• CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 8:09pm (Apr 9th 2010) edited

Two weeks ago Grandad North got me a super vivarium to cheer me up because I had been unwell. He knew I was sad at loosing Fluffy the giant African land snail last year and wanted me to get another. I managed to rally round enough to get out as I was so excited and Jay took me to the aquatic and reptile store on the Friday.
      vivarium.jpg
      guilty.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 8:20pm (Apr 9th 2010) edited

They had loads of lovely lizards and Iguanna's there all beautifully kept. One came over to have a good look at me he had green hands that looked as if he had his oven gloves on !!!
    I could not see the snails so had to ask. Poor little things they were in a tiny tub shoved out of the way with no food or cuttle fish and were well into their shells. I felt a bit worried that they were non to well. The lad sprayed some water on them and some came out of their shells. I decided to have the two slightly bigger ones. I got them a heat pad as well you can see it at the back of the Vivarium.
      the fluffies.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 8:25pm (Apr 9th 2010)

Twins! Aren't they handsome! :heart: O congratulations, NN, they're gorgeous! More pics! (Although I love the communal cucumber!)
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 8:27pm (Apr 9th 2010) edited

We came straight home with them, the poor things were so hungry they ate some of the damp tissue in the bottom of their little carry home tub. They were so small that when we put them on a slice of cucumber it dwarfed them. They have eaten so much since it is amazing for such tiny little things. They really have grown already and tuck into lettuce, cucumber, apple, grapes and chinese pear so far.
      chomp.jpg
      chompers.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 8:30pm (Apr 9th 2010) edited

I am so pleased with them. Grandad North named them as he couldn't come to choose them with me, but they are known as the Fluffies collectivaly !!! He was going to call them Rolls and Royce cos they glide along but forgot and started calling them Bill and Ben which I like better.
      Img_0585xx.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 8:36pm (Apr 9th 2010)

They are Tiger Giant land snails that originate from Ghana although these were born in this country. They have come on so well after the sad state they were in. I soon got them cleaned up and seem to be more than happy in their new palace. I love the guilty look on Sootz face in the top picture when I had them out for a photo session.
      cutie.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 8:43pm (Apr 9th 2010) edited

I hope you will all enjoy watching them growing with me. I will add some more photos as they start to grow and do more things at the moment they are both happy staying on the bottom of the viv.
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 9:56pm (Apr 9th 2010)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :heartsabove:

I said to Lyle I hoped you'd got some more giant snailies!! They are so lovely, and i'm glad you rescued them from their rubbish former home. Oh they are so cute!
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 11:47pm (Apr 9th 2010)

They are lovely NN, and have landed right on their, er, muscle(!) to have you as their new mommy! Maybe you should call the shop and tell them they need to improve their snails' home.

Sootz does look guilty, like he's been caught with slime on his whiskers!
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2010 9:42am (Apr 10th 2010)

They are lovely NN I had some snails to they are great to watch when they are sliding across the side of the tank watching all the muscle moving on there bodies and don,t they grow so fast and big!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2010 12:31pm (Apr 10th 2010)

Ohh NN this is your surprise!! love them they are so tiny but I magaine they will grow quite quickly.
    So glad you rescued them, thay are ex-bat snails!!!!
    We need a little snail vanillacon.
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2010 8:10pm (Apr 10th 2010)

Thank you all I knew you would be as pleased as I am. Sootz had his head in the vivarium Kate, you know what he is like and doesn't like to miss anything. He can not quite work out what is living in there at the moment as they are so small.
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2010 11:34pm (Apr 10th 2010)

It would be so funny if he brought his head out and had one perched on the end of his nose NN! Keep the camera handy!
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2010 7:12pm (Apr 11th 2010)

Ha ha yes it sure would be funny Kate. I had already shouted at him as I only crossed the room to get my camera out of the bag and he gave me that look and just continued to get his snout in the viv. I did have to laugh at his expression and was pleased when I managed to snap him after shouting at him for the second time.
    Sootz does like to help with every thing if I need him to or not, he can be a proper pest at times especially when I am trying to sew and he sits right on the fabric flicking his tail in my face.

Bill and Ben are having a good sleep today as they have eaten so much and given their cuttle fish a good hammering. They are still content to stay on the bottom and not slide up the walls.
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2010 8:20pm (Apr 14th 2010)

Well the little guys now have banana and sweet potato to add to their list of tried and enjoyed menu. They have now buried themselves for a good sleep up near their heat pad. So are probably having a bit of a growing session !!
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2010 8:23pm (Apr 14th 2010)

OR they could be making babies NN!!!:lol:
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2010 8:30pm (Apr 14th 2010)

NO not yet they stay right away from each other and are to young yet. But my Koi are looking forward to some tasty snail eggs !!
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2010 8:35pm (Apr 14th 2010)

Yes I remember my snails there mating was quite disgusting if i recall!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2010 8:37pm (Apr 14th 2010)

Poor things no privacy in glass houses for them
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2010 8:42pm (Apr 14th 2010)

No not at all but that is nature i suppose.
    I am going to inquire about getting some Hissing Cock roaches the same as Red has i think they are fascinating i still have my heat pad from my snails will have to get a new Vivarium though.
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2010 8:48pm (Apr 14th 2010)

Thats real nice Lee, is that instead of a budgie? I think my cats would always be at them if I had some. I am real pleased with my new vivarium Fluffy my last snail only had a plasic one and it was hard to clean with out scratching it.
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2010 8:56pm (Apr 14th 2010) edited

Well NN as i said in a previous thread i am revamping the garden at the mo for my Ex Batts and later on in the year i am going to build an Avery in the Garden to house the Budgies in my Dad used to Keep Finches,Love Birds, Budgies,Cock a tails and a few Quails and i really enjoyed them just as i do my Chickens now.
    Your glass Vivarium looks great NN i will get a glass one as well because of the scratching to.
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2010 9:01pm (Apr 14th 2010)

Oh that will be lovely Lee, Our neighbour years ago used to have an aviary with several different types of birds in it. He had tiny quails for the bottom and they were just so cute. My uncle used to have Guinea fowls they were lovey birds and would roam around with his hens. I would have more animals if I could my Dad always used to say I should have been a farmers wife I think he was about right, but dont tell Grandad North I said so. ha ha
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2010 9:04pm (Apr 14th 2010)

I no what you mean NN oh well time for Traffic Cops NN take care speak to you soon:wink1:
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2010 9:06pm (Apr 14th 2010)

I am going to watch NCIS I like that nighty night sweet dreams
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2010 7:48pm (May 31st 2010) edited

I thought it was about time I did some update pictures of the Fluffies for you. They are growing well and are a tad less frightened now, when they come out as they are getting to know it will be something nice to try. They adore cos lettuce as you can see.
    This is Bill
      bill.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2010 7:50pm (May 31st 2010)

This is Ben he has the smoother shell or else I wouldn't be able to tell them apart
      Ben.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2010 7:50pm (May 31st 2010)

OOo, like a big humbug! What a handsome chap.
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2010 7:51pm (May 31st 2010) edited

Here they are together enjoying their breakfast
      bill and Ben.jpg
      Breakfast.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2010 7:53pm (May 31st 2010)

Hi CC yes they are humbug coloured but I wouldn't fancy sucking one Ha ha
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2010 9:32pm (May 31st 2010)

Lovely pics NN! I love Cos lettuce too - yummy! (Prefer mine minus the snail though!)
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2010 1:27am (Jun 1st 2010)

Aw so cute NN!! :heartsabove:
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2010 7:44am (Jun 2nd 2010)

They are doing great NN well done lovely colors.:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2010 8:34pm (Jun 5th 2010)

They have started to go up the sides of their Vivarium now not to far as yet though !!!
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2010 4:27pm (Jul 22nd 2010)

Bill and Ben have really started to grow at a great rate of knots this past month, They are bigger than Fluffy was when he died. I took some pictures of them this morning after they had had their weekly shower under the tap. I have a big piece of bubble wrap that I spread out so they can have a change of scenery after their shower they really enjoy that and are not scared to be out of their shells. It doesn't seem possible that they both fitted on to one slice of cucumber at the beginning of April.
      Img_4265.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2010 4:32pm (Jul 22nd 2010) edited

The first picture is of Ben he likes to eat the cucumber seeds first. Bill prefers the green rind best. Reminds me of the Jack sprat rhyme !!!
      Img_4268.jpg
      Img_4269.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2010 4:35pm (Jul 22nd 2010) edited

One of their favourite treats at the moment is the male flowers from the pumpkins/courgettes or butternut squash plants. They will leave what ever they are doing or eating to hurry over the eat them first.
      Img_4272.jpg
      Img_4281.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2010 4:58pm (Jul 22nd 2010)

I would never have thought of giving them flowers to eat, NN...but they look as though they're enjoying them!
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2010 5:20pm (Jul 22nd 2010)

Their country cousins eat all the flowers in my garden!
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2010 5:24pm (Jul 22nd 2010)

Ha ha thats right Ollie they do in my garden as well !! Thats what gives me the ideas about what to give Bill and Ben for a treat.
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2010 6:43pm (Jul 22nd 2010)

Brilliant photo,s NN you do take a mean photo!!! and those boys are looking superb!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2010 10:32pm (Jul 22nd 2010)

They've grown so much!! Is one bigger than the other, or is it the perspective of the (wonderful) photos?
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2010 10:05pm (Jul 23rd 2010)

Yes Kate, Ben is slightly smaller, well spotted.
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2010 8:15pm (Aug 26th 2010) edited

Ben had been sculking under the peat in the Viv for a couple of days and as it was bath day I dug him out. I was real suprised to discover that Ben had been busy laying eggs so Ben is now Bengemina !!!!

She soon tucked into a courgette flower gobbling it down with glee. They are getting really big now. When I look back and see the pictures of them both on a slice of cucumber in April this year it is amazing. Here is a picture of Bill taken while Bengemina was busy eating her flower. Of course we had to have one of the cats supervising !!!
      Bill.jpg
      bill2.jpg
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2010 10:10pm (Aug 26th 2010)

I suppose that explains why Ben(gemina) was slightly smaller! Bill is HUGE! What will you do with the babies? I don't suppose you can neuter a snail so will this be an ongoing thing?!
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2010 11:15pm (Aug 26th 2010)

Snails don't have a sex - they're boys and girls, so they could both get each other pregnant :bigsmile:

Boy NN they have grown a lot!!
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2010 8:44pm (Aug 27th 2010)

yes they are quite heavy as well, it is amazing how fast they have grown. They are quite happy to be handled as well.
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2010 11:29pm (Aug 27th 2010)

I didn't know that! No wonder there are so many snails around!!!
    • CommentTimeAug 28th, 2010 10:31pm (Aug 28th 2010)

That is why it is illegal to have them in some countries Kate.
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2010 4:22pm (Aug 29th 2010)

I didn't know that either!!
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2010 8:29am (Aug 30th 2010)

NN Ben is Massive now and i can see you keep his shell nice and clean he looks lovely.
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2010 3:56pm (Aug 30th 2010)

Thank you Lee yes they are both big and are so easy to keep clean. They love comming out of their Viv and having a tepid shower under the tap once a week. Their shells really gleam. I have a big sheet of bubble wrap so they can have a change of scenery and a good slither about while I clean the rest of the viv.
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2010 8:37pm (Aug 30th 2010)

How often do you clean their viv, NN? I was never really sure with Sid as I'd read so many different things on the internet so I just did it when it got a bit sloppy and the soil wasn't so fresh anymore. Do you do it every 'set amount of time,' or just as and when?
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2010 6:53pm (Aug 31st 2010)

Their shells are so shiny; do you oil them?? Or is it Mr Sheen...? :)
    • CommentTimeSep 1st, 2010 9:43pm (Sep 1st 2010)

Hi Red, I use one of those microfibre cloths on the glass every day with just plain water and remove any poo or past it food. Then once a week they come out and have a nice tepid bath under the tap and they have some time out on their bubble wrap mat. I take all their food and cuttles out and give the substrate a good riddle through. I replace the grape vine cuttings I give them to hide under and lightly scrub the cuttles. I only replace the substrate every six to eight weeks. I don't over wet the viv so it doesn't get sloppy so stays fresh longer. I do give them a warm water misting every day, but not a heavy spray. I hope this answers your question. I agree it can be confusing as every one says different things, I just do what I think is best and they seem to be happy and are not afraid of me. I have their heat pad on again now as it has been chilly at night.
    • CommentTimeSep 1st, 2010 9:46pm (Sep 1st 2010)

No I dont use any thing on their shells but clean tepid water CC. They certainly are much more shiny that Fluffy was, although they are a different breed to him so I don't know if that makes a difference.
      fluffies.jpg
    • CommentTimeSep 1st, 2010 9:50pm (Sep 1st 2010) edited

You can just see the stripes starting to come through on their shells now. They have a large piece of courgette that has turned into a marrow. sweet potato, Cos leaves and an apple today.
      1.jpg
      2.jpg
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2010 5:53pm (Sep 2nd 2010)

They eat far more healthily than I do!
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2010 7:49pm (Sep 2nd 2010)

Ha ha they do ok for eats that's for sure !!!
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2010 9:30pm (Sep 2nd 2010)

They look great! Is it true that their eyes are on the end of the stalks, or is that a fallacy? Do they sleep inside their shells? Do they come to you when you put your hand in (do they know their names?!) Lotsa questions!!!!
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2010 10:22pm (Sep 2nd 2010)

Yep their eyes are on stalks - if you look real close at a snail you will see the black dots which are their pupils! And yes they sleep inside their shell most of the time for safety, although Sid used to get lazy and leave himself hanging out sometimes :)
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2010 9:06am (Sep 3rd 2010)

Oooh! "Flasher Sid"
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2010 8:28pm (Sep 3rd 2010) edited

They have two sets of tentacles Kate, the long top ones are the eye stalks and they can move them around independantly of each other, They don't seem to have the best of eye sight. The second set are the sensory tentacles.
    Mine don't fully retract into their shells for sleeping, I think they feel fairly safe. They don't miss much and usually come out to see what I have been doing in their viv. They don't go onto your hand as say a hamster would. They are happy to be picked up and handled, you have to be careful of the new growing shell though and it is best to wet your hands first as it is more comfortable for them. They don't answer to names as a cat or dog would. but they do sense when someone different is there that they don't know.
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2010 10:12pm (Sep 3rd 2010)

Yes, I can see a small dot on the stalk in the last picture NN posted. I do find this all very interesting. I thought snails just crawled and ate lettuce, but am learning so much more!
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2010 8:54pm (Sep 4th 2010)

Having Fluffy my first snail made me interested in them Kate I hadn't really thought about them before that. I did used to love the yellow and brown shelled ones when I was little they always came out after rain. My brother and I used to have races with them !! My Nan didn't like us picking them up and said they were dirty things so apart from crunching them underfoot when they had eaten my vegetables that was about it. I must admit I really do enjoy having Bill and Ben. They are such cute little things.
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2010 10:11pm (Sep 4th 2010)

Do you feel guilty for all those snails you crushed?!!!! LOL!! My friend puts them in beer. She says they still die, but at least they're drunk and happy when they go! (Or is that slugs? Suppose it works with both).
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2010 2:03pm (Sep 5th 2010)

No I don't feel guilty about them really Kate as that is in the past now, I did feel really sorry for one I accidently stepped on the other day though as I know better now. I just send them on a flying lesson over the back fence into a few bushes that are behind my garden. There is a foot path and a few bushes there so they are not in any ones garden.
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2010 4:55pm (Sep 5th 2010)

• CommentTimeSep 5th, 2010 6:02pm (Sep 5th 2010) edited

Garden snail, 0.03 mph (From Wiki something)
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2010 8:27pm (Sep 5th 2010)

Ha ha thats a good one CC, and Ollie.
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2010 8:43pm (Sep 5th 2010)

Nice one girls!!!!!!! :cheer:
    • CommentTimeSep 6th, 2010 7:05pm (Sep 6th 2010)

Posted By: chief chickenA man hears a knock at the door and answers it to find a snail on his doorstep. He picks it up and throws it down the garden. A year later there's another knock on the door. It's the snail. 'What did you do that for?' he asked.

My dad used to tell me that when I was a little chiddler...
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd, 2010 8:12pm (Oct 23rd 2010)

I have some snail eggs if you would like them Red, let me know asap please.
      snail.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd, 2010 10:36pm (Oct 23rd 2010)

Lovely pic NN!

I'm gonna have to say no NN :face-crying: :face-crying: :face-crying:

Absolutely gutted, but I really can't take them...what with Ron, Boggley, Pearl, the locusts and two tanks of hissers....very sorry because I would have loved them. Thank you so much for the offer though.
    • CommentTimeOct 24th, 2010 3:59pm (Oct 24th 2010)

She hasn't got any eggcups small enough anyway, NN...:tooth:
    • CommentTimeOct 24th, 2010 7:10pm (Oct 24th 2010)

No probs Red, it was just that I promised to let you know when I next had some as you were wondering if to have another snail or a centipede if I remember corectly. There will be more eventually if you change your mind anyhow.

Ha ha CC I haven't either thats why I was hoping she had !!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeOct 24th, 2010 7:12pm (Oct 24th 2010)

I forgot to say Bill and Ben are still growing although they have slowed up a bit at the moment. I will get more pictures when I get time. I am a tad busy at the mo.
    • CommentTimeOct 24th, 2010 11:22pm (Oct 24th 2010)

Aw thanks NN! Maybe next year ;)
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 9:53pm (Feb 25th 2011) edited

Bill and Ben woke up last week that's after a two month sleep. They have been a tad nervous drawing their eyes in when they sense any body is about. They have been getting used to things again so I thought it was time to get them out for a nice bath and a little out of house time. They were everso good and really enjoyed their bath staying out of their shells the whole time. I got some pictures for you to see how they are doing.
      fluffies.jpg
      fluffies 1.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 9:55pm (Feb 25th 2011) edited

They had a big yummy treat to take back to their house with them
      fluffies 2.jpg
      fluffies 3.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 10:11am (Feb 27th 2011)

They look great NN getting a nice size now!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 2:00pm (Feb 27th 2011)

Hi Lee, you ok ? yes they are a nice size and are quite heavy. They wouldn't stretch out fully, I kept moving the water melon hoping they would !!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 4:45pm (Feb 27th 2011)

Lazy boys! :D Handsome though...
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 4:58pm (Feb 27th 2011)

I am excellent NN thank you for asking had a lovely long weekend 4 days very nice!!!!!!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 12:40pm (Feb 28th 2011)

They are looking good NN!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 9:26pm (Feb 28th 2011)

Thank you Red they have both dug them selves in again now, it was a bit colder today so I don't know if they will sleep again.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 1:13am (Mar 1st 2011)

Bless them, it is colder today. We used to wake Sid up at least once a week with warm water so I could check on him...he didn't appreciate it :tooth:
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 7:43pm (Mar 1st 2011)

Oh poor old Sid what are you like !!! Mine like a good sleep, they have woken up again and have been quite busy. I was suprised with the water melon as they prefer the hard outside green bit to the nice red juicy bit. I had to give them a new piece today as they made short work of the first bit during the night.
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2011 5:51pm (Mar 2nd 2011) edited

Bless them. It's weird how little the hissers eat after owning a GAL and locusts as my other insects, really, they used to eat loads for their size. The hissers barely touch their food.
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2011 8:14pm (Mar 2nd 2011)

That's amazing as the size of them you would think they ate loads. Bill and Ben soon scoff their food sometimes you can hear them munching away. I am often amazed at the huge holes they dig and can go down real deep as well.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2011 12:19am (Mar 3rd 2011)

Hmm, I remember Sid always used to try and eat me...kinda tickled! You can hear the hissers eating in the night sometimes too, it's just such a pitiful amount you don't notice it!!