• CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2009 9:54am (Dec 2nd 2009)

I forgot to tell you my neighbour put her Christmas tree up last week and is now busy with the rest of the decorations. Any one else with Christmas items to share? I see Neil put us some rather festive snow flakes on to get us in the mood.
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2009 10:23am (Dec 2nd 2009)

I have to finish my Christmas piccalilli off today. I meant to make it a couple of weeks ago but had to much to do. It is really yummy and so much better than the shop bought one. I don't make as much as I used to when the boys were small, they used to love helping and the run up to the big day was all part of the fun.
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2009 4:54pm (Dec 2nd 2009)

I loooove Crimbo...except when people ring up to get their piaos tuned BEFORE CHRISTMAS...when they haven't bothered having it done for the last few years. And they're amazed that I haven't been sitting on my hands just waiting for them to call...:\
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2009 10:58pm (Dec 2nd 2009)

I'm not a christmas person - probably because hubby is a real bah-humbug! Also there are so many birthdays in December it distracts me from getting prepared. And I'm useless at choosing presents.
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd, 2009 10:47am (Dec 3rd 2009)

I must admit choosing presents is about the hardest thing for me as well. Every thing else I love though. Grandad North loves helping out in the kitchen with all the Christmas treats which makes it all a bit more fun. I do all the decorations though as he makes a pigs ear out of them and it drives me nuts if they look wonky.
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd, 2009 11:52am (Dec 3rd 2009)

I just find that time gets away from me, and even though I start off with all good intentions I quickly run out of time. Work is so busy - I took 4 days off this week (which is why I get a rare view of the coop in daylight!) but I haven't done much with the time because I just can't make up my mind where to start. See - no planning!

I've just ordered some stuff off Amazon and as soon as I hit the "place order" button I remembered I hadn't gone through the Hencam link. Damnation. I was really good last year and remembered every time.
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd, 2009 1:20pm (Dec 3rd 2009)

I used to have a theme for my present buying, it concentrates the mind somewhat.
    Now-a-days I don't have so many to buy and I find cash much more appropriate, often tucked away inside a novelty or something small.
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd, 2009 6:06pm (Dec 3rd 2009)

Posted By: KatebI've just ordered some stuff off Amazon and as soon as I hit the "place order" button I remembered I hadn't gone through the Hencam link.

I put Hencam on my 'favorites' list as 'Hencamazon' to remind me, instead of putting Amazon on it. It works...most of the time! :)
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd, 2009 11:12pm (Dec 3rd 2009)

That's a good idea! I'm just having a brain-fade day today I think. Having more and more as I get older!
    • CommentTimeDec 4th, 2009 4:51am (Dec 4th 2009)

Brain? Wossat then? :tooth:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeDec 4th, 2009 2:11pm (Dec 4th 2009)

I have done almost all the wrapping and almost all the cards.:tongue_smilie:
    Mind you, that is only because I'm going away in a weeks time and need to get it all done in time.
    I don't have to worry about getting any festive food in since I will be Christmassy elsewhere. :thumbup:
    • CommentTimeDec 4th, 2009 5:48pm (Dec 4th 2009)

Where you off to then? Somewhere good?
    • CommentTimeDec 4th, 2009 7:23pm (Dec 4th 2009)

You have done real well Init I got most things but need to get a a couple of small items. Thats a good idea Ollie, I think I will try that next year. My Neighbour is going on holiday over the Christmas period, she said she was unsure about it when her Hubby booked it as a suprise pressy for her but is real excited now.
    • CommentTimeDec 5th, 2009 12:22am (Dec 5th 2009)

My elderly Mum found all her friends were going away at Christmas, so she booked herself into a posh hotel and lived like a film star!
    I had sent her a box of numerous small gifts, so she used that as her Christmas stocking.
    She enjoyed it so much she said she would do it again.

I spent one Christmas in a hotel with some of my husband's family. I didn't realise that hotels put on such a Christmas surprise. We had gifts and all sorts of events.
    • CommentTimeDec 5th, 2009 6:10pm (Dec 5th 2009)

Sounds real good to me, every thing done for you no cooking and washing up. Lots of people all around to have a party with. Well cool.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2009 1:20pm (Dec 7th 2009)

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:
    I'm off to US of A :yay_jump::yay_jump::yay_jump: on the 14th and don't come back till the 31st.

I booked this holiay for myself back in July because I needed to have something nice to look forward to.

I'm leaving my Mum to her own devices with lots of friends looking in on her so she will nto be on her own.
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2009 2:22am (Dec 8th 2009)

That is wonderful news init, you deserve a break that's for sure. Have a really relaxing and enjoyable time.
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2009 10:04am (Dec 8th 2009)

Good for you Init just what you need after all the worry you have been through this year. I am sure you will have a great time and look forward to you telling us all about it on your return
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2009 1:50pm (Dec 8th 2009)

OH I will. I plan on keeping a travel log and might even post it on this blog thing that I keep meaning to start. Just never enough hours int he day to do all this but keep trying and keep meaning to.
    This time I will make sure and post some photos. I will read the notes on how to post and see if i can make a proper hash of it. :-)

Looking forward to the break.
    Flying to Chicago, staying with my brother. He lives north of Chicago. Hiring a car, driving to Crowley Texas. Stopping to meet friends along the way (Little Rock, Arkansas) and then spendign 4/5 days with a very good friend in Crowley, Texas, driving back up to Chicago via Memphis, Tenassee. also stopping by at Bloomington, IL and then back to Chicago.
    Flying to Washington DC. Staying with my youngest brother there. bit of retail therapy. Christmas at their house. meeting up with a couple of friends who live in that area.
    back to Chicago and then flying back on the 31st so will see the New Year in up in the air. :-)

:-) :-)
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2009 11:38pm (Dec 8th 2009)

Does that mean you'll get to celebrate it twice, or are you heading in the wrong direction for that?! Never did get my head around time lines and who gets there first!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2009 1:13pm (Dec 9th 2009)

not quite sure myself.. :-)
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2009 9:18pm (Dec 9th 2009)

I came round the world from East to West in an anti-clockwise direction (ie., Japan to UK, over Moscow) and landed a day before I expected!

Does that help?
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2009 9:45pm (Dec 9th 2009)

Maybe that means you won't get to celebrate it at all then Shobhna! Better make up for that while you're there!!
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2009 10:54pm (Dec 9th 2009)

Wow Shobhna that is some trip you have planned. I wish Washington state were closer to the places you will be, but I'm a couple of thousand miles too far away...pooh!..or should that be Runny Pooh??:bigsmile:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2009 8:12am (Dec 10th 2009) edited

I am already celebrating Christmas... :-)
    This weekend my good friend is coming to stay and we will have a proper, table fully laden type of meal :-)
    Then I get to celebrate when I get to my friend Jackie's house in Texas, then I get to celebrate again in Chicago and again in Washington DC.

I will be all Christmassed out. :drinkparty::drinkparty::aparty2::cheer::jumping::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Lynn, I wish I was coming by to see you. You could do with a hug right now....though there is always another time since I visit US quite often anyway and I have plans to do other states. Much as it is alwasy nice to got to Chicago and Washington DC.
    I actually like Chicago. Lovely city. Love the lakes too.
    I need to do the West side of America too....so just watch this space. :-)...there again, if I can find me a rich American to keep me in the manner I wish to become accustomed to:001_wub:, then there is nothing stopping me from moving to that side of the pond.
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2009 8:47pm (Dec 10th 2009)

Every thing sounds wonderful Init, no wonder you are getting so excited. I am hoping to feel a bit better so I can start getting every thing started here !!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeDec 11th, 2009 8:00am (Dec 11th 2009)

NN, what's wrong?
    I hope it is just the usual winter cold and you get over it quick, or try drowning it with whisky and ginger wine. :-)
    Look on it this way...get it over with now so you can enjoy the festivities.
    • CommentTimeDec 11th, 2009 2:08pm (Dec 11th 2009)

Christmas = LOVE IT!!

It's the Christmas party at the union tonight (Scott Mills, Radio 1 DJ will be there!), we're exchanging presents tonight between friends, tomorrow me and Lyle are swapping some presents, and we've had the christmas tree up in our room for a week or so now...Christmas rocks :cool:

Some of the houses round here had lights up halfway through November though :o
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2009 5:10am (Dec 12th 2009)

I've always loved Christmas. It's going to be a little strange this year without Mom, but I'll make the best of it.
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2009 6:50pm (Dec 12th 2009)

I LOVE CHRISTMAS..I love seeing the children open there gifts. I dont like all the rubbish, wrapping paper, plastic the toys come in, boxess, My poor binmen.

I do the dinner, This is the one day of the year i have a drink...

Love all the tacky tinsel,and lights..
    I do wish i had more family,so i could do that family around the table thing. Does anyone do that... When im a granny i'll have the whole family around for christmas.
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2009 10:21am (Dec 14th 2009)

I love Chrissy too Sara, all the pretty lights and tinsel bits. I am still a big kid at heart. Even though it is summer here we always manage to have a lovely time. One advantage here with the good weather is the wonderful outdoor 'carols by candlight' concerts they have on Christmas eve in our capital cities and some smaller towns too.

On Christmas eve Brian (who is Danish) and I usually sit down to some Scandinavian dishes in honour of his heritage, I am quite an adventurous cook and love tasting and trying different dishes. We watch the carols on tv and swap a small gift then too.

On Christmas day we are having lunch here this year, just the six of us but we have a great time, then daughter-in-law, son and grand daughter will go to her family an hour away for evening meal and stay overnight.
    I try to do as much ahead as possible and am fairly organised already.

You will have a lovely day I know, doesn't matter if you are many or few it's what you make of the day.:heartsabove:
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2009 3:31pm (Dec 14th 2009)

How delightful to hear all about your Christmas Trev's Mum, It sounds lovely and I agree with you it is all about what you make of the day. I love the way you encorporate the Scandinavian theme into you festivities as well.
    I am hoping to get my seasonal things restarted now as I am feeling much better. I just tire out very quickly so it is all a matter of pacing myself. I had a shufty through the gifts I already have this afternoon and discovered that I have almost every thing so that was a relief as I need to stay away from crowds at the moment.
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2009 7:25pm (Dec 14th 2009)

My daughter has me to her home for Christmas Day.
    First to the "Opening presents" ceremony and then through the day with the dining room, now having had it's annual clear out, put into full use.

Son in Law cooks the dinner, so it includes his German Mum's red cabbage recipe, which is gorgeous!
    There is every available veg on there, also little sausages wrapped in bacon and all sorts of other such goodies.
    We don't bother with Christmas pud - there isn't any tummy room.

It really is great having family together at this time.
    We are a very small family, though my hubby had a large family and we have "Parker Parties" from time to time. The next is to say goodbye to a nephew who is taking his family to Australia in the New Year.
    His brother went three years ago but they are to be a long way apart still. Melbourne and Brisbane I think.

I enjoy Christmas day enormously but then also enjoy the quiet of my home, on my own, for the next couple of days.
    We were married on a Boxing Day, which that year was on December 27th, and always had the day peacefully to ourselves. Ron wasn't one for celebrations....
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2009 8:08pm (Dec 14th 2009)

Oh Ollie how lovely to have got married on Boxing day. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone else being married on that day before. It sure sounds as if you have a fun packed day and a fantastic meal. That German red cabbage sounds real yummy. Maybe you could cadge the recipe off him for me.

I have a christmas pud that must be a heirloom by now. Goodness knows how many years old it is . It is always a laugh of "Mum has a Christmas pud if any one has room." I don't think it is edible now though I don't even know why I keep it.
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2009 9:30pm (Dec 14th 2009)

My Parents in Law were married on Boxing Day, also their other son. None of them were into celebrating this but the local paper found out (via one of the sisters) when it was our Silver wed day it was also parents Golden and the other couple were on an odd number. So we got our pics in the local rag.

Your Christmas pud should be nice and mature by now and very yummy. I laugh at the "sell-by" dates I see on these items in the shops. Gosh, we always made ours in January so would be OK for next Christmas or even later Christmases. If it looks and smells OK when you examine it, then go ahead. Or you may want to keep it as a family heirloom!
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2009 10:16pm (Dec 14th 2009)

My hubby isn't one for celebrating anything - our 25th wedding anniversary went by with nothing more than a meal with our 2 sons and the yongest's partner and baby (Rachael and Caitlyn).

Last year the 3 of them came round in the morning then went to Rachael's parents for dinner (she has 2 brothers, a sister and her family). I don't mind though - we get to see them pretty often as they only live a couple of minutes away, and I feel so sorry for all those poor people who are torn about where to go and who they 'should' be spending Christmas with. As long as we see them at some point during the day, I don't mind when.
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2009 1:48am (Dec 15th 2009)

Is your "Christmas Pudding" anything like our "Fruit Cake" that never gets eaten over here, NN and Olie??? Fruit cake is gawd awful.
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2009 3:52pm (Dec 15th 2009)

I always invite the oldman i look after,who live 6doors away.Ken to watch the children open there gift and have christmas breakfast with us, otherwise he would be sat in his house alone.Which he used to do before we met him. Imet him when i used to work as a cleaner for an agancy, Now he is grandad to my children, I think i've told you about him. About 11.30 he get's picked up and goes to his old friends house for lunch. Then it's just me and hubby and my children, We have lunch, then i try and EAT AS MUCH PUDDING AS I CAN. I LOVE IT.......

This year i have found some family members on facebook. One lives in oz, My aunty, One live in west yorkshire.
    The one from west yorkshire Aunty Gill is Charlotte's god mother,We lost contact about 9years ago.
    Well she is coming down on the 28th with her children and staying for the night, this is going to make my christmas.Just having a little bit of family to share christmas with means alot.
    I just dont like the thought that out there somewhere there are people alone, its very upsetting.
    • CommentTimeDec 16th, 2009 7:25pm (Dec 16th 2009)

Christmas: The time when everyone gets Santamental.
    • CommentTimeDec 16th, 2009 8:53pm (Dec 16th 2009)

:rolling:
    • CommentTimeDec 17th, 2009 8:44am (Dec 17th 2009)

Ollie wrote: The next is to say goodbye to a nephew who is taking his family to Australia in the New Year.

Ollie I live an hour away from Melbourne, the capital city of Victoria. We have a moderate climate here with 4 seasons and snow only in the snow fields up the mountain a few hours away.

Brisbane (the capital city of Queensland) is quite warm, tropical with a wet and a dry season and can be very humid. Too hot for us down here. We have a much drier heat.:weather_hot:
    • CommentTimeDec 17th, 2009 7:46pm (Dec 17th 2009)

Just before Christmas God was looking down at Earth and saw all of the evil that was going on. He decided to send an angel down to Earth to check it out. So he called one of His best angels and sent the angel to Earth for a time. When she returned she told God, yes it is bad on Earth, 95% is bad and 5% is good.

God said this was not good. So He decided to email the 5% that were good.
    He wanted to encourage them, give them a little something to help them keep going.

Do you know what that email said?
    Ah, so you didn't get one either?
    • CommentTimeDec 17th, 2009 10:57pm (Dec 17th 2009)

Very good NN!! I'd forward it to you but my mailbox was over its limit so I deleted it. LOL!!
    • CommentTimeDec 18th, 2009 7:23pm (Dec 18th 2009)

I probably got it while my pooter was broke...:devil: :tooth:
    • CommentTimeDec 20th, 2009 7:35pm (Dec 20th 2009)

Must just be me been naughty this year then Ha ha
    • CommentTimeDec 20th, 2009 8:14pm (Dec 20th 2009)

That's a definite...:D
    • CommentTimeDec 21st, 2009 8:12pm (Dec 21st 2009)

Ever had trouble knowing or understanding the words to a song? Check these out..........

Deck the halls with Buddy Holly.
    We three kings of porridge and tar.
    On the first day of Christmas, my tulip gave to me.
    Sleep in heavenly peas.
    In the meadow we can build a snowman; then pretend that he is sparse and brown.
    He's making a list, chicken and rice.
    Noel, Noel, Barney's the King of Israel.
    Olive, the other reindeer...
    Frosty the Snowman is a ferret elf, I say.
    You'll go down in Listerine.
    Oh, what fun it is to ride with one horse, soap and hay.
    Come, froggy faithful.
    • CommentTimeDec 21st, 2009 11:37pm (Dec 21st 2009)

NN. That is exactly how I get the words when I don't use my (hated) hearing aids.

I drive my g'daughter nuts asking her to repeat stuff....
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd, 2009 9:22am (Dec 22nd 2009)

When I was a youngster there was a sort of field full of shrubby type trees in it called the plantation, We were forbidden to play in there as some one had been attacked in there at one time. In the Lords prayer it says, lead us not into temptation. I always thought it said lead us not into plantation.
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd, 2009 1:14pm (Dec 22nd 2009)

ollie im the same, I thought i was going deaf,had my ears tested, they said i have dry skin in my ear, I still can't hear my daughter to well, she talks so quitely, I was given drops,dut i still having trouble in one ear hearing,x
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd, 2009 1:17pm (Dec 22nd 2009)

Nn, your comment is funny,
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd, 2009 6:50pm (Dec 22nd 2009)

Teenagers mumble, Sara; they barely open their mouths to speak and then roll their eyes when you ask them to repeat themselves. I accompanied a girl for a music exam and it was like getting blood out of a stone to get her to speak and when she did she just mumbled to her feet.
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2009 8:08pm (Dec 23rd 2009)

She might have been suffering from exam nerves poor kid
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2009 8:39pm (Dec 23rd 2009)

Nope, she was the same when she came round with a bottle to say thankyou when she passed. I thought perhaps she was knocking for a corkscrew, but eventually she made herself understood...:\
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2009 9:01pm (Dec 23rd 2009)

It was kind of her to bring you a bottle
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2009 9:47pm (Dec 23rd 2009)

I think Mummy made her do it...:):drinkparty:
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2009 11:49pm (Dec 23rd 2009)

Yes we do that us mum's , As teenager's only thing of themself's. And mine has been a pain the the .... today..
    • CommentTimeDec 24th, 2009 1:08pm (Dec 24th 2009)

Well we have all been there and done it ourselves when we were teenagers.
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeDec 24th, 2009 7:49pm (Dec 24th 2009)

Yes indeed
    • CommentTimeDec 24th, 2009 8:11pm (Dec 24th 2009)

My friend Margaret just got home from a two week cruise today, she has a lovely tan but it was a bit of a shock to her to be back in all our glorious snow !!!!