• CommentTimeApr 26th, 2010 9:45am (Apr 26th 2010) edited

Hope you like the new camera angles, and outdoor panning view of Wilsden which should be much better quality now (just hope that Helen doesn't make good on her promise to throw the cam fixed to the outside of our window as it's an eyesore!)

A few of my work colleagues were having a chat about silly ways in which you could promote a website (you might remember that it was one of these stupid chats that provided the inspiration for hencam), and two of the better ideas were, a personalised number plate for my car of 'HEN' or 'CAM', to the downright ridiculous 'sticking a huge beak and chicken comb on to your car'...

I quite like the idea of a hencam number plate, but they are pretty much a waste of money, unless you have a couple of grand for something like 'HN02 CAM'.

Tim suggested this:

With lots of stickers with the website address in the windows!

That would cost you a reasonable £250 so, should I have a small collection request on the site?!

The problem I have is, it always seems to be the same few people that help out and it's lovely that they do, but it's not fair on them that they've supported the site over the years and then I come on here asking for more to get a stupid number plate for the car...

Everyone on the Internet expects everything to be free (I'm as guilty as this as anyone!) But if everyone who visited the site for one day donated just £1, even after paypal's fees it would probably buy enough hardware to enable you to select your cam feed, and control the moving camera, and a million other things that we'll never see on the site but that people request (and when I say how much it would cost, never hear from again!)

So, are there better ways to publicise hencam in a fun way?

Poll

Should the site request donations?

NO - why should I send money to hencam (I'm happy to always let others help!)0

NO - hencam doesn't need more bells and whistles, I like the cams as they are2

12%
    NO - hencam doesn't need a personalised number plate!2

12%
    YES - but it's always me that donates0

YES - why not, it's a bit of fun9

53%
    Maybe!4

24%

Total Votes: 17

• CommentTimeApr 26th, 2010 4:58pm (Apr 26th 2010)

I want to qualify my vote; I don't think that a personalised number plate would be headturning enough unless it actually said 'HENCAM' which can't be done with a British numberplate. Stickers and things ARE a good idea though! :)
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2010 6:02pm (Apr 26th 2010) edited

This Site is Fun,Informative,friendly,and very caring and i would gladly donate to this forum with out hesitation!!I belong to other forums mainly car ones and they are not a patch on this one and i was never a forum person until Hencam came along :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2010 8:47pm (Apr 26th 2010) edited

I see what you mean CC.... Ok, so maybe the massive beak and comb are required!!!

I am really pleased and proud of the forum as it's a really nice and friendly place, and it's all down to you guys so thank you, and you should be very proud of it too as you make it the place it is. :)
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2010 9:25pm (Apr 26th 2010)

Do more visitors = more income automatically? Or only if they donate?

I'm happy to donate at any time - I've had so much support, friendship and pleasure from Hencam I'd do whatever's necessary!
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2010 8:15am (Apr 27th 2010)

Posted By: KatebDo more visitors = more income automatically? Or only if they donate?

Not at all Kate, but visitors are really the life-blood of the site, because some of them will probably become regular visitors, forum members etc.

No need for donations if people are happy with hencam as it is... :)
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2010 10:00pm (Apr 27th 2010)

I love the site as it is - I rarely get to see it in the day so the hens are usually asleep, which means more views won't make any difference to me! But, I like to think I am unselfish and if people want developments that cost then I'm happy to put in!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2010 8:17am (Apr 30th 2010)

one of the forums I am on has a seperate section which is only accessible by donation only. I'm not sure if that is a good idea but I do think that if a site, such as this one, makes you want to visit it more often and become a forum member, then the occassional donation would help pay for running the site and the cost of cameras, electricity etc.
    I have made many friends here and although chicken-less myself I take great pleasure in reading everyone elses stories of thier chickens and pets and adventures.
    Like Kate, I don't get to see the hens because I won't spend too much time on the site during the day and in the evening I am busy.

I would be happy to send in a yearly donation of whatever I can afford.
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2010 6:03pm (Apr 30th 2010)

That seems a bit hard on the members who are less well off, though. It seems cruel to exclude someone from certain areas of the forum just because of their lack of money...
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2010 9:31pm (Apr 30th 2010)

there's no easy way... I don't want to become a pay site, it would seem to go against the throw away fun idea of the site.

I think I've probably asked and had for too much already. without various member's help we'd still be stuck with one bad quality webcam showing freezeframe images with no audio...

I'm so very thankful for everyone's help, and that ranges from people who emailed with concern when something is not right in the coop, to those who donated, to those who give their time and friendship so freely on the forum.

sounds a bit corny, but what more could you wish for?!
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2010 10:23pm (Apr 30th 2010)

I agree with CC, but as an add-on, I for one like to give a donation a couple of times a year, or for something specific if a new camera is needed, that sort of thing.

I was wondering when Milly's birthday was. Maybe those of us who are able and wish to could send a donation of whatever we can afford in memory of her. Or maybe each year Neil thinks of something that would help him out with the equipment and those who want to can send a donation towards the cost?
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2010 10:57pm (Apr 30th 2010)

We celebrate Milly's birthday along with Penny and Tilly's, usually sometime in June as that is when we got them all. But I think the date we bought Milly was 13th June.

Don't think we need to remember her with money though...maybe on her birthday I could dig out some photos of her that are really old or people had never seen and make another photo time-line...
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2010 9:51am (May 1st 2010)

I thnk that's a lovely idea...

I also like how we've got a 'Milly' tree and shrub (which was bought from donations), and that CC has kindly offered to make a plaque for it, it's just nice to think of her still with us in some way (her tree is planted in compost made from the three hen's RP (sorry Diane!), so there's even a connection there too!)

And Milly's tree has flowers on the way! Will post a pic later!
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2010 7:48pm (May 1st 2010)

Any news on the inscription yet, Neil?
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2010 8:30pm (May 1st 2010)

Erm... :shamed: I don't know...

My vote is for:

Milly
    a special hen

But Helen says that's rubbish and it needs a meaningful quote or something nice...?

What would be a good length for the text CC?

Someone has to have a better suggestion!
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2010 8:38pm (May 1st 2010)

I think that's nice Neil (and I bet CC likes it as its not too much to carve!!!)

So ... shall we make June 13th Milly Day? (I'll forget - but I'm sure someone will remind us!)
    • CommentAuthorRonald
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd, 2010 1:57am (May 2nd 2010)

Epitaph;

Milly

Yet in this heart's most sacred place

hath passed away a glory from the earth

thou, alone, shall dwell forever

a star in the crown of the angels hair.

Sorry it’s too long, but I can think no other.
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd, 2010 12:17pm (May 2nd 2010)

I wanna submit one:

Millybobs ~ you big goof :)

If anyone would appreciate that, it would be millyhen! :heart:
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd, 2010 5:00pm (May 2nd 2010)

Depends how big you want the stone to be really; i like your suggestion, actually, Neil; and NOT just because it's sort, but because it says it all.
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd, 2010 9:50pm (May 2nd 2010)

Can you put a poll on the site Neil - choose your favourites and we'll vote and see how it comes out? (If you don't like what we pick you can just do what the politicians do and go with your choice!)
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2010 9:43pm (May 4th 2010)

I will look into sorting a poll out when I get a second - work has been beyond stressful at the minute, but hopefully that will improve.

The entries can be looked at here.
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2010 7:33pm (May 5th 2010)

How is Helen's knee doing?
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 11:49am (May 11th 2010)

She's back at work, so it must be ok. :-p

I think she's slowly getting over the worry that it's going to pop back out at the slightest twist - I think there is a slight risk of it happening again (more so now it's happened twice), but she needs more confidence so it doesn't stop her enjoying life (I don't mean it to sound like she's a poorly dog that needs putting down!!)

It's good to see her back on two legs again anyway, and she says thank you for all the lovely comments and kind wishes here, they were a definite comfort.
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 7:13pm (May 11th 2010)

Is she having some physio? Will that help to strengthen the ligaments to prevent it happening?
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 9:05pm (May 11th 2010)

She's been to two physio appointments and I think she was reassured and told how to bend etc, but I think it's still at the back of her mind...
    • CommentTimeMay 12th, 2010 6:47pm (May 12th 2010)

No, it's at the front of her leg....
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2010 1:01am (May 29th 2010)

never did get my car stickers....
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2010 10:39am (May 30th 2010)

doh! did you send me your address?

Unfortunately hencam's not my full-time job so real life often intrudes I'm afraid.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2010 4:57pm (May 30th 2010)

Real life?? Wossat then?
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2010 6:56pm (May 30th 2010)

Not sure to be honest, not had much time to experience it lately :wink:
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2010 7:44pm (May 30th 2010)

What Car Stickers are these then??? :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2010 9:52pm (May 31st 2010)

Nothing exciting honest :)

But Whisper your address to me and I will post some out. You have to promise to display it somewhere prominent to help spread the word on hencam, otherwise the time spent printing, trimming, laminating and posting is wasted!
      CommentAuthorChicken Wing
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2010 11:48pm (Jun 2nd 2010)

Can we have a car sticker please? We promise to display it for everyone to see although CD will only let me display it on his Land Rover!:smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 21st, 2010 3:43pm (Jun 21st 2010)

Did you get your stickers Lee and CW? They were sent out aaages ago...
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2010 4:27pm (Jun 22nd 2010)

Hi Neil sorry i did receive it thank you and it has pride of place in my old estate car Look!!!!!!!!!
      DSCF4371.JPG
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2010 4:55pm (Jun 22nd 2010) edited

Yay!! Nice one! :)
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2010 9:00pm (Jun 23rd 2010)

Reading the intro bit that comes under the webcam picture, I had to have a giggle over how far Hencam has come.
    Not just "a webcam pointing at chickens" but now "Even MORE webcams which MOVE pointing at chickens"

How very far this site has developed, all from a conversation over a glass of beer, I seem to remember.

Very well done Neil!

Thank you for the hours etc., you have put into this, all so we can just watch hens!

My G'daughter loudly tells her friends that Granny spends her day watching hens on the internet...
    (Don't let Social Services reads this bit, they'll be round with the waggon!)
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2010 11:17pm (Jun 23rd 2010)

Watch who she tells - it's probably enough to get you physically restrained and carted off to the nut-house!

I'm sure there is more stuff to be done with hencam, we just need to figure out what!
    • CommentTimeJun 24th, 2010 12:06am (Jun 24th 2010)

ROBOT CHICKENS!!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 24th, 2010 10:22pm (Jun 24th 2010)

• CommentTimeJun 24th, 2010 10:44pm (Jun 24th 2010)

Cor blimey!!
    What's that hen been having???

Please may I have some too?
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2010 3:01am (Jun 25th 2010)

Ossum :cool:
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2010 9:28am (Aug 3rd 2010)

I received a "while you were out..." card from the postie yesterday, and last night an email from CC saying that she was having 'puter problems and was sending this email from a friend's computer, and that the slate had been sent and to let her know when it arrived safely.

Anyway, I popped over to the collection depot this morning on my way to work, and the stone is amazing! I can't believe how good it looks, it's much nicer than those naff ones you sometimes see for sale, it's very... classy I think the word is!

We'll have an official opening ceremony for it as soon as possible (with red curtain and the Bradford Mayor cutting the ribbon!) :tongue:

A massive thank you to CC though for her hard work and skill (and it was nice to speak to you this morning on the phone!)

Hopefully have pictures soon...
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2010 6:09pm (Aug 3rd 2010)

I wanna see!
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2010 6:59pm (Aug 3rd 2010)

Pooter's fixed!!! I rang them up and they said...turn the rooter (?) off and on again. I told the man I had been Forbidden To Touch Anything, but he said it'd be all right...and it was! Hooray!!
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2010 9:58pm (Aug 3rd 2010)

I asked on the other thread if it'd arrived (should've checked them all out first!) - glad to hear you've got it. Really excited about seeing it - the one CC did for my cat was lovely (nice and simple 'JOEY'). Very comforting every time I see it in the garden.

Are we all getting invites to the ceremony, or would that escalate the security costs, with all the police that'd be needed to protect the mayor, and road closures, and fencing to make sure we didn't stand too close ... maybe a hencam ceremony would be a better option. Perhaps Penny or Tilly would pull the ribbon to unveil it?!!
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2010 11:00am (Aug 4th 2010)

There will be a simple ceremony this Saturday (about 10am) - you're welcome to attend but parking might be tricky due to the road closures and crowd control!

Seriously though, I think we will have some kind of unveiling, maybe try and get Tilly to pull the cover off the stone!
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2010 12:41pm (Aug 4th 2010)

Will the ceremony be viewed "live" please?
    Then we can all join in wherever we are.
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2010 12:53pm (Aug 4th 2010)

I bet you could train Tilly to do it for food :P

The stone is awesome, it's a real beauty! I'm impressed CC ;) Seriously though, thank you very much :001_smile:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2010 1:50pm (Aug 4th 2010)

CC, well done.
    I will hope for some pics on here because I won't have time to long on on Saturday morning.
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2010 9:08pm (Aug 4th 2010)

If you smeared something tasty on a piece of cloth I'm sure she'd have a go at pecking it off! I'll probably forget about the ceremony, but will try to remember and will really look forward to the photos!
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2010 9:26pm (Aug 4th 2010)

For a sneak peek at Milly's stone, follow me on Twitter - there's a pic of it on there!
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2010 9:34pm (Aug 4th 2010)

Boo - I don't do Twitter! Will have to find out what to do now!
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2010 9:37pm (Aug 4th 2010)

Ha ha!! Found it! It's beautiful - well done CC, you are very talented.
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2010 2:54pm (Aug 12th 2010)

That looks lovely CC and as Kate said you sure are very talented. It will look superb when set into place.