• CommentTimeMar 25th, 2010 11:26am (Mar 25th 2010) edited

In the UPC edition this month they had a column on a slaughter project that has taken place in Idaho at a school called The Community School. It's basically a project where 14 year-old students raise the chicks from hatch and, when they reach seven weeks old, the students themselves slaughter them.

This obviously raises quite a few issues, not only is this inhumane to the chicks, but there's also the dangers of the slaughter itself ~ how do the students & teachers know where and how to cut the chick so it dies quickest? The school is able to get away with this because chickens, classed as birds, are not protected under the Humane Methods of Slaughter Act and the Animal Welfare Act - so they can be slaughtered by anyone, with no specific knowledge at all.

Basically, the article gives you a snail-mail address, email addresses and the school's website so that people can get in touch and urge the school not to carry this project on (it's the first time they have ever done it).

I'm gonna email them, just saying there are plenty of videos on the 'net that show the realities of animal slaughter, and surely a much better idea for a chicken-based project would be to hatch the chicks, raise them and let them live a happy life outside, therefore teaching the students about happy free-range hens producing tasty free-range eggs? And you could compare this with the life-cycle of a battery hen or broiler chick, too. And even rescue some ex-bats.

Anyway, so yes. Here are some articles on the project:

And if anyone wants to send a letter or email, here are all the methods of contact:

Andrew Jones-Wilkins, Headmaster,
    Naomi Goldberg & Scott Runkel, 8th Grade teachers,
    The Community School
    181 Dollar Road
    PO Box 2118
    Sun Valley, Idoha 83353

Emails:
    Awilkins@communityschool.org
    Naomi_goldberg@hotmail.com

Website:
    www.communityschool.org

Feel free to help, the more emails they get the more likely they are to listen :001_smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2010 11:49am (Mar 25th 2010)

Copy of the email I sent:

Posted By: RedHello,

I am joint-owner (with my dad) of the website http://hencam.co.uk/

On it you can watch the lives of our two Black Sex Link hens as they go about their daily lives and, even though they are now seven years old, lay the odd egg or two! I recently lost a very special chicken called Milly, whom we had since she was ten weeks old. She was very cute and loved to be cuddled, bathed and brought inside the house to watch television with the family. In the past we have hatched out chicks under Milly, and also hatched out our own chicks in the incubator and then raised them, so have quite a knowledge of chickens.

I am just emailing in response to the United Poultry Concerns article about the Poultry Project / Food Unit. It horrifies me that these chicks were raised with love and care, and then were slaughtered at the hands of your 14-year-old students. Why do you need to kill animals in order to show them the reality of eating meat? Could you not just show them the videos of such slaughters on the internet (such as http://viva.org.uk/video/index.htm ), but then in actual fact teach them about how a happy healthy free-range chicken lives?

Could the project not be more tailored towards the egg aspect of the chicken, in which case you could hatch the chicks and keep them in an outdoor run and show the children what affectionate, loving and happy animals they can be? And I'm sure the students would love caring for the animals and collecting the eggs too!

http://viva.org.uk/ is also useful for educating your students on a vegetarian and vegan lifestyle ~ you could bring in vegan / vegetarian foods for them to try, or even help them cook their own vegan / vegetarian meals. I'm a vegan, have been for over four years now since I was sixteen, and it is so easy to find and make tasty vegan meals.

I have included a photo of Milly having a cuddle, just as evidence of how affectionate chickens can be!

Thank you taking the time to read this,

Scarlet
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2010 1:33pm (Mar 25th 2010)

Isn't it true that the vast majority of violent criminals / murderers start off their 'career' carrying out animal cruelty - way to go Idaho. :\
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2010 7:25pm (Mar 25th 2010)

Yeah........great thing to teach fourteen-year-olds!
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2010 10:49pm (Mar 25th 2010)

Yes Neil, that was proved by a recent study. But then some American states allow you to walk around the supermarket with a gun strapped to your hip so we shouldn't be surprised. Brilliant letter Red.

My granddaughter's nursery are going to hatch out some chicks so that the kids can see how they grow and develop, and are looking for homes for them to go to. I've declined!!
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 11:17am (Mar 26th 2010)

Red that is a nightmare project what are they thinking, thanks for bringing it to our attention. I will definitely send them a burst!
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 6:43pm (Mar 26th 2010)

This is Horrific!!!!!!!!!! I have never heard of something so pointless!!!!!!!! Especially to such impressionable 14 year old students totally wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead: :grrrrrr:
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 7:37pm (Mar 26th 2010)

Disgusting and sick.
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 11:05pm (Mar 26th 2010)

This is how children should be meeting chicks - my granddaughter Caitlyn holding one of the nursery chicks. Excuse the dirty face (typical 2 year old!) and terrible eyes! That's camera phones for you!
      caitlyn with chick.JPG
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 11:07pm (Mar 26th 2010)

Caitlyn told me that chicks say "cheep". One of the parents has taken home a chick with a damaged leg. My son was trying to get Caitlyn to say "pleeeeze have a chicken nanny" but she was too busy asking for a yoghurt!
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2010 7:19am (Mar 27th 2010)

Thats A lovely photo Kate so sweet :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2010 7:37am (Mar 27th 2010)

beautiful pic Kate.
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2010 8:14pm (Mar 30th 2010)

Oh Kate she is so adorable. what a little sweetheart she is and how lovely she only wanted a yoghurt.
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2010 9:11pm (Mar 30th 2010)

I collected Caitlyn from nursery yesterday so got to see the chicks myself. I was chatting to some of the nursery nurses about them. They are provided by a company who bring the eggs, heat lamp, bedding, food, and a glass, er, vivarium I suppose. There are 7 chicks and the nursery keep them for 2 weeks. They can then either give them away to good homes or return them to the company who keep them or sell them themselves. It costs "around a couple of hundred pounds" she said. Wow! Inventive way to make money!!!!! If I can remember the name of the company I'll post it.
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2010 1:30pm (Apr 8th 2010)

Wow that's really good quality for a camera phone! :gasp:

Such a cute pic as well ^__^

I WANT A CHICK!!!! :laugh:
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2010 1:34pm (Apr 8th 2010)

All together everybody -

"I WANT A CHICK!!!! "
    "I WANT A CHICK!!!! "
    "I WANT A CHICK!!!! "
    "I WANT A CHICK!!!! "
    "I WANT A CHICK!!!! "
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2010 5:31pm (Apr 8th 2010)

"I WANT A CHICK!!!!"
    "I WANT A CHICK!!!!"
    "I WANT A CHICK!!!!"
    "I WANT A CHICK!!!!"
    "I WANT A CHICK!!!!"
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2010 6:01pm (Apr 8th 2010)

LOUDER!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2010 6:31pm (Apr 8th 2010)

I don't know how to type any louder...:cry:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 1:59pm (Apr 9th 2010)

Red, thanks for posting that.
    I'll be sending them an e-mail too.
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 7:32pm (Apr 9th 2010)

No probs Init, and thank you :001_smile:

CC, putting < b > [type something here] < / b > without the spaces will give you bold!
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 7:44pm (Apr 9th 2010)

"I WANT A CHICK!!!!"
    "I WANT A CHICK!!!!"
    "I WANT A CHICK!!!!"
    "I WANT A CHICK!!!!"
    "I WANT A CHICK!!!!"

Thanks, Red! :D
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 9:58pm (Apr 9th 2010)

Hurray, well done! :hurray:
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2010 8:57am (Apr 10th 2010)

Now where are my glasses?
    Ah yes, can hear you loud and clear!
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2010 8:11pm (Apr 10th 2010)

Ha ha that is so funny Ollie.
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 11:50am (May 25th 2010)

I WANT A CHICK TOO!
    (am I too late for this? Cute pic though!)
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 4:17pm (May 25th 2010)

As The Henmaster, you can HAVE a chick!
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 10:08pm (May 25th 2010)

Yes you could have two if you like we don't mind !!!
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2010 12:01am (May 26th 2010)

My dad's being ruled by my mum ~ he's been fighting for two new chicks for ages, but she says no :P
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2010 8:36pm (May 26th 2010)

Tell him he needs to hand back his man-card! :biggrin: