• CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 10:11pm (Feb 2nd 2010) edited

when i first had chickens I once saw one of them eat a live mouse and i was horrified!!!!!! :gasp: but after worrying for the rest of the day i found out that it was nothing to be concerned about at all however not very nice!!

Whats the craziest thing yours have eaten ???
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2010 10:53pm (Feb 2nd 2010)

Look out Mel!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2010 3:29am (Feb 3rd 2010)

Erm...big polystyrene squares they found behind the shed... :glare:

They apparently liked the noise their beaks made when they tore chunks free and, instead of spitting them out, obviously decided to swallow them :-\

Oh, and Penny once pecked a huge scab off my dad's knee and ate that too :ack2:
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2010 3:31am (Feb 3rd 2010)

Forgot to say, I like the idea of this thread :nodyes:
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2010 2:50pm (Feb 3rd 2010)

I can confirm that the aforementioned vicious scab-picking bloody hurt as well.
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2010 3:27pm (Feb 3rd 2010)

:ack2: Disgusserous! Mind you, mine have been known to eat my cooking...:gasp:
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2010 7:01pm (Feb 3rd 2010) edited

:rofl:
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2010 9:42pm (Feb 3rd 2010)

My dog once ate a dead baby bird that had fallen out of its nest. :_puke:
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2010 10:01pm (Feb 3rd 2010) edited

Getting round to cats and dogs.
    I looked at the labels on the cat food sachets daughter was purchasing = 4% meat. So that means 96% other stuff, none of which seemed very nutritious. eg., "Ash"
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2010 3:22pm (Feb 4th 2010)

I just had such a laughing fit at the mouse and scab episodes. My cats have took themselves up to bed real annoyed with me for making so much noise while they were having a nap and listening to smooth radio.
    I can not think of anything strange mine have eaten so sorry I can not make you laugh in return.
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 6:17pm (Feb 6th 2010)

The chicks tried to eat eyeballs, and Daisy once almost ate my friend's diamond ear-ring... :gasp:
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2010 6:30pm (Feb 6th 2010)

Yes i know what you mean about the eyes i have learnt that one!!! :crying:
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2010 3:33pm (Feb 7th 2010)

I Have just clipped my fingernails in the back garden with 2 chickens at my feet eating the nails as they hit the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how gross is that!! :ack2:
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2010 6:37pm (Feb 7th 2010)

It's all roughage...:rolling:
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2010 6:40pm (Feb 7th 2010)

OMG gross or what.
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2010 7:43pm (Feb 7th 2010)

Could've been worse Lee, it could've been your toenails! Bleugh!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2010 9:30pm (Feb 7th 2010)

OH yes imagine that the big toe nail!!!!!!!!!! :_puke:
      CommentAuthorChicken Wing
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th, 2010 6:31pm (Feb 10th 2010)

I went out once and left my ex in charge of my chickens and asked him to feed them while I was gone. When I got back in he said those chickens didn't seem interested in the food I put down the pecked at it and spat it out, "hmm" I though I will have to investigate this. When I checked he'd only put cat litter down for them to eat as it was next to the bag of chicken feed! :_ohmy:
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th, 2010 6:47pm (Feb 10th 2010) edited

No wonder they spat it out CW!!!!!! Easy mistake to make though if you don,t no!

Cat Litter

Layers pellets below
      CatLitter.jpg
      organiclayerpellets-rw.gif
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th, 2010 7:54pm (Feb 10th 2010)

That is so funny Chicken Wing. My hens come in the consevatory if I leave the door open just to look in the cat's litter trays but so far they haven't eaten any.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th, 2010 9:19pm (Feb 16th 2010)

My girls seem tobe eating the mortar from the bottom two rows of stone in the wall thats on two sides of their run. Needless to say G not looking forward to having to get the stone mason out to re-do it, only for htem to eat it again.
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2010 7:26pm (Feb 17th 2010)

We have one of those prefab type garages with the small stones coating the outside. My hens had a real go at pecking them off then I realised they wanted extra grit so I have provided them with two big dishes of it and they leave the garage alone now. It might be worth doing the same Tracy as they get through a fair amount of it. I mix the grit with oyster shell to help them make the egg shell.
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2010 7:32pm (Feb 17th 2010)

I mix oyster shell to NN with there mixed corn with a drop of cod liver oil to.
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2010 7:38pm (Feb 17th 2010)

I bought a huge sack of it and leave the top open so they help them selves from that cos they think that's more tasty. I also mix it as I said with the grit so they have plenty of options. I do give mine cod liver oil when they are moulting, I just can not stand the smell of it, it makes me gag I had to have it from a spoon when I was a kid. Erk nasty nasty stuff
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2010 7:41pm (Feb 17th 2010)

Very nasty stuff makes me feel sick just thinking about it :_puke:
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2010 7:46pm (Feb 17th 2010)

But by golly, didn't all that cod liver oil do us a power of good?

I didn't mind it when I was pregnant and we were given it free. I would swig it straight from the bottle!

Health and Safety men would be after me if I did that in this day and age!
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2010 7:50pm (Feb 17th 2010)

I will say that we didn't have colds and stuff like the kiddies seem to nowadays. I am bad and always have a slurp of buttercup syrup straight from the bottle when I have a cough. It seems to work better than having it from a spoon. I am the only one that has it so no harm to anyone else.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2010 7:51pm (Feb 17th 2010)

They do have grit, they've got a dish of grit in thier side of the house, and each of the next boxes has shell in it, I'll perhaps try mixing some of the grit with the shell thought thanks. T.
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2010 7:56pm (Feb 17th 2010)

Little tinkers I wonder if they have found a source of bugs in there Tracy? Got to be something that atracts them to it.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2010 7:59pm (Feb 17th 2010)

I think its bugs etc, but yes little tinkers would be one way to describe them. :-)
    • CommentAuthorGeorgie:)
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th, 2010 4:51pm (Feb 19th 2010)

Not my chickens but ours at school eat pencils :S.
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th, 2010 4:59pm (Feb 19th 2010)

This has really turned into a very strange thread it has amazed me at just what they will eat and they are all different.
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th, 2010 7:01pm (Feb 19th 2010)

Silly old things Ha ha
    • CommentAuthorGeorgie:)
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th, 2010 8:04pm (Feb 19th 2010)

Yup, there is a rumor going round they are burning them, something was burning in school last week and, it didn't smell too good either.