• CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2010 3:18pm (Feb 22nd 2010) edited

Nanny Norths date and walnut cake

First off Lee you will need half a pint of tea

Then measure into a saucepan
    4oz marge
    4oz sugar
    4oz whole dates
    2oz broken up walnuts
    Add the tea and boil for three mins then set aside to cool

Now set your oven to 180 degrees and put oven rack to just under half way.

Grease and line a loaf tin with non stick paper. It will make it easier to remove the cake when it is cooked

I usually make myself a cup of coffee about now !!!

Next thing is to beat two eggs in a small bowl and set aside

Into another bowl weigh out
    9oz S R flour
    half a teaspoon salt
    half a rounded teaspoon mixed spice
    sift these together
      make tea.jpg
      lined tin.jpg
      measure flour.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2010 3:38pm (Feb 22nd 2010) edited

When your fruit and tea mixture has cooled, I usually stick a clean finger in it to see how hot it is !! you want it warm but not hot enough to cook eggs when you add them
    Add beaten eggs and mix together... dont beat it as you dont want to bust your dates up too much

Right now we add this to the flour mixture and quickly mix it all together, then put it into the prepared tin.

Put cake into the oven it will take about three quarters of an hour to an hour. If the cake seems to brown quickly place a double sheet of grease proof paper lightly on top and continue cooking.

To check if cake is cooked you lightly press top with a finger and the cake should spring back up leaving no indentation. It should have slightly shrunk away from the sides of the tin.

Let cake cool in tin for five minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool remove paper carefully and leave to cool completely

Now try it with another cup of coffee.
      make coffee.jpg
      put in tin.jpg
      almost done.jpg
      yum.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2010 4:59pm (Feb 22nd 2010)

Oh I forgot to say let me know how you get on with it and if you can post a picture of your cake.
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2010 5:17pm (Feb 22nd 2010)

Thanks NN Your pictures and what to do has got to be idiot proof thats amazing thank you NN for trouble you take over these recipes this will be made at the weekend and with pictures good or bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2010 5:34pm (Feb 22nd 2010)

I have every faith in you so go for it...... I will put the chilli one up soon.
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2010 5:41pm (Feb 22nd 2010)

• CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2010 8:14pm (Feb 22nd 2010) edited

ALABAMA CHILLI

Ok Lee here we go, you will need your slow cooker for this one.

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons of oil
    I lb minced beef
    2 onions peeled and chopped
    2 peeled and grated carrots
    2 red peppers deseeded and diced
    2 chilli's deseeded and chopped small, (you can leave seeds in if you like your chilli real hot.)
    4 tablespoons of tomato puree
    8 oz of frozen sweet corn
    I can chopped tomatoes
    1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
    I teaspoon chilli powder
    Half teaspoon mixed herbs
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Make some stock with
    1/4 pint hot water
    2 beef oxo cubes
    1 vegetable oxo cube
      alabama chilli 2.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2010 8:15pm (Feb 22nd 2010) edited

Heat I tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and brown the meat.
    While it is browning
    Turn your slow cooker on to high
    Add the tin of tomato's, kidney beans and stock.
    Transfer meat to cooker
    Heat the rest of the oil and saute onion until lightly brown
    Then add with all the remaining ingredients to slow cooker .
    Give it a good stir then
    Cook on high untill it is bubbling,
    now turn to low for a couple of hours or so until needed.
    Taste half way through cooking to see if you need more chilli powder.
    If Chilli is a bit watery add a bit more tomato puree to thicken it up
    For a main meal
    Serve with boiled rice or on fluffy baked potato

For a light snack
    Sprinkle grated cheese on corn chips and grill until cheese has melted
    serve these with a bowl of chilli

Enjoy
      chilli cooked.jpg
      with corn chips.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2010 8:38pm (Feb 22nd 2010)

yum yum - both look great.... I think your going to be in demand now NN I can see a new weekly update coming.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 3:41pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

NN this looks fantastic this will also have to be cooked this weekend i think!!!:drool5:
    Thank you again NN for your trouble you have really lit my fire as to this cooking game its given me the kick up the bum to get on with it because i do enjoy it when i have the time!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 3:43pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

Oh thats the other thing will this feed 5 of us or shall i up the ingredients NN ?
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 6:38pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

Real glad to have been of some help Lee, It is nice when the weather is nasty to have something to do rather than sit about watching the box. The chilli served about four but we do rather eat a lot. I was daft when I made it cos normally I double the mix and freeze half for a easy ready meal when we have been out or I don't feel well enough to cook.
    I had a thought on the cake recipe I put the cooker heat as celsius but suddenly thought you might have gas let me know if you have gas and I wil tell you what it needs to be on. Also my loaf tin is a long one if yours is short and deep you might need to cook it a bit longer about an hour and a quarter.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 6:46pm (Feb 23rd 2010) edited

Hi NN
    My oven is Electric so no prob and my tin is short deep and fat so i will bare that in mind thank you. :smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 6:52pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

you will have to cook it a tad longer probably then. I have a nice Dorset apple cake recipe for you to try next week. I will make one and take pics again so you know what I am on about. Think about what savoury dish you want to make. Do you make spaghetti bolognese with one of those awful Ragu sauces? You wont want to after you try mine !!!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 7:02pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

Thanks NN. Yes we do have spaghetti bolognese a lot and yes it is with one of those sauces but it could be any make some are not bad but if you say yours is good then i we had better try that next week then!!!! cant wait!!!!!!:drool5:
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 8:34pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

OH NN sorry and most defiantly the Dorset Apple Cake!!!!!!!! :drool5:
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 11:48pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

Well what a delightfill thread this is, 'Nanny North's Cooking Corner', recipes and hints galore along with clear instructions and PHOTOS too!!!

I love it NN. I do make a chilli recipe myself, have printed yours off and will see how different it is to mine and give it a try. Yum Yum.
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2010 7:27pm (Feb 24th 2010)

Glad you like the thread T/M I hope you will join in with a some of your own recipes we can share. I would love to give your chilli a try !!! Photos are optional Ha ha.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 6:56pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Tracy was it you that said you had lost your jam recipe for the bread maker? I have a couple of recipes in my Kenwood booklet if you would like them.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:02pm (Feb 25th 2010)

I have a bread maker NN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you no what i am going to say next don,t you NN!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Cuisinart-CBK-200-2-Pound-Convection-Automatic-Bread-Maker-300x300.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:10pm (Feb 25th 2010)

ooohhhhh yes please NN - I think mines a kenwood - can't actually remember - you can tell how much I use it can't you.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:12pm (Feb 25th 2010)

I have been baking wholemeal bread in my machine but take it out to prove and bake in a real oven.
    Today I have mixed a "starter" for sourdough bread.
    I've never tasted any so won't know if I have done it right in the end!

I am on the hunt for real seville marmalade made in trad way without pectin setters etc. Farmer's market had some but it had lemon as setting agent and was too bitter (don't like lemons - except as lemon curd) also it was very expensive.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:26pm (Feb 25th 2010)

ok no probs I love my breadmaker I had a kenwood when they first came out and it lasted me for years and year making bread every day. Then it just died I was devestated I have a breville now that Jay bought me as it had a recipe for gluten free bread. Bless him he is so thoughtful
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:27pm (Feb 25th 2010)

You mean you don't make your own, NN??? :gasp:My mum uses Mamade from Sainsburys to make her own as she hates sweet marmalade.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:29pm (Feb 25th 2010) edited

BREADMAKER JAM RECIPES

Summer Fruits Jam

BM250 - Program 10
    BM350 - Program 12

BM250 and BM350
    Ingredients 450g Jam
    Strawberries 115g
    Raspberries 115g
    Redcurrents 75g
    Lemon juice 1 tsp
    Jam sugar with pectin 300g
    Butter 15g

Method

Remove the bread pan from the machine and fit the kneader. Halve the strawberries if large and place in the bread pan with the raspberries and redcurrents. Add the rest of the ingredients.

Insert and lock the bread pan into the bread machine. Close the lid and select the jam program from the menu.

At the end of the cycle, turn of and then remove the bread pan using oven gloves.

Carefully pour the jam into a sterilised jar, seal and label
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:35pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Apricot Jam

BM250 - program 10
    BM350 - program 12

BM250 and BM350
    Ingredients 350g jam
    Fresh ripe apricots 250g
    Lemon juice 2 tsp
    Water 1 tbsp
    Jam sugar with pectin 250g
    Butter 15g

Method

Remove the bread pan from the machine and fit the kneader. Halve and stone the apricots. Cut each half into four pieces and place in the bread pan. Add the rest of the ingredients.

Allow to mix for 15 minutes, then if necessary scrape down the sides of the pan with a wooden spoon to remove any sugar. Take care as the bread pan is hot.

At the end of the cycle, turn off then remove the bread pan using oven gloves.

Carefully pour the jam into a sterilised jar, seal and label.

Variation

Plums can be substituted for the apricots
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:41pm (Feb 25th 2010)

I love apricots, mum tells me you shouldn't eat dried apricots if you have asthma??? not sure if the means all dried fruit or just apricots
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:58pm (Feb 25th 2010)

I used to make my own bread by hand when the kids were young CC But over the years my hands have lost their strength so the bread maker is like a God send to me. Yes I do make my own Marmalade I have a old recipe in my Marguerite Patten book that I will copy out for Ollie. The book cost 2/6 so you can see it ancient ha ha a bit like me.Grandad North just came in so I had to see to his meal so am a bit slow tonight.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 8:08pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Apricots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ack2::_puke:
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 8:11pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Apricots Yummmmmmy love them. I hadn't heard about them being bad for Asthma though.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 8:14pm (Feb 25th 2010)

I will do your seville marmalade recipe tomorrow Ollie. I have done two tonight and feel tired now.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 8:14pm (Feb 25th 2010)

The Mamade cans include pectin I seem to remember, not seen any of those for a long time.
    I never thought of the old cook books, I have some handwritten ones too.
    The In-Law-family have a "Mrs Beeton", very well worn. I bought myself a reproduction but never found it much use, maybe if I look at it all these years later I'll see it in a different light.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 8:18pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Good job i do not like them NN i have Asthma!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 8:22pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Yes I think they do Ollie I have used the cans and added whiskey at the end as quick Christmas gifts. I love the old recipe books. Seville oranges do have a season and you can not get them all year round I think it is January and February are the best months to buy them.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 10:20pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Are bread makers that good? I've often thought of getting one, but when Warburtons make such great bread .... ! Besides which, my kitchen is really small, don't know where I'd keep it.
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2010 11:37am (Feb 26th 2010)

Can not beat fresh bread being cooked in your own kitchen Kate. But only get one if you are sure you will used it or else it will end up in the cupboard and a waste of money.
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2010 11:44am (Feb 26th 2010)

Bread machine could be kept somewhere else. Even used somewhere else, filling the home with it's wonderful smells.
    Though I find that equipment out of sight doesn't get used as much.
    At one time I had lots of gizmos and hubby built me a shelf all along a wide worktop to keep them on, there was a huge supply of powerpoints under there too. It was amazing but when I started full time training for my profession it became too much to even keep them dusted off.
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2010 11:53am (Feb 26th 2010)

Right Ollie here is your Seville orange recipe. I do have a sweeter version but it has citric acid in it so dont know if you fancy that......

Seville Orange Marmalade

Coarse cut and bitter
    Cooking time aprox two hours

1 lb Seville oranges
    2 pints of water
    2 lb sugar

Wash oranges thoroughly and put whole into a covered pan with the water
    Simmer slowly for about one and a half hours or until a blunt wooden skewer will easily pierce the skin
    Retaining the liquid remove oranges and leave to cool
    Cut up oranges neatly and put pips into liquid, then boil steadily for 10 minutes to extract the natural pectin from them.
    Remove pips and replace cut orange pulp
    Bring to the boil and add the warmed sugar stirring until the sugar has dissolved
    Bring to the boil again and boil rapidly with out stirring until setting point is reached
    It is advisable to start testing the marmalade after 15 minutes
    Seal marmalade into warmed sterilised pots
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2010 11:55am (Feb 26th 2010)

GRRRR I just had to type that all out twice as I lost the first one for some reason. It may turn up else where I suppose so sorry if you get it twice
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2010 12:31pm (Feb 26th 2010)

Many thanks NN. This looks to be the bee's knees!
    I should be out shopping tonight but only to small supermarket. If I can't get Sevilles there I'll go into town in the morning. Need to remember to buy sugar too. I seem to get a bag of sugar only about once a year. Shows how much baking I do!
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2010 12:32pm (Feb 26th 2010)

I can see the Hencam Cookbook on the Library shelves at the side of the Hencam Dictionary.
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2010 1:34pm (Feb 26th 2010)

I am so pleased that is what you wanted Ollie. My poor old Marguerite Patten book has been like a faithful friend to me over the years. The recipes are all good and have helped me preserve gluts of fruit and veg when my children were small. Having three boys they used to have real healthy appetites living out in the sticks as we did.
    Ha ha the Hencam cook book would be a good idea if we all contirbuted a recipee or two towards it.
    I wouldn't bother to bake much if I was by myself ollie. I couldn't eat it anyhow. But it is quite expensive to make your own nowadays unless if you can get the ingredients for next to nothing.
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2010 7:42pm (Feb 26th 2010)

Anyone want my crispy duck recipe again...? :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 1:48pm (Feb 27th 2010)

I would love the crispy duck recipe please CC I love duck!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 1:59pm (Feb 27th 2010) edited

Right NN it is 1.50pm and i have just finished preparing the Alabama Chili and it is now in the pot it all went very well apart from forgetting the corn so as you can see from the pictures there are peas instead!!oh and don,t do what i did after chopping the onions and chili,s try to get an eye lash out of your eye!!!!!!!!!!:cry:it stings a bit!!!!
    And i also had some help from Babs to!!! chickens they get everywhere the only help she gave me was a nice poo on the floor!!
    When i serve it up i will report back i am doing the cake tomorrow i am off to watch Brighton play now with my son see you later.
      DSCF3933 (600 x 450).jpg
      DSCF3930 (648 x 486).jpg
      DSCF3931 (648 x 486).jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 2:01pm (Feb 27th 2010) edited

My helper
      DSCF3927 (648 x 486).jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 2:48pm (Feb 27th 2010)

That looks yummy Lee well done and the best thing about this is you can adjust the ingredients. Sorry about the eye I should have said how lethal Chillies were you have to be very careful what sensitive parts of the body you touch !!!! Glad it was a nice poo from Babs and not one of those runny jobs.

I didn't post much yesterday as I was upset about Milly, and kept having a bit of a weep. Good luck with your cake tomorrow I look forward to hearing about it.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 2:50pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Oh Lee good luck with CC's Crispy Duck recipe she describes the method really clearly.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 6:24pm (Feb 27th 2010) edited

Here goes...I can't remember it verbatim, so I'll just put it down as far as I remember.
    Take one bottle of good white wine, chilled. Find the menu and knock back a glass of the wine whilst perusing it in case you feel like something extra to eat with the crispy duck. Ring Marlow 482502 and when Kim answers say 'It's me.' He will then say 'O God. Right, fifteen minutes' (or perhaps ten, in which case you will need to drink faster). Knock back another two glasses of wine, then stumble off down the path to Sun Ya. Weave your way back and finish the bottle. Or open another one...:drinkparty:
    Et voila! Perfect crispy duck...
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 6:32pm (Feb 27th 2010) edited

Boo Hoo, I have missed the Seville oranges.
    All sold out and no more deliveries till next year.
    I will go to the "Help the Aged" coffee morn and see if I can catch up on some marmalade there before it is all sold.

Can I use the same recipe for ordinary oranges too?

Your guide lines seem great. Thank you.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 6:38pm (Feb 27th 2010) edited

Oh CC i should have known it was a wined up i fell for that one hook line and sinker!!! :lol:
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 6:40pm (Feb 27th 2010)

I have some bread on it's final rise. Kneaded in the machine but risen in oven tin ready for conventional baking.

My sourdough starter is foaming away, looks like it'll be ready very soon.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 6:42pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Oh ollie lets have a picture of it and let me know what its like!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 6:47pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Well NN me and the 2 boys are in waiting to eat my Alabama chili but the girls are not in they went down to Eastbourne to watch Snow white and the Seven dwarfs on Ice!! and they are not back yet!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 6:49pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Yumm fresh bread don't it mell divine. I often just get it kneeded in the machine Ollie especially If I intend to do rolls or make olive bread or pizza bases. The machine takes all the hard work out of it.
    I am interested in the sour dough keep us up to date with it please I have never made it myself. Grandad North loves it.

Ha ha CC is funny with her recipes isnt she.... got me last time but as she says it is perfect every time
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 6:53pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Oh I forgot to mention Ollie about your oranges. What a blasted shame.... do you have a market you could visit it might be worth it. I will check in the M. Pattern book and see what she comes up with. If you make it with ordinary oranges it will be sweeter. Personally I don't care for the Seville marmalade and make the sweeter ones. So can not tell you off the top of my head. I will have a look and see what she has to offer.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 6:54pm (Feb 27th 2010)

So do you make bread very often Lee you have a smart looking machine there.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 6:55pm (Feb 27th 2010)

And here it is steaming and ready to eat and it tastes wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      DSCF3934 (648 x 486).jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 7:02pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Wow that looks real good Lee. Well done I am proud of you. Are you having it with rice ??
    I did us roast pork with roast spuds, parsnips, onions and sweet potato. We had carrots, green beans and broccoli also and I am feeling stuffed now.
    We got plum pie for pudding but will have that in an hour or so. Can you make pastry? I photo'ed it all so you can have a go for next week.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 7:08pm (Feb 27th 2010)

We Are having it with Rice.
    And i bought some Pork belly today for tomorrow,s Roast.I have never made pastry i think that may be beyond me you can buy it ready made!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 7:12pm (Feb 27th 2010)

The only pastry I ever buy is Puff as it is such a rigmarole to make. The bought one is real good and most professional chefs use it nowadays. Now don't say it is beyond you this is your new hobby remember and if you havent been shown you won't know how to.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 7:16pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Thats true NN i will try anything once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile: :wink:
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 7:18pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Good Lad I will make some eccles cakes this comming week with bought puff pastry so if you fancy those let me know.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 7:30pm (Feb 27th 2010)

:drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5:
    They are most most favorite cake of all time but they do differ in taste from baker to baker i like them very buttery!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 7:34pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Its Time to Eat NN at last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 7:34pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Ok we will give them a go then.... the children will soon scoff them especially if they are like mine.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 8:06pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Have a go at pastry Leevaux, I wouldn't try puff pastry, but its really satisfying and easier that you think, Let yus know how you get on.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 8:29pm (Feb 27th 2010) edited

Well NN What a great success that was every one really liked it Sara my wife said it was the best chili she had tasted and that i was a good cook!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about that then!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like cars not cooking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it must be the aging process!!! it was nice though!! thank you very much NN for the recipe.
      DSCF3937 (648 x 486).jpg
      DSCF3938 (648 x 486).jpg
      DSCF3936 (648 x 486).jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 8:33pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Well done Lee it does look real good. I am surprised you managed to hold them off while you took the pictures and you did the cheesy corn chips I just love them. I am so pleased for you did you have to double the recipe ? It looks as if you had a good plate full each.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 8:42pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Yes NN you have noticed with your beady eyes a lot of chili i did double it but there is some left thank goodness because they want some more!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for another day.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 8:53pm (Feb 27th 2010) edited

Oh thats good Lee it is nice when all your hard work proves to be so succesfull isnt it. I showed Grandad North your pictures and he said, "oh he has done well" and I said, "oh I dont mind helping lee, cos I dont have to do the washing up like I do with you" That made him laugh.
    We just had some pie and it was lovely. I tasted a bit of pastry although I shouldn't really have it and it was mega nice.
    Grandad North sugested I show you how to make my famous cheese cake. He made one on Wednesday and it was lovely.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 9:04pm (Feb 27th 2010)

I can see this discussion turning to into a well used thread.. :-)
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 9:07pm (Feb 27th 2010)

Please join in with a recipe or two Tracy so I have something to try !!!
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 9:10pm (Feb 27th 2010)

OK, do you have special dietary requirements - noticed you mentioned not eating the pastry? T
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2010 9:15pm (Feb 27th 2010)

gluten and wheat intolerance Tracy.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 6:15am (Feb 28th 2010)

um CC just referring back a page to your crispy duck recipe...that is hilarious, I think I read it a while back in one of your earlier posts, poor Lee, he did fall in hook, line and sinker.
    Nice too see all the productive cooking and swapping of recips, with brilliant support from CC I must post one soon. I am a 'savoury tooth' so will dig into my files.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 8:40am (Feb 28th 2010)

OK HERE WE GO

JULIE’S BAKED BEANS IN CROCKPOT

450G/2 ½ Cups dried haricot (navy) beans
    I used Great Northern beans and some dried ‘4 bean mix (red kidney, green baby lima, garbanzo, cannelli),
    4 whole cloves
    2 peeled brown onions, halved
    1 bay leaf
    10 tabs tomato sauce, maybe use a bit more if desired.
    2 tabs molasses (or maple syrup or treacle)
    2 tabs dark brown sugar
    1 tab Dijon mustard
    475 mls/2 cups unsalted chicken or vegie stock or more if needed
    225g piece salt pork, I used pork spare ribs, try 4 plus some ham chunks off the bone.
    Salt and pepper

1. Rinse beans, cover in cold water and soak for at least 8 hrs or overnight

2. Drain, rinse and place in pan
    Boil 10 mins and drain
    Place in crockpot
    Stick 2 cloves in each half onion and add to crock pot with bay leaf

3. Mix sauce, molasses, sugar, mustard and stock and pour over beans.
    Add more stock if needed so beans are almost covered with liquid

4. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours

5. Towards end of cooking time put pork in pan of boiling water and cook 3 mins. Remove and score rind or just remove rind and excess fat from pork ribs. Add pork to pot (leave in whole pieces) and push down below surface,
    Cook 5-6 hours on low till beans are tender

6. Remove pork and cool slightly, remove onions and remove cloves then puree in blender. This thickens up the mix in crockpot
    Skim any fat off beans then add meat. Season and serve.

This does not make a very tomato-ey recipe but is really yummy!
    Any questions, just ask.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 11:52am (Feb 28th 2010)

I had no idea that unsalted stock existed!
    I find most commercial food too salty for me and stock cubes are hopeless.
    Had a look round google and found lots of info.
    Thanks for the revelation.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 11:58am (Feb 28th 2010)

Ohhh Julie thats looks a superb recipe really yummy and just the sort of thing I like. I will certainly be trying that I will get the Haricot beans on Wednesday when I do my weekly shop. I will see what other dried beans are available as well. I do have butter beans so could probably use them as well if need be. Thank you I will let you know how it goes.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 12:04pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Ollie I have had a look in my trusty Marguerite Patten book and have found this for you.
    She calls it dark marmalade. You use the recipe and method that I gave you before only using sweet oranges.
    Then when you add the sugar put in a good desert spoon of black treacle to each pound of sugar. It will give it a rich flavour and a nice dark colour.
    I hope this is of some use for you.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 1:48pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Good old M Patten.
    Glad all is not lost till next year. I always have lots of oranges as I squeeze my own, just need the sugar now and swat up on detecting setting times.

Black treacle, aah...
    When I was an evacuee in Northern Wales there was a barrel of this on the way down to the cow sheds. It was for them really but it was fitted with a tap, so we children often had a taste or two. Yummy!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 2:12pm (Feb 28th 2010)

To test if Jam or Marmalade had reached setting point, ALWAYS TAKE THE PAN OFF THE HEAT AS YOU TEST and TEST EARLY !!

There are three good ways of testing:

1) Test with a sugar thermometer-jam sets at a temperature of 220 degrees F.

2) Stir preserve thoroughly with a wooden spoon, turn the spoon round to cool the jam adhering to it, then hold the spoon horizontally. If am has set it will form a firm drop or flake on the edge of the spoon.

3) Put a little on a cold saucer, cool it, and if adequately set it should wrinkle and feel firm
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 2:24pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Yes I love the taste and smell of the black treacle as well Ollie. I think it was called molasses for the cattle. I used to like nibbling on the cow cake as well. It was like a large version of the pellets you feed rabbits
      dried_apple_pomace_for_cattle_feeding_jpg_200x200.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 5:19pm (Feb 28th 2010) edited

Right NN here is my First Date and walnut cake I cooked it this morning at about 8am then left it to cool and took my son to his football match in Seaford and again it was cold and very wet but they won he plays for the Seagulls under 15s.Got back at 3pm to try my cake and very nice it was to now the only problem i have is it did not seem to rise as much as yours and it is a little heavy at the bottom what would cause this i did open the oven a few times to check it would that have done it do you think ? But not bad for my first attempt.
      DSCF3939 (648 x 486).jpg
      DSCF3940 (648 x 486).jpg
      DSCF3941 (648 x 486).jpg
      DSCF3942 (648 x 486).jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 6:42pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Well done Lee the cake looks really nice and as you say for a first try it is really good. It probably was a tad heavy due to opening the oven door a bit to much or could be cos you added the egg to the wet mix when it was still a bit too hot. Don't worry as all is not lost serve it up with hot custard for pudding one evening. It makes a real nice afters as we used to call it as kids!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 6:43pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Oh I forgot to say well done to your son (is it Max) for winning the match I bet he was well chuffed.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 6:48pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Well we had Chicken ISSY tonight handcooked by me - and it was All Right. Well, we're still alive...
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 6:52pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Thats good news CC well done....umm what is chicken ISSY ?
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 7:31pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Fry up garlic, onion, celery, cubed potatoes, stir in cooked ch*cken, chorizo sausage and a tin of tomatoes and olives and a ch*cken oxo and half a bottle of dodgy white wine given to me by someone who didn't like me much. Let it fester all afternoon in a low oven.Try it on the cats first, if no casualties, go for it.
    ISSY = If Sh**, Sun Ya. (Sun Ya being the best Chinese restaurant in the whole world).
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 8:42pm (Feb 28th 2010)

That sounds rather delish CC I will definately give it a try. Wow you have posted a do it yourself recipe at last whoooo hoooo. :woohoo:
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 9:23pm (Feb 28th 2010)

My ch****n receipe is similar, fry off some onion and garlic remove from pan, fry 4 ch****n breast to brown them then remove, fry chorizo (you can either use one of the pre-cooked ones Lidl do a good one, or Tesco do an uncooked ready to cook pack of 4). Then add 2 tins of tomatoes and get all the nice sticky bits of the bottom of the pan, throw eveything else back in. Mix about 1.5 table spoons of red wine vinegar with a tea spoon of caster sugar which give it a really nice depth of flavour. Bung it in the oven to cook on low heat for a few hours then chuck a drained tin of beans of your choice and cooke the beans through

serve with rice, mash or some nice crusty bread.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 9:25pm (Feb 28th 2010)

I have to say one of my favourite nibbles is chorizo, i normally buy one of the thin long ones from Lidl, slice it in to 1/2cm peices and fry it off until the outsid eis abit crispy, great as a nibble whilst watching the rugby in the afternoon with a pint in Gary's case and an orange squash and slim line tonic...... gosh I know how to live don't I.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 9:26pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Have you guys tried having your chilli with guacomole and sour cream on the top its yummy....
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 9:36pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Oh CC When i started to read your post on chicken issy i thought here we go again another wined up that i won,t fall for again.But you have actually cooked it!!!!!!!!! don,t tell me CC is weakening to this cooking game :fingerscrossed: :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 9:39pm (Feb 28th 2010)

TracyB no i have not tried it with guacomole and sour cream i will make a note on the chili recipe otherwise you forget all these ideas people are giving you.:wink:
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 10:03pm (Feb 28th 2010) edited

Now I think NN I may have added the eggs to soon and opened the door to much i will remember that for next time. And yes it is Max my oldest Son,This is them just warming up before the match it was a cup game semi final so they are now in the final.Max has the yellow top on.
      28022010635 (512 x 384).jpg
      28022010643 (512 x 384).jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 10:39pm (Feb 28th 2010)

I remember all those hours stood on the touchline in pouring rain - it was such a relief when my son finally gave up! Ice hockey might be played in a freezing cold arena, but at least its dry. Usually. (Go Canada! Don't let the yanks beat you!!!)
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 11:35pm (Feb 28th 2010) edited

yum, me too, we love that sort of dish CC.

Great job with cake Lee good on you for trying recipe.

NN you will love the flavours in mine, its delish! If its seems too thick for you just slurp in some wine or more stock.

Tracy we love sour cream and guacomole on top of chilli!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 4:24pm (Mar 1st 2010)

Tracy - orange ad slimline?? Whatever happened to the G(ary) and T(racy) G&T?????
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 6:39pm (Mar 1st 2010) edited

Hey Lee I have just the thing for warming up after the game, it is a nice hearty soup, simple to make yet full of nourishment and a great favourite with my family.
    It can be put into the slow cooker fifteen minutes after adding the potatoes on low so that all you have to do is serve it up when you get in. If it seems a tad thick just add some more boiling water it all depends on the type of potato.

Bacon Leek and Potato Soup

1 tablespoon cooking oil
    I large onion finely chopped
    8 oz bacon pieces
    Four large peeled and diced potatoes
    2 large sliced and washed leeks
    3 heaped tablespoons tomato puree
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    Half teaspoon salt
    A real good grinding of black pepper
    Aprox two pints boiling water water
    2 ch***en oxo's

Heat oil in large pan and sweat the onions until soft and clear but not brown
    Add bacon pieces and cook for a few minutes
    add potatoes, leeks, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes,crumbled oxo cubes and seasoning.
    Stir around for a few minutes until well mixed then carefully add the boiling water.
    Simmer until the potatoes and leeks are cooked
    Enough for six servings
    Serve as is or with fresh baked bread and cheese.
      Img_9911xx.jpg