• CommentTimeMar 15th, 2010 4:37pm (Mar 15th 2010)

Well i don,t know what is the matter with Milly but the last two days she has been very lethargic I have just bought her in doors for a physical check over as i thought she may be egg bound i sat her in hot water but she just stood there looking at me as if to say what are you doing to me!!!!!!!!!!!! you idiot no other symptoms i will keep a close eye on her.A problem shared is a problem halved as they say.:bigsmile:
      DSCF3950 (648 x 486)2.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 4:12pm (Mar 16th 2010)

How is Milly today Lee?
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 4:20pm (Mar 16th 2010) edited

Well NN she is no worse today but not really any better i have booked her in to the vets tomorrow if she is not any better thank you for asking all i have done today is worry about her.Nice to see the forum up to speed and working again
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 4:26pm (Mar 16th 2010)

I hope she is ok Lee and best to get her checked out if you are not sure.It is easy to generalise but they all have their own little personalities and you will know her best. I will be thinking of you both tomorrow at the vets.

Yes it is great to have the forum back up to speed I have felt real lonely and lost with out it. Neil is so good to us all getting it fixed so quickly.
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 4:54pm (Mar 16th 2010)

Hope Millie feels better soon Lee; these animals are such a worry sometimes, aren't they?
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 5:00pm (Mar 16th 2010)

They certainly are CC who would have ever thought a grown man would weep and worry about a Chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:milly_hen:
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 6:01pm (Mar 16th 2010)

I'd rather that than a man who didn't care about a chicken!
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 6:11pm (Mar 16th 2010)

Thats true CC What chickens do you have CC ? and do you have any photos ?
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 9:13pm (Mar 16th 2010)

I bumped into our Director of Public Health on the way into work. We were chatting about the weather, the snow we had, how much is dog loved it. Then he asked me if I had any pets. His face was a picture when I said "2 cats and 2 rats".

Is your vet chicken-savvy Lee? I hope he can sort her out. Let us know won't you.
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 4:59pm (Mar 17th 2010)

Three frizzle bantams, Lee; 2 girls and a boy. If you search for the thread 'Wazza and Init go to CC's house', you'll see them there. Also a thread called 'Littlebeak; World Premiere'.
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 5:31pm (Mar 17th 2010)

Thanks CC I will check it out.
    I have just got back from the vets all he could find was she has a temperature of 41 which is high but does not really know what it is she also has a small growth near the base of her crop but dose not think this is connected to her temperature unless it is connected to a gland it is full of clear fluid so is just a sist of some sort and not cancer he has given me some Metacam which is an anti inflammatory and Baytril as an anti biotic so i have just given her her first lot and we will see.
    I feel a lot better now has been a worry the last couple of days.
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 6:32pm (Mar 17th 2010)

Good. Hope she picks up soon, Lee.
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 7:08pm (Mar 17th 2010)

She should start to feel better once the antibiotic gets to work.
    Poor little girl.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 9:13pm (Mar 17th 2010)

bless her - are they injections - how are you getting on with htem - took me a couple of times to get used to them.. Hope she perks up soon. T
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2010 9:29pm (Mar 17th 2010)

Glad to hear he couldn't find anything seriously wrong with her Lee. Keep us updated on how she's getting on.
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2010 6:07am (Mar 18th 2010)

Get well soon Milly hen.
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2010 6:17pm (Mar 18th 2010) edited

Well Milly is worse today I gave her the drugs this morning I came in from work about 4.30pm and went straight down the garden to let them out for a couple of hours as i always do and Babs ran out but Milly stayed in the Run her crop was also empty so she is not eating a lot i mashed up some layers pellets this morning for her to make it easier to eat.
    I bought her in for her second lot of drugs this afternoon (See photos)and the noises that came from her stomach were unbelievable and then put her back in the garden but she is not moving about much at all i am doing what i can for her thats all i can do!!:bigsmile:
      18032010678 (600 x 450).jpg
      18032010676 (512 x 384).jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2010 6:55pm (Mar 18th 2010) edited

Lee you mention the noises from her stomach. She may well have sour crop did the vet check for that? You will have to upend her and hold her neck out straight and gently massage her crop to get the sour bacterial juices out. It is like you are making her sick. Then she will need Live yoghurt to get some good bacteria back into her crop. Some one on the forum said to hold them like a set of bagpipes and thats about right. I had to do it for poor Speckle hen, she was off colour and when her crop was manipulated I could hear all the sourness gurgling. It stinks something rotten so be careful not to get it on your trews
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2010 7:14pm (Mar 18th 2010)

NN How you doing???????
    He did not mention Sour crop but her crop is not swollen in any way and i was led to believe that it swells up I feel so sorry for her Sara has to hold her and i have to inject the drugs down her throat and she dose not like it!!!!!!!!
    I will get some live yogurt first thing tomorrow i do feed it to them regularly any way but have not for a while.
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2010 7:32pm (Mar 18th 2010)

The crop will feel soft and squishy Lee and her breath will possibly stink, Poor little girl don't you just wish we could understand what they are trying to tell us.
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2010 7:39pm (Mar 18th 2010) edited

After I had violated her with the drugs she just stud there and looked at me for ages it nearly made me cry.:cry:

But tomorrow is another day!!!!:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2010 7:45pm (Mar 18th 2010)

I know how you feel Lee. I am very mere hearted as well. Have a feel of her crop tomorrow morning before you give her the medicine. The vet will do it for you if you can not bring yourself to do it.
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2010 7:52pm (Mar 18th 2010)

Thanks NN for your support.look on the post your pictures i have put another picture there for you to reminisce!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2010 9:00pm (Mar 18th 2010)

Bless her, Lee. Are you taking her back to the vet?
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2010 9:11pm (Mar 18th 2010)

Poor Milly. She is very lucky to have you taking such good care of her Lee - I hope she pulls through. It sounds like its worth trying the thing with the crop - can't hurt can it? (Says the non-chicken owning forum member!)
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2010 7:28am (Mar 19th 2010)

Thanks Kate the trouble is you are always wondering in the back of your mind whether you are doing enough!!!! in case the inevitable happens and you think to your self Oh I wonder if i could have done that or that.
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2010 7:29am (Mar 19th 2010)

Time for her morning drugs then i am off to get some Live yogurt then off to work see ya later:seeya:
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2010 6:46pm (Mar 19th 2010) edited

Well Milly is a lot better this afternoon i put some Live yogurt in this morning and she lapped it up which was great for me to see as i was not sure she was eating anything!!!
    I have given her the evening drugs and she has been a lot more lively than she has of late so i think she is on the mend I hope
    :yay_jump:
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2010 6:49pm (Mar 19th 2010)

I'm so glad Lee; give her a henhug from us all! And a pat on the back for you...well nursed, that boy!
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2010 6:56pm (Mar 19th 2010)

Thanks CC these Girls are a worry!!!:huh: I have given her loads of hugs when she is standing on my kitchen top waiting for her drugs looking at me as if to say!!Here we go again he is going to stick that syringe down my throat again!!!!!!!!!!!:cursing:
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2010 8:15pm (Mar 19th 2010)

It can take a while for the antibiotics to get into the system and start working so I hope they're getting to the root of the problem now. Its such a relief when they perk up!
    • CommentTimeMar 21st, 2010 8:31pm (Mar 21st 2010)

Well Milly has gone down hill again after 4 days of drugs she is not really ware she should be she will have a good couple of hours and then she just stands there all fluffed up with her head down.
    Then this morning i brought her in for her morning drugs and i had a feel of her crop and it was very squishy so going back to a previous thread suggesting a sour crop i decided to flip her upside down over the sink and get it out much to Sara,s horror but out it came including some quite large bits of gravel which i no they eat to grind there food but these were quite big the liquid was not smelly at all and it could just have been water but it was not a nice color.
    So poor Milly after thinking i was trying to strangle her put her back in the Garden improved no end became much more lively after a few hours and was eating normally but still lapping up the Yogurt she even had some meal worms which she has not eaten for days.
    So we wait and see what tomorrow holds:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMar 21st, 2010 9:41pm (Mar 21st 2010)

I was so worried at where your message was going Lee! I'm so relieved that she perked up - will you have to do that again? I'm sure I've seen other posts where its taken a couple of attempts to get it right again. I hope she continues to improve.
    • CommentTimeMar 21st, 2010 9:56pm (Mar 21st 2010)

Oh Sorry Kate didn't mean to scare you thank you for your concern i may have to do it again but we have to do what we have to do!!!!!!!!even if its not nice i will keep you imformed:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd, 2010 9:13pm (Mar 22nd 2010)

How is she today Lee?
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2010 7:27am (Mar 23rd 2010)

Well Kate i have done a bit more research on the Internet and Yogurt and baytril don,t mix so as i believe it to be sour crop i have stopped the Baytril and just yogurt her crop yesterday was fine no Squishiness at all she even had a dust bath so all OK so far and seems more lively thank you :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2010 6:16pm (Mar 23rd 2010)

That's good news. Hope she continues to improve!
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2010 8:24pm (Mar 23rd 2010)

Well today when i got in she is a different Milly very much more active and getting back to normal she looks to be on the mend now.
    I think with all the knowledge we have on chickens you should always trust your instinct and go with it!!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2010 10:11pm (Mar 23rd 2010)

That is great news Lee! Baytril is the antibiotic of choice for rats too, but they do say not to mix it with dairy products. Don't know why but I tend to mix it with mashed potato and it goes down OK!
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2010 7:19am (Mar 24th 2010)

Thank you Kate its a great relief now i can see see she is getting better they are a worry!!
    I have had lots of Rats in the past Kate I love them they have such great personalities we used to let them out a lot and watch them carry all sorts of things across the room including a hair brush that was so funny to see but they can chew things though from what i remember is it the females that chew more than the males ?
    one of mine was a hooded Rat called Queenie
      161482_f520.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2010 9:50am (Mar 24th 2010)

aawww just beautiful Lee.
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2010 5:29pm (Mar 24th 2010)

What's a hooded rat? Is it a certain colouration?
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2010 6:45pm (Mar 24th 2010)

She was lovely Lee! Yes CC, Queenie would be an agouti hooded, because her head is that varigated brown colour. There are other terms for if the line of colouring down their back is solid or broken, or how far down the hood extends, but I can't remember.

My first rat, Patrick, used to love playing with a feather toy - the sort you get for cats - and would frequently try to carry it back into the cage. She had no chance, but it didn't stop her trying! They do have lovely personalities and are very much like a loyal dog, but with less fur on their tail! LOL!!
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2010 6:46pm (Mar 24th 2010)

Yes CC they have a different color around there head to the rest of there body.
      FancyRat2WCRt_AcS136.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2010 6:49pm (Mar 24th 2010)

That's a different rat isn't it Lee?
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2010 6:55pm (Mar 24th 2010) edited

Yes Kate thats Doris up to mischief as she always was!!!
    I want another rat now Kate!!!!:heart:
    I haven't had a Rat for about 10 years now.
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2010 7:03pm (Mar 24th 2010)

This was Patrick and Molly (both female, despite the names). Both died this time last year, 3 weeks apart.
      IMG_0735.JPG
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2010 7:04pm (Mar 24th 2010)

I don't think I'll have any more when the twins go. Its such heartache when they're ill, and their lives are so short. :( But they are the sweetest pets I've ever had!
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2010 7:04pm (Mar 24th 2010)

Doris was a great name! Any reason for it?????!
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2010 7:17pm (Mar 24th 2010) edited

Because rats are so funny i gave her a funny name to match!!!!!!
    But i know what you mean about a short life i was forever down the vets crying my eyes out because they had to be put down and it was always cancerous lumps!!! i was lucky to get 3 years out of a Rat.
    Patrick and Molly great names Kate they look so cute It really takes me back looking at these photos.
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2010 8:46pm (Mar 24th 2010)

So do you think you'll get any more? (Not one on its own - they need company of course!!!)
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2010 1:17am (Mar 25th 2010)

Gee guys they are so sweet, I'm getting all 'clucky' if that's the correct word. Rats seem to be quite intelligent and cheeky from what I can gather.

Kate I remember Patrick and Molly and how sad we were when they both passed to the rainbow bridge.
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2010 7:20am (Mar 25th 2010)

Well Kate I am certainly having a good think about it!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2010 7:38pm (Mar 25th 2010)

Cute pics! I had two hooded rats, Constance and Vowel, brown and beige in colour. We got Constance as a rescue-rat from my cousins' cousins - they kept her in a really small cage, on her own, and named her Rattigan...so it was somehow sorted that i'd 'adopt' her and we got her a friend, too.

How are the twins Kate? Any new pics??

I want rats again at some point, but did get put off by the last two we had which would bite at any opportunity...
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2010 10:43pm (Mar 25th 2010)

I took some photos a couple of weeks ago but they're still on the camera. When I put them on the pooter I'll post here too.

The twins are fine - VERY fat I'm afraid! Bitey rats are usually scared or not used to being handled and can get cage aggressive. Happy outside the cage but will bit anything that comes into it. The twins are fantastic because they were bred by a responsible person (not a rat factory!) and handled as babies. They prefer to be in the cage than sat with me though. :( But I still love them LOADS!

I know a couple of people in Aus with rats - isn't it hard to get them there? I know in Canada you're only allowed white rats.
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 11:02am (Mar 26th 2010)

Kate they seem to be fairly available here, our 2 local pets stores both sell them.

Kate I seem to remember you had a friend whose rat had a role in a movie 'Valentines day'? a scary one and I saw it last year and there she/he was sitting on something looking very cute and not scary at all!!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 9:02pm (Mar 26th 2010)

Aw, bless the twins :smile:

Well, one of our rats was sat with my dad, being petted (and doing that grating the teeth thing that rats do for purring!), and then for no reason at all it turned and lunged at him. So, we put it back and left them for a while. Then we got them out again, and they both just bit us at the first opportunity. And after that they bit as soon as we entered the cage to clean it, whenever we managed to get them out...I think it probably was a reaction to fear, just not sure why!

Saw some BEAUTIFUL rats today at Pets At Home in the Adoption section. They were sooooo gorgeous, i fell in love! One was brown and looked like a wild rat, and the other was a himalayan ratty...so lovely!
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 10:46pm (Mar 26th 2010)

It was a lady in America that owned the movie rat - I wonder if she still has him? Must ask sometime!

The noise they make with their teeth is called bruxing. Maybe they smelt something on his hands that scared them? Some rats are just biters and never enjoy being handled so you have to be very careful around them.
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2010 8:18pm (Mar 30th 2010)

Such super little rat pictures, makes me want one but with four cats the poor little thing wouldnt get a moments peace and quiet so it is out of the question.