• CommentTimeMay 4th, 2010 3:27pm (May 4th 2010) edited

As you all no My Milly was not to good a few weeks ago but she went to the vet and to cut a long story short we all believed she had a sour crop i dealt with that and she perked up very well but the end of last week she started to go down hill again but this time it was different she became very week i did the best i could to make her comfortable she clearly had some sort of infection so off i went to the vet this morning really knowing in my mind what was going to become of her!!!!she was in a lot of discomfort today and i wanted her to be at peace.
    It dose not matter how many times you have to say good by to a chicken it still really hurts so i said my goodbyes to her and she was gone!!!!! With me in floods of tears again and i had a lady vet!!!!i said i would not cry again that got blown out the window!!!

Rest in Peace Milly I will Miss you a lot!!!
      DSCF3947.JPG
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2010 4:45pm (May 4th 2010)

Oh Lee, I'm so sorry you lost your girl; she was so pretty... Thinking of you, cherub...:heart:
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2010 6:59pm (May 4th 2010)

Oh Lee I am so very very sorry to hear about your Milly she was a real sweet little hen. She had a wonderful life with you all, full of love and attention. I am not surprised you cried, there is no shame in tears for a loved one. I am crying now as I think of you all. She will be meeting up with Red's Milly over the rainbow bridge so she will not be alone. Thinking of you and your family with love xx
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2010 7:13pm (May 4th 2010)

I'm so sorry Lee, what a beautiful picture of her. It is the last great thing we can do for our pets, to give them a diginified and humane end to their lives. You did all you could for her, but sadly neither they nor us can live forever, but it would be nice if they had longer.

Sleep well Milly, there'll be lots of treats at the rainbow bridge. xx
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2010 8:17am (May 5th 2010)

Lee,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your Milly. All our pets have a special place in our hearts.
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2010 7:34pm (May 5th 2010) edited

Thank you every one for your kind words i have now finished all my crying and are looking forward to my Battery Hens at the end of June although poor Babs did not want to come out this morning which is not her at all.
    Babs
      10042010710-1.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2010 7:36pm (May 5th 2010)

You could put Bach Flower Remedy Walnut in her water, Lee; it's for adapting to new circumstances and for loss and homesickness. You can take it too.
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2010 7:41pm (May 5th 2010)

I have never heard of that ever CC I will Google it later and get some. You are a wealth of information My Dear!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2010 8:06pm (May 5th 2010)

You only need three drops in a dropper bottle of water, and you put a few drops of that in her/your water!
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2010 8:24pm (May 5th 2010)

I have found some CC and i will be ordering it i did not no there were so many for different remedies i will order some tonight thanks CC :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2010 9:26pm (May 5th 2010)

Is she on her own now Lee? Not for too long - weather is getting warmer so perhaps you can give her extra human company. Animals do grieve too.
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2010 10:12pm (May 5th 2010)

Oh, Lee I'm so sorry to hear your sad news about your little Milly. R.I.P. Milly. you have my condolences Lee..no matter how many I've lost, it still hurts me terribly to say goodbye to them.
    • CommentTimeMay 6th, 2010 7:13am (May 6th 2010)

Yes Kate She is now on her own She does of course have Clover the Rabbit with her so i am spending as much time as i can with her she is definitely not the same at the moment.

Thank you Lynn for your kind words to.
    • CommentTimeMay 6th, 2010 4:44pm (May 6th 2010)

Lee, there are remedies for all sorts of things which might help with your panic attacks. Have a read up on the Bach flower remedies...I think you'd be impressed!
    • CommentTimeMay 6th, 2010 6:35pm (May 6th 2010)

When you told me about them last night CC i read through them all and i have ordered what i think might help me thank you for that CC anything is better than nothing and i love trying things:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMay 6th, 2010 6:40pm (May 6th 2010)

The Loveliest thing i saw today was when i let Babs out of the run all the sparrows go into the run and pick up all of Milly,s White feathers and take them away i presume to make a nest with them which sort of makes me feel really nice inside :thumbup::cheer:
    • CommentTimeMay 6th, 2010 9:56pm (May 6th 2010)

Aww Lee, that is so wonderful. To think Millie is nurturing other birds even now.
    How absolutely delightful.
    • CommentTimeMay 6th, 2010 10:00pm (May 6th 2010)

It makes me one to cry again Ollie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry: its so wonderful :heartsabove:
    • CommentTimeMay 6th, 2010 10:32pm (May 6th 2010)

That is lovely Lee, the cycle of life is wonderful isn't it. I hope those baby birds will have a lovely soft nest to hatch out into. :heart:
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2010 1:56am (May 7th 2010)

That's so lovely, Lee. Little birds will have nice soft nests to grow up in now. Your Milly goes on being a wonderful girl, even after going over the rainbow bridge.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2010 8:41am (May 7th 2010)

Lee, I keep the Rescue remedy handy, and thanks CC for mentioning it. I kinda need to take some right now.
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2010 5:55pm (May 7th 2010)

My Hen Amber didn't look none to clever yesterday Lee, She didn't let me catch her though so I couldn't examine her. Today she was still looking bad and squatted down when I went up to her. She had an egg stuck I could feel it. I filled the sink with warm water and a small squirt of fairy liquid then got towels and brought her in and slowly lowered her in the water. She was quietly whimpering and it made me cry to hear her in pain.
    Anyhow with a little gentle help we got rid of the egg it was a soft shelled jobby. I kept her in the water a little longer and cleaned a little poop off her bum feathers. I made sure she was ok and I was just about to lower her tail and she pushed again, I noticed a little bit of what looked like a sticking plaster in her vent. I managed to hoik it out and she gave a big sigh of relief poor girl..... it was a squashed semi soft shell but with no middle in it.
    We sat in the conservatory as it was nice and warm in there she was snuggled in her towels and quite happy. I took her out to the other hens they all had a look at her rear but thankfully left it alone. They all had some grated cheese which helped take their minds off it. I stayed out and did some gardening so I could keep an eye on her. I am glad to say she is fine now and pecking around with gusto.
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2010 7:19pm (May 7th 2010)

Glad Amber's better; she's lucky to have such a good mum!
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2010 7:36pm (May 7th 2010)

Thanks CC I am just so relieved she is ok and thought I would post about it as it could help someone else with their hen.
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2010 9:44pm (May 7th 2010)

Oh NN, it's lucky you spotted that. Thanks for sharing the story with us - what a relief that she's OK now. Well done!
    • CommentTimeMay 8th, 2010 7:02am (May 8th 2010)

Well Done NN glad everything was OK it is great how we have all learn,t so much from keeping Chickens and have the technology to share with each other all around the world!!!!! A real life saver in a lot of cases :bigsmile: