• CommentTimeApr 19th, 2010 5:45pm (Apr 19th 2010) edited

The girls have once again surprised me with their quickness and eagerness to learn today...I don't know why I'm still shocked by their intelligence, but I am!

So, today the chucks got a new toy. A wicker basket with lettuce leaves inside hanging from the coop roof. Tilly was straight in there trying to peck the food out, whereas Penny hung back for a while.

But an hour later, I look on the cam and there they are. Both chickens stood opposite each other, the basket between them, pecking it so it swings from one chicken to the other.

This way they were able to control where the basket swung, they both had a go and were able to pick more lettuce out. I just thought that was so amazing, how quickly they had discovered to get the food out and that standing opposite would work best!

And secondly, Tilly soon figured out how to eat bird food from the wild bird feeder!!!

I am really impressed with their ability to learn new things in return for treats, and will definitely look out for more challenging toys in the future! :smile:

Me and Lyle have both been very impressed.
      feeder1.jpg
      feeder2.jpg
      feeder3.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 19th, 2010 5:49pm (Apr 19th 2010)

Anyone else ever been surprised by random flashes of intelligence?

My other thought is how the chickens have learnt that, when they were out in the garden, when I yell to them ("home time chucks, come on, hup hup hup hup!") they have learnt to come running to the coop door for treats, then I can herd them in and shut them away!
    • CommentTimeApr 19th, 2010 6:11pm (Apr 19th 2010) edited

They are very clever birds and have very good memories as well. Mine learned to come to the back door and peck it with their beaks for attention and afternoon treats. I love they way they also converse with me when we are doing things.
    • CommentTimeApr 19th, 2010 6:12pm (Apr 19th 2010)

You should market the chicken treat baskets and any othere ideas you come up with Red.
    • CommentTimeApr 19th, 2010 6:14pm (Apr 19th 2010)

Posted By: nanny northThey are very clever birds and have very good memories as well. Mine learned to come to the back door and peck it with their beaks for attention and afternoon treats. I love they way they also converse with me when we are going things.

Aw bless them! I love their chunterings too :001_smile:

Haha, thanks NN!
    • CommentTimeApr 19th, 2010 6:52pm (Apr 19th 2010)

• CommentTimeApr 19th, 2010 10:11pm (Apr 19th 2010)

Posted By: leevauxThe Trouble is if you have not had chickens you will never no the people that have never had chickens think they are stupid!!!!

Hmm, it always horrifies me when I'll be talking to people about how the chickens have learnt how to come when called, or some other such thing, and people will just flat out say it isn't true and it's just coincidence they come when I shout them!! I mean, what?!
    • CommentTimeApr 20th, 2010 7:16am (Apr 20th 2010)

Perhaps Chickens are our best kept secret then we know they oare not stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!