• CommentAuthorkarenhills63
    • CommentTimeJan 24th, 2010 11:54am (Jan 24th 2010)

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site, and relatively new to keeping chickens - we got ours in September as young pullets (6-12 weeks) - oh yes, and one turned out to be a cockerel! One of the girls - lizzy, a buff sussex - has recently developed a droopy left wing. We've examined it quite carefully - comparing wth the good wing, and there's no obvious break or dislocation, but we're not experts, so I'm a bit concerned. She seems absolutely fine and is eating well and interacting fine with the others. She showed no signs of pain or distress when we examined her either, but it's been about a week now and there's no improvement. Any ideas about how we can confirm/otherwise what the problem is?
    • CommentTimeJan 24th, 2010 4:59pm (Jan 24th 2010) edited

Hi karenhills63
    If she is eating and drinking and interacting with the others then i would not worry to much if she starts to sit around more on her own and looks generally like she is a bit down or off her food then i would find a vet in your area that can deal with poultry and take her along. chickens are always alert and very active so the opposite to this is not normal make sure the others do not pick on her.Just pick her up and make sure she has no lumps in her body area which can be cancer.Hope this helps but if in doubt get her checked out by a vet who knows.
    Try this for poultry friendly vets go into the main site and links down the left poultry vets
    • CommentAuthorkarenhills63
    • CommentTimeJan 24th, 2010 5:45pm (Jan 24th 2010)

Hi Lee
    thanks for responding - it's reassuring to know that as she's currently acting fine we should just keep an eye on her. We have a good local vet, as we had to find one due to a persistent respiratory infection that came with one batch of our chucks - it's cost us literally hundreds of pounds (too soft as newbies to pull the plut), so we're keen not to start another round of vets bills if its not necessary. Obviously if she deteriorates we'll have to go back. She's not being picked on at all at present - I'm quite surprised, but they're all milling around quite happily together.
    thanks
    Karen
    • CommentTimeJan 24th, 2010 6:06pm (Jan 24th 2010)

No Problem Karen I have been through it myself and it can be very stressful if you don,t no just yous your own senses you will no if there is something up its called good husbandry.:wink: what hens do you have ?
    • CommentAuthorkarenhills63
    • CommentTimeJan 24th, 2010 8:12pm (Jan 24th 2010)

A range - we got 5 from one source (who brought the infection) of which 2 sadly died. so we're left with the 3 musketeers the buff sussex with the poorly wing (Lizzy), a lovely punky cream legbar (Letty) and a gold-laced wyandotte boy (bought as a pullet - he was called Annie, now called Arnie!.

We then got 2 other girls from different breeders - a silver grey dorking (Queenie, my favourite) and a splendidly superior french wheaten maran (Winnie). We live in the centre of Cambridge, so we can't keep Arnie, but my Mums found him a home with a friend of hers in berkshire, so he should be fine.

Giving them names is a bit risky - particularly as one of the ones who died was named after my Mother in Law!!! It is quite nice though, and they should all lay different colour eggs so we can keep a eye on any issues if they go off colour.
    • CommentTimeJan 24th, 2010 9:37pm (Jan 24th 2010)

Welcome to the forum Karen! I hope Lizzy improves soon. I'm afraid I can't add anything useful as I don't have any hens, but its lovely to hear about yours - what a lovely selection of birds! I think wyandottes are particularly lovely, shame you can't keep him but at least he's going to a good place.

Please let us know how Lizzy gets on - its always good to have info for anyone else with the same problem - and join in with any of the discussions, we're a friendly bunch!
    • CommentAuthorkarenhills63
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:36am (Jan 25th 2010)

Hi Kate
    yes it's a shame about Arnie - he's a lovely boy, and huge - but he will be well looked after where he's going. The girls are a nice mix - it's fun to have them all different colours and personalities. Lizzy still seems fine, so I'll keep the post updated if there's any progress - positive or negative..
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 9:51am (Jan 25th 2010)

Probably not the same, but I remember Scarlet telling me that Milly had a bit of a droopy wing once - she had somehow got her feathers out of alignment which must have made her wing feel funny so she held it out of alignment - Scarlet gently stroked down the feathers to straighten them and I think it was ok after that.

When she comes out of the nesting area in the morning, does she stretch and flap her wings like normal? How about putting her on something a foot or so off the ground and seeing if she can jump/fly off onto grass (only try this if it looks like she can do it of course!).

There's been more than one occasion when I've thought one of the hens was having a fit or dead, and they were just enjoying a dust-bath, I'm sure they like worrying us owners!

Hope she's ok, let us know how she gets on.

Cheers

Neil
    • CommentAuthorkarenhills63
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 4:29pm (Jan 25th 2010)

Hi Neil - have tried smoothng etc but no change - the positive thing is that I can't feel any difference betweent he 2 wings and she shows no sign of pain even if I prod around, so I'm hoping that means there's not too much damage. On the bad side, when she flaps, its one sided, with the left side just shuffling by her side. Picture attached of Lizzy - from her good side. I'll follow up with one of the gang that shows her baad (left side) - bit is a bit far away - they're rubbish at posing!!
    Karen
      The gang.GIF
    • CommentAuthorkarenhills63
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 4:30pm (Jan 25th 2010)

here's her good side!
      Lizzy jan.GIF
    • CommentAuthorkarenhills63
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 4:31pm (Jan 25th 2010)

Forgot to say - Lizzy is the buff sussex, so the middle of the group of 3 on the top picture, and at the front of the second picture
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 5:15pm (Jan 25th 2010)

I'm sure there's some syndrome with a strange name that droopy wings are a symptom of. That was a dreadfully constructed sentence, but you know what I mean! It might be something Nanny North mentioned...perhaps she'll read this and enlighten us. i hate it when I can't quite remember something!
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 5:20pm (Jan 25th 2010) edited

Marek's disease. Found it! But having read up on it, I don't think it sounds like that at all. Sorry! Well, I'm not, because it sounds awful.
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 5:45pm (Jan 25th 2010)

They all look great Karen and she looks fine don't worry and just keep an eye on her you can always pick our brains on here :sun:
    • CommentAuthorkarenhills63
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 6:10pm (Jan 25th 2010)

Thanks one and all - very reassuring. We'll watch them carefully and shout if things get worse!! I have to say it's amazing how quickly you get attached to them - they're just such fun to watch - particularly when they all chase after you in the hope of some tid bit!

Wish I could do rotating suns though!!

Karen
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 7:52pm (Jan 25th 2010)

Your right Karen they are amazing things mesmerizing :crazy:
    They have me just sitting there watching and then just laughing at them then they look at me laughing and i laugh some more :w00t: :crazy:
    OH and you can do rotating suns if you click on vanillacons and choose the one you want!!
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:41pm (Jan 25th 2010)

It's so relaxing watching chickens, isn't it? Quite hypnotic sometimes...absolute timewasters!:) Yours are pretty, Karen - and the rooster is sooooo handsome, even though he appears to have no head!
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:42pm (Jan 25th 2010)

Hi Karen and welcome to hen cam, Just keep an eye on Izzy she has probably just sprained it, just like we might have..... with say a wrist. It doesn't seem to bother her so don't get yourself to worried unless she goes lame as well. Then it will be vet time. But so far nothing to worry about.
    They are beautiful hens and Arnie is just a magnificent Rooster such a shame you can not keep him, I am sure he will be happy at his new home they soon settle in.
    You are thinking about my post about Angel wing CC That is just in water fowl as far as I know.
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:48pm (Jan 25th 2010)

THAT'S the one! I knew I wasn't hallucinating....
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 9:42pm (Jan 25th 2010)

Hi Izzy - sorry I'm a bit late coming in mut have been v.busy and away for a weekend. One of our girls had a droppy wing for a little while but it seemed to clear up on its own. One word of caution though sorry the vet did mention to us somethign called Marek's Disease which is a paralysis type virus, but his advise was just to keep an eye on her and she got better. Hope she gets better soon. T.
    • CommentAuthorkarenhills63
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2010 4:32pm (Feb 4th 2010)

:cry:Hi All - bit of a long time since my last post, as we've been (and still are) in France skiing for a week. My Mums been chuck sitting for us. Lizzy's wing was looking much better when we left last Friday - whe was holding it much higher, and showing signs of flapping it with the other - although still less actively.

While we've been away, Arnie has (nearly) learnt to crow - Mum reports that he's currently doing "cock a dooldle", so he's missing his "do". Also, we've had our first eggs - 2 blue ones from Letty the Cream Legbar so far. Can't wait to get home and see them. Hopefully the other girls will follow suit very soon. He's off to Berkshire in a couple of weeks
    :sun:
    I'll send a more accurate update on Lizzy when we get home and get a chance to check them all out.
    • CommentAuthorkarenhills63
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2010 4:34pm (Feb 4th 2010)

Bah, all my suns in the wrong place was meant to cry after saying Arnie was going and have sun after chucks laying!
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2010 4:56pm (Feb 4th 2010)

Get it sorted out Karen!!! :thumbup: i am pleased all is well with Lizzy hope the skiing is good.
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2010 9:38pm (Feb 4th 2010)

Enjoy the skiing (where have you gone? My boss is off to France next week) Fingers crossed that Lizzy will be much better when you get home.
    • CommentAuthorkarenhills63
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 5:33pm (Feb 5th 2010)

We've been in Megeve in France - lovely snow, blue skies and sunshine.:sun:

We should be home tomorrow before the girls go to bed, so it will be nice to see how they're all doing.

I have long run Sunday, then brunch with our first ever home produced eggs - quite excited:smile:
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 6:44pm (Feb 5th 2010)

I took a photo of our first two fried eggs.... slightly sad, or possibly really sad but yeah.
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 7:24pm (Feb 5th 2010)

Ha TracyB I must be sad like you then i took a picture of my first egg it was tiny here it is!!
      36293609c786300b56e40cbb1817ec4309b51e138ded24fdb972ef57197ff2a754dce707 (600 x 450).jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 7:32pm (Feb 5th 2010)

So did I, Ha ha it was so eggciting just had to take a picture.

Glad Lizzy is doing well Karen and that you had a good holiday. I hope you took some photos as we all love seeing them.
    • CommentAuthorkarenhills63
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th, 2010 3:10pm (Feb 15th 2010)

Lizzy is definitely fine - I've seen her flapping both wings evenly, so scare over.

No pictures from Megeve, but my husbands put together another video showing the chucks feeding their mealy worm addiction:

also on the same page, there's a fitting tribute to Letty's first eggs! Even sadder than Tracy8 photographing her first 2 fried eggs!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th, 2010 6:45pm (Feb 15th 2010)

Hi Karen nice to see you posting again. I am glad Lizzie is keeping well. We all worry when something happens out of the ordinary it is natural. The videos are lovely and I so enjoyed watching them. Arnie is such a beautiful rooster and was so proud to keep practising his cock a doodle. Your girls are so atractive and sure pillied in real quick with the meal worms. Don't we just love to spoil them.
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th, 2010 9:03pm (Feb 15th 2010)

Arnie is a handsome chap....and the girls are lovely! :heart:
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th, 2010 10:28pm (Feb 15th 2010)

He's a proper gentleman too, letting the ladies in first.

I loved the homage to your first eggs too!
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2010 6:04pm (Feb 17th 2010)

Hi Karen
    great clips i love the build up to popping the first egg yoke it made me feel very hungry for a nice fresh egg!!!!!!!!!! :drool5: