Site Tag Cloud

CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 5:30pm (Nov 10th 2007)

Pie & PEAS ??
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 6:00pm (Nov 10th 2007)

Lol! it's a British delicacy!!! :)
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 9:22pm (Nov 10th 2007)

Or more specifically, a northern delicacy! Here in the midlands (I'm a Black Country girl born and bred!) its faggots and peas - not that I've had that since i was a girl.
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 9:43pm (Nov 10th 2007) edited

Kate, what is "faggots and peas"??? I've never heard of that...of course there are millions of things I've never heard of.:-)
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 11:35pm (Nov 10th 2007)

faggots are some kind of manky meat thing aren't they? I remember when my grandma and grandad used to have meat dripping (really bad white fat stuff - sorry if you're eating while you read this - people used to think it was nice "in the old days" haha) - in fact they even had trotters (pigs feet) once - I think this is what first made me think about going veggie - looking at an animals legs on a plate, it just didn't seem right!

I always assumed everyone had pie & peas (pork pies and mushy peas), with mint sauce and salt and vinegar on the peas... yummy!

Usually we get veggie porkless pies, but they'd run out so we had veggie pasty and peas instead, it was still yummy!

Then you have bonfire toffee (treacle toffee), and parkin pigs, and all sorts of things that probably aren't very good for you!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 12:49am (Nov 11th 2007)

Wow - food is fun stuff. I'm still not sure what we're talking about. Its a type of pie with meat and peas on the side with sauce on them? (Like steak & potatoes...? Only with a crust.) I have eaten little meat pies (only without the meat) so I believe I know what that is at least. The there's treacle - what's that? However: TOFFEE now that I know - slurp. And then parkin pigs - no idea...

Faggots originally meant a stick to light a fire with right? It has a totally (negative) meaning now, when used to talk about a gay male. That's true in the UK as well, isn't it? We have only that use for it here. So in the US its either an insult or an in-group term gay man to gay man...
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 4:26pm (Nov 11th 2007)

I just 'googled' faggots to see what they were made of as I hadn't the foggiest idea (haven't had them since I was 15 and it was Tuesday night tea - my mom delivered a 'set' menu!) and can't believe I ever ate them! They sound disgusting! It seems lots of food (including pork pies and sausages) are off cuts and leftovers - the sweepings off the butcher's floor my nan called them. I have heard of it being used as an insult to gay men, in fact a pub landlord was recently prosecuted when he took over a pub that was well known to gay men and put a board outside saying "new management, new menu - no more faggots" or something like that. He thought it was funny but the police weren't laughing!
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 10:37pm (Nov 11th 2007) edited

Kate - I got curious about the difference between google in the US & UK - sure enough, when I googled faggot I would have had to look awhile to find anything about food I think. So - do you think you and I get different definitions when we google things?

But, in terms of the word I found something that, to me, is kind of interesting: "Male homosexual, 1914, Amer.Eng. slang, probably from earlier contemptuous term for "woman" (1591), especially an old and unpleasant one..." And THAT apparently comes from using "faggots" (or bundles of sticks) to burn hieretics. I knew the first and third thing but didn't know that men are getting called this now hateful word because of a hatred for women.

It is one of the more common vulgar and harsh things to call someone here - school kids use it to disparage anyone these days (gay or straight.)

What, by the way, is Black Country?
    • CommentTimeNov 12th, 2007 7:29am (Nov 12th 2007) edited

You can still buy these in supermarkets here, though why you'd buy any meat product made by "Mr Brains" is beyond me!

I wonder how the recent more horrible use of the word has affected their sales?
    • CommentTimeNov 12th, 2007 7:05pm (Nov 12th 2007)

I always use Google.co.uk to search otherwise it does tend to give 'americanisms' first. The Wikipedia link Neil gave above explains the full disgusting horror of them!

The Black Country is an area in the centre of England, so called because it was at the forefront of a lot of industrial invention and production. It is said that Queen Victoria once passed through the area and demanded the blinds on her train carriage be drawn so that she couldn't see it.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 12th, 2007 7:40pm (Nov 12th 2007)

Ack - I'm glad I'd already eaten breakfast prior to looking at the Wiki regarding Mr Brains' offal (oops) product. Yurp. :D I guess my mostly vegie existance makes me a kind of limited person. I met some Australians when I was a kid traveling in Europe who had a goal of eating the meat of every possible animal...

How does the Black Country look in 2007?

Neil - I can't remember the code for posting a link that has it come up in a separate page (so people don't get taken out of hencam)
    • CommentTimeNov 12th, 2007 9:26pm (Nov 12th 2007)

I work with a guy who seems to have the same outlook as the Aussies. He went to Norway and ate reindeer at christmas! I'm not veggie but don't eat a lot of meat. He knows not to talk to me about it now.

The Black Country's had quite a bit of regeneration. It is cleaner than it was, and industry isn't quite what it was, but it is still a deprived area compared to surrounding parts.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 13th, 2007 4:01am (Nov 13th 2007)

I looked your region up on Wiki. The landscape looked pretty in the pictures I saw. It seems your relatives have an almost incomprehensible accent? ;)
    • CommentTimeNov 13th, 2007 2:46pm (Nov 13th 2007)

Ha ha!! Yes - we took my son's girlfriend to visit my brother and his family, and she sat mute the whole time because she couldn't understand a word! My son thinks its really funny because I slip back into the accent when I'm there.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 13th, 2007 7:04pm (Nov 13th 2007)

The Wiki I read showed a sign post on a road. I couldn't make out one word of it. Really cool. Can you tell when you're back in the accent? I'm a sponge - pick up other people's accents and have no idea. I came home from living in Greece when I was a teenager with an Irish accent, because my roomate was from Ireland...
    • CommentTimeNov 13th, 2007 11:35pm (Nov 13th 2007)

I don't realise I've picked the accent back up until my son starts laughing every time I speak. There was a cartoon strip in the local paper called Enoch & Eli (pronounced Ay-nock n ay-lie) that was written in the dialect. Really funny to see it written down - a bit like trying to read my son's text messages!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 14th, 2007 4:07pm (Nov 14th 2007)

Why doesn't your son have the accent? Is it dying out? I love the comparison to texting - that was my experience, trying to read it as well. More of a different language than different accent really.
    • CommentTimeNov 14th, 2007 8:54pm (Nov 14th 2007) edited

I can see this topic moving an awful long way from bonfires....

I lived in a time when accents were discouraged at school, also my parents forbade it at home. It was my own daughter that 'infected' me with dialect after HER first few weeks at school.

I have a pretty strong Yorkshire accent but wipe it off when I am in other counties visisting friends.
    Or so I thought until listening to a tape they made of a discussion we had.

I went to Japan and stayed with Japanese colleagues. After ten days I phoned home to say all was well. I could not believe how nice it was to hear English and how very strong was his accent !
    • CommentTimeNov 14th, 2007 9:23pm (Nov 14th 2007)

I always consider myself to be a black country girl, but I left there when I was 15 and have lived in Birmingham for the rest of my life - which I've scarily just realised is nearly 28 years. My childhood friends consider me and my accent to be Brummie.

My son has always lived in Birmingham so his accent is different to the black country one - though he does an excellent impression! Saying that, he used to have an american friend and convinced a group of strangers that he too was american. He must have an ear for that type of thing. I love accents and think it makes people interesting. As for english accents, prefer northern ones to southern. Amazing they're so different in such a small country.
    • CommentTimeNov 15th, 2007 3:49am (Nov 15th 2007) edited

I love accents too. Hey, you might find this interesting - I'd really like to know what type of American accent my UK friends have! (And of course my US friends as well.)

My American Accent

Mine is: the west ('general american english') ;) So, I'm the only one of you who has NO accent-lol. What's that Lynn? What? Can't hear yooou! :)
    • CommentTimeNov 15th, 2007 4:56am (Nov 15th 2007)

Mine is: "the west" too, Diane..I guess that's because I've never lived anywhere else, except here in Washington..you can't get any farther west without falling into the Pacific ocean than Washington.
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeNov 15th, 2007 5:19am (Nov 15th 2007)

As for my accent, it is southern . I sound like the ladies from Atlanta , Georgia. Why ??? I have no clue as I only went there once in my life for one night. I already had the accent long before that. Some people say I purr when I talk. LOl. Both sides of my family are from west of the Mississippi River and have midwestern accents. I sound alot different than I look. I am short, full figured , and auburn haired . There is nothing wrong with that at all and my hubby thinks I am lovely ( and that is all that matters to me ) but some people have said hurtful things to me such as " Listening to your voice on the phone , I was expecting a tall beautiful blonde . " " Wow , was I surprised when I finally met the woman behind that voice ... not exactly what I expected . " The most hurtful of all , " I was impressed with you on the phone, until I met you . " LOL the last comment came from a business associate of hubby's . The man had drank a few too many cocktails . I am just thankful to talk at all ... as at birth , my tongue was tied down by a membrane and it had to be clipped before I could cry or be fed. Strange as it sounds, it must be genitic , because atleast two other girls on my dad's side of the family were born tongue tied. I love all the Uk accents , by the way .
    • CommentTimeNov 15th, 2007 9:31am (Nov 15th 2007)

Hi Janice,

Wow that's awful how some people can say such horrid things - you should have given your hubby's business associate a quick knee to the groin for that!

I'd never thought where the term "tongue tied" came from until your post - still so early in the morning and I've learnt something new already - thank you!

Wouldn't it be cool if we all could upload a sound file of yourself saying "hi" to the forum, then when you click on their name you get their audio welcome message - if I get some time I'll do it!
    • CommentTimeNov 15th, 2007 2:42pm (Nov 15th 2007)

I thought I'd take the test - it says I'm from the Northeast! I saw on a programme recently that the black country accent is really close to german, the way some vowels are pronounced. They tried to demonstrate but I couldn't hear it at all.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 15th, 2007 6:06pm (Nov 15th 2007)

Ah - so maybe a Boston accent Kate. Or, no, probably more like a Maine accent. That is very cool to think about.
    • CommentTimeNov 15th, 2007 7:46pm (Nov 15th 2007)

I'm hoping one day to have a Maine Coon cat. Does this mean it'll be able to understand me?!!!!! :D
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2007 2:25am (Nov 16th 2007)

Yes, Kate...your kitty will be able to understand every word you say.:-) :-) You made me giggle with that one.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2007 5:40am (Nov 16th 2007)

Oh me too - so sweet & funny. I hope you get that kitty sooner than later. They are HUGE tho, eh?
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2007 10:48am (Nov 16th 2007) edited

My Dad used to write dialect poetry (for Neil - One was a series "Young Fred" in Dalesman magazine). We used to argue over how words were pronounced as his dialect was from the next village, only a mile away and in some aspects, different from mine.
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2007 1:13pm (Nov 16th 2007)

My husband says no more until the ones we've got have gone. He's probably right - there are 3 of them and they don't get on at all. Considering 2 of them are mother and son its a real pain! They can't even walk past each other without having a swipe, but as the youngest is 10 I could have a long wait on my hands! My son works with a guy who's wife breeds Maine Coons so I might be able to get a good deal on a pet quality one.

I'm going to the Supreme Cat Show tomorrow - me and my son go every year just to wander round and look at the beautiful cats. He loves to spend time having conversations with Siamese cats (they really do answer him!) and I like to see the moggies (pets) that are no particular breed but can still take part. And of course the Maine Coons - we make a bee line for them!
    • CommentTimeNov 17th, 2007 10:29am (Nov 17th 2007) edited

My daughter has two Burmese cats, they are one year old brothers. One brown and one blue - and named just that too.
    I used to breed Burmese a long time ago, we sold them in pairs if we could, much more fun. one guy even came back for a third!
    The mother would do all the housetraining of the kits, so no struggles there!
    Have always found them to be loving cats, much more friendly that the Siamese and not at all aloof.
    • CommentTimeNov 17th, 2007 10:06pm (Nov 17th 2007)

It was lovely to see all the cats again today, but the show wasn't as good as previous years - not many stands and those that were there were a lot smaller. Perhaps that's a sign of a recession! The Maine Coons were fab as ever, and my son's girlfriend decided she doesn't like Siamese cat tails (funny coming from a girl who has a rat as a pet!) She was also really nervous about being around the Siamese - she's pregnant and believed that they kill babies! (Thanks Walt Disney!) Her mom has told her that all cats will try to kill babies so she's really worried about my 3 now. :( She did, however, like the Rex's because of their curly fur. There was a 14 week old (Rex) kitten that was just the cutest thing there.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2007 1:17am (Nov 18th 2007)

I think that rumor comes from cats trying to sleep on babies and looking, therefore, like they want to smother them. My parents had a cat that wanted to sleep on me when I was a newborn. Poor kitty, they gave her away.
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2007 2:51am (Nov 18th 2007)

I had to give my siamese cat away when I was pregnant because the doctor said that cats carried a bacteria in their feces which could cause the baby to have birth defects. She was so sweet and I miss her after all those years. I miscarried by first baby at 3 months gestation ( and the baby would have had defects but it might not have been from the cat ). When I was in the hospital with the miscarriage, my husband had to come home that night and he said that Princess paced around looking for me and she would cry out so pitifully. When she would be due to have kittens, she would always wait until I got home before she had tthem, or so it seemed. She had three litters while she lived with us. Are any of you familar with the Ragdoll cat ? Mine looks like a longhaired Siamese.
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2007 2:56am (Nov 18th 2007)

My husband told me that Morgan Freeman's ginger tom " Homeboy" passed away at the age of 17 years. That has to be a record of it's own .
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2007 9:22am (Nov 18th 2007) edited

Cats like to sleep in a warm place and so will snuggle up to a baby but are not keen on their snuffly faces.
    It is true cats have bacteria in their faeces (don't we all?) but who lets their baby play in the cat tray?
    As a midwife I have never actually come across, or heard of, a case of either.
    My neighbour has a Ragdoll, they are gorgeous!
    One morning my Burmese birthed three of her babies but waited till I got back from work to birth the other three.
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2007 11:33am (Nov 18th 2007)

I think cats like the warmth a baby generates and the closed in space of a crib. The bacteria is only in their faeces and as long as you either get someone else to clean the tray (is that not what partners are for?!) or use rubber gloves then its not a problem. So many cats are abandoned because of these rumours.

My middle cat had a litter of kittens and came and found me to sit with her whilst she had them. All the time she was pregnant she used to sit on my lap (something she NEVER does) and seemed really calm when I stroked her belly while they kicked. She had 5 babies and about half an hour after the last one arrived she swiped at me as if to say "clear off, I can manage now"! Back to normal!

I held a Rag Doll at the cat show the first year I went (about 6 years ago). It was unbelieveable the way they settle right down and relax into your arms - such a laid back breed and so calming to hold. Beautiful blue eyes too.
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2007 11:13pm (Nov 18th 2007) edited

My beloved kitty Winnie, who passed away several years ago, was a Calico, had Rag Doll in her DNA apparently.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    At least that is what the vet said. When she would go to the vet - they had a lot of trouble palpating her abdomen because when squeezed there she would just collapse in a heap. I had to drive with her from California to Washington once. A 13 hour trip. I had a slightly tight halter on her and as a result she just lay on the seat next to me, with her little head on my lap, the whole way. (I didn't know the halter had caused that until later.)
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2007 11:23pm (Nov 18th 2007)

Did it hurt her then or just stop her running around the car? Surely a good thing!

I had an 'entire' ginger tom who, on a trip to the vet to get his paw stitched, escaped from his box and 'sprayed' in the car. Needless to say he was a neuter when I went to collect him after that, and the car stunk for the rest of the time I had it. Nothing removed that smell! He hid under the seat and almost pulled all the carpet out with him when I tried to get him out!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 19th, 2007 12:14am (Nov 19th 2007)

Lol - altho I know it wasn't funny at the time. There's nothing quite as bad as that smell.

I put a photo of Winnie into my last post Kate :) No - doesn't seem like the halter hurt her at all, so I guess it was good. After driving that long straight thru, I drove into my friends' driveway, opened the truck door climbed out and suddenly realized my legs weren't working as I collapsed in a heap. All very exciting for the people coming out of the house to greet me lol. Winnie just washed herself & ate, as I recall. I take occasional breaks on all road trips now :D
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeNov 19th, 2007 4:43am (Nov 19th 2007)

Ollie, the disease is toxoplasmosis and it is a danger to the developing fetus and can result in miscarriage, stillbirth or severe complications such as blindness. I most certainly never let my child play in a litterbox But living in a trailer next to my property are 4 women with a total of 10 children. The babies crawl around in filth and eat dod food and cat food and forget them even having a litterbox for their six cats and house training for their dog. Social services does nothing to remedy the situation . None of the women work and their income comes from government assistance. One had a baby on Christmas and is due to have another any day now. When they finally let the dog outside it drags poopy diapers over to my yard. I used to be a social worker and thought I had seen it all but these women top it all. So yes, there are folks who let their kids crawl around in a litter box.... just not decent folks.
    • CommentTimeNov 19th, 2007 10:37am (Nov 19th 2007) edited

Yes Janice, part of my working patch was the travelling peoples' caravan site. Some of them were like that but most were a lot cleaner than conventional folks.
    Toxoplasmosis is a parasite that can also be caught from undercooked infected meat. Most people have developed antibodies at some time. One of the ante-natal blood tests looked for this and we would counsel women who did not have the antibodies to be careful so as not to infect the fetus, which is very dangerous.
    Keeping the kitty litter cleaned out daily is one way as the oocysts take a couple of days or so to become a medical problem.
    End of lecture...
    • CommentTimeNov 19th, 2007 2:18pm (Nov 19th 2007)

Gosh Diane she was a real cutey! My Emmett is the same colouring and the vet told my that tortoishell (calico) is the cat equivalent of a red-head - firey temperament but pretty and elegant too!

Ollie, am I right in thinking that it only affects a foetus? i.e. a child big enough to get themselves into a litter tray will already have built up some antibodies? Is it that one that causes blindness or can it cause other things too? There are some real dirty people around, but then it seems some are going the other way now and any speck of dirt is fastidiously scrubbed and bleached. My kids played out and enjoyed themselves and if they ate sweets with a dirty hand while playing then so be it! They were both very healthy kids whilst growing up.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 19th, 2007 7:59pm (Nov 19th 2007)

Oh thank you Kate. My heart still clenches up when I think of her - I loved that girl so. Well, still do. I saw Emmett's photo on here somewhere right? I remember getting a little teary-eyed. (And learning she's a female.)

Ollie - I didn't know that, about daily cleaning. Thanks! And you got to work with some travellers - that is very very cool. Maybe because I am a rootless/cultureless American (unlike Janice who has the lovely deep roots that southerners and easterners can have in this country) I am very intrigued by ethnic communities such as the travellers. Maybe even more so because they didn't want to interact with me when I lived in Corfu. Maybe that's another American thing - ignore me and you have my total attention! :D
    • CommentTimeNov 19th, 2007 8:09pm (Nov 19th 2007)

Anyone without aquired antibodies can be infected at any time. If you look at Wikki' or similar for 'Toxoplasmosis' there is loads of info'.
    My grandaughter was/is brought up in a house of dubious cleanliness but I turn a blind eye as I know it can help to aquire immunities, much better than course after course of antibiotics that then leads to more immunity problems.
    Our chucks are just blobs of feathers tonight. They look really cosy.
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2007 2:47am (Nov 20th 2007)

Diane, your Winnie was a beautiful kitty. I'm sorry you lost her.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2007 5:48am (Nov 20th 2007)

Oh, thank you Lynn. She made the world sing.
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2007 3:43pm (Nov 20th 2007)

Yes, I did put a photo of Emmett on one of the strings! She's a gorgeous cat, but can get really annoying when she vomits on my son's bed and the new carpets!! Don't know why she does it but it happens 3 or 4 times a month at least (and she always vomits twice in each episode!) I still love her though and NEVER punish her for it.

Ollie - are the oocysts in the faeces or urine? I remove the former every day, but do a full change of litter once or twice a week and am wondering if I've done enough.
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2007 8:10pm (Nov 20th 2007)

The oocysts are in the faeces as the paracites live in the bowel. Clearing out litter trays daily is good practice to keep it all at bay. It is the faeces that are left in gardens etc where contamination can be easily picked up. Some say they live a year or even two out there.

Re Emmett, some cats eat grasses that make them vommit. Don't know why they need to do this. Ask next time you are at the vets and let us know pls.
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2007 9:48pm (Nov 20th 2007)

Yes, all 3 of my cats have done the grass-eating-throwing-up thing. She tends to do it in the early hours of the morning, but because she's overweight the vet can't see past that and blames everything on her size. Perhaps it is - she's done it for several years, and has been fat even longer! I suppose it could be something to do with the way she lies that interferes with her digestion. I will ask next time we go the vets though.
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2007 9:49pm (Nov 20th 2007)

Sorry, forgot to say thanks for the info on the oocysts!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 21st, 2007 5:06am (Nov 21st 2007)

I have a kitty (Maya) who I worry about because of how much she vomits. She, also, was quite rotund. She's also the low kitty on the totem pole, the most submissive and easily pushed around by the others.

After my vet said: "some cats just puke a lot," I decided to start watching Maya closely myself (because this doesn't make sense to me.) What I realized was she was gulping down her food and looking anxiously at her brother and Holly (the dog) while she ate. Also - for some reason, half way through their meals, Martin (who would go first) and Maya would trade food dishes. Martin having consumed most of his and Maya having about half of her's left. So he was getting by far the better deal!

So, I've started feeding her in the bathroom away from the others. Its taken some adjustment - initially Maya ate even less because, lets face it - cats hate change, but now she's eating more of her own food and she has gotten to a more normal looking weight. The only other change I've made it so be really really sure that all of the soap is out of her bowl after I wash it...
    • CommentTimeNov 21st, 2007 9:57pm (Nov 21st 2007)

Emmett displays very similar characteristics to Maya - she sometimes bolts her food when the others are around but I've never really tied it in with her vomiting. She was sick again this morning but I only found a tiny spot - I hope there's no big patch hiding away somewhere for me to find when I least expect it! I'll have to take more notice and see if I can work it out.