• CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 6:23pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

I have decided i want a budgie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what do you think and has any one got any!!:smile:
      Custom_2_Budgies_2.jpg
      CommentAuthorTori
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 6:31pm (Feb 23rd 2010) edited

awh cuteness :L hi hmm my grandma used to have a budgie when I was about 3. It was never tame or anything and my mums grandma had one yyyeeeaarrssss ago and it could say its address and its name and stuffs :atpeace::biggrin:
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 7:12pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

I love budgies I used to have one years and years ago. It was so tame and would be with me all the time on my head or shoulder. I was heart borken when it finally turned its toes up. Funny Thing is. I was talking to some in the pet shop today.....talk to any thing me:smileyhappy:
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 7:27pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

I am just the same NN I will talk to any one!!thats what makes life so interesting.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 7:34pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

Yes it sure does.... with me wives dont always like it though ha ha Dont worry just me being silly
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 10:00pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

Now in Oz I understand they have flocks of budgies flying around, like we have pidgeons only a lot prettier.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 10:09pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

My MIL had a budgie but it was evil! If it got out of the cage it would attack whoever was closest!
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 11:25pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

We have a budgie named Cleo, Lee she arrived unexpectedly on our doorstep last June, flew smack bang into our window, she was quite young and after some recovery time she is fine, cheeky and easy to look after.
    We had a budgie boy years back and he lived to be 10. We like to let them out of the cage for a fly and a play. We like her to have lots of stimulation and for them to learn to feel safe around us.

Here is the list from the vet of safe and non safe foods.
    She loves millet seeds on the stick which we peg inside the cage and they perform acrobatics picking all the seeds off. They are very entertaining and I have heard the boys are easier to teach to talk. It does require some patience at the start to get them tame enough to sit on finger etc.

SAFE

Carrot tops
    Sprouts, from peas beans
    Apple
    Broccoli
    Dark leafy greens (avoid iceberg lettuce)
    Parsley
    Basil
    Grasses
    Milk thistle

NO TO THESE
    Coffee
    Choc
    Alcohol
    Avocado
    Apple seeds, any fruit seeds really
    Onion
    Asparagus
    Cabbage
    Eggplant
    Rhubarb (all)
    Dairy
    Raw spud
    Crisps and junk food
    Strawberries (inclined to retain pesticides) or any highly perishable food
    Cereal containing zinc
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 11:29pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

Here she is and is about one year old now. They do like variety so they dont get bored.

Cleo the budgie
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 11:34pm (Feb 23rd 2010) edited

We also changed the perches to sticks of varying thickness so as it exercises their little feet.
    They love variety too so they dont get bored.:elvis:
    Just up the road form us is a huge row of trees where wild budgies live. When I used to walk that way you could here them all chattering, it was so funny.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 11:36pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

She's lovely. I had one but the cat got it.

Mum had a minor bird, talked REAL, not like budgies and parrots. You have lots of those in the wild too, I believe.
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2010 11:46am (Feb 24th 2010)

I used to have a budgie that lived at my G'ma's because of mum's allergies.

He was called Blayne and was a right little sod! Spent all my time trying to tame him and teach him to talk, and all he ever did was attack me! But he was lovely with it bless him, haha! And he was very interesting to watch and we used to let him fly around the room and he would cause havoc...I liked him :001_smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2010 4:11pm (Feb 24th 2010) edited

Posted By: Red we used to let him fly around the room and he would cause havoc...I liked him!

Kindred spirit, that's why! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2010 8:09pm (Feb 24th 2010)

Years ago My Mum took in a minor bird. No one wanted it and its owner had died, It wouldn't eat as it missed the old chap any how she nursed the bird back to health and got it eating normally. My Brother was in the Navy then and when he came home on leave the bird hadn't met him before him and started ranting at him swearing like a trooper. What a shock that was we didn't even know it could talk let alone swear. Mum had it for a few years before it died but used to put a cover over its cage if any one came to visit so it didnt rant and swear at them !!! You dont seem to see them nowadays.