• CommentTimeApr 17th, 2010 6:54pm (Apr 17th 2010)

CARROT AND CORIANDER SOUP
    Ingredients
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 large onion
    450g/1lb carrots,
    2 medium potatoes
    1 heaped teaspoon ground coriander
    2 pints water
    three vegetable oxo cubes
    Large bunch fresh coriander,
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Juice of one large orange (optional)
      Img_074prep.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2010 7:06pm (Apr 17th 2010) edited

Method
    Chop onions into small pieces( I used three small ones). Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions sweat gently over a low heat
    Peel your carrots and potatoes and cut them up into small pieces and add them to the onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes until they start to soften.
    Stir in the ground coriander and season well. Cook for 1 minute. Make the vegetable stock with water and oxo cubes then add to the vegetables and bring to the boil. Simmer until the vegetables are tender.
    Whizz with blender adding the orange juice and fresh coriander. adding in the orange juice and the fresh coriander. Reheat in a clean pan then serve.
      souper.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2010 7:11pm (Apr 17th 2010)

Oh NN Carrot and coriander is the best ever i can,t wait to do this one!!!!!!!!!:drool5:
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2010 7:16pm (Apr 17th 2010)

Cripes Lee your nose for the recipe sure hasn't let you down I have only just posted it Ha ha
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2010 7:20pm (Apr 17th 2010) edited

NN i adore Coriander!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i can smell and taste that for miles!!!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2010 8:14pm (Apr 17th 2010)

CARROT AND CORIANDER SOUP RECIPE.
    Method: Go down Waitrose and buy some. No mess, no cut fingers, no bad language. And if you eat it straight out of the saucepan, minimal washing up...:tooth:
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 7:11pm (Apr 18th 2010)

My sourdough bread goes form heavy to heavy. At least I am consistent. It is edible though. Well I eat it and find it quite pleasant.
    Started to use bottled mineral water to get awway from chlorination in the tap stuff that doesn't go away despite being kept out for days. It hasn't changed anything though....
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 7:28pm (Apr 18th 2010)

I have never made it Ollie so can not help you with it so sorry about that. I do have a recipe for a four day one somewhere that I can look up for you if you would like me to ??
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 7:32pm (Apr 18th 2010)

• CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 8:10pm (Apr 18th 2010)

The four day recipe sounds as if it would be worth having a go at, NN. Thanks.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 8:42pm (Apr 18th 2010)

SOUR DOUGH STARTER

4 potatoes, peeled
    1L (1 3/4 pints) water
    100g (4 oz) plain flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons caster sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Preparation method
    1. Combine potatoes and water in a small stockpot or medium saucepan. Cover and boil until potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes. Drain cooking liquid into a large glass measuring jug. Reserve potatoes for another use.
    2. Transfer 275ml (10 fl oz) of potato liquid to large ceramic or glass bowl. Add flour, sugar and salt to bowl; stir to combine. Cover bowl with muslin or cheesecloth and let stand at room temperature until starter begins to ferment and bubble, about 4 days. Starter is now ready to use.

Storage and feeding of starter:

Transfer to covered plastic container and store in refrigerator. Feed starter every 2 weeks. Begin each feeding by discarding all but 225ml. Mix 125g flour and 225ml warm water (45 C) into remaining mixture. Cover with cling film; let stand at room temperature overnight. Replace lid; return to refrigerator.
    Ingredients

175ml (6 fl oz) warm water (45 C)
    250g (9 oz) sourdough starter
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    375g (13 oz) bread flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried active baking yeast

Preparation method
    1. Place all ingredients in the pan of your bread machine in order suggested by the manufacturer. Select white bread setting and push start.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 8:44pm (Apr 18th 2010)

Here you go Ollie I don't know if this is of any use. Tell me what you think and then I will have a go as well and we can compare notes.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 9:08pm (Apr 18th 2010)

SOUR DOUGH I don,t even know what it tastes like!!!!!!!!!!!!! perhaps i should try it!!!
    I will try anything once:he:
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 9:09pm (Apr 18th 2010)

If it is any thing to do with NN it will be very tasty :drool5::drool5:
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 9:20pm (Apr 18th 2010)

oh that would be good fun Lee a three way test. It is like ciabatta italian bread. Grandad North Loves it I can not eat it now a days unfortuantly.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 9:40pm (Apr 18th 2010)

That 4 day looks interesting. Similar to what I do but not with potato water or the salt or sugar.
    I have kept my starter in the fridge at times as I find I can't keep it going otherwise, despite the books saying it is almost impossible to kill.
    I don't cover it so closely though, just a paper towel or one of those beaded nets that go over the summer milk jug.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 9:48pm (Apr 18th 2010)

I got a lot to do tomorrow but will try to have a go at it if not tomorrow then tuesday.
    • CommentTimeApr 19th, 2010 4:04pm (Apr 19th 2010)

Posted By: nanny northSorry CC if you find the recipes boring. Believe it or not some of us do like to make things ourselves and at least we know what's in home cooked food additive wise.

I don't find them boring; I admire anyone who has the time and perseverance to do cooking instead of piano practice! :) Soory if I offended anyone, I'll keep me big nose out.
    • CommentTimeApr 19th, 2010 5:45pm (Apr 19th 2010)

No one is offended CC and we do need your nose in there to keep us amused. I havent got the luxury of a piano any more so spos I got to cook and do other stuff. No one cared for my playing anyhow and that includes me ha ha