• CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 11:51am (May 11th 2010)

Please choose your favourite and help us pick the wording for the plaque which CC has very kindly offered to make (as long as it's not too long! :wink:)

Poll

Choose your favourite inscription

"To Milly, the happy, cheerful chicken that will forever live on in our hearts!" - catfish1853

"So Loyal and Loving, Our Sweet Millie Hen" - Nanny North5

"Milly hen, We loved you." - CC5

"OH WHITE ONE, WHERE ART THOU ?" - hqTrev3

"Milly Made us feel happy in every way She really brightened up our day." - leevaux4

"Milly, missed by so many" - Kateb5

"Milly, much loved and missed." - Trevs mum4

"Milly. Meet you at the Rainbow Bridge" - Shobhna7

13%
    "Millybobs ~ you big goof :)" - Red6

11%
    Milly, Yet in this heart's most sacred place, hath passed away a glory from the earth, thou, alone, shall dwell forever, a star in the crown of the angels hair. - Ronald4

"Milly, a special hen" - Neil8

15%

Total Votes: 54

• CommentAuthordorcas
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 12:45pm (May 11th 2010)

I miss Milly lots. She was my favourite.
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 2:37pm (May 11th 2010)

Me too Dorcus...although I can't exactly say she was my favourite :P
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2010 2:38pm (May 11th 2010)

I voted for 'Milly, meet you at Rainbow Bridge' :)
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2010 12:48pm (May 18th 2010)

Me too Red!
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2010 12:59am (May 29th 2010)

So sad.
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2010 4:49pm (May 29th 2010)

If that's a suggestion for an epitaph, Sara, it won't take me long to carve...:) Missed you on the forum lately, where have you been? All well, I hope?
      CommentAuthorChicken Wing
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2010 11:34pm (Jun 2nd 2010)

Milly Hen one in a Millyon (million)touched so many hearts remembered by them all.
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2010 5:50pm (Jun 23rd 2010)

RIGHT - 'Milly - a special hen' gets it. I shall start designing then...:D
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2010 8:12pm (Jun 23rd 2010)

Thank you CC!
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2010 10:01pm (Jun 23rd 2010)

:hurray::hurray::hurray:
    • CommentTimeJun 24th, 2010 6:41pm (Jun 24th 2010)

I'm glad it was Neil's suggestion, what with her being his hen...
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2010 6:13pm (Jun 25th 2010)

Would it be a huge imposition to put 'a VERY special hen', Neil? It would make the whole thing balance a lot better. Doesn't matter if not, though...
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2010 10:36pm (Jun 25th 2010)

of course! It's fine! :-)
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 8:21pm (Jun 28th 2010)

Can not wait to see it CC, well done you will be busy chipping away now.
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 8:27pm (Jun 28th 2010)

Not till the end of July...but I want to get it all planned out so all i need do is set it out on the stone and cut it when i get to summer school.
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 8:29pm (Jun 28th 2010)

Oh thats a good idea CC do you choose your own stone from the quarry?
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 8:32pm (Jun 28th 2010)

No, I have some slate in the garage. As you do...:D
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 8:36pm (Jun 28th 2010)

Cool I got a couple of nice bits of stone not sure what sort it is. I just put little look and tell items on them on the patio along with a few candles. I wouldnt mind having a go at a bit if carving, MY Dad was real good at it but I never ever thought of asking him to show me how to do it, what a shame eh ?
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 8:50pm (Jun 28th 2010)

There are plenty of have-a-go courses around, NN - you can do odd days at some quarries.
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 8:55pm (Jun 28th 2010)

I will have to have a look about we got more than enough quarries round here!!
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 8:57pm (Jun 28th 2010)

That's what I thought...it's worth asking. Sometimes if they have a quiet day they'll give you an informal lesson!
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 9:02pm (Jun 28th 2010)

Cool it might be a good idea for both G. North and myself to have a go at. I will see what I can find out and then see what he says.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2010 8:11pm (Jul 26th 2010)

I am now offisially ON HOLIDAY and Milly's stone has been designed and the design transferred onto the slate. Work in Progress!
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2010 9:00pm (Jul 26th 2010)

Happy holidays CC, well done on making a good start.
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2010 7:26pm (Jul 27th 2010)

Seven and a half letters completed today.
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2010 8:12pm (Jul 27th 2010)

CAn you take pics please to keep us up to date?

I find this very exciting.
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2010 10:57pm (Jul 27th 2010)

Wow CC I didn't realise it had come round so quickly - can't wait to hear and see how it's going!

Very exciting!! :-)
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2010 12:59am (Jul 28th 2010)

Cor your whizzing along with that CC, I hope you stopped for your lunch break.
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2010 8:26pm (Jul 28th 2010) edited

It now says 'ILLY A SPECIAL HEN'. Last letter tomorrow, then painting the letters and polishing the stone.
    Of COURSE I stopped for lunch...and we get tea and sticky buns mid morning and mid afternoon. Oink...:)
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2010 10:30pm (Jul 28th 2010)

Its worth going just for the breaks then!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2010 9:18am (Jul 29th 2010)

We are so incredibly excited at seeing the final result, and are planning some kind of ceremony to have for the unveiling! :)
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2010 6:53pm (Jul 29th 2010) edited

That sounds real nice Neil.

Glad you are getting some good grub CC. I had a good healthy salad for my meal tonight then spoilt it by gorging on fresh dug new potato's smothered in loads of butter. Oh my they tasted just soooo good. I made a cheesecake for desert but am to full to have any at the mo !!!
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2010 8:03pm (Jul 29th 2010) edited

Well the way I see it is that I'm on holiday, and you get to eat naughty things on holiday. I'm just finishing my crispy duck...:)
    Stone is all carved and painted; tomorrow I clean off the excess paint, final polish then pack it up and post it to Hencam HQ! That reminds me...can you whisper the address and your surname please, Neil?
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2010 9:42pm (Jul 29th 2010)

Am so looking forward to seeing the stone. It'll be lovely to have a memorial to Milly.
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2010 3:33pm (Jul 30th 2010)

Painted, primped, polished, packed and posted!
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2010 7:13pm (Jul 30th 2010)

Well done CC you are such a star. I bet it looks lovely and I can not wait to see it.

I thought you had gone away on holiday to your stone workers camp. I didn't realise you were still at home.
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2010 8:00pm (Jul 30th 2010)

Summer school is only 12 miles away...not worth staying over - and a lot cheaper to stay at home!
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2010 9:31pm (Jul 30th 2010)

Just about to whisper my address but guess I'm too late now!

Will watch the letterbox with great interest over the next few days!
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2010 9:35pm (Jul 30th 2010)

I can,t wait Neil either!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2010 10:24pm (Jul 30th 2010)

"Hefty postman heaves slab of rock through letterbox in Wilsden."
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2010 11:44pm (Jul 30th 2010)

I hope the postman doesn't shove it through the letterbox - it'll break!!!!!!! If he's anything like our postman he'll leave it at the sorting office and just bring an "I tried to deliver but you weren't in ..." card so that you have to troop up there and get it yourself!

Can't wait to see a picture of it - hint hint Neil!!
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2010 12:47am (Jul 31st 2010)

Posted By: KatebCan't wait to see a picture of it - hint hint Neil!!

Give us chance, it hasn't arrived yet! :wink:
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2010 9:45pm (Jul 31st 2010)

Just getting in early!! LOL!!
    • CommentTimeAug 1st, 2010 12:58am (Aug 1st 2010)

Ha ha it is getting very exciting now.
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2010 7:05pm (Aug 3rd 2010)

Posted By: KatebI hope the postman doesn't shove it through the letterbox - it'll break!!!!!!!

It was packed in layers of bubblewrap and those inflated bag things that Firebox pack stuff with - thanks, Firebox!
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2010 9:50pm (Aug 3rd 2010)

Have you got it yet Neil?!!!
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2010 6:28pm (Aug 4th 2010)

Yes, he rang me to say it was there safe & sound...don't panic, Mr Mainwaring!
    • CommentTimeAug 5th, 2010 8:24am (Aug 5th 2010)

oh oh can't wait can't wait !!!
    • CommentTimeAug 5th, 2010 6:48pm (Aug 5th 2010)

Tell me the corner wasn't broken off and it's a fold in the bubble wrap....PLEASE!!!
    • CommentTimeAug 6th, 2010 11:11am (Aug 6th 2010) edited

I thought it was meant to be like that?

Hah, it's all intact!

Might not be an unveiling this weekend because we can't actually get to the tree at the moment - there's a huge pile of wood and debris from the downstairs bathroom (plus a skip full outside the house).

Here's our dining room (it actually looks worse in the flesh!):
      disaster_area.jpg
    • CommentTimeAug 6th, 2010 3:36pm (Aug 6th 2010) edited

Hahahahahahaha :rofl: It actually does look like a bomb's hit!
    • CommentTimeAug 6th, 2010 3:37pm (Aug 6th 2010) edited

I will post more pics but I amazingly (and stupidly) forgot to take a set of 'before' pics, so will have to dig through family albums to try find some pics of how it was!

You would not believe the dust it's all created - the bottom 2 floors of the house are *covered* in dust - that includes the hencam PC (crossed fingers that doesn't make it go into melt-down), and my beloved PS3!

I don't think we should really be staying there whilst it's all going on, but what can you do... (oh, and did I mention the open-sewer smell pervading the house due to the disconnected toilets and soil-pipes...!)
    • CommentTimeAug 6th, 2010 3:39pm (Aug 6th 2010)

spanner! there's a photo in one of my albums of grandad's birthday or something and we're all in the dining room :P
    • CommentTimeAug 6th, 2010 5:49pm (Aug 6th 2010)

Posted By: neildid I mention the open-sewer smell pervading the house due to the disconnected toilets and soil-pipes...

Scrummy...:ack2:
    • CommentTimeAug 6th, 2010 10:33pm (Aug 6th 2010)

What are you having done?!! It looks horrendous - I don't envy you.
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2010 5:59am (Aug 7th 2010)

oh Neil you poor darlings, come over here and stay until it's all finished, bring the girls and you can have the front room and a nice warm fire in the lounge and Brian is a great cook too and we can have a glass of wine or beer and solve the problems of the world and watch dvd's and eat popcorn and...and....
    :yes::drunk::045::boogie::cheers2:
    • CommentTimeAug 9th, 2010 11:16am (Aug 9th 2010)

Just booking flights!!!

I really wish we could escape from the dust, rubble and rubbish weather TM!
    • CommentTimeAug 9th, 2010 5:14pm (Aug 9th 2010)

Have you put the stone in situ yet, Neil? Or are you waiting for Red to stop her globetrotting?
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2010 9:27am (Aug 10th 2010) edited

Can't even get to Milly's tree (where the stone will go), there's builders rubble and assorted 'stuff' in the way (the remnants of our parquet floor for one), and it probably wouldn't be a good idea to place it before the builders have finished (I don't want it to get damaged)...

Sadly that means it could be anything up to several weeks, but at the moment it has pride of place in our living room :-)

Mess!
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2010 4:55pm (Aug 10th 2010)

Is it lovely bathing al fresco? What do the neighbours think? I bet they wish they hadn't had that tree killed now...:D
    PS Whoever used the bath last didn't clean it...
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2010 9:57pm (Aug 10th 2010)

:bigsmile:

You should see the state of the loofah
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2010 7:37am (Aug 11th 2010)

oh Neil an outdoor bath how lovely, just right for those warm sunny days lying back and sipping glass of something refreshing:cheers2::zzz:
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2010 6:00pm (Aug 11th 2010)

Oooh a swimming pool for the chickens! :cool:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2010 1:59pm (Aug 12th 2010)

Keep the bath and get some ducks. :-)
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2010 2:43pm (Aug 12th 2010)

Ohh cool good idea Shobhna we could have hen and duck cam then !!!
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2010 9:32pm (Aug 12th 2010)

Yeah!!! That's a great idea! My colleague's dad has just hatched 4 runner ducks for his friend. Sadly, when one hatched it fell from the nest and a rat nibbled at its beak and took some of the front off it, but her dad found it and put it back and it seems to be coping. Get some runners Neil!!!!
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2010 12:20pm (Aug 13th 2010)

I like Campbells, I think they are real pretty :)