• CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 8:37pm (Apr 16th 2010)

Don't worry about it you have a real good sense of humour and common sense and thats the main thing.
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 8:42pm (Apr 16th 2010)

Oh Yes NN and my sense of humor sometimes gets me into trouble!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 8:43pm (Apr 16th 2010)

Yes I know all about that and have to be careful myself as I laugh at most things.
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 8:46pm (Apr 16th 2010)

Grandad North and Jay have gone to Sutton Scarsdale Manor to see what pictures of the sunset they can get. They found volcanic dust in Sheffield today so hopefully they have got some good pictures.
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 8:54pm (Apr 16th 2010)

Brilliant NN i hope they get some nice pictures when i am out and about in Sussex i try and remember to take pictures of all sorts of things!!things that you may never see again I don,t no if you know but we are having a new football stadium built at the moment For Brighton and hove Albion and it is coming along really well there is another year to go yet it is being built next to the main A27 road and i was in a traffic jam on the A27 the other day right opposite the stadium so i thought i will take some pictures from my van window because i will never be in this position again!!! thats what i like!!
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 9:01pm (Apr 16th 2010)

That was real good Lee. I also like to have my camera to hand and often get some good shots from the car of things that you wouldn't always get to see again.
    They have just come in, apparently Jay suddenly thought of going to Pleasley Colliery instead so it will be interesting to see what they get. I could have gone with them but was busy in the garden today so am very tired. I will be off to bed shortly.
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 9:07pm (Apr 16th 2010) edited

Got to get your rest NN don,t want you going ill on us again!!
    I have a day in the garden tomorrow with my Dad the next part of my Ex Bats new home!The Extension to the existing Run I will of course take pictures and show you my progress.
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 9:11pm (Apr 16th 2010)

Well Grandad North got some good pictures he said I can post a couple for you Lee. Jay has to get up early for work tomorrow so wont see his oictures til the afternoon.

Yes I would be more than interested to see how it is all comming along.
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 9:13pm (Apr 16th 2010)

That would be great NN can,t wait thank you.:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 9:23pm (Apr 16th 2010)

He is one off his little camera I will do one from the large camera tomorrow
      P1000182xxoo.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 9:26pm (Apr 16th 2010)

That is Lovely NN the Darkness at the bottom and the brightness at the top is a great contrast well done to Grandad North!!:smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 9:30pm (Apr 16th 2010) edited

from large camera
      P1000211aa.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 9:37pm (Apr 16th 2010) edited

Again NN Very nice photo it looks very professional!!!:smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 11:29pm (Apr 16th 2010)

THey said on the news that we should see some fantastic sunrise/sunsets because of the volcanic dust in the air. Those pictures are outstanding!
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2010 11:04pm (Apr 17th 2010)

I had a go at some pictures tonight have a look they are under Nanny Norths photos.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 7:40pm (Apr 18th 2010)

Designer Neena Pellegrini has launched her own line of Pants for Dogs. The absorbent underwear for pets is priced at about £15 to £25..
      pants.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 7:41pm (Apr 18th 2010)

crikey I dont pay that much for my own !!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 8:00pm (Apr 18th 2010) edited

I just don't bother..... and if I had a dog it wouldn't either....
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 8:41pm (Apr 18th 2010)

Very Sexy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:w00t: if you are a bull dog!!
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 8:54pm (Apr 18th 2010)

Hee hee
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2010 8:52pm (May 7th 2010)

A beekeeper had to be called after a swarm of 20,000 bees attached themselves to an Australian woman's washing.

They made a bee line for some colourful pants and socks hanging on a washing line in Victoria, Australia.

Beekeeper Brian Gardiner, who was called to clear the insects, said the woman had been terrified when she saw the bees attached to one of her socks.

"She had gone out to bring the washing in and got the fright of her life," he said.

"When she rang me and described where the swarm was, I had to grab my camera."

Mr Gardiner said that bees swarm in the spring when their hives become overcrowded, forcing the queen bee to head out with some of her workers.

The bees then cluster nearby while scouts head out to find suitable locations for a new hive
      swarm_of_bees_rex_f2e3150588f6504645671ade0792dcfd.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 8:19pm (May 24th 2010)

If you think looking after two or three children is stressful enough, spare a thought for this over-worked parent.

The Canada goose has been left in charge of 40 goslings on the Thames in Reading, with only one helper to lend a wing.

Although so-called geese 'creches' - where the offspring of different parents get mixed up - are fairly common, experts say this is one of the largest and most understaffed they have seen.
      goose.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 8:49pm (May 24th 2010)

My friend had a duck sitting on twelve eggs in her garden...and thirteen hatched! A double yolker must have hatched successfully.
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 9:24pm (May 24th 2010)

Wow thats a bakers dozen and very unusual. I used to know a lady who lived near the river when my kiddies were little and she used to have a duck nest in one of her hanging baskets every year.
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 10:17pm (May 24th 2010)

A duck flew over our garden yesterday. Never seen one here before, though the river is just at the bottom our road. All birds fascinate me, though I know nothing about any of them.

On the way home I saw a hawk try to take a crow off one of the lamposts on the motorway. It didn't grab properly first time and the crow managed to take off so I think it saved itself, but it flew in the opposite direction so I don't know.
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 9:36am (May 25th 2010)

I love watching birds.
    If I have to come back for another life, I have chosen to be a male eagle so I can soar above and look down. Problem with that is that I won't appreciate what I am seeing from a human's point of view, I'll not remember my previous life!
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 10:01pm (May 25th 2010)

This jackal was reminded of his place in nature's pecking order when he got a nasty nip on the nose after trying to snatch a hungry vulture's scrap of meat.

The pair came to blows after setting their sights on the same tasty snack.

Although the meat was closely guarded by the bird the jackal thought he'd try his luck - but he obviously hadn't bargained for a fight
      article-1280155-09AAC731000005DC-698_634x363.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 10:24pm (May 25th 2010)

I haven't bought a newspaper for weeks, but bought one last Friday to keep me busy while waiting for hubby on his disastrous track day and those pics were in it. Its amazing what a talented photographer can capture.
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 10:50pm (May 25th 2010)

They sure are amazing pictures how wonderful to be there and able to take them as the events happen.
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2010 3:13pm (May 27th 2010) edited

This greedy chipmunk bites off more than he can chew as he stuffs his cheeks during a nut feast.

His eyes were bigger than his mouth as he optimistically crams nuts in.

Before long the monkey nuts start to spill out and the cheeky chipmunk has to scamper off to store the hoard
      article-1280781-09B6EBB1000005DC-461_468x358.jpg
      article-1280781-09B6EBA7000005DC-563_468x453.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2010 5:44pm (May 27th 2010)

Reminds me of when I had mumps...:rolling:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2010 8:39am (Jun 16th 2010)

just read thru all the stories in this thread.
    excellent.
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2010 11:31pm (Jun 25th 2010)

Bionic feet for amputee cat

Fantastic story! Watch the video, especially the last minute.
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 3:08am (Jun 28th 2010)

This is amazing Kate and made me quite teary.
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 3:41am (Jun 28th 2010)

Going back to the bee story at the top, me and Lyle recently watched a program about swarms on BBC iplayr - it was AMAZING!

This is the second episode here, anyone seen it?
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 3:45am (Jun 28th 2010)

oh poop I cant see it cos I am in Oz and its only available to those in the UK.
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 8:41pm (Jun 28th 2010)

Wonderfull story about the amputee cat Kate and what a lovely man he really cares about his work and the animals. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 9:09pm (Jun 28th 2010)

It's not what you'd usually expect to come across while settling down for breakfast, but this strange looking object is actually a seriously misshapen egg.
    Discovered in the Anhui province of China, the curved egg has taken on a similar shape to a banana.
    Misshapen eggs are common, but the varying shapes differ with each strain of bird.
    However they are most often produced by pullets coming into lay, or hens late in lay, often as a result of double ovulation
      egg.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 9:54pm (Jun 28th 2010)

NN That is the strangest egg i have ever seen weird !!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 10:01pm (Jun 28th 2010)

Looks like the hen had trouble laying that one!
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 10:45pm (Jun 28th 2010)

Actually, it was probably less trouble to lay than a proper one! :D
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2010 7:42am (Jun 29th 2010)

Yes i bet it was cc but not much of and egg sandwich though!!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2010 8:59pm (Jul 1st 2010)

I don't know how true this is but it was in the Daily mail

A British family were thrilled today after their chicken set a new world record by laying fourteen eggs - in one day.
    The heavyweight hen - named Sarah - produced more than a dozen of her own eggs - in just over two hours
    Owner Debbie Armstrong, of Newquay, Cornwall, says the bird has only ever previously laid one each morning.

But last week the plucky chicken produced 14 eggs in a day - which experts say is a world record.
    'It was over two hours that she laid fourteen eggs. She laid one when I was holding her.

'I couldn't believe it. I researched it on line and found most chickens only lay one or two a day. So this is a lot more than that.
    'I'm just glad she hasn't died. I was getting increasingly worried about her as she had been acting broody lately.
    'But since she laid the 14 eggs, she seems a little more happy.
      article-0-0A29D7A6000005DC-893_468x675.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2010 9:01pm (Jul 1st 2010)

Thats unbelievable NN i cant see that at all can you ?
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2010 9:05pm (Jul 1st 2010)

• CommentTimeJul 1st, 2010 9:46pm (Jul 1st 2010)

I'd want to know if they had any other hens - or if they were very small but it looks like they're normal size doesn't it.
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2010 12:59am (Jul 2nd 2010)

What?! No way, I don't believe it...

Hey, has anyone ever heard of 'lashes' or a 'lash' before?! They were in a chicken magazine I got, they're apparently what hens sometimes lay, I guess, as a way to clean their egg-producing parts...or something like that!!

Here is a pic of a lash anyway, no two ever look the same:
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2010 7:16am (Jul 2nd 2010)

Never heard of this before red looks a bit yucky though!!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2010 1:08pm (Jul 2nd 2010)

yeah, sounds real gross, and I'd be terrified if I'd found one of them in the nest box before finding out about a lash!
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2010 6:25pm (Jul 2nd 2010)

What does a lash contain?
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2010 7:56pm (Jul 2nd 2010)

A lash is the lining of the uterus (shell gland) and can be shed in response to an infection, it is the hens way to recover and they often feel a lot better after expelling it. They usually wont lay any more eggs after wards though. Amber produced a small one when she was egg bound. I don't know if she still lays but she is a happy friendly hen so I am not worried about it.
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2010 10:48pm (Jul 2nd 2010)

It looks horrible! But it sounds like a very good thing that nature has given them to enable them to recover.
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2010 6:26pm (Jul 3rd 2010)

:ack2::_puke:Ever wish you hadn't asked something...?
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2010 9:59am (Jul 4th 2010)

Hope you didn't read it at tea time CC.
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2010 11:36am (Jul 4th 2010) edited

Sign him up, Fabio! The cockerel with dazzling football skills
      article-0-0A4E82D6000005DC-300_634x788.jpg
      cockL0307_308x385.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2010 1:58pm (Jul 4th 2010)

:rolling: Love it!
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2010 10:53pm (Jul 4th 2010)

Me too! He's fantastic!
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2010 8:25pm (Jul 8th 2010)

A nasty tumble from the nest may have left Kevin the kestrel with a broken leg.
    But it was nothing that a bit of surgical ingenuity couldn't put to rights.
    With the help of a hypodermic needle for a pin, some slender strands of wire and a bit of dental cement, veterinary staff carefully fixed the tiny bird's fragile limb back into position.
    And if the bird of prey continues to make a speedy recovering he should be soaring over the British countryside by autumn.
      baby bird.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2010 9:52pm (Jul 8th 2010)

Aw bless!!! Lets hope he makes a full recovery.
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2010 10:45pm (Jul 8th 2010)

How Sweet NN!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2010 12:50pm (Jul 9th 2010)

Aw Bless.. hope he makes a full recovery.
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2010 6:49pm (Jul 9th 2010)

i want one! :heart:
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2010 8:39am (Jul 10th 2010)

What a broken leg????? or a purple bandage??
    he he he.
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2010 1:24pm (Jul 10th 2010)

A fluffy chick. But one that doesn't grow up into a kestrel! AND a purple bandage.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2010 1:52pm (Jul 13th 2010)

I bet that purple bandage did not do anything for his street cred. :-)
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2010 9:57am (Jul 29th 2010)

• CommentTimeJul 29th, 2010 6:59pm (Jul 29th 2010)

I can see it on the circle picture Kate, although I don't think I would have spotted it actually on the hen. Nice little story though.
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2010 7:02pm (Jul 29th 2010)

This incredible picture shows how a lovers tiff between two sparrows ended abruptly when the male bird rudely took matters into his own claws and clamped his female friend's beak shut.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1298038/Stop-squawking-Kung-fu-sparrow-rowdy-friend.html#ixzz0v5qcJaux
      article-0-0A955AF6000005DC-213_634x430.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2010 9:45pm (Jul 29th 2010)

I love to look at the clouds - I can always see something in them - but doubt I'd have spotted Jesus on the chicken either!

That's a great picture NN, must've taken some patience for the photographer to catch it.
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2010 9:43pm (Jul 30th 2010)

Well thats one way of shutting her up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2010 11:58pm (Jul 30th 2010)

Ha ha!! Like to see you try it on your wife Lee!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2010 2:18pm (Jul 31st 2010)

I would not even go there Kate!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2010 7:52pm (Jul 31st 2010)

Who are you calling ugly? Gremlin bat nursed back to health after mum drops her in flight

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1298975/Who-calling-ugly-Gremlin-bat-nursed-health-mum-drops-flight.html#ixzz0vH9hsBRB
      baby bat.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2010 9:36pm (Jul 31st 2010)

He is fantastic! What a little cutey - I hope he's going to be OK. How fascinating that they have 5 toes/fingers.
    • CommentTimeAug 1st, 2010 1:00am (Aug 1st 2010)

There are more photos and the full story if you use the link. It is a cutie and so very tiny it is amazing it survived the fall.
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd, 2010 8:12pm (Aug 2nd 2010)

This sneaky mouse has shown an amazing talent for sneaking into a backyard bird feeder to gorge on nuts and oats.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1298364/Mouse-house-The-tiny-rodent-bit-chew.html#ixzz0v5r6kDCx
      mouse.jpg
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd, 2010 9:35pm (Aug 2nd 2010)

:mouse2:Is that the mouse that ate so much he couldn't get out?
    The picture I saw was of him trying to squash his way out of the tube but his bulging tummy wouldn't go through.
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd, 2010 10:40pm (Aug 2nd 2010)

I read the article and yes Ollie, it does say that. The owner of the feeder has freed him 3 times in the past. What a clever little mouse!
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2010 3:21pm (Aug 12th 2010)

Standing proudly upright and straight, this chicken that thinks she's a penguin cuts an unusual figure around the farmyard

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1299178/Spared-pot-waddling-chicken-thinks-penguin.html#ixzz0vH97rPWX
      hen.jpg
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2010 1:28pm (Sep 16th 2010) edited

It's yoga bear: Supple Santra has more keep-fit moves than the average bear. Check this bear out with the link below it is just so sweet, I loved it and just had to show you all.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1312205/Its-Yoga-Bear-Show-Incredible-pictures-Santra-keeps-shape-Finnish-zoo.html#ixzz0zcIYrXeL
      article-1312205-0B31CE09000005DC-182_306x423.jpg
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2010 10:49pm (Sep 16th 2010)

She's lovely NN! Maybe she should come and join my body balance class - she's better at it than we are!!
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2010 10:51pm (Sep 16th 2010)

Has anyone seen the new Ikea ad with all the cats? I saw a 'making of...' on You Tube which made me laugh. They took over a store at night and 2 of the cats had escaped before they even started filming, and one got down between the stands and they had to take them apart to get it out! Nice peaceful ad though.
    • CommentTimeSep 17th, 2010 7:02pm (Sep 17th 2010)

I havent see that one yet Kate but look forward to it.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd, 2010 2:18pm (Sep 22nd 2010)

the Ikea cats advert is nice.
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd, 2010 9:25pm (Sep 23rd 2010)

I saw it for the first time the other day and it is really nice I love the oriental cat in bed. Mia does just the same.
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd, 2010 9:59pm (Sep 23rd 2010)

I love the ginger one at the end, nestled in the cushions. Makes me feel all warm and sleepy!
    • CommentTimeSep 24th, 2010 9:18am (Sep 24th 2010)

chased up the Ikea ad, what a gem and also looked at the 'making of' doco just briliant.
    • CommentTimeSep 24th, 2010 8:11pm (Sep 24th 2010)

This picture is just so sweet use the link to have a look at the others...
    Revealed in every tiny detail: The secret life of harvest mice as never seen before

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1314285/Revealed-tiny-The-secret-life-harvest-mice.html#ixzz10T8a1PDJ
      article-1314285-0B4C8D9D000005DC-635_306x539.jpg
    • CommentTimeSep 24th, 2010 9:49pm (Sep 24th 2010)

Lovely pictures in that article NN. I wonder how many photos they took over the 12 months to get a set this good!
    • CommentTimeSep 25th, 2010 8:13pm (Sep 25th 2010)

Cor I bet it must have been hundreds Kate, but they were certainly rewarded by their patience.
    • CommentTimeSep 25th, 2010 9:36pm (Sep 25th 2010)

Yes, the beauty of digital photography. Not like the old days of reels and reels of film, costing a fortune to be developed, only to find out all of your efforts were rubbish!!!!
    • CommentTimeSep 28th, 2010 10:03am (Sep 28th 2010)

That has happened to me many times Kate, but I can still remember the excitment of getting them developed and back through the post. Already I have more pictures of Aurelia than I ever had of my three boys. It was an expensive hobby back then. Nowadays you can just click away happily and delete any you don't want I love it.
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 8:34pm (Mar 7th 2011)

Held up in between two human fingers, this amazing two-headed African Spurred Tortoise is a rare sight to behold - and even evolutionist Charles Darwin would struggle to explain its unique deformity.
    Delicate, precious and tiny, this pair, who have been handed two names - Madga (left head) and Lenka - are only seven weeks' old

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363848/Two-headed-African-Spurred-Tortoise-discovered-Slovakia.html#ixzz1FwpoQG1a
      2 heads.jpg
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2011 12:50pm (Mar 9th 2011)

unusual and so beautiful.
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2011 1:08pm (Mar 9th 2011)