• CommentTimeApr 14th, 2010 7:28pm (Apr 14th 2010) edited

I have just had a look at our Derby falcon and she is sitting on four eggs at the moment. I have started a new thread as we all enjoyed watching them last year and we are bound to have a few newbies that would like to watch them with us

4478804596_a7b5cb7d74_m.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2010 8:55pm (Apr 14th 2010)

She is a beautiful bird Lee, it was good last year watching them feed the chicks, both parents took part so very interesting.
    • CommentTimeApr 15th, 2010 5:37am (Apr 15th 2010)

right now she is trying to sleep it looks like, but she seems disturbed by something.
    • CommentTimeApr 15th, 2010 8:06pm (Apr 15th 2010)

I have just had another peep at her and she opened her eyes and looked right back at me so it seemed. Daft thing is it made me jump.
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 7:32pm (Apr 16th 2010)

Just had a look at the Falcon she was shifting around turning her eggs. I saw two of them she has settled back around them again now.
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 8:25pm (Apr 16th 2010)

Ha NN i saw the 2 of them as well i think they were changing over egg duty it was great and i think 4 eggs?
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 8:27pm (Apr 16th 2010)

oh I missed the bird change over bit but yes there are four eggs. I had to go out and put my girls to bed and get the laundry in.
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 8:31pm (Apr 16th 2010)

I don,t no which is which though NN.
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 8:32pm (Apr 16th 2010)

No me neither Lee.
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2010 1:55pm (Apr 17th 2010)

Had a quick look at the falcons while I had my lunch and there is a lovely blog and video in the diary that is just so interesting. Well worth a read and look.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 7:24pm (Apr 18th 2010)

I just checked in to see the falcon and the eggs were left all alone. I switched to the other camera and one bird was just sitting in the other side of the nesting shelf. After what seemed like ages it hopped on the edge and was having a good look all around. Then relief as the other bird came back and is now sitting on the eggs.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 8:07pm (Apr 18th 2010)

If I remember rightly, I think last year we were told that one has a spot on cheek to tell the sex. Can't remember which one though!
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 8:39pm (Apr 18th 2010)

How can we find out ollie it would be interesting to know!!:smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 8:54pm (Apr 18th 2010)

Oh thats interesting Ollie. I didnt know how to tell them apart I will see if I can find out.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 9:27pm (Apr 18th 2010)

Had a good scout round on Google but cna't see anything really usefull, only -the female is much bigger than the male

Traditionally, the female has been known as the “falcon” and the male as the “tercel.”

The Derby folks may still have last year's chat on their site. I'll have a look.

By the way I am hearing a fox amongst all the night noise on HenCam.

The other night I heard an owl at my own home but just the Whooooo bit, the other one that does the ToWhit must have been too far away for me to hear.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 9:32pm (Apr 18th 2010)

I had a good look as well Ollie but only found out the same info as you. We get an owl sometimes but I have never managed to see it even though it comes real close to the house.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 9:50pm (Apr 18th 2010)

I used to have a Little Owl come and sit on a telegraph pole outside the house but I have moved since then.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2010 9:55pm (Apr 18th 2010)

Oh that is lovely Ollie. My eldest son has them living in the trees behind the stables and do you know I never get to seen one !! Of course he sees them all the time. I did get to photo one when we went to Brodsworth Hall. I screeched "stop the car" to Jay when we were going up the drive and scared the poor lad half to death. but managed to get the picture. I did post it on here some where.
    • CommentTimeApr 29th, 2010 11:11am (Apr 29th 2010)

Seems like the peregrine eggs are into hatching mode.
    Don't miss it!
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2010 9:08pm (Apr 30th 2010) edited

Getting exciting now I saw her get off the eggs earlier and if you look careful you can see the tiny hole the chick has made
      4560384062_c2880e0e6e.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2010 10:25pm (Apr 30th 2010)

What a great picture NN! Did you take it - you should send it to them, they'd love that!
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2010 3:16pm (May 1st 2010)

The first chick hatched at lunchtime today.
    I just got a glimps of a bundle of white fluff under her breast a couple of minutes ago.
    My eyes are glued to the screen now waiting for the other parent to bring food.
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2010 4:11pm (May 1st 2010)

Oh wow Ollie I am so glad you have been the first to have seen it. I have been out in the garden all day so haven't tuned in. She is looking fidgety now so I am hoping for a wee glimpse as well.
    No Kate I didn't take the picture I just snagged it from their blog and trimmed it so you can see the little hole easier.
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2010 4:36pm (May 1st 2010)

I have had a several teasing little glimpses of the chick. I am wondering if another is hatching as she is very fidgety and keeps having a look under her herself.
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2010 4:44pm (May 1st 2010)

Yes I am sure another has hatched she is messing about with a rather large piece of shell at the moment and I have seen the chick, it got out for a moment before she shoved it back under herself
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2010 5:59pm (May 1st 2010)

The Derby folks are asking that anyone reports to them when first feed attempt is made and then time the chick actually takes food.
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2010 6:18pm (May 1st 2010)

The parent was off the nest and just seen three eggs and one chick.
    Baby looking up at parent as it arrived but parent didn't offer food.
    Wish I knew which parent it is...
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2010 10:51pm (May 3rd 2010)

Now all four eggs have hatched and we have four delightfully fluffy little chicks.
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2010 7:02pm (May 4th 2010)

Oh Ollie, they are so beautiful and haven't they done well to hatch all four.
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2010 5:59pm (May 7th 2010)

The chicks are just so very cute and are feeding well, they are growing real fast as well.
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2010 12:46pm (May 15th 2010)

One of the chicks has died. They don't know why and are hoping it wasn't anything infectious.

The birds are using the other side of their platform now. Would have like to have seen how they did the change over.
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2010 8:13pm (May 15th 2010)

Poor little thing, I would have liked to see them move to the other side as well Ollie. They grow so quick and are quite strong and very alert. I was watching them yesterday when the adult was away and they were all looking about for it to come back.
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2010 8:50pm (May 15th 2010)

How sad. As if they don't have enough problems surviving in this world. I hope the remaining chicks will be OK.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2010 11:34am (May 16th 2010)

Interesting situation.
    One chick is the other side of the "nest".
    Another is having a peek over the edge.
    Certainly exploring now and keeping their parents on their toes.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2010 11:45am (May 16th 2010)

I've opened two windows on screen to watch both sides.
    'Mum' is trying to shepherd the babies into the same side using her wings.
    At least she has got them all together in a bunch now.
    There are some very big feathers in there, wonder what they had for breakfast?
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2010 9:54pm (May 16th 2010)

I have a very quick look every now and then, but worry so much about the chicks and what might happen to them. I'me very grateful for your updates Ollie.
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2010 9:58pm (May 18th 2010)

Seems that another chick is not at all well.
    I didn't like the comment on their diary - which they thought was OK.

Quote- "Although it's sad to see a chick not making it, and doubly so probably for the children watching, I feel we should be careful not to react as though they were human babies."

It is setting humans on a higher plane and I don't agree with that.
    Maybe it is the midwife in me?
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2010 11:20pm (May 18th 2010)

I agree Ollie - all life is precious. (That is what you're saying isn't it?) A vet once told me that there was no point in operating on a rat when you can buy another one for a tenner. I thought that was a disgraceful thing to say in his position. It would be like a paediatrician saying its not worth trying to save a prem baby because you could have another one and it'd cost the NHS less money.

Watching the chicks hatch and grow and be taken care of by their parents is wonderful, and then seeing them fade and die is terrible. Maybe it will help children to better understand the cycle of life.

I thought the midwife in you would be inclined to put human life at the top of the scale?
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2010 11:43pm (May 18th 2010)

The midwife in me makes me realise that ALL life is precious.

I once worked in an area where little skin tags on the temples or outside edge of hand were common. Now to that mother her baby was as deformed as a baby with no legs.
    That taught me a huge lesson on the value of the quality of life.

A mother is a mother, whether she has wings or hooves or hands.....
    • CommentTimeMay 19th, 2010 12:05pm (May 19th 2010)

Two of the chicks appear to be very lethargic.
    It is difficult to tell the condition of the third as Mum is shielding it.

It would be good if they could get a streaming camera instead of this 7 seconds one. Are they a lot of money?
    • CommentTimeMay 19th, 2010 12:38pm (May 19th 2010)

Just to prove me wrong, thoses two chicks are now as perky as can be!

Still not getting a good view of the one under Mum in the right hand nest.
    • CommentTimeMay 19th, 2010 4:20pm (May 19th 2010)

I agree with you Ollie; all life is worth trying to save.
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2010 10:15am (May 20th 2010)

According to the diary on the site the second chick is not expected to survive.
    This morning the two other (lively) chicks have moved into the left nest while Mum is in the right one keeping the poorly chick covered.

There is a very intersting comment on getting permissions to retrieve chick when it expires to examine as a guide to any action needed to protect remaining chicks. This had been proposed to be done at the same time as ringing the chicks.
    However the bird ringing men are unable to be there at the appropriate time so it is all cancelled.
    Obtaining to interfere in any way is extremely difficult.
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2010 2:35pm (May 20th 2010)

This afternoon the Parent has left the nest and presumably taken away the moribund chick.

The other two seem quite lively.
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2010 8:07pm (May 20th 2010)

That's so sad Ollie. Its fascinating that animals will remove the bodies to protect the surviving offspring from detection and infection. I hope the other 2 chicks continue to thrive.
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2010 8:52pm (May 20th 2010)

Kate, you do need to read the Diary.
    It's so sad.

The other two chicks have had a good feed tonight, something with dark feathers.
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2010 10:10am (May 21st 2010)

Two very bright chicks this morning, scrambling from one side of the nest to the other!

Mum is behaving peculiarly, in that she is facing a corner away from the babies and keeps stretching out her wings.
    I thought she had a snack that she was keeping to herself but doesn't appear to be eating anything. Odd.

Hope she's alright...
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2010 10:14pm (May 21st 2010)

I did read the diary and yes, it is very sad. I can see why they need to protect these beautiful creatures and yes, minimum interference is paramount I suppose. Doesn't make it any easier though!

Maybe mum was either taking in some warmth or trying to keep cool. There was a crow on the corner of our building yesterday doing a similar thing. I hope she is OK too.
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2010 12:06pm (May 22nd 2010)

Bit worried about the baby Peregrines they look so still and all squashed up in the corner, hope the two that remain are ok? Maybe its a warm day and they are sleepy, but I am very concerned, every time I have looked lately my heart pounds as I wait to see if they are doing ok and how many are left.
    Dear sweet birdies.:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2010 8:00pm (May 22nd 2010)

On their diary it is explained that Mum was sunbathing!

The babes do look very lethargic at times but we need to remember they are babies after all and not at the toddler stage yet. Though they can change nests very fast if they feel like it.
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2010 8:55pm (May 22nd 2010)

As a child I used to live to sit and watch the blackbirds doing the same thing. They would also lie on top of an ant nest, allow the ants to crawl up onto them, and then fly back to the nest so that the chicks could eat the ants.
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 7:53pm (May 24th 2010) edited

How sad that two of the falcon chicks died. I hadn't seen them for a week or so and was amazed at how much they had grown. They are so sweet I will ask Grandad North if he will take me along to see if we can see them soon
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 10:24pm (May 24th 2010)

Its my bird experience day a week on Friday. I'm sooooo excited and can't believe how quickly its come around!!
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 7:04am (May 25th 2010) edited

Bird experience now that sounds very interesting indeed and a whole day to!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 4:11pm (May 25th 2010)

Where are you going for it, Kate?
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 9:43pm (May 25th 2010)

Tthats come around real quick Kate, it will be a lovely experience.
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 10:29pm (May 25th 2010)

Here - the Falconry Centre in Hagley so not too far to travel. A full day experience. Considering it was a Christmas present its quite scary how quickly its arrived!

• CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 10:40pm (May 25th 2010)

Looks brilliant - hope you have a lovely Christmas...:D
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 10:45pm (May 25th 2010)

It does look real good Kate and will be a wonderful day to treasure for many years to come.
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 10:48pm (May 25th 2010)

Thanks NN, memories are priceless aren't they!
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2010 3:40pm (Jun 1st 2010)

Those two chicks are trying out their wings in the nest.
    Won't be long now before they are stepping out.

Oh, here's "Mum" with lunch.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2010 12:45pm (Jun 3rd 2010) edited

The chicks are getting to look like peregrines now, hardly any white fluff left.
    Mum is in the kitchen - a ledge nearby - preparing lunch to bring down to the babies.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2010 8:55pm (Jun 3rd 2010)

They are very mottled now aren't they! I wonder how long it is until they're ready to leave the nest.
    • CommentTimeJun 4th, 2010 9:26pm (Jun 4th 2010)

Have a look at bbc.co.uk/springwatch and click on webcams.
    Fantastic live streaming of FOUR nests at a time.

Just the job to have on the page alongside hencam.
    • CommentTimeJun 4th, 2010 9:36pm (Jun 4th 2010)

That's fabulous Ollie! I had a fantastic day today at Hagley Falconry Centre, but I'll post a new thread about it shortly.
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2010 4:23pm (Jun 5th 2010)

Goodo! :)
    • CommentTimeJun 9th, 2010 7:52pm (Jun 9th 2010)

The chicks are almost as big as the parent now!
    They should be ready to take off very soon.
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2010 7:59pm (Jun 10th 2010)

It is amazing how quickly they grow, wonderful; birds that's for sure.