• CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2010 12:00am (Jan 8th 2010)

just thought I would show you some of the cards I stitched for family and friends...

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2010 1:06am (Jan 8th 2010)

Those are just amazing!
    Sorry you missed the flury of activity on here a few hours ago. It was very exciting. I think the "Posts in Last 24hrs" register went almost to 150.
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2010 1:37am (Jan 8th 2010)

Really beautiful cards Volka, so satisfying isn't it? I make my own too. i love the puddings and teh last one.
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2010 7:46am (Jan 8th 2010)

Wow..those are beautiful, Volka!!!
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2010 3:53pm (Jan 8th 2010)

Such hard work!! I hope Diane registers the one with the PROPER robin on it - merkin robins are strange-looking beaties!
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2010 7:53pm (Jan 8th 2010)

Superb cards Volka and beautifully worked. Seeing them made me want to dig my cross stitch out, but I must get Grandad Norths jumper finished first.
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2010 11:19pm (Jan 8th 2010)

What wonderful cards Volka, such special ones to send too.

What are american robins like then CC?!
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2010 5:00pm (Jan 9th 2010) edited

Weird. Grey/brown back, red chest, black head, and too big! That's merkin robins, not me. My head's brown/grey. Apart from that, it's about right as a description...
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2010 5:23pm (Jan 9th 2010) edited

this might help CC..... our Robin
      180px-Erithacus_rubecula_-Cheshire_-England-8.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2010 5:25pm (Jan 9th 2010)

And the American robin it is a lot larger than ours as well
      200px-Turdus-migratorius-002.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2010 7:02pm (Jan 9th 2010)

Yes, it seems to be about the same size as our jay...HUUUUUGE!
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2010 7:50pm (Jan 9th 2010)

I love our UK robins. They chirrup and sing all year round and are so tame if you feed them regularly at close quarters.
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2010 11:23pm (Jan 9th 2010)

I prefer ours too. When I picked my son up from work one day this week there were 3 robins sitting on the kerb under the tree where someone hangs bird feeders. Also wrens, sparrows, blue tits, great tits, blackbird and a couple I didn't recognise but part of the 'tit' family I suspect!
    • CommentTimeJan 10th, 2010 12:08am (Jan 10th 2010)

I really love the little sweet UK Robins too, I did nor realise the US had a larger version so am enlightened.
    We have blue wrens here and little yellow and brown honey eaters, they are really cute. We feed the honey eaters seeds in our fernery. They also love a sugar water concoction Brian boils up which we put our occasionally. They all line up on a perch and squawk at each other 'its my turn, my turn' . Must try for some pics.
    • CommentTimeJan 10th, 2010 1:11pm (Jan 10th 2010)

Ohh Trevs Mum I have just opened a thread called wild life in our gardens due to an unusual wild waterfowl in my garden and then Lo and behold have just read your post. I would just love to see some pictures of your garden birds and visitors. so am looking forward to your pictures
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2010 10:50am (Jan 14th 2010) edited

I have always liked that the Americans use Red Cardinals on their Christmas cards but had never seen one for real until recently. We were in Newport, Rhode Island, back in 2007 and were walking back up the road to our inn when a male one came hopping along the road and flew up to sit on the fence so we got a really good look at him. It sounds silly and hubby gave me a strange look too but I was so excited!
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2010 10:56am (Jan 14th 2010)

The american robin looks like a blackbird in a red vest!
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2010 1:52pm (Jan 14th 2010)

Ha ha thats a good discription.
    • CommentTimeJan 16th, 2010 9:20pm (Jan 16th 2010) edited

Posted By: KatebI didn't realise they had a different robin to us. Do they call it a robin and anyone know if the 2 are related?

The 2 aren't related, Kate. Ours is in the Thrush family. I gotta say yours is cuter by far than ours. Your Robin is in the Flycatcher family.