• CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2010 6:06pm (Jun 2nd 2010)

...is it all right for a new chick? I'd like to give some to Livia and Sinead but Littl'un is bound to want to stick her beak in it and I think it might be a bit rich for her. She's on water, chick crumb and hard boiled egg at the moment, so the girls have had to be on that too.
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2010 12:49am (Jun 5th 2010)

Uhuh, yoghurt is fine - although most people say feed no treats until the chick is a week or two old. But yoghurt should be fine, it's supposedly beneficial in chickens of all ages. Boiled eggs are good for youngsters too ;)
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2010 4:30pm (Jun 5th 2010)

Lemon Chicken loves boiled eggs, and the girls love yoghourt. Livia in particularl is looking a bit pale as she hardly leaves the eggs. I didn't want to harm Lemon by putting it in her temptation area without asking a grownup...thanks Red!:)
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2010 8:05pm (Jun 5th 2010)

No probs - haha, Lemon! :laugh:
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2010 8:32pm (Jun 5th 2010)

Is that your name for the new little one CC ? I bet it is a real cutie and hope it is another little girl. See if you can get a photo so we can see her please.
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2010 10:26pm (Jun 5th 2010)

What'll the next one be - garlic?!
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2010 1:54pm (Jun 6th 2010)

I know Lemon is a mad name...it's just that s/he is so yellow...but with grey stripes. and the wing feathers already look a bit curly. S/he's not come out of the hutch yet, but I'll get a pic as soon as I can.
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2010 8:20pm (Jun 6th 2010)

Awesome!

I really wanted to find you a pic of a t-shirt Tom had when he was, like, four years old. It said "I'm no lemon, I'm a tough guy!" on it and was really cute!
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2010 8:41pm (Jun 6th 2010)

Lemon sounds a pretty little chick and I really look forward to a picture I wonder if Livia will manage to hatch the rest of the eggs one more then you could call one Garlic !!!
    The tee shirt sounds real cute Red
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2010 9:29pm (Jul 1st 2010)

We went to Hull yesterday for the day and when we got back the first thing I noticed was Victoria didnt look herself. I managed to nab her with out to much fuss, and she has a bad case of sour crop poor girl. I felt real sorry for her as we were out all day enjoying ourselves and it was so hot and she must have felt real bad all day.
    Grandad North shot off to Asda for live youhurt while I got the vile muck out of her crop. It took me wuite a while to get the yoghurt into her as she doesn't being held.

This morning I had the dickens of a job catching her she hid in the bushiest shrub in the garden and whipped in and out of there like a fiddlers elbow. I was cream crakered by the time I had hold of her and covered in scratches, bugs and bits of twig. It was well worth getting into the shrub though as there was a old bucket under there with some rank water in it and I think she had been drinking that the silly girl. She was very good about every thing today though and took plenty of yoghurt. She looks a lot better this evening so I am hoping that every thing is going according to plan.
    Victoria and Lady Jane are the two that don't like to be picked up or fussed. My other four are just the opposite and love a cuddle and fuss.
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2010 9:37pm (Jul 1st 2010)

I'm glad she's feeling a little better now NN, what a worry! Good job you knew what to do for her.
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2010 9:42pm (Jul 1st 2010)

Thank you Kate, I am sure it was the rank water that caused it. Why on earth do they drink the dirty water when they have three sources of clean fresh water ?
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2010 9:44pm (Jul 1st 2010)

Who knows!! I had a cat that would rather drink from a puddle than a bowl! Animals are very confusing.
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2010 10:09pm (Jul 1st 2010)

When i empty the water i have around the garden on to the ground and fill with fresh they drink the old stuff that is rolling down the garden yukkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2010 12:52am (Jul 2nd 2010)

Ellie-dog insists on drinking dirty water rather than drink from her bowl....
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2010 6:47pm (Jul 2nd 2010)

Perhaps it's the (to them) stink of fluoride?
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2010 8:22pm (Jul 2nd 2010)

Good thought CC,
    Kimmi likes to have a drink of the hens water even though it has the cider apple vinigar in it !!!