Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeNov 13th, 2007 3:51am (Nov 13th 2007) edited

We just watched "March of the Penguins" on dvd. Have you seen it? Really great documentary. What amazing birds!
    • CommentTimeNov 13th, 2007 2:48pm (Nov 13th 2007)

Is it a sad ending? I hate doom and gloom ones about global warming - they make me cry. I've seen clips on tv and it looks like an amazing piece of film work.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 13th, 2007 7:00pm (Nov 13th 2007)

No - no sad ending and doesn't really address global warming. Its just an amazing glimpse of some truly astounding creatures. I don't watch too many nature films because I end up crying my eyes out. This one has some sad moments but bearable...
    • CommentTimeNov 13th, 2007 11:39pm (Nov 13th 2007)

Perhaps I'll give it a go then. I find I cry at any animal cruelty - there was a story in our national paper yesterday about a flock of sheep that had been killed by presumably dogs. Its thought a person herded them into a corner so that the dogs could attack. Some were dead, the rest had to be put down because of their injuries. Its also thought that Prince Harry shot 2 rare hawks recently, but won't be prosecuted because of lack of evidence. What do people see in blood sports? It must be so traumatic to work for someone like the RSPCA (Royal (ha!) Society for the Protection of Animals). I think you have a version of that in America - there was a "fly on the wall" type programme about them?
    • CommentTimeNov 14th, 2007 1:07am (Nov 14th 2007)

I have the movie on DVD, but I haven't watched it yet because my daughter said it made her cry, if she did, so would I. I don't watch many nature films either, Diane for the same reason as you.

Kate, yes we do have an ASPCA here, it has improved some in the past few years, ( not enough though). We also have a lot of "no kill" shelters that do a much better job of taking care of lost or abandoned critters.
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeNov 14th, 2007 3:04am (Nov 14th 2007)

March of the Penguins is narriated by Morgan Freeman . When he is not in Hollywood , he is at his home in Mississippi and is my neighbor to the west. He lives about 1 mile off the main highway and his house and land can not be seen because of the trees and shrubs. He likes coming home to Mississippi because people and paparazzi do not chase him and as he says , I'm just plain ole Morgan when I'm here. " He likes to be able to ride his horse and fish on the public lake without being chased . I wanted to ask him to drive me around the town square once while I sat in the back of my Cadillac ( after I saw him in Driving Miss Daisy) and get his autograph. My husband said " Now way !!!!! " as that would be a big insult to Morgan . I could certainly see how ill mannered that would have been of me. Morgan has a blues club and restruant in the next larger town ( called Ground Zero ). My son does inpersonations and loves to do the voice of Morgan Freeman . My son's act is called the Bo Show and some parts of it is at Myspace.com/170 voices. He has a few of his little tv commercials on there too.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 14th, 2007 4:05pm (Nov 14th 2007)

Kate - thinking about it, the film has definitely got its sad moments. It shows 9 or 10 months of the Emperor Penguins lives and its not all good... I believe I shut my eyes through the worst parts, so I may not have seen all of it. :( Its just that these birds are so very amazing that its more worth it than usual AND the ending isn't sad :D

Janice - Morgan Freeman rocks !!

It is completely beyond me why hunting is fun for anyone. My father taught me to fish and I loved it until I caught a fish and watched it struggling for its life. That was the end for me. I had loved the excuse for time with my father but not at the expense of a life.
    • CommentTimeNov 14th, 2007 9:35pm (Nov 14th 2007)

My mom used to watch nature programmes all the time when I was a child, and I always used to wonder why they didn't stop the lion catching the gazelle, then I wondered why the lions were starving and why someone didn't feed them. It took me a long while to realise that even though nature can be cruel, its necessary for some species to prey on others to survive. However, they don't kill for fun and it annoys me when people say other humans were "acting like animals". No, they were acting like humans unfortunately, we are often very cruel to our own kind and others. I often wonder if the world would be a better place without us (though I think cows need us to milk them don't they?!)

Morgan Freeman is ace. I saw him on a chat show recently and he seemed really down to earth and 'normal', and had a great sense of humour. I get really star-struck if I'm around anyone remotely famous.
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeNov 14th, 2007 10:17pm (Nov 14th 2007)

Morgan Freeman is a fine man and a great actor. He is one of my personal favorites. There is a good article about him in Wikipedia and a nice article about the little town of Charleston, Mississippi, where he lives . Morgan usually does not mention the exact town, as he likes to enjoy his time away from Tinsletown. One thing he did nice for the children of Charlseton , many years ago, was to pay to air condition the schools. He is honored by having the high school named MORGAN FREEMAN HIGH SCHOOL. He also has done much moneywise to enable the little TALLAHATCHIE COUNTY HOSPITAL to remain open. Good ole Tallahatchie County. It has to be the most unusually shaped county in the USA . We like to say it has a cat's tail but it is all in the eye of the beholder. LOL hehe.
    • CommentTimeNov 14th, 2007 11:50pm (Nov 14th 2007)

That's a really nice thing he did. I know the 'locals' are aware of his generosity, but its good that he didn't make a big thing of it, just quietly sponsored something that was really useful and of benefit to all the kids in his own community (rather than adopting an orphan from Africa or Cambodia like other 'stars'!)

I googled Tallahatchie county and can see the cat with a tail shape! So cute!
    • CommentTimeNov 15th, 2007 11:27am (Nov 15th 2007) edited

It looks like a beautiful place, and according to Wiki it was only founded in 1833. This was 4 years before our house was built! :)

When did the early settlers arrive in the US?
    • CommentTimeNov 15th, 2007 7:59pm (Nov 15th 2007)

Wow - your house is really old! I bet its seen a few comings and goings in its time. Do you know much of the history of former ownership?
    • CommentTimeNov 15th, 2007 9:52pm (Nov 15th 2007)

I'm not too sure I keep meaning to check up on the online census - I'm sure it would have a few stories to tell!

I do know that the devil was once supposedly raised on Wilsden Hill, probably somewhere near our garden! It was to stop a spate of petty thefts (the devil spoke with a thick Yorkshire accent and said something like "them that stole t'scissors will face damnation"...!)

It's all in a book on the local history that we have which I really should read again...
    • CommentTimeNov 15th, 2007 11:57pm (Nov 15th 2007)

Oooh Niel, now you have set me off. I never thought of lookng into the online census.
    I lived 18 years in a house that had a kitchen built on which was actually older than the bit it was built on to.. sounds daft, I know. We had three small dogs and they would some nights sit and howl at an upper corner of the room. Many years later we heard that a young man had hanged himself in the ex-Inn that was associated with this building.
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2007 5:49am (Nov 16th 2007)

Olllie, speaking of living in a haunted house, I moved into a big house once that was very old and that many families had lived in brfore over the years. It had a big room that could be entered from the driveway and the rest of that side of the house was built up over that room . Right where my kitchen table sat , there was an old cistern ( water well ) underneath in that ground level room. I had a big yellow cat who loved to get up on the table and stretch out and pose for pictures. One night I took a Poliroid and snapped his picture. It was a beautiful clear picture so I decided to snap another. The second picture came out black with the exception that it showed the mage of a little boy who looked to be a mere toddler. He had on a white nighty and a white cap. It was just clear enough to make out facial features. One day I went to the library and found that in 1925 there was a family living in my house who had a little boy drown in that cistern .
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2007 6:04am (Nov 16th 2007)

Neil , I love stories about the devil and the deals people have made . They very well be more than just stories though. Scary as it sounds. I am reminded of a funny story that my grandparents told me about an old man named Neal Morris who lived in the mountains . Some people had been stealing eggs from Neal's henhouse so he decided to scare the living daylights out of them or as the hill people say " break the dog from sucking eggs ". He took a hen's egg and with a wax pen wrote, " I Thou GOD knoweth you Stealeth . " He then dyed the egg black and the words remained white . Neil hid behind the henhouse and was dressed up like the devil. When the theif picked up the egg and read the message, he bolted out the door minus the eggs and there stood the "devil ." Neal had no further problems with eggs being stolen .
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2007 6:16am (Nov 16th 2007)

This is in response to Neil (re: settlers)

It was probably about 20,000 years ago that hairless bipeds crossed the Bering land bridge into what is now Alaska.

The first European that we know actually stepped onto what is currently the continental U.S. was Juan Ponce de León, in 1513, Florida. (Although I’m on the side that says Olaf got here a lot earlier.) The other Spaniard, Columbus, actually went to Puerto Rico I believe. The first permanent documented European settlement in the continental United States is at St. Augustine, Florida, in 1565. So, if one of those buildings survived – it would be about 450 years old.

The first successful English colony was established in 1607, on the James River at Jamestown (Virginia.) Then, until the Revolution, the British spent their time shipping about 50,000 convicts to this landscape-which I think pretty much explains the American character. Following that, in 1773, we had a little tea party in Boston. And then, in 1776 we started a war (at which time we announced that we were independent.) The war pretty much ended when Cornwallis caved in Yorktown in 1781. Then things really got rolling at the Constitutional Convention in 1787, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

So really, “America” hasn’t been a country much more than about 230 years and most of our building and altering of the landscape has occurred since that time.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2007 6:17am (Nov 16th 2007)

Neil, Ollie & Janice - those are some cool stories! :D
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2007 7:07am (Nov 16th 2007)

Neil , settlers started coming to America in the 1600s. My dad's first ancestors came to what is now New York City , in 1624 and were Joris Janssen Rapalje and his wife Catherine Trico . They were actually French but came with a group of Dutch on the ship Unity. Joris was the son of a painter named Abraham Janssens who painted Venus and Adonis , Calvary , and several other paintings. He is listed as a Flemish painter. Each generation migrated further away until by 1901 some of them had made it to California. My particular line beginning with Joris and ending with Opal and Lizzie ( my granddaughters ) goes like this New York ( New Amsterdam ) , New Jersey, North Carolina, Illinois , Kentucky, Arkansas ( where my son and I are from ) then back east of the Mississipi River to Mississippi. My mother's people did not arrive in the USA until the very early 1900's . They came from England to work in the quartz mines in the USA. Their surname was Neighbours. By the 1930's all of the Neighbours family had moved to California except my Grandpa Clifford Neighbours who moved from the hills to the delta of eastern Arkansas to raise cotton and own a candy store. I was his only grandchild for 5 years and was given afree run of that store.
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2007 7:04pm (Nov 16th 2007)

What brilliant ghost tales! Ollie, I've heard of dogs and cats picking up on ghosts, but it must've been well strange to see your own dogs howling at 'nothing'. And Janice - wow! Did it scare you seeing that picture?

My nan - who was born in 1890 and died several years ago - was a really big believer in the after-life. She told me of a young cousin who, when she was about 4 years old, told her mom she was going outside to play with the angels. Her distracted mother just nodded, but in a short time heard a commotion outside. Her daughter had been run over by a horse and cart and died instantly.

Also, my nan was bedridden for a long time before her death, and if she wanted something she would always bang the bedroom floor with her walking stick in a very particular rhythm. When I was in hospital after the birth of my youngest son I woke in the night and could hear the tapping noise she used to make in her very distinct rhythm. I like to think it was her visiting my son.

My cat,who died 7 years ago, used to visit me regularly in my old house. He'd rub round my legs and twang the springy thing that stopped the bathroom door banging into the wall.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2007 9:27pm (Nov 16th 2007)

Wow Kate. Amazing stories. And so sweet about your kitty.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2007 9:32pm (Nov 16th 2007)

Any of you like mystery books? They are my favorite "junk food' reading :)
    And, of those, my most favorite are the Brother Cadfael series - written by Ellis Peters (whose real name was Edith Pargeter.) There are about 20 in the series, each unique in structure (vs. the usual formula that most series writers use) and they take place in 12th century Shrewsbury!
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2007 9:42pm (Nov 16th 2007)

Cadfael used to be a series on British TV but I never watched it. Perhaps I should get one of the books and read it. Any suggestions on which to start with?

I usually go for Stephen King. My husband finds them too slow to "get going" but I like the whole setting the scene thing. My favourite was The Stand - I've read it 4 times and cry and certain points every time. The film adaptations of his books are usually really well done too (with the exception of Lawnmower Man which I believe he was most displeased about).
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 17th, 2007 1:15am (Nov 17th 2007)

Start at the beginning (although its not completely necessary) - with "A Morbid Taste for Bones" Oooooooo.
    • CommentTimeNov 17th, 2007 12:52pm (Nov 17th 2007)

A lot of his books boil down to a "good vs evil", especially in the stand.

But 'It' scared the pants off me when I read it many years ago - clowns are pretty scary but he took it to a whole new level!

Scarlet is a big fan of Stephen King too - in fact the last few SK books I've read (Delores Clayburn and the one where a mobile phone virus turns everyone crazy) have been Scarlet's that I've "borrowed"!
    • CommentTimeNov 17th, 2007 9:59pm (Nov 17th 2007)

IT is one I couldn't re-read because it scared me so much, and the movie was a real behind-the-sofa special! I have 2 of his books that I haven't read yet - just don't seem to find the time, and since we moved house I don't know where they are (the back of the cupboard or loft are a good bet though!) My son really enjoyed The Langoliers - a lesser known one. (The film that is, he hasn't read the story!) Puts a different spin on what happens to "time" once its passed.
    • CommentTimeNov 17th, 2007 10:14pm (Nov 17th 2007)

I've never been able to read Stephen King..I don't like to scare myself :-)
    • CommentTimeNov 17th, 2007 10:17pm (Nov 17th 2007)

I don't particularly like any other horror writers, and am going to find the book Diane's suggested and get one of the family to buy it for Christmas - they never know what to get me (and I never know what to ask for!)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2007 1:08am (Nov 18th 2007)

Awww - I love that Kate :) I hope you like her work. My friends & I are all addicts...
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2007 11:34am (Nov 18th 2007)

If I enjoy the first one I read it'll give them something to buy me without asking in future years too!
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2007 11:05pm (Nov 18th 2007) edited

They are only about 200 pages long - so they should get you more than the first one for a present ! :) The titles of the first three are:

A Morbid Taste for Bones, One Corpse Too Many, & Monk's Hood.

In addition to the 20 or so in the series, there are also about three other very large hardback books - two photo books of the area around Shrewsbury and one that is a huge dictionary based on the books. I had to order some of them from England... But you live right there; lucky woman!

Derek Jacobi (sorry I'm sure I spelled that wrong) is the actor who played Brother Cadfael in the films. I think there were 3 of them. Maybe more. They were ok, but not as good as the books.
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2007 11:19pm (Nov 18th 2007)

I had a look on Amazon yesterday and they do some 3-story books so will have to see if one of those is the ones you mention. It'll be nice to sit around just reading a book. You spelt his name exactly right - don't particularly like him as an actor so never watched any of the films which sounds like a good thing.

Spent most of today helping my son and expectant girlfriend tidy their room and try to make some space for a moses basket. Gawd knows where they'll put a cot but I'm sure we'll sort it out!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2007 11:22pm (Nov 18th 2007)

I'm following you around the forum in real time Kate!

When is she due? What's a moses basket. Oh - baby basket?
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2007 11:25pm (Nov 18th 2007)

Yes, I just noticed that! She's due 16th Jan. Its a small basket that's useful for about 2 weeks! Do you call it a crib or is that what we call a cot?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 19th, 2007 12:20am (Nov 19th 2007)

A bassinet (hmm - maybe spelled wrong) is the tiny baby basket. I like moses basket better. A crib it the bed with railings around it so the baby won't fall out-a cot in the UK it sounds like.

Is this your first grandbaby? :)
    • CommentTimeNov 19th, 2007 2:27pm (Nov 19th 2007)

Yes, I think you're right with those. They'll be able to fit the moses basket in their room but the cot (crib) - that's another story!

Yes, it is my first grandbaby and I'm really excited - apart from the times when I'm really scared about how they'll manage, can they afford it, will they stand the pressure - all the normal things I suppose!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 19th, 2007 8:07pm (Nov 19th 2007)

Well now the little girl (right?) has an international collection of aunties! :)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 19th, 2007 8:08pm (Nov 19th 2007)

This is a question for Red:

Will your university have a film department? I'm thinking its about time for "Hencam The Movie."
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2007 3:57pm (Nov 20th 2007)

Yes, it is going to be a little girl. I was hoping for a boy as that's what I'm used to having 2 of my own, but have got used to the idea now and think it'll be nice to have a 'pink' one in the family!!! :)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 21st, 2007 5:08am (Nov 21st 2007)

Awww - sweeet :)
    • CommentTimeNov 21st, 2007 7:35pm (Nov 21st 2007) edited

Has anyone else seen "Winged Migration" by filmmakers Cluzaud, Debat & Perrin? Pretty wild cinematography. I got kind of tired of whatever lens they were using to heighten color but other than that ... WOW. And at least one of them has a great sense of humor. There are these very funny (well to me at least) shots of different breeds of birds doing things in unision. One example, a flock of several thousand birds settled on the ground and all facing their little black heads stage left. Then suddenly they simultaneously turn to face the camera with all their little white faces. Cracked me up. There is almost no narration so the music carries it. 89 minutes.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 21st, 2007 7:41pm (Nov 21st 2007)

Oh and for Kate et al.

The sadness factor. Most of the time the filmmakers kindly chose to imply violence rather than show it. I appreciated that. Several times in what narration there was they also just SAID how dangerous migrating is for birds. There ARE a few scenes where birds get hurt and the most distrubing ones are when humans are involved (of course.) But even these are somehow 'gentled' by the way the film is constructed. I felt much more sad watching March of the Penguins. So - scale of 1 -10 (with 10 being Totally Unbearable and 1 being No Sadness Whatsoever) I'd say it was a 2.
    • CommentTimeNov 21st, 2007 9:48pm (Nov 21st 2007)

I'll have to watch out for that one - never heard of it so far!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 27th, 2007 5:36am (Nov 27th 2007)

Kate have you had a look at this?

Heros Site
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 27th, 2007 6:54pm (Nov 27th 2007)

bump (for Kate)
    • CommentTimeNov 27th, 2007 7:46pm (Nov 27th 2007)

I just had a quick look but I think if delve any deeper it might be a spoiler for the rest of the first series! I can see the cheerleader is still alive which is good news! I've bookmarked it to look at in 2 weeks time. Thanks Diane!!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 7:55am (Nov 30th 2007)

I have the tv on while I watch for the Moving of the Cam. A sitcom (all re-runs now) called the Frazier show is on. Ever seen it?

Its about a psychiatrist with an office in Seattle (he started out as a charater in "Cheers" the sitcom that took place in a bar in Boston) - although it wasn't actually filmed in Seattle. BUT this is particular episode was! (The episode where the city declares a "Frazier Crane Day.")

The actors are running all around downtown Seattle - a number of years ago now. And the real mayor of the city at that time (Norm Rice) had a 3 line bit part. Amazing how bad he did with just 3 lines poor guy. Bad actor/good mayor. :D
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 8:26am (Nov 30th 2007)

I have watched Frazier - its one of my eldest son's favourite shows - but don't recall that episode. I'll have to watch out for it. I love Eddie (the dog) and heard he was paid loads to be in the show!!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 3:45pm (Nov 30th 2007)

Eddie's pretty cute :D
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 5:58pm (Nov 30th 2007)

Very well trained. I'm hoping that one day (when I'm old and grey probably) to get a dog with a bit of character like him.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 6:08pm (Nov 30th 2007)

Holly wants you to get an Australian Shephard (an American made breed-by the way...)
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 6:10pm (Nov 30th 2007)

My newest dog is a Jack Russel Terrorist like "Eddie"...you have to be careful how you raise them..I got my little "Snizzel" before I read the book about them..if I had read it first, I don't think I would have even tried raising one. I've been really lucky with her..the only thing she ever did wrong was eating the wall in the utility room..I feel blessed, to have gotten off so well.
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 6:13pm (Nov 30th 2007)

My son's girlfriend's parents have one and apparently she's mad! He thinks its great though so wants one when he gets his own place. Perhaps I'll get him a book about them first!

Do you think Neil's waiting for a break in the weather to move the cam!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 6:14pm (Nov 30th 2007)

Lynn - what a great description. I knew I didn't have the energy for these little dogs when I was looking to adopt. But, wow, they sure are cute. *Snizzel* & Chelsea? The kitty got the better end of that deal :)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 6:15pm (Nov 30th 2007)

I had to turn off the sound Kate - the rain is SO loud!!
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 6:17pm (Nov 30th 2007)

My daughter named the dog "Snizzel", Diane..I have no idea what it means :-) Maybe it's best I don't :-)
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 6:21pm (Nov 30th 2007)

Chief chicken uses the word frizzel a lot - well, I think it was that - which seems to mean dashing around. Perhaps that's similar?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 6:24pm (Nov 30th 2007)

Yah, he says frizzel :) Time for a poem - involving a sweet hyper little dog and a pack of hens. (Lynn, I do think the name is cute.)
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 6:25pm (Nov 30th 2007)

Didn't know you were a poet Diane! Go for it!!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2007 6:30pm (Nov 30th 2007)

Maybe a little haiku... Hmmm.
    • CommentTimeDec 5th, 2007 7:50pm (Dec 5th 2007)

Its the last 2 episodes of Heroes tonight - I was really, really, really excited, but the TV press have said its a bit of a damp squib (or is it squid? Never did know). Anyway, will know by 11pm tonight.

Also, another favorite programme - How to look good naked - presented by Gok Wan is on at 8pm. I'm sure you won't get the programme in America, but he's a very camp presenter who NEVER makes people feel bad about being a bit overweight or having wrinkles or big bum, instead he points out their assets and how to make the best of them, makes them feel really good about themselves, then gets them to pose discretely naked for a photo shoot on which they look great.
    • CommentTimeDec 5th, 2007 8:34pm (Dec 5th 2007)

Headless in Florida has English telly streamed (?) into her house in Niceville (sn, sn, sn), somehow. It saves her withdrawal symptoms. Midsomer Murders is filmed all around here, so when she watches it, it's like being back in Marlow, she says. I've tuned for 2 Midsomer Murders and a Miss Marple!
    • CommentTimeDec 5th, 2007 11:18pm (Dec 5th 2007)

I love Midsomer Murders - my kids say its because I'm 'old'. The mirror may say I'm ageing but my inner-self is still a sprightly 20 year old, as I assume are many of yours, my forum friends! (except Red who hasn't seen 20 yet and has many good years to look forward to!)
    • CommentTimeDec 6th, 2007 12:06am (Dec 6th 2007) edited

Kate - the second season finale of Heros was this week. I watched it in your honor :)

Never heard of Midsomer Murders - have you ever seen "Murder Most Awful?" Its one of my favorite shows of all time :D no-no-no-Yes it is! :) I re-order it on Netflix periodically.

Hmmm. What age do I feel...? Uhhh. 30 I guess. I'm a late bloomer so I definitely don't feel like my old 20, which was everyone else's 15 :)

Well...this post takes the record for smiley faces :P
    • CommentTimeDec 6th, 2007 1:12am (Dec 6th 2007)

I love Midsomer Murders-it's one of my favorite shows.

Let's see what age to I feel..hmmm..some days I feel like I did when I was 20..tonight, I feel every day of my whole 60 years.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 6th, 2007 1:58am (Dec 6th 2007)

So Lynn - it plays here? On cable then?

Long day out in the fields today?
    • CommentTimeDec 6th, 2007 5:06am (Dec 6th 2007)

It use to be shown on the weekends, but they've been moving things around. It may not be on now. It used to be on the digital Biography channel on Sunday afternoons. I just looked at the TV Guide and couldn't find it. They always take off the things I like. I rarely get to watch TV on the weekends now anyway.
    • CommentTimeDec 6th, 2007 11:55am (Dec 6th 2007)

Unfortunately Heroes was a bit limp at the end. Nice end of season 'dangles' to start the 2nd one off with, which I will definately watch, but I think some of the episodes were so fast and exciting it was never going to live up to it! Still a great series though.

I haven't seen Murder Most Awful, though there used to be a Brit show called Murder Most Horrid? (Didn't watch that either though!)

I was a late bloomer myself (still waiting!), and as I was bullied at school I didn't really enjoy my teenage years. My inner self is how I imagine the average 20 year old to be.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 6th, 2007 6:18pm (Dec 6th 2007)

Oh! That's right - my favorite show & I don't even know the name of it :P Its *Murder Most Horrid* Very very funny.

I thought the second season finale was pretty wild. And, by the way, it pointedly referred to a third season.

Awww - I like what you said about your inner 20 year old :)
    • CommentTimeDec 6th, 2007 8:34pm (Dec 6th 2007)

Dawn French is very funny, and so's her husband (Lenny Henry). Though I do prefer his older stuff.

My son's downstairs baking me a 'practice' birthday cake. Had to explain how the loose bottomed cake tin works. I HATE cooking so never did the 'baking' thing with him when he was little, but his auntie used to all the time. They'd make a tray of 12 cakes and he'd eat every one! I can't see what's wrong with popping down to Tesco and buying a ready made one!
    • CommentTimeDec 6th, 2007 8:46pm (Dec 6th 2007)

I play the organ in the church where the Vicar of Dibley is filmed...we get several disappointed tourists looking for the Lady Vicar. Who we DO have, but she's nothing like DF!
    • CommentTimeDec 6th, 2007 9:15pm (Dec 6th 2007)

Feed her a few cream cakes and write her some lines - she'd catch up eventually!

Where is it filmed?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2007 5:48pm (Dec 7th 2007)

CC ---- THAT IS AWESOME!! Its a beautiful church.

You know,the DVD has a little short about actual lady Vicars. Was yours in it? I remember a surprisingly young woman and at least one other woman - who was climbing around on the church roof and talking very clerically of leaks and funding shortages.

I need to order the series again. Its been awhile. If you are able to order it I highly recommend it. Its soooo funny. And then you'd know what no-no-no-no-Yes! means :D
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2007 6:54pm (Dec 7th 2007)

It's Turville in Buckinghamshire. Young dark-haired woman would have been the curate who moved on a couple of years ago, young blonde moved/is moving recently/soon, blonde lady with short hair and forrin accent still here. Not sure who the roof-climbing one was - never seen one do that!
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2007 8:36pm (Dec 7th 2007)

Ah, yes I get the no, no etc bit now. Have seen 1 or 2 episodes.
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2007 10:04pm (Dec 7th 2007) edited

LOL :)

Hmmm. I think the short blonde haired woman might have been the roof climber. Now I'm definitely going to have to order the DVD again. She appeared to be the leader (sorry - not a church goer so I don't know the term for what I mean; besides leader!)

& yes, the young woman had dark hair. They showed her going from her apartment to work with the other woman.