• CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 11:40am (Aug 25th 2009)

I can't find any information on the internet or in my chicken books, so I thought I'd ask you lot.

I bought my girls fully vaccinated. Thing is, is that it? I mean, the dogs and cats were vaccinated as wee smalls but have to go back every year for boosters.

Is it the same with hens or is that one lot of vacs for life?

Cheers

Vx
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 1:49pm (Aug 25th 2009)

I bought mine already vacinated Volka and as far as I know thats it. I am sure they would have said bring them back for their boosters as it would be easy money for them. I just had a look where I got mine from and it just says they come fully vaccinated.
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 2:31pm (Aug 25th 2009)

Thanks NN. I didn't want to assume.
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 2:46pm (Aug 25th 2009)

Yes I know what you mean Volka, I hadn't really thought about it till you said. I did just assume that was it, a bit like us being vaccinated against... oh I dont know.... small pox for example. Still someone else on the forum will soon say if they need boosters I'm sure. I hope they don't as that will be more expense that I could do with out.
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2009 9:06am (Aug 26th 2009)

Ours came fully vaccinated, and as far as I know nothing else needs to be done. Just keep up with worming and such.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2009 8:41pm (Aug 26th 2009)

What do you guys use for worming? I haven't done htat yet?
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2009 3:14pm (Aug 27th 2009)

I've got a tub of Flubenvet sitting in my kitchen but I still can't get my head around the dosage.

Why can't they just say X grams per chicken or 10 chickens, then you could work out what you need. Instead, it's x grams per kilos of food. Well, really, who weighs their chicken's food out? That's just assuming all chickens eat - and only eat - their prescribe 4oz (or whatever it is) each.

Yeah right.

Sorry, this perhaps should have gone into the rant forum.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2009 6:26pm (Aug 27th 2009)

Thanks I'll have a look at some products. I've got another chicken that isn't eating so I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow going to get him to take blood test to see if there is anything that is going to take all my girls from me.
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2009 9:48pm (Aug 27th 2009)

fingers crossed it's something that can be treated Vx
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2009 11:20pm (Aug 27th 2009)

We use flubenvet and the doses are ridiculous. It's manufactured for hundreds of chickens, so we really have problems working it out for three! :)
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2009 7:35pm (Aug 29th 2009)

not just me being a bit fick then!
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2009 9:08pm (Aug 29th 2009)

No. I would try and help, but I leave all that to my dad and he isn't here at the moment :P