• CommentTimeJan 24th, 2010 4:39pm (Jan 24th 2010)

Do you no what !!! i don't no what i did before i had a slow cooker we bought one a couple of weeks ago and it is fantastic chewy bits of meat are a thing of the past and its so easy if you haven't got one then GET one life is not complete without one!!!!!!!! :yay_jump:
      DSCF3585 (648 x 486).jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 24th, 2010 4:57pm (Jan 24th 2010) edited

I'm very slow at cooking. But no-one ever called me fantastic... If I DO cook then I have the best cookery book ever, the ASDA one pot cookery book. Splendid!
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:07pm (Jan 25th 2010)

They are real useful Lee. I have had one for years now. I got it so we had a meal ready in the winter when I used to work. We still use it a lot as it is real good to come home to a lovely casserole after a bit of sea fishing or a long day out somewhere. Have you tried doing a New England dinner in yours yet? Yum Yum lovely grub.
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:13pm (Jan 25th 2010) edited

Please enlighten me as to what a New England dinner is NN :interesting:
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:28pm (Jan 25th 2010)

Sorry I forget it is an American dish and probably not so well known over here......

Nice joint of beef maybe rolled silverside or similar
    Assortment of your favourite veg ie carrots, leeks onions potaotes turnip swede
    Brown meat joint in large fry pan then put into slow cooker
    prepare veg leaving whole or cut into large pieces put all around joint
    add hot beef stock, bouquet garni or big pinch mixed herbs salt pepper.
    Cook on hight for half hour then turn to low for few hours.
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:34pm (Jan 25th 2010)

Thanks NN thats this Sunday sorted :clap:
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:37pm (Jan 25th 2010)

:trompet::boogie::lets_party:Boiled beef and carrots, boiled beef and carrots,
    That's the stuff for yer Derby Kell,
    Makes yer fat an' it keeps yer well....:trompet::boogie::D
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:45pm (Jan 25th 2010)

And very happy :cheer: :cheer:
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:47pm (Jan 25th 2010)

Nice to be able to share the recipe. Hope you enjoy it. I usually thicken the gravy in a small pan while I carve up. We like a thicker gravy though but you can just serve as is
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:47pm (Jan 25th 2010)

Mmmmmm.............:drool5:
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:50pm (Jan 25th 2010)

You Drive down to the Sussex coast this weekend and you can all have a bit!!!!!!!!! :driving:
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 8:52pm (Jan 25th 2010)

I can't. I haven't had the injections to go forrin...
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 9:15pm (Jan 25th 2010)

Sounds like a good idea. Sea side always gives me an appetite hope you got the large slow cooker !!!!
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 9:32pm (Jan 25th 2010)

I have indeed :biggrin:
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2010 9:35pm (Jan 25th 2010)

cool
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2010 3:30pm (Feb 1st 2010)

Did you try your New England dinner on Sunday, Lee? I got another serving suggestion for you when you are ready !!
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2010 8:20pm (Feb 1st 2010)

I did indeed and i put beer in it to and it was perfect thank you very much and yes as many serving suggestions as you can please.I have tried chicken in it but thats not so good it seems to dry out.:mad:
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2010 9:12pm (Feb 1st 2010)

Glad you enjoyed it Lee I will write out another for you during the week I feel tired now and don't want to make a mistake. We are not supposed to mention cooking ch****n shame cos I got a good recipe for an Italian dish that wouldn't be dry.
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2010 9:27pm (Feb 1st 2010)

Now that is funny NN as i was writing it i did think should i but ha chicken is the best loved meat in the world so just because i keep my lovely girls does not mean i cant eat what i like.If we had a whole farm we would have to go vegetarian!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2010 9:30pm (Feb 1st 2010)

Anyway NN thats very kind of you :thanks:
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2010 9:37pm (Feb 1st 2010)

I know I love my girls to bits but still eat a fair bit of THE meat. It don't mean I would eat them though. I will write out the italian dish for you and I am sure you will know what sort of meat to use.
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2010 9:40pm (Feb 1st 2010)

Thanks NN :thumbup:
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2010 10:05pm (Feb 1st 2010)

Night night NN Gonna watch a bit of news now then bed :smileyhappy:
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2010 10:08pm (Feb 1st 2010)

nighty night I just got the lads snap to do then I am off as well.
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2010 10:13pm (Feb 1st 2010)

What on earth is a lads snap!!!!!!!!!! :interesting:
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2010 10:17pm (Feb 1st 2010)

:-)))))))) anything that will go in a lunch box I think. I bet its a geographical term like pack up.
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2010 10:20pm (Feb 1st 2010)

Oh sorry Lee it is their packed lunch for tomorrow. It is called snap up here because the miners used to take their packed lunch in a tin that shut with a snap, and thats how the word came about. Many areas have their own words for the packed lunch when I lived in the fens it was called dockey. Which reminds me I had best get a move on and get two packed lunches made up Ha ha.
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2010 10:22pm (Feb 1st 2010)

Yes its defiantly a geographical term we don,t say that down here!! night night :sleep::sleep:
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 3:19pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

I recently saw a post on another forum saying that some rabbit breeders (breeding for pets) will eat the rabbits that either don't come up to scratch or they can't sell, or that are returned to them as unwanted pets.
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 3:57pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

:gasp: How can they do that???
    Mind you, when they were going in the Forbidden Corner, I could cheerfully have threatened mine with a pastry blanket. In fact I think I did :blush: !
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 4:00pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

Sounds a bit harsh to me Kate !! good job we don,t go around like that about our beloved Hens :milly_hen:
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 6:54pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

Being brought up on a farm we were not fazed one bit about eating the animals. We were lucky to have real good food what with the war and all the hardships. We have all got soft nowadays. I know I have, but am very careful not to waste any thing.
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 7:26pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

Here is the mid week recipe I promised you Lee.
    Sunday Lunch one tomorrow !!!

C***** Cacciatore

6 skinless, boneless C****** breast fillets
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes and I tablespoon tomato puree
    or use a jar of your favourite pasta sauce
    I green pepper, seeded and cubed
    1 red pepper seeded and cubed
    I c***** stock cube
    250g (9 oz) fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1 onion, finely diced
    1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced

Olives to taste, can be green or black or you can leave them out if you dont like them.

Put every thing except olives into Slow cooker heat on high for half an hour then turn to low and cook for aprox six hours. Add Olives half an hour before end of cooking.
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 7:46pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

NN That is really making my mouth water :drool5: cant wait for the Sunday one either.
    Thank you NN thats very kind. :thumbup:
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 8:18pm (Feb 2nd 2010) edited

No probs it is nice to share.

Here is a picture of my girls taken today. It is not that good as I took it from the kitchen window
      hennies.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 8:25pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

That is a lovely picture NN, I didn't realise you had 6 girls. They are beautiful - I love grey hens. Actually, I like grey animals - I wonder why?
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 8:31pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

Thank you Kate. The grey one, I call her Lady Jane is moulting at the moment she is doing it so discreetly bless her the new feathers are much darker then the old ones otherwise you would never know. The one nearest is a speckled one but because I took the picture through the window it isnt very clear I will get some more done soon
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 8:35pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

Of course - Lady Jane! Her name reminds me of my childhood because there was a Lady Jane Grey Lane at the back of our house.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 9:05pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

I've just shown Gary the picture NN and suggested that perhaps out girls would like to have their own bench and pond......he hasn't commented yet.
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 9:08pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

Thats A great photo NN they look great you have managed to capture all of them looking up and not scratching around pecking the grass!! I love the little old man !!:001_smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 9:14pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

Oh he is a wizard and holds a book of spells behind his back. I only have to call them and they look straight over to me or come rushing over in hopes that am staying out to play. I keep meaning to see if I can get a photo of them flying towards me, I think they were up to something as they all have a guilty look about them !!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 9:19pm (Feb 2nd 2010) edited

And there is no chance of any of them falling in your pond is there!!! :rollonfloorlaughing:
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 9:24pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

No it is netted over real good as we do get a heron that visits. It is a huge old thing, I haven't managed to get a photo of it as yet as it knows it shouldn't be in the garden. My fish are quite big now and get real tame in the summer.
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2010 3:30pm (Feb 3rd 2010)

Livia likes flying up onto the bench in our garden too, NN...but I think she does it to get away from Onion when he's frisky as she knows he can't fly up on there!
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2010 3:00pm (Feb 4th 2010) edited

Right Lee here is your slow cooker Sunday Lunch recipe:

Leg of Lamb French Style

I nice leg of lamb
    2 cloves of garlic peeled and sliced thinly
    Aprox eight small springs of rosemary
    I medium sized onion peeled and sliced
    1/4 pint red wine
    1/4 pint stock
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    smallish whole potatoes and carrots peeled
    I tablespoon flour to thicken gravy

quickly sear or brown lamb joint in fry pan
    Make small slits in top of lamb joint,
    insert slices of garlic into slits alternating with rosemary sprigs
    scatter sliced onion on to bottom of slow cooker place lamb joint on top
    pour in wine and stock then season well
    Cook on high for three quarters of an hour then turn to low adding potatoes and carrots round the joint cook till joint is cooked
    Serve with vegetables and thickened gravy.
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2010 3:25pm (Feb 4th 2010)

Thanks NN I really appreciate the trouble you have gone to.
    2 recipes now i had better get my ingredients together and get cooking!!! :read:
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2010 3:30pm (Feb 4th 2010)

Ha ha it is nice you enjoy cooking do you like indian,italian, persian or greek food ? Let me know when you need more recipes I cook food from all over the world so have plenty of ideas for you.
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2010 3:38pm (Feb 4th 2010)

Brilliant i love cooking when i have the time you no what life is like sometimes it is very hectic and sometimes it is quiet.
    I love Indian not keen on Italian never tried Greek or Persian so i have it all to come!!!
    Thanks NN.:great:
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 7:32pm (Feb 5th 2010)

Ha NN I have just remembered I am out on Saturday night with a load of work colleagues for a curry and i forgot my mum and dad are coming over on Sunday for a meal and guess what she is bringing to eat?????????????? Ya CURRY this has not worked out well at all this weekend i wont be able to cook the Lamb :cursing: :rant_red2: :tearhair:
    I will do it in the week.:confused1:
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 7:39pm (Feb 5th 2010)

Yum I love curry and would happily eat it two days running !!!

The recipe's will keep Lee you can always copy and paste it and then print it up for another day. I made a lovely beef casserole for our meal tonight. I made two big round yorkshire puddings one for Hubby the other for Jay and served it up in the yorksires. I had to have taters as I have an intolerance of wheat and gluten. We are all stuffed full so no need for a pudding tonight.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 8:14pm (Feb 5th 2010)

I like curry to, nothign better than having left over curry the next morning in a tortilla.
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 8:17pm (Feb 5th 2010)

Ya cold curry is divine!!!!! :drool:
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 8:21pm (Feb 5th 2010)

Not so keen on it cold myself. I do like cold baked beans though
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 8:22pm (Feb 5th 2010)

yyyyuuuuuccccckkkkkk - cold baked beans. Cold custard is nice.... yum yum straight out of the tub
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 8:25pm (Feb 5th 2010)

Ha ha thats how I feel about cold curry Tracy. I like cold custard with bananas cut up in it. Yummy
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 8:33pm (Feb 5th 2010)

I couldn't eat custard and banana's brings back memory's of school dinners, which on the whole were not bad apart from the custard and the stew that tasted like ash for some reason.
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 8:33pm (Feb 5th 2010)

Thats exactly what my son made me last night :drool5:
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 8:36pm (Feb 5th 2010)

My other son introduced me this afternoon to Marmite and cheese sandwich i was very reluctant to try but i do like both but never tried them together it was very nice indeed try it you might like it.
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 8:40pm (Feb 5th 2010)

I love marmite but can not do sandwiches any more because of the gluten. You can buy gluten free bread but it is horrible and costs a bomb I have gluten free crisp breads with cheese on them I could put a smear of marmite on the cheese I suppose
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 11:15pm (Feb 5th 2010)

How do you make a yorkshire pudding big enough to serve stew in?! Do you use a cake tin?

Hubby used to eat cold baked bean sandwiches (with brown sauce) all the time, but he hasn't had that for a while. The only thing I can think of that would normally be eaten hot but I'd eat cold is a crispy bacon sandwich. :drool5:
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2010 11:18pm (Feb 5th 2010)

When I was trying to set up our first home, the barn (a real one - not a posh conversion) for us to live in, I found myself with a tin of beans and no opener. Managed with a hammer and chisel. Lit a fire with striking the chisel on the stone floor to make a spark and get a fire going to warm them up.
    I do like the few cold beans though that lurk back in the tin.
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 4:57pm (Feb 6th 2010)

Amazing what we can do when pushed Ollie.

Have a nice evening out Lee are you wearing one of your posh shirts to the do ?
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:02pm (Feb 6th 2010)

Blimey, hope everyone's got sunglasses with 'em :rolling: Only teasing, cherub...have fun!:flowers:
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:03pm (Feb 6th 2010)

Oh yes i think my Black and white tartan trousers and Crepes might make an appearance To tonight!!!!!!!!!! :cheer:
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:04pm (Feb 6th 2010)

:cool: Right, I'm ready. Go for it!
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:05pm (Feb 6th 2010)

Whoooo, steady the buffs Lee, and we want photos.
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:06pm (Feb 6th 2010)

But not in the buff, you understand. There are limits...:)
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:13pm (Feb 6th 2010)

I think deep down i still long to be a punk rocker!!! that name punk rocker sounds so stupid nowadays.
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:13pm (Feb 6th 2010)

Oh cripes no we dont want any system over load
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:16pm (Feb 6th 2010)

Just say 'punk' then. I don't know any punks who actually called themselves punk rockers, do you? And if you want to be a punk, go for it! I've got lots of safety pins if you want 'em...:D
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:21pm (Feb 6th 2010)

Perhaps like this ?
      punkrock.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:23pm (Feb 6th 2010)

Well cool
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:23pm (Feb 6th 2010)

• CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:26pm (Feb 6th 2010)

Short intake of breath at the sight of that hair style.
    Puts to shame my efforts with strands of "Victoria Plum"
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:37pm (Feb 6th 2010)

You could always give it ago Ollie!! I did go to a fancy dress party a couple of years ago and i went as Sid vicious as it was a music theme through the decades it was brilliant but the photos i had were lost so here is the man himself!!! i even had the chain and lock!!
      Sid+Vicious.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 5:51pm (Feb 6th 2010)

Brill love it but love Jonny Lydon more.
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 6:06pm (Feb 6th 2010)

Yes Sid did have a few issues but we wont go there !! John Lydon has turned into quite a nice bloke and he is very funny.
      johnny_rotten_001_073007 (400 x 512).jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 6:57pm (Feb 6th 2010)

Ahh that's my boy just love him to bits love his group PIL and fav song Rise
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 10:21pm (Feb 6th 2010)

My sis in law was a punk and used to do the spiked hair and all that. Strange to think of that now - she's now a home owner, loves gardening, has a great sense of humour (never saw her smile when she was a punk!) and wears sensible shoes instead of the HUGE heels she used to wear! Her boyfriend at that time (I'm talking about nearly 30 years ago by the way) was also a punk - blond spikes, piercings, trousers with chains etc, and was the loveliest bloke you could meet. Everyone loved him. Wonder what he's doing now?
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2010 3:39pm (Feb 7th 2010)

OH Kate that story really takes me back there now look at me Dad Dancing :lol:
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2010 6:37pm (Feb 7th 2010)

Punks aren't ALLOWED to smile, Kate. It's The Law. Like hoodies...it really bugs them if you smile at 'em!
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2010 7:45pm (Feb 7th 2010)

Yes I know CC, but she learnt how to eventually!! In fact, she has a fabulous sense of humour and my jaw is usually aching after wen've had a couple of hours together from laughing so much!