• CommentAuthorv111
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2010 12:01am (Jul 9th 2010)

hi every one i have just turned vegan at 27 years of age and i feel great,but i really need help with vegan products what i can buy like butter bread cream etc does eny 1 live in the uk.Im in london????
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2010 12:14pm (Jul 9th 2010)

I went vegan just after my 16th birthday and i'm 20 now (21 in three months :smile: ) Being vegan is a lot easier than it seems at first!

Butter - Vitalite is vegan; but I usually get Pure butter, either sunflower or the other sort (can't remember what it is now!)

Alpro - they do some great things; their cream is gorgeous, and they do the nicest custard ever too!! You can usually get them just from the supermarkets, and most supermarkets do their own brand of soya milk too, that only costs like 60p.

Bread - most bread is suitable for vegans, just check the allergy advice for 'contains milk' or whatever. I've never found a problem with bread, other than the milk rolls and stuff like that. Supermarkets own baked fresh bread can be a bit iffy as they rarely have ingredients, so i stay away from them.

Also, bourbon biscuits (you know the chocolate ones with the cream stuff in the middle?) yeah, well most of them are vegan-friendly = YUM! :hungry: And Tesco digestive biscuits are suitable for vegans, but most others contain milk.

Pizza places like Domino's and Pizza Hut are more than willing to do vegan pizzas; just ask for one without cheese, or take in your own vegan cheese for them to put on and they will! Word of warning, Pizza Hut tomato base sauce isn't vegan, so ask for them to use the barbecue based sauce.

A lot of cereals that you wouldn't expect to be vegan are, such as coco pops, choco shreddies etc.

I'm pretty certain all Quorn products contain egg; but many Linda McCartney (sp?) products are vegan, such as the sausages and pies, which are really nice!

Oh, also, most supermarkets have a 'free from' section, and these can offer tasty vegan food! Check each product twice though, because those marked 'dairy free' can still contain eggs...very confusing. Sainsbury's do vegan chocolate buttons (white ones too!) and they are lovely. They also sell vegan mayonnaise which is my favourite mayonnaise ever!!

Chocolate bars...supermarkets offer vegan chocolate bars; but Fry's chocolate bars, which you can get from supermarkets, news agents, garden centres etc along with non-vegan choccy bars, are also vegan. They're really nice and taste like 'normal' chocolate bars :laugh:

Oh oh, go look in the frozen section too, vegan ice-cream is really lovely but i can't remember what the company is called. It comes in a black hexagonal plastic container and is lovely :smile:

Hope that helps!!
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2010 12:15pm (Jul 9th 2010)

Oh, :welcome: too by the way!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2010 12:21pm (Jul 9th 2010)

hello, V111. welcome and that is plenty of advice that Red has given you.

why don't you also check out the Vegetarian Society.
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2010 11:07pm (Jul 9th 2010)

Welcome V111! Red, that was a great post - I'm surprised how many things are vegan that I hadn't realised.

Can I ask about eggs. I can understand why you don't drink milk from previous posts you and Neil have made, but eggs are not 'forced' so I would've thought they'd be acceptable? Is there a logic around why vegans don't eat them?
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2010 1:29pm (Jul 10th 2010)

Good question, Kate.

What happens to the hens who lay the eggs when they are considered too old to be of use any more? Most often when they are only a year or two old? They are killed, in exactly the same way that battery hens are. Strung upside-down, painfully shackled, throat slit in a grimy abattoir.

And even free-range hens very, very rarely enjoy a happy lifestyle. They can be kept cramped inside sheds for the majority of the daylight hours and still be considered free-range because they are allowed out for an hour or two. And the hens you see in fields who belong to local farmers are more than likely false moulted; whereby they will be starved until they are forced to loose their feathers, thereby speeding up the process and meaning they will begin laying quicker.

Some vegans eat their own chickens' eggs, but Tilly and Penny came from a farmer, and Milly came from a farm that sold eggs and meat, so they are still part of the cycle...*shrug* just my thoughts, anyhoo.
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2010 1:35pm (Jul 10th 2010)

My chickens are descended from the time Wendy's cousin went to Aylesbury Market, got drunk and woke up next morning with five chickens. In his flat. On the third floor.
    Want some eggs, Red? :rolling:
    Mind you, they ARE badly treated, wot with being evicted and forced to sleep in a mansion. :\
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2010 12:02am (Jul 11th 2010)

It was the home-bred/laid ones I was wondering about. I understand your thinking though Red, very valid points. I learn so much from this site!

Are they still not happy with you CC?!
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2010 8:18pm (Jul 11th 2010)

I think i'm forgiven...although they didn't like being picked up and so walk wide circles round me now!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2010 1:49pm (Jul 12th 2010)

Kate,

Vegans don't eat eggs because the the Vegan ethic is not to eat anyting that is an animal by product, hence no milk, eggs, honey....

Have a look on www.vegansoc.com
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2010 8:42pm (Jul 12th 2010)

I suppose that's where I struggle to understand it. I get the milk part, that's been explained previously by Red and Neil, but hens that have been bred and kept at home aren't forced to lay eggs, so if they're not eaten they're thrown away which seems wasteful! Honey I'm not sure - I know its the bees winter store but don't know if they produce more than required?

I suppose its easier to say "no animal by-product" than to justify why (or why not) each item can or can't be eaten. It was the eggs that particularly confused me! Thanks for all the info.
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2010 12:51pm (Jul 13th 2010)

Posted By: Katebbut hens that have been bred and kept at home aren't forced to lay eggs, so if they're not eaten they're thrown away which seems wasteful!

I see what you are saying Kate, but from a vegan point of view, for every hen there should also be a cockerel, but you very rarely see a group of hens with the same number of cockerels.

Why? Because the cockerels have been killed at the time of hatching or shortly after.

Although we weren't part of that (we bought our hens at point of lay around 18 weeks and no roosters around), it's a sad fact that because nobody wants roosters the vast majority end up as soup etc.

I can't condone that, but I don't know what they could do about it either, but I'm happy to eat eggs, especially the lovely ones we get from our hens!

It's definitely easier just been veggie :-)
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2010 1:50pm (Jul 13th 2010)

I agree Neil, I find it easier to be a veggie but can totally understand the vegan point of view.
    As for milk, the cow has to be kept 'in calf' to keep producing milk, and if the calf that is born is a male calf (what is that called in English?) it is sent off to be killed for it's meat, and if it is a female cow (again I don't know the word in English for that) then it is kept, only to be bred from to keep the milk supply going. Remember the cow produces milk to feed it's own calf, not us.

My Mum who is a vegetarian too will not touch eggs----ever, ever, ever...but she will have milk and she will have honey. So there you go. :-) I know my Mum is odd anyway.:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2010 10:52pm (Jul 13th 2010)

Yes, Neil explained about milk to me a while ago. It was a real shocker!

If there was a cockrel for each hen, wouldn't that mean extensive fighting, bloodshed and suffering?!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 14th, 2010 3:30pm (Jul 14th 2010)

And noise, don't forget noise...
    • CommentTimeJul 14th, 2010 10:30pm (Jul 14th 2010)

See, that's a non-chicken owner for you - I didn't even think of the noise! There'd be no more lie-ins for anyone EVER!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2010 12:37pm (Jul 15th 2010) edited

Posted By: KatebYes, Neil explained about milk to me a while ago. It was a real shocker!

Surely that doesn't justify killing them in a horribly cruel fashion?!?!

The fact of the matter is, the majority of roosters that are killed are killed because the hens will go into the egg industry - and male chickens have no use there! A massive number of hens in the UK are used in industrial farming, that is as battery hens, free-range or barn chickens, so think of how many roosters are not needed and are killed. They are sexed as day-old chicks, and the male ones are either gassed to death (so suffocate) or are thrown into a dumpster with all the other day-old male chicks, and eventually the weight of all the chicks on top of the ones at the bottom cause them to suffocate, whilst the ones on top die of starvation or due to the cold.

As for in a more free, happy environment...the ostrich farm lets all their chickens hatch naturally; there are roosters roaming about with other roosters and hens. Yes, they are noisy, but never ever have I seen any fighting. And the only injuries are to a few of the female hens who are over-sexed!! The roosters will set up their own hierarchy as long as they have enough space; each rooster will own his own bit of territory and have his own females, and there will rarely be any fighting, especially severe fighting...although of course some breeds are more vicious.

So, no, I don't believe there would be a problem, so long as they were given the space needed and not kept confined.

• CommentTimeJul 15th, 2010 5:56pm (Jul 15th 2010)

Posted By: RedYou can also keep roosters in 'bachelor' pads, where they just live with other roosters. If there are no females around, they won't fight.

I never knew that! My friend Wendy had two cockerels, one out the back garden, one at the front, and they'd have crowing contests!
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2010 7:34pm (Jul 15th 2010)

Posted By: Red
    Posted By: Kateb

Surely that doesn't justify killing them in a horribly cruel fashion?!?!

Ooo no, I didn't mean it was justification - I don't! - It was a badly phrased question about whether that would be the outcome to lots of cockrels in one farm! There is never any justification for cruelty to any animal.

I think the bachelor pad idea would be a very interesting experiment to see how they did all get on. Maybe we could try it with human males first. I can volunteer 3 ... please!

Thanks for the explanation - nice to see even CC has learnt something new - and she's got chickens!
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2010 6:53pm (Jul 16th 2010) edited

Ah, but only by accident...:) That's why I was so grateful to find this site to guide me through the minefield that is chicken-owning!
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2010 10:11pm (Jul 16th 2010)

Have they settled in the mansion yet CC?
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2010 3:23pm (Jul 17th 2010) edited

Yes, but they all huddle together in one corner...might as well have left them in the hutch! :tearhair::D
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2010 5:53pm (Jul 17th 2010)

Maybe they'll use a different corner each night. If they're used to huddling then its hard to break the habit. Or, swap them with the rabbits. I'm sure they'd appreciate the space!
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2010 9:48pm (Jul 17th 2010)

The rabbits have already been in, looked around and knocked down the perches. Jealousy, I think...Livia and Onion will be rattling around in it after Lemon and Senead have gone!
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2010 10:41pm (Jul 17th 2010)

Where are they going?
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2010 11:08pm (Jul 17th 2010)

Wendy, my friend, is going to take them. She wants a breeding pair. And since no hens arrived, it's best if she takes Sinead with Lemon, so they won't be alone.
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2010 9:23pm (Jul 18th 2010)

Back to your original 2 then, until they get around to breeding again!
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2010 2:49pm (Jul 19th 2010)

Yes...though Onion is about 5 now, and to judge by the last batch may be firing a few blanks now! :D
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2010 3:43pm (Jul 19th 2010)

Really?! I didn't realise he was such an old 'gent'!
    • CommentTimeJul 20th, 2010 5:08pm (Jul 20th 2010)

Yes, I got him in 2005 I reckon.