• CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 7:03pm (Mar 1st 2010)

Nice one NN this Sunday we have a double header game in Bexhill on Sea so i will prepare this on Sunday morning ready for when we get back.I see you have some fresh baked bread there i will do that to we love home made soup and bread with real butter.The chili was a big success i will be doing that again I am just about to eat the last of it tonight and there is only a quarter of the date and walnut cake left!!!!!!!!!!!! it a full time job this cooking game!!!What can i cook for this weekend then NN ?
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 7:15pm (Mar 1st 2010)

Well I am going to do the Dorset apple cake and Eccles cakes for you. I usually buy a double pack of frozen puff pastry so we will have half of it over so lets do something savoury with that.... How about some individual sausage bacon and mushroom pasties?

I am so pleased you liked the chilli we like it also and it does freeze well so is one of those meals you can do and freeze in advance.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 7:50pm (Mar 1st 2010)

Oh that was the last of the chili its even better second time round i can,t believe i made it!!!!!
    And yes lets go for the Dorset,Eccles,and sausage bacon and mushroom pasties :drool5::drool5:
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 8:02pm (Mar 1st 2010) edited

Yes I think it improves with keeping Lee. Ok I will make something tomorrow so I can jot down what I do, I find it easier that way then I dont leave anything out !!! Grandad North is eating his soup now and says he might take some to work to heat in their microwave for lunch.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 8:56pm (Mar 1st 2010)

I do drink G&T your right to temember its my favourite drink, but I only drink it when I'm out really - don't really drink if I'm at home unless we have freinds round for dinner.
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2010 1:08pm (Mar 2nd 2010) edited

Dorset Apple Cake

This a good way of using up eating apples that have been left in the fruit bowl and need using up.
    I lb of apples
    2oz margarine
    3oz sugar
    2 beaten eggs
    4 oz self-raising flour
    Pinch of salt

Grease and line a seven inch cake tin and set oven to 180c
    Peel, core and neatly dice the apples apart from one which can be sliced to decorate the top (see picture)
    Cream margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy (this means beating it to get air into it Lee)
    Gradually beat in the eggs adding a spoon full of the sifted salt and flour mix if it curdles.
    Fold in the remaining flour. Then stir in the diced apples.
    Put into the prepared tin smoothing the top place the apple slices around and sprinkle the top with sugar.
    Bake for 35-40 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool before removing from the tin.

This is best eaten warm on the same day as making with a nice squirt of cream.
      getting ready.jpg
      sprinkle sugar.jpg
      da da.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2010 5:41pm (Mar 2nd 2010)

Thank you again NN for all the detailed recipes you give they are a great help to me to compare with what i am doing i will do this cake on Saturday xx :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2010 7:18pm (Mar 2nd 2010)

No probs Lee glad to be of help..... Now this cake isn't a very big one and will be nice and moist with the apples inside so eat it warm as it doesn't keep very well. With five of you it should be gone in one sitting !!! I only mention this as I dont want you to worry thinking that it has sunk, but it is easy and very yummy. Watch that oven door and don't open for until at least twenty minutes !!!!! As you can see you only need a shallow tin.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2010 9:00pm (Mar 2nd 2010)

Excellent I was only looking at soe apples in the fruit bowl whilst I was eating dinner. I feel some custard coming on as well.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 4:47am (Mar 3rd 2010)

Yummo NN, nice photos there with your recipes, I feel a soup 'attack'coming on.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 7:40pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

I have got my haricot beans and some black eyed beans Julie. They are soaking at this very minute. I went to two supermarkets and couldn't get any others so hope they will go together alright.

Tracy and CC, I have the ch**ken and choritzo casserole in the slow cooker it is all done except for the beans I got a tin of borlotti beans and a tin of red kidney beans, which I will add tomorrow when I reheat it. I will skim the fat from the top when it is cold. I used both recipes and it smells divine thank you for the recipes.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 7:56pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

I tell you what NN this cooking game is addictive i went to one of my garages today and he offerd me a slice of almond cake that he had made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was so moist :drool5:
    Then when my son scott came in he had cooked some Muffins at school!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drool5:
    I cannot belive all this homemade food at the the momment its great!!!!!!!!!!!!!:great:
      DSCF3944 (648 x 486).jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 8:06pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

Scotts muffins look lovely Lee, you will have to ask him for the recipe for us. I think more people are turning to doing their own cooking nowadays. You know it is all good stuff with no added nasties. Tracy and CC's ch**ken and choritzo recipe smells divine Lee.
    Grandad North and I have been testing something new today and they taste lovely but we want to perfect the recipe before passing it on so it is a case of watch this space Ha ha !!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2010 7:30am (Mar 4th 2010)

Cant wait NN :cool:
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2010 5:09pm (Mar 4th 2010) edited

SAUSAGE, BACON AND MUSHROOM PASTIES

1 tablespoon of oil
    1 onion peeled and finely chopped
    4 rashers bacon or bacon pieces cut into neat bits
    8 pork sausages of your choice
    4 oz mushrooms cut chunky
    1 tablespoon mixed herbs use less if you are using herby sausages
    I x 500g slab puff pastry
    Salt and pepper

Ok here we go.....
    Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat add onion and bacon then cook till onion is tender.
    Meanwhile skin the sausages with a sharp knife...... Slice right down length of sausage and peel off skin.
    Add sausages to pan and break them up with the wooden spoon to bite sized bits,
    It don't matter if they crumble up a bit, cook for five minutes
    Next add mushrooms and cook for a further four minutes.
    Add the herbs and salt and pepper..... Go easy on the salt especially if you used smoked bacon.
    Leave to cool right down.

Preheat your oven to 200c and grease flat baking trays
    I use those re-usableTeflon baking sheets in case you wondered what they were in the picture.
    Cut pastry into six pieces and on a lightly floured surface roll into a rectangle aprox 7 x 6 inches
    Hint......I always flour my rolling pin and redo the surface as needed.
    Use light pressure on the rolling pin Lee, you will spoil the pastry if you are to heavy handed.
    Divide the sausage mixture between the rectangles and lightly dampen the edges.
    Fold the rectangles in half and press the sides down to seal the meat in.
    Pinch a nice decorative edge round the three edges to further seal them.
    Place on baking sheets and brush the tops with beaten egg
    Bake for 20-25 minutes on middle shelf in oven or until nice and golden brown
    Serve with chips and beans or with a salad or eat as is !!!
    These will freeze well and can be reheated. They are also ideal for picnics and packed lunch box
    Enjoy
      pasties.jpg
      pastie and salad.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2010 5:36pm (Mar 4th 2010) edited

Oh Lee I meant to mention that if you look in the bacon section of your super market you might be able to buy a pack of bacon off cuts, they are ideal for both the soup and the pasties. Asda does it and they are good with not much fat in them and so much cheaper.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2010 6:22pm (Mar 4th 2010)

I love the fancy salad arrangement.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2010 6:54pm (Mar 4th 2010)

Oh NN i am going to be busy this weekend again with this cooking i have to do it looks mouth watering NN.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2010 7:40pm (Mar 4th 2010) edited

CC and Tracy we had you Ch**ken and Choritzo dish tonight, and it was superb. We really enjoyed it and Grandad North said we are definately having this again. I made a huge pot full so can freeze the rest for another day. I combined both your recipes. I had mine with rice and Grandad North had his with bulgar wheat with mushrooms. Thank you both for sharing the recipe.
      chn and choritzo.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2010 12:36pm (Mar 5th 2010) edited

ECCLES CAKES

I slab puff pastry

For the filling you will need

2oz butter...... I used spreadable but use a hard block like anchor or similar for a real buttery taste,
    2 tablespoon sugar........ either white or soft brown what ever your preference
    6 oz mixed dried fruit
    2 oz mixed peel
    Half a teaspoon mixed spice
    Half a teaspoon ground nutmeg

Here is what you do;-

Set your oven to 200c and line or grease your baking trays

Put the sugar, butter, mixed spice and nutmeg into a bowl and cream together until soft.
    Now add the dried fruit and peel and stir until nicely coated with butter mix.

Next flour your working surface and rolling pin Cut your block of puff pastry in to sixteen equal pieces
    Roll each piece to roughly 4 x 4 inches
    Lay them out and share filling between them

Now bring the corners to the middle of each piece
    then the corners that are left into the middle nipping them in to seal ... See photo

With this side uppermost roll into a flat cake.
    Turn cake over the fruit should be showing through

Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar
    Bake for aprox 20 minutes or until golden brown
      stages.jpg
      with a coffee.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2010 12:40pm (Mar 5th 2010)

There you go Lee that should keep you busy.

I have got your crock pot beans on the go Julie they smell divine already. They still got six hours to go as yet...can't wait to try them.
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2010 1:30pm (Mar 5th 2010)

NN. Do you like to butter your Eccles cakes?
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2010 5:35pm (Mar 5th 2010)

Thank you NN I am going to be busy this weekend i am going out with my daughter in the morning in the TR7 if the Sun is shinning which i think it will be she is taking me to a sweet shop in Steyning village ware they sell all the old types of sweets!!!!!!! then we will visit my mum get all the ingredients together and come back and do some cooking.
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2010 8:03pm (Mar 5th 2010)

No Ollie I have never heard of that do you have butter on yours then ?

You are going to be busy over the weekend Lee. Have fun.
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2010 6:33am (Mar 6th 2010)

NN you have found your calling, you could have a whole website for your recipes, they are so descriptive and the pics are wonderful. I am going to try the pasties.
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2010 8:23pm (Mar 6th 2010) edited

Well NN i have had a lovely day with my Daughter out and about in the TR7
    and when we got back we did some cooking and Baking and this is what we made ...
      13092009444 (512 x 384).jpg
      06032010651 (512 x 384).jpg
      06032010652 (512 x 384).jpg
      06032010657 (512 x 384).jpg
      06032010656 (512 x 384).jpg
      06032010653 (512 x 384).jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2010 8:27pm (Mar 6th 2010) edited

Thats real nice Lee and so nice to have some prime time with each child individually. I wondered if you were out and about as it was a nice day here a bit damp to start with but got nicer as the day passed.

Well done on the baking it all looks lovely did it taste as nice as it looks ???

I made an blackberry and apple pie and a cheese and tomato quiche for their snap..... umm I mean packed lunches
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2010 9:26pm (Mar 6th 2010)

Those Eccles cakes look really, really yummy.
    Not allowed for me though but can enjoy them in my imagination...
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2010 2:18pm (Mar 7th 2010)

Well ollie they are very nice and my favorite cake.What a shame you can,t eat them:cry:

Well NN we got back from Max,s football a hour ago and tucked into the soup!! it was perfect in every way would not change anything big hit with the family. Thank you.

The Eccles cakes are very nice but next time i need to make them bigger and with more filling in and i let them cook just a tad to long!!!!!!i am learning though.
    I also made some liver pate this morning before we went to football!!! I will let you no what it is like really easy to make.

I think i will make the apple cake this afternoon.
    One thing i will say NN making your own stuff takes time with me working full time Sara working part time and looking after 3 children we just would not have time in the week to do anything much at all only the week ends
    But boy it is worth it for the taste and flavors you get from home cooked food. :sun:
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2010 6:31pm (Mar 7th 2010)

Glad you enjoyed the soup Lee, it is such an easy thing to make and always tastes nice. I dont always put the bacon in and it still comes out nice and tasty. How did the football go ??

That is half the learning curve Lee knowing what you would do the next time and not be frightened to change something. You are doing real well. Yes it does take time but the food is totally different when you make it yourself, I think you enjoy it more. My kids used to say, "it is cos you make it with love Ma." which I think is such a nice way to think of it.

You will have to post your Liver Pate recipe Lee. I used to make it many moons ago. But have forgotten all about it until you mentioned it.
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2010 6:34pm (Mar 7th 2010)

We had some of the crock pot beans tonight Julie and they are well yummy. I will make them again thats for sure. We all enjoyed them. I have loads left do they freeze well ?? Thank you for sharing your recipe.
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2010 4:02am (Mar 8th 2010)

So glad you enjoyed that NN, yes easy peasy to freezy! Nothing like a nice home cooked meal yummy.
    Well done Lee you are going great there buddy!
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2010 3:31pm (Mar 8th 2010)

I got the beans frozen today Julie and found a big bag of home grown raspberries while poking about in the freezer.. I soon had them out and made some raspberry jam up it sets so quickly. We all love it and were down to the last pot so that was a good job done and dusted!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2010 4:22pm (Mar 9th 2010)

Ok Ch--ken liver Pate A quick and simple way to make it you can use you can use Duck or pheasant livers the plastic tub you see the pate in held the livers that i got from the butchers as a guide i used one rasher of bacon to two livers.

Ingredients
    Livers
    Bacon
    Small bag of Pistachio nuts(shelled)
    Mixed herbs
    Black pepper
    Cooking oil
    Butter

Method
    Chop Bacon into strips about 2-3cm wide and fry off until just cooked-set aside
    cut livers into pieces about 1cm wide fry in a little oil until cooked through set aside with the bacon.
    Add a pinch of mixed herbs and some black pepper.
    Place the above ingredients into a blender and blend them to a consistency that suits you.
    Remove the ingredients into a small bowl.
    After removing the pistachios from there shells place them in the blender and chop them into small pieces add them to the meat.
    Combine all the ingredients together and mix until even.
    place pate into a small tub and seal with melted butter and allow to cool.
    Enjoy on warm toast!!!!!!!
      07032010671.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2010 7:16pm (Mar 9th 2010)

That looks real nice Lee. I will have to have a go at it for sure.
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2010 7:28pm (Mar 9th 2010)

Lemon Cheese cake for the weekend Lee ?
      lemon cheesecake.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2010 7:32pm (Mar 9th 2010)

You no me NN anything with Lemon in and i am your Man!!!!!!!!!:rainbow:
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2010 10:19pm (Mar 9th 2010)

Ah a cake recipe in the offing - now you're talking my language!
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 7:37pm (Mar 10th 2010)

Come on Kate you must have a favourite recipe to share with us all.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 9:56pm (Mar 10th 2010)

No, I don't really like food. I occasionally make cakes but nothing people don't already know. I'm more akin to CC's form of cooking - buy it readymade!
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 10:30am (Mar 11th 2010)

I am buying ingredients tomorrow for the pasties NN, sounds yummy.:biggrin:
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 5:46pm (Mar 11th 2010)

Ginsters would be quicker...:)
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 7:55pm (Mar 11th 2010)

I will put the cheese cake recipe up tomorrow I am to tired tonight.
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 8:17pm (Mar 11th 2010)

I meant to ask you yesterday Ollie how did the sour dough work out ?
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 8:29pm (Mar 11th 2010) edited

Oh the poor sour dough starter stuff stopped fermenting, so I made another batch and that "died" after three days of wonderful foam. I had taken photos of both but still struggling to get them from phone onto pooter and then onto here.
    Read that I could have revived my starter with another feed and tried that but it just sits there!
    Wondering if it is the chlorine in the water, one recipe used pineapple juice to get over this.
    Setting up a fresh batch along side the old, this time using water I have left standing to allow chlorine to come off - though it may not be so simple, depends on how our water supplier uses his chlorine!
    Will also invest in some pine apple juice when shopping tomorrow.
    Next installment will be on your screens in due course...
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 8:36pm (Mar 11th 2010)

well done for persevering Ollie. I have never made it, but an interested as Grandad North loves it.

I did used to have a friendship cake brew, but had to let it die in the end cos we were not eating the cake quick enough and every body got fed up with me asking if they would like some !!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 8:59pm (Mar 11th 2010)

I put a cake recipe on here this afternoon but seems someone ate it - it's gone!

Throw into mixer -
    6oz (175g) soft margarine
    6oz (175g) castor sugar
    5oz (150g) self raising flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 drops vanilla essence
    3 tablespoons milk
    3 eggs
    1 and 1/2oz (40g) cocoa powder - I use carob pwder it gives a creamier taste and is OK for those allergic to cocoa/chocolate.

Buzz the mixer till just mixed and no more.
    Pour into a lined "7" microwave dish.
    Zap for 8 and 1/2 minutes.
    Let cool before stuffing with butter cream and gobbling...
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 3:39pm (Mar 12th 2010) edited

That sounds real nice Ollie and a good quick one if you are in a hurry. I will try it next week.
    I make a nice syrup pudding in the microwave it is similar to the old fashioned one using suet, it only takes four minutes in the microwave. If any one wants the recipe let me know and I will post it.

I have had a couple of posts that have disapeared as well Ollie goodness know where they go
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 3:44pm (Mar 12th 2010) edited

LEMON CHEESECAKE

9 digestive biscuits
    50 gm hard butter or margarine
    2 lemons
    300 gm tub Philadelphia cheese
    45 gm sugar
    125 ml double cream
    Half a sachet unflavoured gelatin aprox 6 gms

Grease the base and sides of a spring form tin or use a tin that the bottom pushes out. Line tin with cling film folding neatly over edge.
    If you have neither use an ordinary tin, but line it with tin foil leaving a good bit all round to get hold of when you lift cheese cake out.

Break up your digestive biscuits into a bag and crush them with a rolling pin until there are no lumps.
    Melt butter in a pan and add the crushed biscuits mix well till all combined.
    Tip biscuit mixture into your prepared tin and press it down firmly with the back of a metal spoon, now put into fridge to harden.

Boil some water in a small pan and remove from the heat. Put three tablespoons of the water into a a cup and add the gelatin.
    Now place the cup into the pan of hot water you only need enough water in the pan to come about half of the way up the cup so you don't get any more water into the cup. Mix gelatin and water until the crystals have dissolved and the liquid is clear. Take cup out of hot water and leave to cool to room temperature.

Grate skin of lemons set aside half for decoration You will only need the juice from one and a half of the lemons
    Put Philadelphia, Sugar, lemon rind and juice into a bowl and mix well.
    Whip cream and fold into mixture.
    At this point have a little taste to see if it is neither to sweet or to tart then if required add a bit more sugar or lemon juice.
    When satisfied with taste add the cooled gelatin and mix in well.
    Take your crumb mixture from fride and add the cheese cake mixture smooth the top and add the reserved lemon rind for decoration.
    Return to the fridge to set.

When the cheese cake is set remove from the tin. carefully peel away the cling film and foil, and place onto a serving plate.

You can leave out the lemon juice for a plain cheesecake then decorate the top with fruits of your choice
    OR my favourite leave out the lemon juice add two generous tablespoons of Baileys Irish cream or Tia Maria it is really scrummy
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 3:48pm (Mar 12th 2010) edited

Pictures
      prep.jpg
      cheesecake.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 6:06pm (Mar 12th 2010)

Leave out the Lemon Juice NN you have got to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 6:11pm (Mar 12th 2010)

I Wont get any cooking done this weekend NN me and Sara have to do a tip run in the morning like you do!!!!!!!! and then i am of to Southampton with my mate to see Southampton V Leeds so thats Saturday done Sunday (apart from being mothers day)My sons football match kick off at 10am to get back for the Grand Prix for 12ish thats the weekend NN!!!!!!!:arf::aww:
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 6:57pm (Mar 12th 2010)

No probs Lee you don't have to cook just to please me you got a life and family to run.
    When you are ready though!!! I got a superb Lamb curry with spiced lentils for you to try. No jars, you have to grind all your own spices but it is well worth it and one you will want to cook again.
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 7:12pm (Mar 12th 2010)

NN that sounds Heavenly next weekend i definitely want that one for Saturday evening and to follow your Lemon cheese cake :drool5:
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 7:15pm (Mar 12th 2010) edited

No probs I will post it up next week for you I made one for our meal tonight and I am mega seriously stuffed to the gills. Would you like a preview picture ? he he
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 7:19pm (Mar 12th 2010)

Yes please NN!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 7:22pm (Mar 12th 2010)

Ha ha thought you might I did a serve it yourself night....
      serve yourself night.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 7:29pm (Mar 12th 2010)

That looks the business NN cant wait!!!!! the poppadoms look really good NN tell me about them!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 7:38pm (Mar 12th 2010)

Oh I buy them from the indian shop they are like thin hard flat biscuits and I deep fry them in real hot oil for ten seconds and they puff up like that you can only do one at a time thought as they are in and out so quick. This is a pepper type and is comes out bigger than the plain ones I did tonight
      pomp.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 8:03pm (Mar 12th 2010)

Me And Sara used to buy them before we had the kids i can remember they tasted pretty good but filled the kitchen up with smoke!!!!!!!!! worth it though.
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 8:04pm (Mar 12th 2010) edited

get your fat up to temperture then turn it off you should have time to wack through them before it cools down to much.
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 8:08pm (Mar 12th 2010)

Its so obvious when you put it like that NN!!!!!!!!!!! i have learnt so much since being on Hencam!!!!!!!!!!!:mdr:
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 8:17pm (Mar 12th 2010)

I think we all have Lee it is good to have so many friends willing to share with each other.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2010 9:36am (Mar 13th 2010)

What is happening? no writing just pics!!
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2010 10:16pm (Mar 13th 2010)

Ah here we are !!
    I have just copied your cheesescake recipe NN, one question, how much gelatin is in the pack, you said to use half but as we dont have that brand here I had best try to be be accurate.
    It sounds delicious. I alos want to try that lamb curry recipe nxt week too.

Now the really exciting bit I made your pasties last night for tea and imediately took pics then popped on her to discover someone had stolen all our posts, very weird indeed and to make it worse you and Lee were both on line at the time. I felt as if someone had cut off my hand.

So here I go with some pics.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2010 10:20pm (Mar 13th 2010) edited

Photobucket

Here is the first one (I added some peas and taties too).
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2010 10:23pm (Mar 13th 2010)

Photobucket

ready to pop in oven.

Then the finished product, I made bigger ones and used bought sheets of puff pastry as I always do but they were so yummy.

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2010 11:28pm (Mar 13th 2010)

The easiest way to do poppadums is to cover the grill pan in tin foil, get it really hot under the grill then stick the poppadums under the grill for a matter of seconds. No oil, no mess.
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2010 9:51pm (Mar 15th 2010)

Well Julie i wish my cooking looked like those pasties they look brill well done to you!!!:great:
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 8:21am (Mar 16th 2010)

Thanks Lee I am sure yours are very yummy too.
    This is fun isn't it! NN is a gem.

CC I also discovered I can cook the poppadums in the microwave, for those who have one it also makes it quick and easy, no cleaning up, I just lay them on a paper towel.
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 3:30pm (Mar 16th 2010)

Sorry I couldn't get into this thread before and it was just sooo annoying.

Julie your pasties look real scrummy and what a good idea to do big main meal sized ones. Did you sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds as well ?

Thankks for the input on the poppadoms CC and Julie. My son Dan always microwaves his, but I don't seem to have any luck with them unless I deep fry them, but will have to try again with both suggestions
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 3:44pm (Mar 16th 2010)

You will need aprox 6 grams of geletine Julie.
    Sorry I didn't make that very clear. I put packet in the recipe as well and showed the box so I hope that didn't confuse anyone as there were several sachets in the box. I have changed the recipe now, it is harder than you think writing a recipe so every one understands it when you are used to just doing it for yourself !!
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 3:50pm (Mar 16th 2010)

Oh I meant to say that I have have used one pack of the beans I froze Julie and they tasted a treat and didn't break up during reheating. We had them with some gammon steak, egg and chips. I can see I will definately be making some more as they are much nicer than the tinned backed beans.
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 7:25pm (Mar 16th 2010) edited

Lamb Curry and spicy lentils

6 black peppercorns
    1 tbsp cumin seeds
    Seeds from 8 cardamom pods

1 tbsp sunflower oil
    1 large onion, sliced
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    5 cm (2 in) piece fresh root ginger, finely chopped
    1 fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 tsp turmeric
    450 G (1 lb) lean boneless leg of lamb or neck fillet, trimmed of fat and cut into cubes
    600 ml (1 pint) hot lamb stock, I used two Lamb oxo cubes
    225 G (8 oz) red lentils
    1 tin chopped tomatoes

Juice of 1 lemon
    2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
    Salt and pepper

Preparation method
    1. Crush the peppercorns with the cumin and cardamom seeds in a pestle and mortar or an electric grinder. Set aside.
    2.Fry the onion gently for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and fry for a further 3 minutes, then add the crushed spices and the cinnamon stick and turmeric. Fry gently for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
    3. Add the lamb and stir to coat with the spices. Fry gently for about 4 minutes or until the meat is browned all over. Gradually pour in the stock, and tomatoes stirring well, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook gently for 15 minutes then put into warmed slow cooker/crock pot.
    4. Meanwhile, rinse and drain the lentils, then place them in a saucepan and cover with fresh cold water. Bring to the boil. Boil uncovered for 15 minutes. Add the lentils to the curry and cook for 2-3 hours until the lamb and lentils are tender. Just before serving stir in the lemon juice and fresh coriander and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with rice.

I make this the day before as it improves with keeping, then reheat in my wok adding the lemon juice and coriander just before serving,
      curry (Small) (Small).jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 7:33pm (Mar 16th 2010)

Thank you NN I was hoping you would put this up as i am having a cooking weekend this weekend with this and your Lemon cheese cake Max has a cup game on Sunday and my mum and Dad are coming down so i will impress them with this and when they say thats nice ware did you get the recipe i will say!!!!(From a Nanny in the North)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :thumbup:

:thumbup:
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 7:45pm (Mar 16th 2010)

Do you know Lee I wrote it out three times and twice I managed to loose it in the system somewhere. (I reckon they are hacking my recipes so sorry Neil must be my fault) This made about four good servings Lee so I would double it cos you are having company. Make it up on Saturday and it should be mega nice for Sunday to impress with. Plus you will be cool calm and collected with not having a load of cooking to do on the day. If you leave the seeds in your Chilli peppers the curry will be a bit hotter. You can make your cheese cake the day before as well, but hide it as it is soooo yummmmmmy.
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 9:20pm (Mar 16th 2010)

NN. I have developed the technique of doing a 'copy' thingy. I have lost a lot of posts as I often seem to click on "Back to Discussions" instead of "Add your comments".
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 6:36am (Mar 17th 2010)

NN I have copied the Cury recipe and as it's still abit hot here I will make it when the weather cools down a bit.
    Thanks for gelatin info, I think I will make that at weekend too.
    Yes I put sesame seeds on top we luv 'em.
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 3:15pm (Mar 17th 2010)

I think I double clicked while checking it all out Ollie, but I have done the back to discussions by mistake sometimes as well. I am no good doing it when I am very tired as I get muddled up and don't want to make a mistake.
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 3:19pm (Mar 17th 2010)

Julie I do a nice Persian Lamb that is not hot like a curry but is delicately spiced almost fragrant. Jay and I love it but Grandad North wont eat it cos it has yoghurt in it. If you fancy that instead just say.
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 3:26pm (Mar 17th 2010)

Lee I am putting up a nice crunchy cheese biscuits recipe that you might want to serve with a glass of wine for your parents as an appetiser before the meal. They would be nice with a coffee as well. They are sure to impress and are mega easy to make. The difficult part will be keeping them until Sunday as they are so more-ish. :thumbup1:
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 3:27pm (Mar 17th 2010)

Cheesy Biscuits

200 G plain flour
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Pinch salt
    150g hard butter or margarine
    75g mature cheddar cheese finely grated
    25 G parmesan cheese finely grated
    1 egg separated
    Poppy and sesame seeds

Sift together the flour, salt, mustard powder and cayenne pepper
    Rub the butter into the flour mix, then stir the cheeses.
    Mix 2 teaspoons of cold water into the egg yolk then stir into mixture until it forms clumps
    Now mix with hands and shape into a slab, wrap this in cling film and chill for 30 minutes

Set oven to 180c
    Roll out a third of the dough between 2 sheets of cling film to aprox 3mm thick
    ( by using cling film you eliminate the use of flour which will make the biscuits tough and they wont crisp up)
    Remove top sheet of film and cut into shapes with a cutter
    Lightly beat the egg white and brush the tops of the biscuits
    Brush them before you put them trays or they will seal themselves to the paper to tin
    Sprinkle poppy seeds on some, sesame seeds on others and leave some plain.
    Place on greaseproof paper lined baking sheets'
    Repeat with the rest of the dough reusing the trimmings each time.
    Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden then cool on a wire rack.

These will store in a airtight container but get eaten very quickly in our house !!!!
      cheese biscuits.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 3:34pm (Mar 17th 2010) edited

recipe should make aprox 60, if you don't have little cutters cut dough into 1 inch strips and cut diagonaly across to make diamonds or straight across to make squares.
      cut out.jpg
      drinkie.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 6:22pm (Mar 17th 2010)

Blimey NN you are amazing!! these look great i cant wait till Saturday for all this cooking!!
    Its 6.20pm now and at 6.45pm i am off to watch the Brighton reserves play Huddersfield town!! with my daughter and Son Max and my mate and his son.
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 6:58pm (Mar 17th 2010)

Have a good time at the football Lee.
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2010 3:54am (Mar 18th 2010)

oh yes yes NN this all looks so yummy, I can't believe you are all the way across the other side of the world and yet I love this type of food, we must have similar tastes, would love the Persian curry too as we love all types of curry hot or cool and I am going to try the biscuits too, love a nice cheese biscuit!!!

Your presentation is excellent, just the sort of thing I used to do. We once had dinner parties all the time, not now though.
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2010 7:29pm (Mar 18th 2010)

I will post the Persian one next week Julie, Have you got anything different I can try please ??
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2010 5:20am (Mar 20th 2010) edited

We love vegie based things so enjoy this type of dish, I cook much by instinct so quantities are often approximate.
    Please ask if you need to substitute anything and I will see if I can help. If you aren't keen on this sort of dish let me know.
    I sometimes substitute creme fraiche with plain yoghurt.

Broccoli and Cauliflower Cannelloni

Ingredients:
    Cannelloni tubes
    Broccoli about 1 decent sized head
    Cauliflower about ½ to a ¼ large one
    Oil
    4/5 cloves garlic
    1 tin anchovies drained and pat dry
    3 or 4 small dried chillies chopped
    sprinkle fresh lemon thyme or fresh or dried lemon zest
    tomato pasetta 1 jar (tomato puree in a tall jar)
    fresh basil
    crème fraiche
    fresh grated parmesan
    mozzarella cheese

Cook broccoli and cauli and mash with fried garlic, anchovies, chillies, thyme.
    In a square dish place 1 cm of tomato pasetta to which has been added 1 tab oil, pinch salt and a slurp of red wine vinegar.
    Pipe filling into cannelloni tubes and place in dish.
    Place a layer of basil leaves in top.
    Then a layer of crème fraiche to which has been added plenty of fresh grated parmesan.
    Top with more parmesan and a few pieces of mozzarella.
    Bake for 30 mins till golden.
    Serve with a pear and rocket salad drizzled with macadamia or olive oil.
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2010 2:53pm (Mar 20th 2010) edited

This cooking game is hard work i think i need some Brunch and a drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just the Lemon cheese cake to go i forgot the digestives!!
      DSCF3966 (648 x 486).jpg
      DSCF3954 (648 x 486).jpg
      DSCF3963 (648 x 486).jpg
      DSCF3965 (648 x 486).jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2010 2:58pm (Mar 20th 2010)

Oh My helper was in again!!!!!!:bigsmile:
      DSCF3957 (648 x 486).jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2010 3:01pm (Mar 20th 2010) edited

You No What the hardest part of all this cooking is going shoping for all the bits!!!! the cooking is easy compared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and no poppie seeds in our Masive Tesco!!
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2010 5:00pm (Mar 20th 2010)

I've struggled with this "starter" culture for my sourdough bread.
    It comes up lovely frothy and smelly but at fourth day just sits there, nothing I do gets it going again. The sites I have visited talk about - a week - a month - etc.,
    Anyway I plunged on Friday and got some bread going.
    But mucked it all up.
    I had loads on my mind and didn't follow the recipe properly, you could say I didn't follow it at all!
    Mixed it in the bread machine so in goes the starter, then a bit of extra water, flour and a bit of salt. I don't use much salt.
    As it was mixing nicely and dough was in good condition I realised - no sugar - surely it needs sugar?
    The recipe didn't include it but did metion it in the mixing part. So I threw in a small spoonful.
    Left it to rise and before going out at 3.00 set it into tin for second rise.
    Came home at 10.00pm to find it hadn't risen much but baked it anyway.
    Interestingly my recipe said not to preheat oven.
    It came out rather solid, possibly to be expected but edible. Not that I know what sourdough should be like. It has an odd taste, not unpleasant, just different.
    I'll have another go next weekend when I can give it more attention.
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2010 5:27pm (Mar 20th 2010)

Ollie I had not heard of sour bread until i came here!!!!!!:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2010 11:31pm (Mar 20th 2010)

:biggrin:well done Lee what a great job you are doing.

Ollie that is quite a sour dough sage, love the chatty step by step description.:biggrin:
    • CommentTimeMar 21st, 2010 9:26am (Mar 21st 2010)

Thank you Julie I am enjoying it but it is hard work when you are an Amateur like me!!!
    Here is my Lemon cheese Cake this went a bit wrong (i think i was a bit tired at this stage and had a few glasses of wine:drunk:)I did not get a big enough tub of Philadelphia and i forgot to put the Gelatin in so we will wait to see what its like!!When i was mixing it in the bowl it tasted fantastic!!!!:drool5:
      DSCF3967 (648 x 486).jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2010 8:16pm (Mar 30th 2010)

How did your meal go Lee I hope it was succesful it all looks lovely.
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd, 2010 7:37pm (Apr 2nd 2010)

Well NN it all went very well i just put way to much Lemon peel on top of the cake as you can see it was a bit strong to say the least!!!!!!!!!
      get-well-soom-236708425 (500 x 500).jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 1:32am (Apr 9th 2010)

well done with every thing Lee, at least you wont make the same mistake next time.
    • CommentTimeApr 13th, 2010 6:25am (Apr 13th 2010)

NN I cooked the lovley bacon, leek and potato soup at the weekend, so delicious. I did add a tiny bit of chilli as we love a bit of heat here, a really tasty brew. Thanks.
    • CommentTimeApr 13th, 2010 7:26pm (Apr 13th 2010)

So glad you enpyed it Julie, I often change it according to what I have to use up? It is nice using chicken stock and adding left over cooked ch***en. I haven't forgotten about the persian lamb recipe and will post it up soon.