• CommentAuthorBubblecheeks
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2010 10:20pm (Apr 21st 2010)

• CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2010 7:48am (Apr 22nd 2010)

Hi Bubblecheeks welcome aboard sorry to hear you have a problem with one of your girls check her crop today to see if it has emptied over night or if it is firm or squishy it sounds like she may have a sour crop if it is squishy if it is firm she may have an impacted crop and what you are doing with the massaging and oil is fine if it is a sour crop you need to get it out of the crop as it just stays in growing as it is bacteria i had to tilt my girl upside down holding her head and pushing all the liquid out being very careful not to choke her it sounds horrid but it is not that bad to do really and the results are instant but you must then follow it up with live yogurt for a few days after to put good bacteria back in.Let us know how you get on or if you need any more advise.:bigsmile:
    Lee
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2010 10:07pm (Apr 22nd 2010)

Hi Bubblecheeks and welcome to hencam! I don't have hens but somewhere on here is a link to a site that has pictures of chicken poo that may give you some indication of what else could be wrong. I will have a look and see if I can find it and will post it back here, or someone else may beat me to it - I think Red has it in her favourites!

I hope Marge feels better soon.
    • CommentAuthorBubblecheeks
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2010 10:45pm (Apr 22nd 2010)

Hi folks, many thanks for yr kind words and advice. When I let the girls out this morning all 3 went mad to get out but Marge was still in discomfort. About 5 mins after coming out she "dropped" an egg but the shell was just part liquid and part flimsy shell. Once she'd done this she pretty much returned to her usual feisty self. I phoned the place where I brought them (a proper poultry breeder) who told me to stop all treats for about 2 weeks, put some poultry spice in their food to help restore calcium. When I got home tonight Marge was back to herself. However, around 7.45 she started to look uncomfortable and then dropped an egg with a totally soft shell! She's not quite there yet ...... watch this space.
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2010 7:10am (Apr 23rd 2010)

Excellent Bubblecheeks thats chickens for ya!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am glad she is better:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2010 8:21pm (Apr 23rd 2010) edited

Posted By: BubblecheeksHi, I am new to this site and after some advice. I have 3 hens all about 9 months old and good layers. I let them out for their evening run tonight and everything was fine until just before bed when we noticed Marge had gone all puffed up, was standing still with her eyes closing. She also appeared to be trying to do a pooh. On closer examination she was managing to get rid of small bits accompanied by a light coloured liquid. I did some googling and have given her crop a massage accompanied by a small dose of olive oil. Any suggestions would be welcome. Many thanks.

My first thought was that she could have become eggbound...?

Has she started laying yet? Has she ever laid an egg? Does she squat down when you go near her? (an indicator they are almost at laying age)

Quite often pullets can have trouble with the first egg...they can be too big, too small, soft-shelled, or difficult to squeeze out. Seeing as she is acting miserable and, in particular, seeming to be straining, it would indicate she would be trying to lay an egg.

Have her stand on your knee, if she will, and feel her sort of stomach area on the way to her vent to see if you can feel an egg.

You can try putting vegetable oil on her vent, as that will help it slide out. Also relaxing her in a warm (NOT HOT!) bath can help her relax all her tense muscles, which will also help it out.

If this doesn't work, stick a finger up her vent (yack, I know!) and see if you can feel it. Also try and get a vet involved!

As for any crop problems, adding apple cider vinegar to your girls' water (it won't do any harm to any of them!) and feeding them activated natural yoghurt (good for their digestive systems, and they will love it!) can help ease crop problems.

Continue with the crop massages too, they can help.

As above, if there's no improvement the next day, try take her to the vets :001_smile:

Hope this helps, and good luck with your little girl. Oh! Welcome to the forum, too! :welcome:
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2010 8:28pm (Apr 23rd 2010)

I don't believe it...I typed all that out after reading the first post, in a state-of-emergency response, then read further down and found she had laid two eggs...doh, what a waste! :glare:

Anyway, it sounds like she was just backed up in the egg department! Was the first one especially hard? Has she already started laying or are these her first?

Let us know if her next egg has a normal shell!

It may be that she isn't getting enough calcium, so can't form her eggs properly. If this is the case simply feed her calcium rich foods, and offer her oyster grit. If the others are normal, then it's probably just teething problems!

Sorry for the other post!
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2010 9:34pm (Apr 23rd 2010)

Your post wasn't a waste Red - it proves you know what you're talking about!
    • CommentAuthorBubblecheeks
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2010 8:56pm (Apr 28th 2010)

Hi there everyone - thanx again for all your helpful comments about Margie. I'm very pleased to say she is back to her normal self and laying good eggs again. Thank god she's ok. It only took a couple of days for her to right herself again. However on Friday my speckledy girl Poppy went broody. I spoke to the place again where I got them who advised it was perfectly normal behaviour especially for speckledy's. So bless her, I'm having to pick her out the nest box each morning and shut the door. Despite this she seems fine and we'll just ride it out. Happy hen keeping x
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2010 9:12pm (Apr 28th 2010)

You are very welcome Bubblecheeks we are all here to help and support we do not no it all but a problem shared is a problem half-ed!!! Iam glad Margie is OK :bigsmile:
    • CommentAuthormrs dawud
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 9:19am (May 11th 2010)

hi,
    I was out of station for a week,and when i came back i didnt find my rooster and his mates,i heard dpgs attcked them in the night and probably eaten them.One of the hen is surviving with a dog's wound probably on her side,i mean at backer side.What antibiotics should be given to her,plzz letme know ASAP.
    thanks in advance
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 2:41pm (May 11th 2010)

Posted By: mrs dawudhi,
    thanks in advance

Hello mrs dawud, I have quoted your text and made it into a new topic under the 'Animal Welfare' section. Hope you don't mind, but more people will read it that way :)