• CommentAuthorRSPCA
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2009 12:25pm (Sep 10th 2009) edited

Hi all,

I’m writing on behalf of the RSPCA, raising awareness of its urgent campaign to protect the welfare of UK meat chickens. Thank you very much for making me a member of the forum. I think this topic may be of real interest to many of you, and I hope it will be OK to start a topic about it. If this is not an appropriate place for it or a mod would like to discuss it please do let me know.

Right now, the government is considering new EU legislation that may increase the number of chickens allowed in rearing sheds. Even at current minimum standards, each bird is given less space than a sheet of A4. It’s hard to walk or even flap their wings. But this legislation would allow yet more birds to be squashed in, cutting that space by almost a quarter.

We desperately need you to join us in urging Jim Fitzpatrick, Minister for Animal Welfare, to make the right choice for UK chickens and quash the squash, by sending an email via our campaign website at http://bit.ly/quash.

We also have created a short film called Irritating Chicken to highlight the plight of broiler chickens. The purpose of the stunt was to invade people’s personal space and make them feel what it is like being squashed into a chicken shed. The video can be found at http://bit.ly/ichick.

Thank you for your time and your support,

Stefan, on behalf of RSPCA
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2009 4:18pm (Sep 10th 2009)

Thanks for the info, Stefan. (I hope you become a participating member on the Hencam forum ~ while we are an international group, there are lots of folks on here who live in England and are directly helping these poor abused animals. Check out Nanny North's sweater campaign. And the people who've taken on the very tough job of adopting battery hens, even though they are very often quite ill and its so painful to grow to care about them as individual animals and then experience their suffering.)

Here are the RSPCA links in 'look but don't leave' form folks:

RSPCA web site

Irritating Chicken vid

• CommentTimeSep 10th, 2009 7:02pm (Sep 10th 2009)

Done it. Can't imagine why our government are letting Europe drag us down to their low standards again. Idiots.
    thanks for the links, Diane!
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2009 8:32pm (Sep 10th 2009)

Done it as well, how awful, how can people be so cruel to helpless animals it breaks my heart. Thanks for the mention Diane it was very kind of you.
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2009 11:20pm (Sep 10th 2009)

Done it too. Great video. People were quite accepting of the person in the chicken suit because it was cute and funny, but I hope it has got the message over.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 11th, 2009 3:10am (Sep 11th 2009) edited

As I said to CC via emu - I think they should have hired an American to play the chicken. You Brits have no idea how to invade someone's personal space. LOL.

I also think the literature the chicken handed out should have mentioned that unless the person was stripped naked and had the tip of their nose cutoff, they weren't really getting the full experience of a battery hen...

I very much admire what you have accomplished for those poor hens, NN.

CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 11th, 2009 3:13am (Sep 11th 2009) edited

I thought the chicken was cute too, Kate. Until I looked in its eyes. They were a bit freaky! :shocked: Looked like Milly in that photo where she is sitting in the office chair - remember that? Only six feet tall. :shocked: :shocked:
    • CommentTimeSep 12th, 2009 12:37pm (Sep 12th 2009)

Thanks Stefan - I edited your post so the links there work now. Thank you for the info and the links, perfect place to start this thread and I'll go send an email now :001_smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 13th, 2009 12:25am (Sep 13th 2009)

I agree Diane!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 13th, 2009 3:34am (Sep 13th 2009)

:D