• CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 5:09pm (May 25th 2010)

As Helen's car is probably getting near the point where it will cost more in repairs than it's worth, we need a new car!

I want something a bit sporty and fun, but has to be incredibly cheap, reliable and economical.

I've been looking at Smart Roadsters (preferably a non-leaking one!), Suzuki Cappucino and maybe a Mazda MX5 - if anyone has or knows someone who is selling a 'good' one cheap, then please get in touch!

We really can't afford a new car, so the holiday this year is cancelled :-(
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 8:43pm (May 25th 2010)

• CommentTimeMay 26th, 2010 12:46pm (May 26th 2010) edited

Posted By: chief chickenIf you think about a smart, remember it comes under Mercedes, so make sure you have a reliable local person who can work on it...otherwise you may end up having to sell your spouse...

Ahh ok thanks.

In that case... For Sale, one slightly used partner, Goes by name of Helen Williams, 39 years on the clock... ;-)

I am so dead when she reads that.

There is a good independent Smart garage near us so hopefully we'd be ok.
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2010 4:33pm (May 26th 2010)

That's good. As long as you live long enough to get a smart...

Posted By: neilI am so dead when she reads that.

RIP...:D
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2010 8:27am (May 27th 2010)

I'd recommend a Mazda MX5 any time but you don't have much room in the boot. It's a great fun car though and I love mine.

If I see one for sale I will let you know.
    You are more then welcome to come to MK for a blat in mine, though mine is L reg and it has been lowered so I find every bump and cat's eye in
    the road.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2010 8:16am (Jun 2nd 2010)

Neil,
    just for you, James Bond's Aston Martin is for sale. The one they used in Goldfinger. It comes complete with the guns (though they don't work) and the smoke screen, the oil slick maker thingy and the ejector seat.
    Only 4 million but I'll fight you for it because I heard of it first.:slingshot:
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2010 5:28pm (Jun 2nd 2010)

Now i really WILL be impressed if you and mum turn up in that, Shobhna! Just don't press the ejector seat button by mistake...
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2010 8:54am (Jun 3rd 2010) edited

well, I have £20 toward the 4 million needed, so I only need to find 3,999,980.
    I will have the rest by next week.. :_piggy:

(could not find a flying pig)
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2010 11:12am (Jun 13th 2010)

Drats! I managed to find 12p down the back of the sofa...
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2010 1:27pm (Jun 13th 2010)

Neil, Any further forward on finding a car?

I've decided not to go for the Aston Martin on account of the insurance being so expensive. :-)
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2010 3:43pm (Jun 15th 2010)

I need to post a pic of "Stig of the Dump" (named by Helen - not sure where she's going with that to be honest!)
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2010 4:34pm (Jun 15th 2010)

Is that your new car, Neil??
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2010 12:17am (Jun 17th 2010)

It's like a pod racer from star wars :cool:
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2010 5:50pm (Jun 18th 2010)

Cool Red Lets see it then !!!
    • CommentTimeJun 21st, 2010 4:10pm (Jun 21st 2010) edited

Here she is, Stig of the Dump (thanks Helen?!)

It's a Smart Roadster, which is a two-seater with a roof you can push a button and hide in the boot even when you're doing 70 on the motorway!

It was also the most economical petrol car available in 2006 (according to fuel-economy.co.uk), has a tiny but turbo-charged engine, and weighs less than a pound of butter, so it's really fun to drive!

• CommentTimeJun 21st, 2010 6:50pm (Jun 21st 2010)

And I see it is fitted with one of those gadgets that won't let cameras read your number plate - handy when having a buzz on the motorway!

Nice car!!
    • CommentTimeJun 21st, 2010 7:01pm (Jun 21st 2010)

You'll have to join the smart club now...:)
    • CommentTimeJun 21st, 2010 9:44pm (Jun 21st 2010)

Its lovely Neil, and so good you posted it over and over!!!!!!!! LOL!!
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2010 1:11am (Jun 22nd 2010)

Yeah you big goof, i had to delete two extra posts containing several mammoth pics...cor, talk about bad admining!! [insert old rolly eyed smiley here]

:heart:
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2010 7:17am (Jun 22nd 2010) edited

did it? sorry, looked ok to me :-D

Posted By: chief chickenYou'll have to join the smart club now...:)

Which club CC? I'm there!! :D

We actually went to the "Saturday Morning Car Wash Club" at Smart in the Mercedes dealership in Leeds the other week - all Smarts are welcome, you drop your car off, go and sit in a nice cafe area, help yourself to hot drinks or anything from the well-stocked fridge, watch TV on a big Sony Bravia or read magazines, whilst they professionally clean your car inside and out - it was ace!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2010 12:45pm (Jun 22nd 2010)

nice car.. I like !!!
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2010 5:18pm (Jun 22nd 2010)

Blimey, I should go in for that...it's take them weeks to clean Arfur out...
    It's just The smart Club. you get a Privilege Card that entitles you to a percentage off spares at certain dealer. I think they organise dos as well, but i never bother looking on the website as I'm too damn busy...:)
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2010 6:43pm (Jun 22nd 2010)

I do love the Pod Racer, and the second and last photos especially could be used in an advert for it :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2010 6:55pm (Jun 22nd 2010)

Nice Motor Neil!!!! :045:
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2010 9:34am (Jun 23rd 2010) edited

Thanks leevaux! Loving the hot weather we've been having lately! (and dreading winter...)

Driving in the sunset, around Ovenden wind-farm...
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2010 10:00pm (Jun 23rd 2010)

I agree Neil its been great today but the winter we have just had even here in the south was very harsh this year need to get much better shoes and warmer clothing for the next one.
    But hay Neil get out there and enjoy that great little car of yours!!!!!!!!! an absolutely brilliant photo Neil. :bigsmile: :boogie:
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2010 8:15am (Jun 25th 2010)

Nice wheels Neil.
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2010 6:17pm (Jun 25th 2010)

Neil's Wheels...
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2010 10:40pm (Jun 25th 2010)

Ooo, that reminds me. On the way to work this morning I passed a black Maserati exactly like the one on their home page http://www.maserati.com/ The driver was a dead ringer for Neil!!! (Bet you wish that was your new car - it was beautiful!)
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2010 9:21pm (Jun 28th 2010)

Very nice Car Neil.
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2010 9:41am (Jun 29th 2010)

Posted By: KatebOoo, that reminds me. On the way to work this morning I passed a black Maserati exactly like the one on their home pagehttp://www.maserati.com/The driver was a dead ringer for Neil!!! (Bet you wish that was your new car - it was beautiful!)

No I couldn't afford the insurance (or the petrol!) - I'm happy with little Stig. :-)

Speaking of cars, Helen's was broken into whilst she was at work and they left it in a right mess and didn't even manage to steal the radio... I don't even have words for those responsible. :-( Posted on the blog about it.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2010 5:09pm (Jun 29th 2010)

Oh no. Any CCTV or any other way of getting to finding the scum that did it.
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2010 6:38pm (Jun 29th 2010)

Nah, I don't think anything would be done even if there were. Although the police did ask if there was any blood or other identifiable marks left at the scene.

Just chalking it up to luck that it hasn't happened before I guess.
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2010 7:29pm (Jun 29th 2010) edited

Scum bags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the lowest form of life but unfortunately we are surrounded by them should all be on there own island to thieve of each other!!:cursing: :rant_red2: sorry it make my blood boil!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2010 8:06pm (Jun 29th 2010)

Sods. I hope they get caught.
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2010 9:27pm (Jun 29th 2010)

Sadly, they rarely are CC. My first car was a polo. It was broken into 4 times - 3 times by smashing the glass and once by butchering the lock. I didn't know why - I never left anything in it and it was a standing joke that I carried the radio instead of a handbag! The third time my neighbour saw them and scared them off. They were trying to prise the speakers off the back shelf. The awful thing was that they didn't even work! I only left them in because they'd have left 2 big holes in the parcel shelf!

I don't understand why so many people think its OK to take things that belong to others for their own profit. Are there more scumbags than honest people nowadays?
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2010 2:48pm (Jun 30th 2010)

Kate, let's hope not because that would make this world a bit scary to live in. I keep hoping that everyone must be intrinsically good and that they are just mis-led.

there are some good people around. My friend Marie lost her handbag containing over £200 in cash, bank card, flight tickets to Seychelles and both her British and Seychelles passport, in the middle of Bedford somewhere. Reported it to the Police straight away and was told not to expect much. Tried to sort out her ticket for a re-issue ...no go. Tried to get a British Passport re-issued...no go. They needed all her documetns which are in the Seychelles and she can't get there without one of her passports. :-( Tried the Seychelles Embassay and they were a bit helpful...and in the middle of all this she had a call back from the Police to say that someone has handed in her handbag with every single item intact.

Result !!!
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2010 2:50pm (Jun 30th 2010)

There ARE some good people around! :)
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2010 4:24pm (Jun 30th 2010)

I do think that most people are good but the trouble now days is no one really trusts any one any more look at all of us on this forum we don,t no each other yet it is full of nice people bring back street parties and bring the communities together so we can all talk to each other again this will help the situation no end!! when there is a disaster within a community every one pulls together to help and really does show that we are all humans and not bad ones either.
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2010 11:28pm (Jun 30th 2010)

I'm so pleased for your friend Shobhna! YOu've all given me a little bit of faith back in human nature.
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2010 8:15pm (Jul 29th 2010)

Neil, how are you liking the new motor then?
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2010 12:44am (Jul 31st 2010)

Posted By: chief chickenNeil, how are you liking the new motor then?

Loving it!

Really fun to drive, had great fun zipping around Whitby and Scarboro' the other week with Helen...

It's great how friendly Smart drivers are - let one out of a junction the other day and got a very cheery wave until they realised I was also in a Smart and then there was a smile and a thumbs up too! :)