• CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 2:49pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

Well, am not very impressed with the chicken house we bought for the girlies last May. I even went as far as painting each piece with Ronseal before putting it together and b***dy thing has completely fallen apart already, constantly has mould in the roof and all the metal slide bolts have broken off. And, as we found out through use, it doesn't really work for 6ft tall men - I do keep telling hubby not to climb in it!!

So, we have just bought a new one which is far more practical and sensible together with a huge run and storage area under the nest box. Only thing is, we have to put it up ourselves. Will post photos as we progress.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 3:58pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

Yes Volka photos and notes on your new coop would be very helpful i bought my first one 5 years ago when i started with chickens and it was made by somebody and is extremely well made dose not leak or go moldy but it dose not look very pretty so i bought a much better looking one but it is rubbish the wood is so soft and it leaks and gos moldy i think you cannot beat a homemade one from someone local to who knows what they are doing and cares.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 7:15pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

Hello Volka how nice to see you posting again, I was wondering how you were. It will be interesting seeing the new house going up. We made our hen house ourselves and it is good and strong and will hopefully last a few more years.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 9:12pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

What a great thread. I'm sure this will help people looking for advice on what to buy as a starter - and just as important what not to buy!
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 9:16pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

ooohhhh and you know how much we like picture......:-)

Thanks for the tip on the WIlkinson Meal Worms Kate - they ar estill on offer - I gave in an bought 2, just have to hope they don't like them now or I'll be buying those as well. Roll on the summer when they can have lots of the veggies out of hte garden.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 9:17pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

My neighbour Rosei made me laugh the other night, I saw her when I got home from work and she laughed and said "The Girls told me in no uncertain terms that you don't feed them enought treats and they were starving" so I felt oblidged to cook the a big pan of brocolli to eat. She's as mad as I am.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 9:21pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

Yes, pictures!!

I can't claim the Wilko's suggestion but I bet the girls are glad someone did!! What a lovely neighbour you have, but those girls are such telltales! :D
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2010 1:24pm (Mar 4th 2010)

oh you are so not going to believe this. the mad chicken lady down the road has had a proper thatched roof made for her chicken house. if I can take a photo, i will!
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2010 5:48pm (Mar 4th 2010)

Eggcellent!! What a splendid woman...thatch costs a fortune!
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2010 7:44pm (Mar 4th 2010) edited

cool, that sounds rather posh I hope you are able to get a photo. Oh by the way why is she the mad chicken woman?
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2010 7:51am (Mar 9th 2010)

Her house is a little crazy! It's a lovely 17th century cottage but it's full of fairies and crafty stuff. She makes her own clothes (usually some sort of multi-coloured shapeless knitted affair) but drives a new Alfa Romeo!

And she has about 2 dozen bantums who run free around the bottom of our road during the day - makes going home interesting! The little rooster likes to have stand-offs with traffic. Amazing thing is, he usually wins and people turn around and go the long way round the village!

As to the thatching, she does live opposite the local village thatcher so it's who you know, I suppose!
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2010 5:06pm (Mar 9th 2010)

She sounds a very interesting person Volka thats what makes the world go round!!!:spinface:
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2010 6:11pm (Mar 9th 2010)

Sounds like my sort of person! :)
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2010 6:59pm (Mar 9th 2010)

Hi CC where have you been I have missed you xx

I think I must be a mad hen person as well !!!! Shame I can not afford to have my hen house thatched though. Hee hee
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 5:21pm (Mar 10th 2010)

Pottering about...:)
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 7:25pm (Mar 10th 2010)

As long as you are keeping well CC.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 7:43pm (Mar 10th 2010)

I couldn't see your pin on the Googlemap directory (at top of every page here) so I could go and see this mad womans house and her hens!
    How about putting it on for us, please, if you are happy with it?
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 7:50pm (Mar 10th 2010)

I have a feeling it is under Jolity farm Ollie.
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2010 6:42pm (May 7th 2010)

So, eventually a huge amount of wood and metal bits and stuff arrived the morning we went on holiday (it was nearly 3 weeks later than promised) so we didn't get round to starting the build till last weekend. Unfortunately, the instructions (such as they were) bore no resemblance to the bits we had and were just a series of random words strung into sentences with blurry photos that didn't look like what I ordered. Ho-hum. Anyway, after an hour of head-scratching and a lot of bickering, we got started. It has four walls now but then it started raining and three quite important parts just don't fit, so we called it a day. Hope to finish it this weekend. Pics soon.
    • CommentTimeMay 8th, 2010 7:11am (May 8th 2010)

That is a nightmare Volka i hate those sort of instructions nothing is clear!!!!!:grrrrrr:
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2010 9:42pm (May 9th 2010)

Hurrah!! I am pleased to present "Cluckingam Palace".

cluckingham palace

cluckingham palace

cluckingham palace

cluckingham palace

cluckingham palace

cluckingham palace
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2010 10:02pm (May 9th 2010)

Oooo, posh! I am seriously thinking that my lot are going to apply to the council to get rehoused at this rate...
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2010 11:10pm (May 9th 2010) edited

Now that is some project you have done!
    Don't know how you have worked out the funny instructions but guess it is mostly common sense.
    Congrats on the new abode. Well done.

The limit of my carpentry today is to make a new catch for the concertina clothes drier.
    • CommentTimeMay 10th, 2010 5:26pm (May 10th 2010)

Very Nice Volka you have been very busy it looks great well done.How many Hens do you have?
    • CommentTimeMay 10th, 2010 9:30pm (May 10th 2010)

That is wonderful Volka! I hope you're putting their rent up to live in such a lovely place! Has it got a concrete base under the soil?
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 7:47am (May 11th 2010)

That is some posh home for the chickens. Lovely !! job well done Volka.
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 7:50am (May 11th 2010)

Wow, that is a great looking home you built for them, volka. You have very luck girls to be living in such a lovely new pen...so how do they like it?
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 3:07pm (May 11th 2010)

Right, you've all shamed me into it; I've ordered a new henouse before my lot got on the blower to social services! In the weeks time, I want you lot to hire a charabanc and come and help me put it together...
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 4:33pm (May 11th 2010)

If you were just down the road CC for a nice strong cup of tea i would gladly be there to help!!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 5:32pm (May 11th 2010)

Kettle's on....:)
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 6:44pm (May 11th 2010)

As long as it is one of these cups with the Tea bag left in i am your man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      pint-mug-736617513.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 7:08pm (May 11th 2010)

I got one of those for my brother for Christmas a few years ago. Saves constant topups!
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 7:14pm (May 11th 2010)

If i drink out of a normal size mug CC I feel like i have been robbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 7:16pm (May 11th 2010)

Bit of a teapot then, eh?
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 7:27pm (May 11th 2010)

You got it i love Teaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
      teabag.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 9:37pm (May 11th 2010)

I'm an awful snob and use a teapot, milk jug, cup and saucer, all china of course.

Which brings another little story to mind.
    The Doctor had asked that my granny be assessed for admission to care.
    The Health visitor turned up to find gran with a tea table set right down to the real napkin, in a ring, as she always did.
    The HV's report was very scathing of the doctor but she couldn't see that this old lady was "on auto" and really was in need of care.
    • CommentTimeMay 12th, 2010 1:20am (May 12th 2010)

Daisy caught sleeping in the girls bedroom this afternoon !!!!
      Img_0931a.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 12th, 2010 4:23am (May 12th 2010) edited

Posted By: nanny northDaisy caught sleeping in the girls bedroom this afternoon !!!!

Awwww ..Daisy is sooo cute laying in there.
    • CommentTimeMay 12th, 2010 7:10am (May 12th 2010)

looking at that bedding i think i will come and join her!!!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 12th, 2010 8:26am (May 12th 2010)

Ollie in UK, I'm a bit of a snob too then because I like to make my tea in a teapot. It tastes better. :-)

My Dad used to make it the usual Indian way of boiling the water and tea-leaves on the hob, then adding the milk,sugar and tea masala and boiling it again. There is no way I can drink that sort of tea now because I know with total certainty that I will not sleep for 2 nights.

NN, Daisy looks comfy in there !!!
    • CommentTimeMay 12th, 2010 8:25pm (May 12th 2010)

I had a neighbour who used to make me that sort of tea Shobhna, at first I used to drink it just to be polite but then I realy got used to it and enjoyed it very much. We used to have lovely afternoon teas together it was a shame we lost touch as we both moved house with in a short time of each other.
    • CommentTimeMay 12th, 2010 9:44pm (May 12th 2010)

A friend gives me Rooibosh tea, making it by boiling the tea in a pan, repeatedly.

I once did the catering for a function and put my Rooitea bags with the other stuff.
    Another helper used them for the first brew thinking they had to be used first as there were so few.
    Customer brought his mug back and asked if the milk was "going off"?
    • CommentTimeMay 14th, 2010 9:36pm (May 14th 2010)

Where are all the photobucket pictures disapearing to I have noticed it on other theeads as well.
    • CommentTimeMay 14th, 2010 11:01pm (May 14th 2010)

I think they are programmed to "expire". Like some of the utube stuff, especially music, they just go off!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2010 8:16am (May 18th 2010)

Ollie, Rooibosh or Redbush tea is just lovely and I love it. I drink it at work quite often and really I should go back to drinking that all the time and ditch normal tea. At least that would get rid of the caffine vice..

Then the only vice I'd be left with would be wine.
    :drinkparty::drinkparty: