

:rolling:
    Well I don't do short measures!:)
    • CommentTimeAug 21st, 2009 8:30pm (Aug 21st 2009)

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 tablespoon horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil for instant relief for aching muscles.

I haven't tried any of these hints and tips so try with caution !!!! I do know the cat ear one is good though and makes ear cleaning a lot easier. Sootz loves having his done.
    • CommentTimeAug 21st, 2009 10:34pm (Aug 21st 2009)

Oh my gosh, NN.
    I was gipping at the thought of horseradish and olive oil.

Such a relief to find I wasn't expected to ingest it.
    • CommentTimeAug 21st, 2009 11:50pm (Aug 21st 2009)

As a child if I had earache my nan would put warm olive oil in there and bung a piece of cotton wool inside the 'dip' in the outer ear to mop it up when it oozed back out. It always worked though I'm sure it'd be frowned upon now.
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd, 2009 1:34am (Aug 22nd 2009)

I remember at school - particularly in the winter - there were always some kids with cotton wool sticking out of their ears. I always wanted some too...
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd, 2009 8:03pm (Aug 22nd 2009)

Do you know CC I was just the same and my Mum got real cross with me wanting to do the same. Funny how we all wanted to join the herd when we are young isn't it.
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd, 2009 6:29pm (Aug 23rd 2009)

Honey remedy for skin blemishes... Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 6:24pm (Aug 24th 2009)

When I was at junior school we had a girl called Jane who knitted herself nose warmers, she had a different colour one for each day of the week, funny trianular bit of knitting on a peice of elastic - funnily enough - she couldn't work out why it didn't catch on.......oh we did laugh ar her (which I know was cruel - but truly you had to see her)
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 7:43pm (Aug 24th 2009)

Oh my that sure is unusual I have never heard of them before. May be she was in training to be eccentric.
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 7:54pm (Aug 24th 2009)

In training? sounds as though she passed her exams in full! :)
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 7:56pm (Aug 24th 2009)

Baby wipes we mentioned them on another thread, I use them for cleaning odd marks of the carpets and paintwork. They are fantastic on chrome taps as well. Anybody else got ideas for them?
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 7:59pm (Aug 24th 2009)

Um...wiping babies?
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 8:00pm (Aug 24th 2009)

Ha ha ha I really asked for that one CC I should have said other than wiping babies.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 8:02pm (Aug 24th 2009)

CC is such a traditionalist obviously...:-)
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 8:26pm (Aug 24th 2009)

When my son was out in Iraq and afghanistan I sent out loads of baby wipes as the lads use them for loads of things even wiping their guns down with them when out of camp.
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 2:00pm (Aug 25th 2009)

Just thought of another use for the baby wipes key board and mouse comes up like new with very little effort. They get muck off so well I am surprised they are safe for babies. I wiped my face with one in the car once and it stung like heck.
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 3:59pm (Aug 25th 2009)

N>N> You should try it on the areas it is designed for. Ouch!
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 4:35pm (Aug 25th 2009)

...or you could wipe a baby with it...:tooth:
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 10:09pm (Aug 25th 2009)

Ohhh thanks for the warning Ollie wont be trying them there then Ha ha. I do keep some in the car as they are so handy for many things.
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2009 12:24pm (Aug 26th 2009) edited

Posted By: nanny northListerine therapy for toenail fungus: Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine Mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Having convinced myself that I'd got a nail infection, I was complaining to my mum (ex-post graduate nurse and general know-it-all) that "that bl**dy Daktarin is useless".

So, next time she comes over, she has a look. "That's not a nail infection," she says. "Have you dropped something on your foot in the last couple of months?"

Thinking back, I did recall that hubby's Hammond organ did start to slide off the back of the trolley jack and the corner landed on my foot.

She signed and gave me "that" look - you know the one, all Mum's do it. THe one that says "you've just answered your own question, haven't you?"

How silly did I feel? :shamed: Thank goodness I didn't admit to using NN's treatment!!
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2009 5:42pm (Aug 26th 2009)

At least you had minty-fresh feet for her to look at, Volka...:rolling:
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2009 11:08pm (Aug 26th 2009)

Yes, I use 'that' look on my kids all the time volka!
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2009 11:31am (Sep 7th 2009)

Thought I would have another look at the e-mail and see what else there is to regale you with Ha ha
    Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2009 4:45pm (Sep 7th 2009)

Sore throat? Just take 2 bottles of wine. Still have a sore throat, but you don't care. :drinkparty:
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2009 8:15pm (Sep 7th 2009)

Hi C.C.

Just realised that Tesco Sherry is cheaper to buy in 75cls than 1 litre. How silly is that then? Asda did the same thing all through June and July.

I agree that a bit from a bottle (of the correct sort) is much better than some of the dubious stuff the medics foist upon us.
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2009 8:34pm (Sep 7th 2009)

Ooo...that'd be a bargain if I could bring myself to shop at Tesco...but I can't, because I hate them. Might go and try tyre kicking at Asda though...:):cheers:
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2009 8:42am (Sep 8th 2009)

I do take honey, fresh lemon juice with a bit of glycerine in it for a cough or sore throat, but have to be careful of any off the shelf medications. Wish I could have a drink every so often but never mind worse things happen at sea.