• CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJul 21st, 2010 6:42pm (Jul 21st 2010)

Peanut has not eaten for three days but is drinking. She mostly stands under the hedge but does venture out when it got cooler in the early evening. She laid an egg on Monday but nothing since.

However, she was all bloated and squishy in the crop yesterday so I emptied her out - having had plenty of practice with Rosie. It was vile and smelly and had a lot of undigested green leafy matter. So I gave her a dose of raw garlic mixed in live yoghurt by syringe. By last night, she seemed to have perked up a little.

Today, she was standing up in the coop but her eyes were half-closed (sleepy looking). She managed to climb down the ramp and had a little drink but still not eating. I emptied her crop out again, not so much as yesterday but more pasty rather than the liquid yesterday.

I did notice her bum was doing a lot of twitching like she needed to poo so she got the garlic again but with a little olive oil to help the passage.

I have just come home and she is standing in exactly the same place as I left her this morning! Her crop has gone done considerably but then she still isn't eating. Her comb/wattle is very pale but her eyes are more open. Her bum is still visibly pulsating but she did just do a slimy poo which was part black and part white and had olive oil in it, so I know that the blockage in the crop has at least moved to let the oil pass through.

I am worried about the not eating, she is a bit wobbly on her pins now. Any suggestions? All the other girls are happy and healthy.
    • CommentTimeJul 21st, 2010 11:27pm (Jul 21st 2010) edited

Not sure really, it's one of those problems where i think the vet might be the best bet.

This sounds familiar to two illnesses' my hens experienced, both unknown, and both sadly ended in their death...so a vets' help could be very helpful.

One was Eva, our ex-bat, who had a similar problem in that she wasn't eating, lethargic and was drinking LOTS. Her illness was undiagnosed and sadly she passed away after a week or so.

The second was Libby, who was Tilly and Penny's sister, and she died from being egg bound. When we found her one morning, she couldn't walk and had lost all apetite. She died from blood poisoning before we could get her to the vets.

Have you felt her stomach to see if you can feel a hard lump that could be an egg?
    A warm bath could help too.

Try giving the crop frequent massages, keep on plain simple food (try just feeding her yoghurt, with access to water, for 24 hours) and try restrict her access to grass if possible.

Hope she recovers.
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2010 5:20pm (Jul 22nd 2010)

Sorry to hear that Peanut isnt very well Volka. I hope you are able to save her. My hen Amber died last week I did cry and I really miss her she loved being with me and having a good fuss.
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2010 7:02pm (Jul 22nd 2010)

Oh NN I am really sorry about Amber it is so sad but we must remember the greatness that they were!!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2010 10:27pm (Jul 22nd 2010)

I'm sorry about Amber too NN - its so sad to lose a much loved pet.

How is Peanut today Volka? Is she showing any improvement?
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2010 4:23pm (Jul 23rd 2010)

:heart: Sorry about Amber, NN...horrible to lose a loved pet...
    Is Peanut any better today, Volka?