• CommentTimeFeb 16th, 2010 1:24pm (Feb 16th 2010) edited

In England, (and the rest of the UK) the Tuesday before Lent is known as Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday or Fat tuesday or Mardis gras) On that day it is traditional to eat pancakes, toss pancakes and take part in pancake races.

The origins of eating pancakes arose from Christians who observe Lent and wanted to use up all the rich foods in their cupboards before Lent. During Lent eggs, sugar and butter were not allowed so these ingreadients were used to make pancakes.

Today everyone celebrates Pancake Day regardless of religion.

A traditional English pancake is very thin and is served immediately from the frying pan.

Caster sugar (superfine sugar) is sprinkled over the top and a dash of fresh lemon juice added. The pancake is then rolled. Some people put golden syrup or jam on their pancakes.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th, 2010 8:40pm (Feb 16th 2010)

ohhhh fiddle I forgot and have filled myself up with beef cassarole now.
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th, 2010 9:55pm (Feb 16th 2010)

I posted on Vicki's topic thread that our pancakes weren't very nice. Hubby made the mix too thick and instead of thinning it down I just went with it so as not to hurt his feelings!
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2010 5:33pm (Feb 17th 2010)

Can anyone tell me why the LAST pancake is perfect?? :angry:
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2010 7:05pm (Feb 17th 2010)

That is so true CC, Jay and Grandad North had six each. I was fed up with making them in the end they were like a pair of gannets standing in the kitchen scoffing them while I slaved over the hot pan.
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2010 5:36am (Feb 18th 2010)

Here in the USA it's Mardis gras. I like the idea of Pancake Day though..sounds yummy.
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2010 12:53pm (Feb 18th 2010)

I must admit we do have pancakes quite often. They make a nice quick treat.
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th, 2010 1:29am (Feb 19th 2010)

ha ha ha NN the image of Jay and GN scoffing pancakes, brings back memories of my two sons and hubby eating them as fast as I could make them yum yum!
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th, 2010 11:19am (Feb 19th 2010)

We haven't had our pancake day yet :hungry:
    • CommentAuthorGeorgie:)
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th, 2010 11:48am (Feb 19th 2010)

We cheated and got ready made pancackes and my Dad is silly enough to go and buy them without any thing to put on them and then they had stew, but i had plane old pasta again :_oh_really: he hasn't eaten them since, only me :L x
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th, 2010 6:44pm (Feb 19th 2010)

Pancakes are not just for pancake day Red, do you like them with savoury fillings? I used to. They are also nice with banana and brown sugar or butterscotch sauce.