• CommentTimeJun 14th, 2010 11:35pm (Jun 14th 2010)

Stag beetles have huge horn-like thingys. Maybugs are huge flying beetles. And they both chase me.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2010 8:15am (Jun 15th 2010)

CC, they most probably like you and want to come and say ''Hello''
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2010 4:28pm (Jun 15th 2010)

Um...I'd rather they wrote me a letter...or rang me...
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2010 8:42am (Jun 16th 2010)

:tooth::tooth:
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2010 10:13pm (Jun 17th 2010)

My friend's mom has just got 3 ex-batts and has named them after him and his 2 sisters (confusion will ensue I'm sure!) She said that if chicken Ben doesn't lay she'll just have to wring her scrawny neck. Human Ben thinks she's projecting her feelings for her son onto chicken Ben. We're going to have great fun teasing him with this one!

(PS she wouldn't really do that - it was for comedy purposes only!!)
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2010 10:09pm (Jul 23rd 2010)

Lee how are your Hissers doing? I bet they have grown since you got them.
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2010 1:05pm (Jul 24th 2010)

They look almost full-sized, if not full-sized...I wanna get some young ones so I can watch them moulting :smile:

Our hissers are in their new home now, and it looks awesome.
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2010 9:00pm (Jul 25th 2010)

How big do they get then Red ? They looked huge when you got them. When you get a spare moment maybe you would post a couple of pictures of them in their new home. I didn't realise they moulted.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2010 5:46pm (Jul 26th 2010)

I will post some pictures of my Hissers NN in the next couple of days.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2010 8:25pm (Jul 26th 2010)

About three - four inches long, and the width varies - Humdibar is a right fatty, whereas Zelda is quite slim!

I took some pics of them in their new home on my dad's phone, I'll have to ask him to stick 'em on the forum when I go back home :smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2010 9:20pm (Jul 26th 2010)

Oh goody it will be great to see your pictures, Lee and Red.
    • CommentTimeAug 9th, 2010 10:19pm (Aug 9th 2010)

We stayed in Liverpool for the weekend and visited Bug World again (if you ever in Liverpool make sure you go!!), we held the African Millepede, Hissing Cockroaches, a Thorny Stick Insect and a Tiger Snail (similar to GALS but they get even bigger - just think of how big Sid was!!)

Anyway, we were talking to the woman who worked there, and she offered us a Tiger snail because they quite often had too many - well, I almost said yes there and then!! They were beautiful!

And then I said the most horrifying words ever...

Scarlet: (to Lyle) I guess we have enough pets at the moment though, don't we?

Aaaaagh, what's happened to me?!?!?! :shocked:
    • CommentTimeAug 9th, 2010 10:20pm (Aug 9th 2010) edited

Tiger snail :)
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2010 7:24am (Aug 10th 2010)

I do not believe it Red!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did you fall and bang your head or something :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2010 5:02pm (Aug 10th 2010)

Couldn't he share with the hissers? :)
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2010 10:17pm (Aug 10th 2010)

It's probably because he'd need his own room in the house he's so big!!!
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2010 6:10pm (Aug 11th 2010)

CC, my dad said the exact same thing when I told him about it! :laugh:

My only concern would be that the hissers would eat the snail's shell for calcium and nutrients?? *shrug* There was a praying mantis living with hermit crabs in a museum display we went to in Liverpool...
    Kate, their shell can grow up to 30cm long! :gasp: And sometimes their shells are really cool orange with black stripes, hence their name the Tiger Snail...I don't know why some don't have those :confused:
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2010 10:37pm (Aug 11th 2010)

Would their environment have anything to do with their shell? Or diet? He's lovely though. 30cm is the size of a ruler!!! Wow!
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2010 3:25pm (Aug 12th 2010)

Bill and Ben are tiger snails, they are growing at a great rate of knots and are becomming very friendly and inquisitive now. I am real pleased with them. I will take some more pictures when I get more time to spare.
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2010 6:54pm (Aug 12th 2010)

30cm is a foot in real money! That's huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2010 12:26pm (Aug 13th 2010)

Uhuh! I think just as long as they are kept nutritionally healthy they will grow that size, Kate.
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2010 1:52pm (Aug 25th 2010)

Lee, what size is your terrarium? It is a 30x30x45?
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2010 7:24am (Aug 31st 2010)

Hi Red
    sorry its taken so long been on my hols
    My Terrarium is 45x45x45 are you getting one then ?
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2010 5:53pm (Aug 31st 2010) edited

No probs Lee, hope your hols were good!

I was considering getting a crested gecko before I got swayed over by the millipede, and crested's need at least a 30X30X45. It'd definitely be useful to have around :smile:
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2010 10:40pm (Aug 31st 2010) edited

I have been watching geckos all my holiday. They are sooooo pretty.
    Little skinny lizards too.
    The girls saw a small snake with a lizard in it's mouth.
    Cicadas are very pretty too, when you can get up to one! And noisy...
    • CommentTimeSep 1st, 2010 7:36am (Sep 1st 2010)

Brilliant Red i like loads of legs!!! as I call them the way they move is fascinating.
    • CommentTimeSep 17th, 2010 9:51pm (Sep 17th 2010)

Lee, how many hissers have you got? What will you do when they over-populate? We have eight hissers now somehow, gonna try and separate the males when they are adults (hopefully the babies will survive!) but just wondering what you plan to do if yours breed like crazy??

I think the pet shop we bought them from in Leeds will take some from us if we ever have too many...?
    • CommentTimeSep 19th, 2010 5:53pm (Sep 19th 2010)

I read if they are at a low temperature they do not breed!! so i have left my heat mat off.
    But i will check with my shop if they can take any babies on if they do have any.

I must say though red that they are very boring unless i get hold of them they do not ever come out from behind there bush!!!!!
    • CommentTimeSep 19th, 2010 7:55pm (Sep 19th 2010)

Hi Lee seems a long while since you been about for a chat. Hope all is ok with you and your family.
    I think they are fairly nocturnal by nature Lee. They are probably having a party once you turn the lights off !!!!
    • CommentTimeSep 20th, 2010 7:14am (Sep 20th 2010)

Hi NN yes it go,s like that sometimes doesn't it we are all fine my oldest son Max was 16 last Wednesday and had a party on Saturday which all went very well the theme was Toy Story so there was some great costumes.
    • CommentTimeSep 20th, 2010 12:32pm (Sep 20th 2010)

Posted By: leevauxGood point red!! I have 5 Hissers and i have not had this over population problem yet.

Yeah, I'm quite glad our heat mat broke at the moment seeing as Humdi somehow managed to have babies!!

Aw I love hissers for that - very low maintenance pets! Don't need walking, feeding much, and will tolerate being handled but don't need it :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeSep 20th, 2010 8:07pm (Sep 20th 2010)

Happy birthday to Max for last Wednesday Lee, the party sounds great fun especially with the toy story theme.
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2011 9:07pm (Apr 9th 2011)

Very sad news, Zelda has passed away :(

We found her today on her back, bless her...she'd been acting a lot older recently; she wasn't scuttling anymore, couldn't climb as well...she had a good life and was much loved. We are going to put the babies in with Humdi so she doesn't get lonely.

RIP Zelda.
      close4.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2011 10:58pm (Apr 9th 2011)

So sorry Red; how long do they live? Still, she had a wonderful life with you!
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2011 1:39am (Apr 10th 2011)

Dear Zelda, she had a very happy and cared for life even if not a long one.:heart:
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2011 5:59am (Apr 10th 2011)

Oh Red, I'm sorry to hear you lost Zelda. :face-sad: She did have a happy life with you and Lyle.
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2011 6:16pm (Apr 10th 2011) edited

We've moved the babies in with Humdi so she's not lonely...

CC, I'm not sure how long their average lifespan is. Information varies from 1.5 - 5 years so I haven't a clue. I think we had them for just over a year and I don't know how old they were when we got them...

The babies are over 6 months old now and two of them are almost fully grown. I hope Humdi's glad to have her children with her.
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2011 10:15pm (Apr 10th 2011)

I'm so sorry Red. Are they happy to be put in together like that or do you have to be careful incase they fight? (Do they fight?!) Sleep soundly Zelda. x
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2011 10:35pm (Apr 10th 2011)

Males will fight, females get along just fine. We can't sex the babies yet, not until they're properly fully grown, and then we'll separate the males...just hope there's at least one female to stay with Humdi, otherwise we'll have to keep a male with her and just watch out for egg cases...!

I hope the change isn't too stressful for her...surely it's better than her being alone...?
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2011 9:58pm (Apr 11th 2011)

I think it is always sad to see an animal of any type living alone without contact from its own species. Sadly that often happens because of the death (or escape!) of one, or because it can't live with its own species. So if that can be solved by giving them a new friend then yes, it is much better. I hope it works out!!
    • CommentTimeApr 12th, 2011 9:21pm (Apr 12th 2011)

Seems to be going well so far, and the majority of them are all sleeping in the corner with Humdi :)

A few of the babies have staked out other hidey holes, so I am suspecting they are males.