• CommentTimeDec 24th, 2010 7:38pm (Dec 24th 2010)

Certainly did, it's beautiful!
    • CommentTimeDec 25th, 2010 5:57am (Dec 25th 2010)

Oh they are all so lovely, wish I had the patience for that sort of craft and good eyesight helps too.
    • CommentTimeDec 25th, 2010 8:17pm (Dec 25th 2010)

I think I might need glasses next year, I have managed with out so far.
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2011 5:19pm (Feb 24th 2011) edited

Here is another of the projects I have been busy with, a little bag for Aurelia. As promised here are the pictures of the finished results. The mouse and Bunny are from the Beatrix potter books. It has little heart shaped buttons on the side to hide the edging seam.
      Aurelia.jpg
      May.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2011 6:44pm (Feb 24th 2011)

Pretty!
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2011 8:23pm (Feb 24th 2011)

That is awesome NN, well done! :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2011 9:41pm (Feb 24th 2011)

They are lovely NN, I'm sure she will love them!
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 12:17pm (Feb 25th 2011)

It is one bag Kate, I was trying to show you the front and back !!!! Sorry I didn't explain it very well.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 8:44pm (Feb 25th 2011)

Actually NN, I had realised that when I saw it, but then didn't write my post very well. That's what comes of typing while watching TV and fussing the cat!! I meant that she will love them as in both pictures - i.e. both sides of the bag!
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 8:50pm (Feb 25th 2011)

No probs just crossed wires !!! I get so I don't pay much attention to the TV. Grandad North has to have it on whether he is watching it or not. He watches some right old toot as well !!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 8:52pm (Feb 25th 2011)

I've always got the TV on NN. I can always find something to watch. I am considering trying to break the habit though and take up reading instead. The only problem then is because it is so quite you can hear everything going on outside and it annoys me!
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 9:05pm (Feb 25th 2011)

I do like my radio on most of the day, it is in the kitchen though so I can not always hear it. I usually leave it on when I go out as Sylvi cat is a bit nervous.
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2011 9:51pm (Feb 26th 2011)

We used to do that for our dog as she liked to think someone was around. I get a bit fed up of the repetition though - a lot of the stations play the same songs over and over every hour.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 1:57pm (Feb 27th 2011)

I have smooth radio on usually or will put a CD in now and then for a change.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 4:36pm (Feb 27th 2011) edited

I once left a tuning in a hurry as I'd heard the pips on the radio, and was perplexed to find myself outside the next client's house at quarter to the hour. Apparently the previous customer's African grey parrot could do the pips perfectly because they always left the radio on for him...
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 9:23pm (Feb 28th 2011)

That is so funny CC, I just read it out to Grandad North he is laughing as well. My Mum inherited a minor bird years ago and that used to come out with some choice phrases. Dad hated it and gave it to a customer who admired it while Mum was out one day. I think she was relieved as she didn't say much !!!
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 6:34pm (Mar 1st 2011)

The best one was a stately home where was told the Lady of the house would be back soon, then the nanny left. Cut glass tones rang out 'Hellair?' ''Hello, I'm in the library,' I shouted. 'Hellair?' 'I'M IN THE LIBRARY.' 'Hellair?' Infuriated I stomped towards the source of the Oxbridge tones. And there was a parrot in a cage, who looked at me and said 'Hellair...'
    I made a fuss of him and went back to tuning. 'Hellair?' Sigh...'Hello...' I replied, thinking it was going to be a long job if I was going to have to keep chatting to a parrot.
    'Hellair,' said Lady Thingy, coming into the library...!
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 7:18pm (Mar 1st 2011)

That's just brill CC a smashing tale to share, I did have to laugh. I bet you see the sights on your travels as well. Thank goodness that hens can not mimic us, I dread to think what mine would be saying.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 9:09pm (Mar 1st 2011)

Mum had a minor bird.
    When Dad died in the night, the visiting doctor hear the bird chattering in the lounge and said "Oh, you have someone here with you, that's all right then"
    She had to giggle.....
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2011 7:55pm (Mar 2nd 2011)

:rolling: Actually the mynah was probably better company than most yuman beans...
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2011 2:02pm (Mar 4th 2011)

CC, totally true. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2011 8:48pm (Mar 4th 2011)

The one my Mum had was a rowdy old thing and was so scary it reminded me of an undertaker in a dusty shiny suit.
    It swore like merry hell though and knew a couple of dirty rhymes which it used to get muddled up at times. But it was the screeching that used to drive us nuts. If you covered it's cage for a bit of a rest from it, it used to mutter away to its self with the odd expletive thrown in for good measure.
    Mum used to feel sorry and make excuses for it. Bless her she loved all birds and animals.
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2011 8:08pm (Mar 6th 2011)

NN, your Mom's bird sounds like my little macaw "Poe". When I bought him I thought the reason why they didn't want to sell him to a family with children was he just didn't like them..wrong..it was because he swore like a logger. When I cover him up for being bad, he walks around the bottom of his cage swearing to himself. Even after 14 years of trying to convert the bad words to something else, he still will let out the "Queen Mother of dirty words" when he's angry.
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2011 8:53pm (Mar 6th 2011)

I never realised birds could be in a bad mood! These are lovely stories!
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2011 9:44pm (Mar 6th 2011)

My Mun used to be a nurse and she promised one of her terminally ill patients she would look after the bird when he passed and thats how she came by him. She had him for a good couple of years before Dad gave him to a customer who thought he was lovely.
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 6:27pm (Mar 7th 2011)

Posted By: KatebI never realised birds could be in a bad mood! These are lovely stories!

Milly was forever sulking with me if I did something wrong...one time she wouldn't come near me for two days straight until I'd bribed her around with enough treats, I can't remember what I'd done. When she decided I'd had enough punishment she came over and jumped on my lap and gave me a big cuddle, as if nothing had ever happened.
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 6:33pm (Mar 7th 2011)

Posted By: KatebI never realised birds could be in a bad mood!

A parrot in a petshop near us used to be chatty every day except Monday, when he'd just swear at you if you said hello...
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 9:22pm (Mar 7th 2011)

Birds are so cute and have such funny little ways about them.
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2011 4:33pm (May 5th 2011)

Loving the cross stitch, ladies. Must post some pics up soon (and of my new hennies).
    Have got into doodle stitching lately. That's where you just scribble on the fabric and embroider over it. Saves me poor old eyes having to look at charts - haha.
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2011 6:15pm (May 5th 2011)

Sounds really interesting, V; where did you hear about that, or was it your own idea?
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2011 9:23pm (May 29th 2011)

No, it's out there if you google it. I got started when my hubby bought me a book. I'll put up some pics in the near future.
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2011 10:38pm (May 29th 2011) edited

bits and bobs...

Felt stitchy bits:
    Photobucket Photobucket

Tee-shirts:
    Photobucket

doodle stitching:
    Photobucket Photobucket
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2011 10:54am (May 30th 2011)

Very very nice Volka, you are very talented.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2011 12:24pm (May 30th 2011)

Awesome! I love the rabbit :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2011 2:46pm (May 30th 2011)

...and the Christmas stocking! Thinking ahead, eh, Volka/ Only 208 days to go...:woohoo::_party::cheer::woohoo:
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2011 4:40pm (May 30th 2011)

You are very talented Volka. There looks to be a lot of work in those t-shirts!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2011 1:35pm (May 31st 2011)

love the doodle stitching. :-)
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2011 8:26pm (Jun 1st 2011)

Volka, you are so talented! I love the little bunny.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2011 8:58am (Jun 3rd 2011)

Beautiful work Volka.
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2011 6:15pm (Sep 16th 2011)

So, I've been thinking about starting to sell my crafty bits since Christmas and was galvanised by the recent threat of redundancy (oh, the joys of working in the public sector). Thankfully, the job is safe for the next few years but I decided to go ahead anyway with the online shop. Have a look at http://www.folksy.com/shops/hobbitydog and let me know what you think! Cheers, Lara
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2011 6:35pm (Sep 16th 2011)

They're great Volka, they look really good!
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2011 7:08pm (Sep 16th 2011)

They are lovely - almost (but not quite) makes me wish I could sew!
    • CommentTimeSep 30th, 2011 2:34am (Sep 30th 2011)

Glad your job is safe for a while yet Volka. Your crafty bits are lovely and what a good idea to put what you don't need on Folksy. I have been busy making things for granddaughter and the new babies that are due in the family. I will post some pictures when I get a mo to resize them.
    • CommentTimeOct 15th, 2011 3:50pm (Oct 15th 2011) edited

Well as promised here are the pictures of the pineapple lace shawl I have just finished for Dan and Clares baby. I had to put it over the back of the settee to get the pictures as the cats were asleep on my bed. So did my best with out disturbing them !!!1
      pineapple shawl.jpg
      close.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 15th, 2011 4:05pm (Oct 15th 2011) edited

Here we have some of the things I have made since July, now you know why I was so busy !!!! First off I got two cardigans made for Aurelia. The second one is her Bolt jumper I devised for her, Bolt is a little dog on a DVD she loves to watch
      aurelias cardie.jpg
      bolt cardie.jpg
      Bolt.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 15th, 2011 4:09pm (Oct 15th 2011) edited

here we have baby gift No 1 the effect I was after was of ripe corn fields and wild roses. Aurelia said I had to make the baby a Bolt as well !!!!
      Baby gifts.jpg
      cornfield and wild rose quilt.jpg
      corn rose quillt.jpg
      rose afhghan.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 15th, 2011 4:19pm (Oct 15th 2011) edited

Baby gift no 2.... the blanket is a rainbow yarn with a lace and popcorn effect, it looks a lot nicer then it is in the photo, I love this quilt it is my favourite. The little bonnet has a maribou trim and is made from a soft lemon bobbly wool.
      baby gift 2.jpg
      white quilt.jpg
      white quilt 2.jpg
      rainbow blanket.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 15th, 2011 7:32pm (Oct 15th 2011)

They're amazing NN, so cute!
    • CommentTimeOct 15th, 2011 8:48pm (Oct 15th 2011)

NN you are just the very besttttttttttttt these are fantastic!!!!!! you have so many skills NN you should be very proud of yourself.

:face-smile: :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 16th, 2011 8:04am (Oct 16th 2011)

WOW, NN..those are so pretty...you are so talented!
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 16th, 2011 10:03am (Oct 16th 2011)

Sooooooo impressed ! What a fantastic skill and eye for detail, they're beautiful.
    • CommentTimeOct 16th, 2011 3:58pm (Oct 16th 2011)

What beautiful intricate work, NN - you're so clever!
    • CommentTimeOct 16th, 2011 6:18pm (Oct 16th 2011)

• CommentTimeOct 16th, 2011 11:14pm (Oct 16th 2011)

NN these are all fantastic! The pineapple lace shawl is just so beautiful - it must've taken ages but is just the sort of thing that should become an heirloom.

When I think of all the complaining I did when I made The Blanket and The Blanket II and NN has made so much stuff in the same time with no moans at all! I take my hat off to you NN.

(I wonder if my grandson still has The Blanket II in his cot? I'll have to ask Danny to find out what happened to it).
    • CommentTimeOct 17th, 2011 5:47pm (Oct 17th 2011)

I think the Victoria and Albert Museum have expressed an interest, Kate...:D He's BETTER still have it; I feel we all gave birth to it!!
    • CommentTimeOct 18th, 2011 11:55pm (Oct 18th 2011)

Oh NN such beautiful work, you are a clever and talented girl, so rewarding I am sure, especially when you are making it specifically for loved ones.
    • CommentTimeOct 19th, 2011 7:40pm (Oct 19th 2011)

Thank you TM, we went to see Dan and Clare yesterday they live in Cambridgeshire, that's about two and a half hours away from where we live. Clare is due the baby any time now. She was so pleased with the shawl and was almost in tears when she first saw it. Bless her she did make me laugh as she folded it in half and then folded the sides in and was pretending the baby was already in it, and was having a real good snuggle. You hear people saying pregnant women have a bloom and glow to them. That's just how Clare looks, so sweet and pretty.
    • CommentTimeOct 19th, 2011 10:30pm (Oct 19th 2011)

She couldn't fail to like it NN, it's lovely! It is nice to know how emotional she was over it - I'm sure it will have pride of place when the baby arrives.
    • CommentTimeOct 19th, 2011 10:39pm (Oct 19th 2011)

Danny says The Blanket II is still in Shaun's cot at his mom's house. I think I will insist he uses it until he is at least 18, and then it can be put in a cupboard as an heirloom for if/when he has kids. :wink:
    • CommentTimeOct 20th, 2011 5:44pm (Oct 20th 2011)

I think he should use it until he's 48...:D
    • CommentTimeOct 20th, 2011 7:55pm (Oct 20th 2011)

Glad to hear he still has his blanket Kate.
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2011 4:25pm (Nov 11th 2011)

Well I have finally crawled out of my cave (actually my craft room) I have been making Christams cards to sell at local cafe. Made about 60 and sold 9 immediately so off to a good start.

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2011 4:29pm (Nov 11th 2011) edited

Photobucket

Photobucket

I really enjoy the creative process, would go nuts if I couldn't make 'things'.
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2011 5:22pm (Nov 11th 2011)

They're lovely, Julie; must take you aaaaages!
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2011 6:58pm (Nov 11th 2011)

They're really cool TM!
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2011 9:37pm (Nov 11th 2011)

Love them TM we all have very hidden talents i think its fantastico!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2011 11:48pm (Nov 11th 2011)

There is a lot of detail on those cards TM, you obviously put a lot of effort in! I'm finding it hard to find time to be creative lately, but then I start something and am fed up of it in a very short time. Have to be in the mood to create!
    • CommentTimeNov 12th, 2011 7:54am (Nov 12th 2011)

Thanks folks, I believe we all have creative bits in us it's just finding the right project and the time.
    • CommentTimeNov 12th, 2011 7:39pm (Nov 12th 2011)

Beautiful cards, Julie!!! You are VERY talented!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 15th, 2011 9:21am (Nov 15th 2011)

Thanks Lynn it helps keen me sane or send me nuts depending on the day.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 12:12am (Dec 15th 2011)

Your cards are beautiful Julie, Its lovely having a good crafting session isn't it.
    • CommentTimeApr 13th, 2012 7:03pm (Apr 13th 2012)

Not knitted by me but posted by a miwife to support another midwife who knits at Home Births, while being quietly observant and not intrusive, (Very much the oposite of the teams on tv, who feel they must be seen to be "doing something".)

• CommentTimeApr 13th, 2012 7:28pm (Apr 13th 2012)

How fantastic Ollie - and I love the fact that s/he has stayed anonymous!
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2012 1:42pm (Apr 16th 2012)

Brilliant, I do love a good old phantom mystery. Am knitting a scarf at present but just a short one:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2014 6:59pm (Nov 16th 2014) edited

Reviving a very dusty thread to share some photos of my soap carvings and some patterns I made on the interwebs :smile:

You have the option to make templates yourself and colour them in, and other people can then colour them in too. Or you can colour in ones that were already made, which is what these three are, although I have made a few templates :bigsmile:

(you can click on the pic to make it bigger too)

The site is really cool though, the users are lovely and it's free to join ;)

And the soap carvings are a random heart, two chess pieces, a severed finger ( :rolling: ) and a butterfly :smile:
      soap.jpg
      soap1.jpg
      soap2.jpg
      soap3.jpg
      soap4.jpg
    • CommentTimeNov 17th, 2014 5:50pm (Nov 17th 2014)

Brilliant. Have a go at some chalk too - different feeling but closer to stone or wood than soap.
    • CommentTimeNov 18th, 2014 11:00am (Nov 18th 2014)

Thanks :D Argh, I really want to try chalk out! I just need to find some large enough pieces!
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2014 9:00pm (Nov 20th 2014) edited

I might try and make a doggy door stop, but don't know what to fill it with. Lentils? pebbles and stuffing? Any ideas? I cut out the material last night but it seems the pattern isn't very good so I don't know how it'll end up.

PS Caitlyn (granddaughter) told me on Sunday that she still loves The Blanket I made for her. She thinks Shaun has 'lost' his, but Danny reckons it's still around somewhere.
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2014 9:25pm (Nov 20th 2014)

I used dried peas in a door sausage I made. Worked all right till Bits peed on it!
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2014 9:29pm (Nov 20th 2014)

Ha ha! My store-bought ones are popular with Kitten - she sits and rubs her face on them. She'd love a cat to cuddle up to.
    • CommentTimeDec 28th, 2014 1:10pm (Dec 28th 2014) edited

I got a drawing tablet for Christmas, which is awesome, but sooo complex!

Here're some stuff I've done so far...we still don't know how to use the bucket to fill things in, so I had to colour all these in by hand - bit of a nightmare!! :smile:

First time I've ever drawn a human too I think...
      christmas.jpg
      boxing2.jpg
      boxing4.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 28th, 2014 4:59pm (Dec 28th 2014)

I made a Millyhen!
      boxing6.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2014 1:27pm (Dec 29th 2014)

They're very good Red, my hubby had some of that software a while ago but couldn't do anything with it! They're all recognisable too which is a real achievement!
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2014 3:58pm (Dec 29th 2014)

...but isn't paper quicker and more controllable? :D Super one of Milly...we do miss her.
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2014 8:19pm (Dec 29th 2014)

Thanks! It took me so long to get used to drawing on a tablet but watching the screen!!

Did he have a drawing tablet Kate or was it on the PC? It has taken some getting used to, and I still don't know what half the buttons / icons do :laugh:

I do enjoy drawing on paper CC, but there are some benefits to this...it's easier to colour things in neatly (especially if you cheat and use the fill bucket!), you can use different layers for different body parts (so for example say a piece of hair fell in front of an eye, I could draw the eye as normal then send it behind the hair instead of having to draw around the hair), you can change the thickness of the rubber so can really accurately erase things and you can use a colour wheel to get ANY colour you could want...it's very fun to mess with :smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2014 2:44pm (Dec 30th 2014)

It was a pen and pad (about the size of an i-pad or maybe slightly bigger) that attached to the PC. but when we changed to the Apple Mac it didn't work with it. He never really got it to do anything successful. He likes to use the Mac to manipulate his photos - sepia tone, does the layers thing with them, don't know what else! It doesn't really interest me but I pretend I am and always remember to admire the end result!!!
    • CommentTimeDec 31st, 2014 5:10am (Dec 31st 2014)

Red, I love the picture you drew of Milly. I just use Paint Shop Pro for doing pictures, I use to be able to draw, but as I have gotten older(and with the form of Parkinsons Disease I have) I can't do it anymore.
    • CommentTimeDec 31st, 2014 4:48pm (Dec 31st 2014)

Ah no that sucks Lynn :( I'm not very good at drawing haha but I like to try, and thank you!
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2015 9:10pm (Jan 14th 2015)

WARNING!! The Blanket III is about to begin! One of the girls I work with is getting married so I decided (gulp) this would be a good gift. The pattern calls it an Afghan, but hubby insists that's a dog! :lol: Wedding is on 2nd April - I've got no chance have i! It'll end up being a baby blanket again at this rate!!
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2015 6:19pm (Jan 15th 2015)

Send me some too - it's one of those "good idea at the time" things!
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2015 6:32pm (Jan 15th 2015)

Hmmm... will it be multicoloured like The Blanket I & II?
    • CommentTimeJan 16th, 2015 12:15am (Jan 16th 2015)

No, single colour this time but with cable pattern down it. I'm hoping that thick wool and thick needles will mean it knits up quite quick. Have ordered the wool off the internet but it hasn't arrived yet - precious knitting time is being lost!!
    • CommentTimeJan 16th, 2015 5:57am (Jan 16th 2015)

Posted By: chief chickenI remember being confused reading a book where one character said 'It's very cold tonight, I'll bring you an afghan'. I wondered why being given a dog would warm someone up!

CC, it depends on what part of the country you live in what you call a small blanket...There are nights that are so cold here that I'd like to have an Afghan dog or 2 or 3 to cuddle up with...Have you never heard of the singing group "Three Dog Night"?..that's where they got the name...so cold you needed 3 dogs to stay warm. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJan 16th, 2015 5:54pm (Jan 16th 2015)

Wasn't that an Inuit saying, or have I got that wrong, Lynn?
    • CommentTimeJan 16th, 2015 8:53pm (Jan 16th 2015)

I'm not sure where it originally came from, CC..I've heard it all my life.
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2015 5:43pm (Jan 17th 2015)

Another blanket?! :gasp:
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2015 6:16pm (Jan 17th 2015)

I know...can we stand it? :rolling:
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2015 11:44pm (Jan 17th 2015)

It's 15% complete!! That's not including the sewing up, but with only 2 evenings of knitting it's not bad going is it! I figured I should do as much as I could as quick as I could before my enthusiasm wains!!

My wrists are suffering a bit though - I need to find a way to relieve the pressure but as I'm a self-taught knitter know I don't hold the wool properly.

Will keep you updated!!
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2015 6:03pm (Jan 18th 2015)

Can you wear wrist braces or something? Honestly, why can't you do something gentler...like stone carving? :tooth:
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2015 7:51pm (Jan 19th 2015)

Wow 15% is pretty damn impressive Kate, it'll be done in no time! :)