• CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 10:06am (Mar 10th 2010)

It is almost here again. Practise for the weekend racing in Bahrain starts Friday.
    Who is your favourite team and driver?
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 10:10am (Mar 10th 2010)

Here is one to watch.....Driver Sebastian Vettel has christened his Red Bull for this season 'Luscious Liz'. The superstitious 22-year-old has driven 'Kate' and 'Julie' in previous campaigns. Vettel has also joked that the media attention around him has calmed this year because of the return of "some old German guy" to the sport !!!!!!

But I like Jenson and Mclaren best
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 5:19pm (Mar 10th 2010)

Team; Wycombe Wanderers
    Driver: Stirling Moss. Get well soon, Sir S!
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 7:07pm (Mar 10th 2010)

Ferrari and Philippe Massa for me NN he is a great driver and has a great personality as well it was unfortunate for him last season with his accident.

I also love Michael schumacher you cant take it away from him he can drive.
      felipe-massa.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 7:07pm (Mar 10th 2010)

I deny the rumour that Vettel has been in my driving seat!!! (That man just can't keep a secret! :D )

Since Schuie left he has shown that he does have a sense of humour, so I think this season I'm going to support him. I'm typically british and like an underdog though, so may change my mind on that one!
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 8:30pm (Mar 10th 2010)

I did see the peice in the paper about Sir S falling down his own lift shaft - how scarey must that have been..... as you say get well soon Sir S
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 8:31pm (Mar 10th 2010)

I haven't studied any of the new rules, but it strikes me that its goong to be a bit more boring with out the fuel stops and the anticipatin of somone driving away with their hose still attached.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2010 9:49pm (Mar 10th 2010)

I hadn't heard about Sir S either. Will have to go google that.
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 12:55pm (Mar 11th 2010)

I can't find any tv coverage of the practice sessions, nor anything on the net apart from timing charts - which I adore!
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 2:12pm (Mar 11th 2010) edited

I hope this is of some use to you Ollie

Next Formula 1 coverage on the BBC
    Practice One 12 Mar 06:55
    Practice Two 12 Mar 10:55
    Qualifying 13 Mar 10:10
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 2:59pm (Mar 11th 2010)

Nope! Nothing at all on programme listings on any region. Just waded through the lot. Daughter may have some guidance for me later. Thanks though.
    I had it on "Secret channel in 08 but BBC didn't use that last year.
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 7:51pm (Mar 11th 2010)

Ah I have just had another look Ollie and apparently it is a red button job I have never used the red button so don't know much about it.I did ask Jay but he was a tad vague about it as well.
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 8:14pm (Mar 11th 2010)

Ah.. Red Button. That's it. No probs now.
    Get onto BBC1 at the time required and press your red button, after a short time what you are looking for should appear.
    I had just checked with daughter - I'd forgotten all about Red Button!
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 8:16pm (Mar 11th 2010)

Phew glad thats sorted and now I know what to do what a good team we are xx
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 8:37pm (Mar 11th 2010)

I'm definitely going to press the red button when the motor vracing comes on...;)
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2010 9:35pm (Mar 11th 2010)

Live timing on http://www.formula1.com/live_timing/live_timing.html
    is working now but it didn’t remember me, so I had to register again (not a big issue, very sparse details needed, lots of “tick if you want this” boxes (rather than “untick if you don’t”).
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 1:26am (Mar 12th 2010)

I pressed my red button and my TV promptly turned off !!
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 8:05am (Mar 12th 2010)

Now Trev, fancy having your "Off" button painted red!
    You may have a different system down there but I hope you can fix it for the practice sessions. The Qualifying and race are on main stream so they won't be a problem.

Live timing still playing up. Seems different folks are having different problems with it. BBC haven't got it sorted yet !!!
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 8:11am (Mar 12th 2010) edited

Has anyone told the HRT team what "HRT" implies to us in UK?
    For t' furiners = it's a tablet for menopausal ladies' problems....
    (Hope it helps but it can have some unpleasant side effects).
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 3:59pm (Mar 12th 2010)

I was cleaning out the fridge this morning and suddenly remembered the practising sessions Ollie. I had missed one but it was only eight minutes into the second one. I thought, Haha I will have a go at the red button and hey presto twas easy peasy Mr Sneezy!! So thats something else I have learned this week can't be bad eh. I didn't watch much of it though as I had to much to do.... baking and such for the weekend.
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 6:02pm (Mar 12th 2010)

NN I don't know how you do it all you must love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heart:
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 6:42pm (Mar 12th 2010)

Posted By: hqtrevI pressed my red button and my TV promptly turned off !!

That's what I meant...
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 6:48pm (Mar 12th 2010)

Ha ha I thought you might have done CC
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 7:20pm (Mar 12th 2010)

The F1 race in Australia is 1 hour up the road from here, but I have never been. I have always prefered the coverage on TV, although obviously it would be a buzz trackside. I do attend a few other auto related events around the area from time to time.... in fact today there is burnout competition nearby (the winner is the one that can make the most amount of smoke come off the tires), but I am working today :sad:
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 7:25pm (Mar 12th 2010)

I think it is the atmosphere at these events that are so awesome but as you say you do get better coverage on the box. The burn out competition sounds rather interesting bet it stinks of burning rubber for days though.
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 7:46pm (Mar 12th 2010)

It's better when you enter a car yourself, because then every time you open the garage door for weeks after, you get a decent smell of burnt rubber hit you in the face, haha.

Oh yeah.... "GO WEBBER"
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 7:48pm (Mar 12th 2010)

Oh NN i have been to about 4 Grand prix,s and you cannot beat being there!!!! The smell and the noise you cannot describe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      DSC00088 (512 x 384).jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 7:56pm (Mar 12th 2010)

This was 2 seasons ago at Silverstone it was very windy and wet.
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2010 8:01pm (Mar 12th 2010)

Vey good Lee. I haven't been to a F1 although I would very much like to.

Grandad North and I went to the F1 museum at Donnington which isn't far from where we live it was a cracking day out.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2010 9:00am (Mar 13th 2010)

I seem to have lost all the messages on here, just the message writing itself, everything else is working. It might be my laptop as I have been fiddling with the Java thing trying to get Live F1 Timing to run.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2010 1:25pm (Mar 13th 2010)

Got my Java fixed as it wasn't letting me get Live Timing from F1. Then found it wasn't a problem with mine after all.
    Thanks Neil for fixing things. You're a genius.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2010 8:30pm (Mar 13th 2010)

The problem with the live events is the cost. Entry fees are horrendous!
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2010 8:54pm (Mar 13th 2010)

I agree that entry fees to F1 viewing is quite an item, especially in UK.
    We used to go to Silverstone every year, camping in the sites provided. Great fun, BBQ evenings and very loud music throughout the night...

The days are full of all kinds of different classes of racing cars, all in their own series of championships. Something that doesn't come accross on the TV productions. They used to show some of the other races but that has gone by the wayside, possibly due to high charges being made by the rights" owners.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2010 2:45pm (Mar 14th 2010)

Just watched the race from Bahrain.
    Not over exciting, though the pit stops were "eye-blink and you miss it"!

After all my work to get the timing charts onto my computer the lap chart wasn't being transmitted.

I got the lap timing, find that difficult. I did persevere using it as a brain training exercise.

More of a problem was seeing FOUR Red Bulls. I had a printout of the drivers and cars to identify but hadn't noticed. Was I confused??? RBs at the front and back ends of the pack!

Anyway the matadore did well.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2010 2:52pm (Mar 14th 2010)

... I did watch mos tof it and for some reason the cars looked like they were going really slow..... I will give it hte benefit of the doubt and wait a few more races for a final decision but it did seem a boring.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2010 3:49pm (Mar 14th 2010)

Posted By: TracyBbut it did seem boring

HAH! :)
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 3:21pm (Mar 16th 2010)

I was very disapointed with the race I must admit.I think they have messed about with the rules to much and a lot of the drivers have said similar things. Ecclestone has said, "Bear with it for a few more races." but I think it will turn people away if it continues with no excitement.

I felt real sorry for Vettle though, and agree with Ollie having four Red Bulls confused me at one point.
    Do anyone know was there anything done about Webber pulling forward to far on the grid?
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 5:20pm (Mar 16th 2010)

NN i think his place stands no action as yet.But i do agree with you that i hope that this race was a one off as this circuit is the second longest of the season SPA being the longest because it was mighty boring in the middle section!!!!!!!!!!we will see.
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 6:55pm (Mar 16th 2010)

I often have a five minute nap halfway through the race anyhow..... if it keeps on like this I will be asleep for the whole race Ha ha.
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 8:07pm (Mar 16th 2010)

If i am honest NN i did drift off a couple of times myself!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 8:10pm (Mar 16th 2010)

Ha ha chatting to Ollie last year she said she often had a nap halfway through it as well.
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 9:00pm (Mar 16th 2010)

Its the drone of the engines - best thing about it is that it sends me to sleep! At the end of the first lap I said to hubby that barring breakdowns that was the result sorted - no one looked like they were ever going to overtake. I prefer watching the saloon cars - that's a real fight for position!
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 4:12pm (Mar 17th 2010)

I have it on good authority that the reason Vettle's car slowed right down was due to spark plug failure and overheating of a componant not the exhaust pipe.
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 6:11pm (Mar 17th 2010) edited

Well i thought is was the exhaust broken have you got a secret insider NN??!!!
    Kate the Saloon cars are fantastic loads of pushing and shoving!! If you have never seen Truck racing then i would urge anyone to go and see it it is fantastic!!!!!!
      L_Brands Nov 09 423.jpg
      L_Brands Nov Sun 09 343.jpg
      L_2OH_6265.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 6:13pm (Mar 17th 2010)

The top 2 photos are Brands Hatch and the bottom one is in Germany
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 6:56pm (Mar 17th 2010)

That looks like mega fun Lee, They used to do truck racing near Leatherhead when I worked there but I was always to busy to go.
    Umm well yes it did come from someone in the know.
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 9:35pm (Mar 17th 2010)

Truck racing is mental! I know that a lot of tracks have it as the last event of the season because of the mess they make, especially when they crash!!!
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 1:24am (Mar 26th 2010)

Well the F1 has arrived here in OZ ! Unfortunately I cannot go to it, nor can I watch it live on TV.... I am working both days over the weekend. Oh well, at least I can record it to watch later... dodging news reports of the results in the meantime.
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 9:15am (Mar 26th 2010)

Thats a bit of bad organisation Trev. Why didn't you have the weekend as holiday? (I can't recall what your job is..)

The practices were in the middle of our night so I am watching repeats instead.
    I WILL be up with timing charts at our 7.00am tomorrow for the qualifying races.
    Then same again on Sunday.
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 6:19pm (Mar 26th 2010)

Cant wait for the Grand prix Ollie the Australian one is really good!! great Track :bigsmile: :driving:
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2010 10:00am (Mar 27th 2010)

Got up really early for the qualifying. Somehow not as exciting as I had expected.
    Looking forward to the race itself, quite early for us in UK.
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2010 11:28pm (Mar 27th 2010)

It turns out the race starts at 5PM here, so I will be home by then, YAY!

Ollie, I work in a top secret facility among the trees in the hills. Here we have specifically diferent road surfaces, high speed circuits (like the F1), water baths (salt and fresh), and we drive cars around and around untill they break !! Well, not all the time, I work in conjuction with engineers, as a mechanic, to research and develop new model Ford cars. I mainly specialise in electrical work.
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2010 7:04am (Mar 28th 2010)

And the race begins.......
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2010 9:51am (Mar 28th 2010)

My hubby was a mechanic. His area being motor bikes, specialised in tuning for speedway (the UK oval dirt track type) but was a very retiring person and never wanted to go out into the big world much preferring the security of a low paid steady job. Though he did tune his boss's works trails bike too.
    Hope you enjoyed the race, shame about Webber.
    Quite impressed with Alguersuari, we met him when he raced at the new track on the Algarve last summer!
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2010 10:31am (Mar 28th 2010)

Wouldn't you know it.... I watched lap 1 then a friend dropped in who I have not seen in a while.... I have not seen the race yet !!! Lucky I hit record so I can watch it later. I was not aware something happened to Webber, but dont worry, I knew the risk of coming on to this topic, haha.
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2010 2:48pm (Mar 28th 2010)

What a Great Race this was after the BAHRAIN one being so boring very exciting loads of overtaking hope this is how they are in future i think the new rules do not suit the long circuits which i am glad to say is only BAHRAIN and Spa.
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeMar 29th, 2010 4:42am (Mar 29th 2010)

Watched it before going to bed last night. Yes leevaux it was a great race, its amazing what happens when they get a bit of rain thrown in. The art of being on the right tires at exactly the right time is certainly tricky business.
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2010 7:51pm (Mar 30th 2010)

I enjoyed the race and was so pleased for Jenson. Poorold Vettle shame for him though.
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2010 8:45pm (Mar 30th 2010)

Looking forward to another weekend of no lie-ins!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2010 4:48pm (Apr 3rd 2010)

Never mind the nyaaaaaahnyaaaaahs, poor old Oxford have lost the boat race! :(
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2010 8:56pm (Apr 3rd 2010)

The first time in years I haven't watched it, and the team I root for finally won!!!!!! I like an underdog!
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 7:42pm (Apr 18th 2010)

Hurrah so pleased for Jenson
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 9:20pm (Apr 18th 2010)

Well another great race!!But racing in the pit lane Lewis And Sebastian that is not to good at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grrrrrr:
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 9:23pm (Apr 18th 2010)

Silly boys and Alonso overtaking Massa in the start of the pit lane as well
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 9:31pm (Apr 18th 2010)

I'm beginning to become an Alonso fan. He is so naughty but gets forward all the time from seemingly impossible positions. He reminds me of Senna.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 9:54pm (Apr 18th 2010)

You are right ollie he is very good and never underestimate him!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2010 4:09pm (May 9th 2010)

Great to See Schumacher back up there today but what a nightmare for Lewis Hamilton and also great for Fernando Alonso on his home ground but all to do next Sunday in Monaco!!!!!!:auto:
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2010 5:35pm (May 9th 2010)

Great fun today but I do love Monaco. We went once on a bus, drove all through the night - beautiful.
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2010 7:47pm (May 9th 2010)

Oh Ollie that must have been wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2010 8:55pm (May 9th 2010)

Yes, it was , though I had a broken bone in my foot but didn't know it was that bad at the time. My hobbling round was hilarious!
    We had front seats half way up the slope at the beginning, just about three feet above the cars. A fantastic trip, especially as I love to travel and don't go to sleep until I arrive.
    • CommentTimeMay 10th, 2010 5:16pm (May 10th 2010)

I am very Jealous Ollie!!!!