• CommentAuthorfereday
    • CommentTimeAug 20th, 2010 3:53pm (Aug 20th 2010) edited

It is an utter disgrace that garden centres and petshops are climbing on to a bandwaggon in selling birds. Dobbies, owned by Tesco!, are a classic.
    Visited a shop, young boy knew nothing about the girls, where they had come from or whether they were vaccinated and for what, don't think he even understood the word, and no-one else knew either!
    They appear to be selling at high prices, to recover their high overheads and have no veterinary advice or nominated practitioner,and know nothing about their welfare. Even possibly as bad is that, they are basically using the birds as window dressing to sell ghastly,cheap coops, many from China, with felt roofs, and, in this case, did not know what red mite were or where they tended to infest in houses, or how to treat the birds!
    There needs to be some intervention from Trading Standards or legislation to stop what is nothing short of a 3rd world type scandal... comments please!.............? how about writing letters to Trading Standards, bona fide chicken resellers and breeders are controlled, and have to comply with keeping records...these people are not having to comply with anything as yet.
    • CommentTimeAug 20th, 2010 6:52pm (Aug 20th 2010) edited

Well said fareday it is a dreadful thought.We are just about at long last to ban the caged birds which is a start and then these petshops selling birds they no nothing about to people that no nothing about them either!!!! another recipe for disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant_red2: Oh Hello buy the way and welcome to a great place!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeAug 20th, 2010 7:31pm (Aug 20th 2010)

Hear hear - if you look back on the forum, you'll see that our very own Red made the same complaint and sent the place concerned a snottagram- hope you'll do the same!
    • CommentTimeAug 20th, 2010 9:23pm (Aug 20th 2010)

I've heard of Dobbies but don't know if there's one around here - didn't know Tesco owned them! They are very good at marketing and will have realised there is a market for this sort of thing. As usual the customer will suffer (inferior products, probably unhealthy birds), and the birds are just another commodity to be sold off for quick profit.

Perhaps you should write to the manager of the store, copy in the Tesco senior executive, copy to RSPCA, Trading Standards, Environmental Health, Newspapers and local TV.

Is there legislation around the sale of chickens and pets and having named veterinary care/trained staff?
    • CommentAuthorfereday
    • CommentTimeAug 21st, 2010 10:05am (Aug 21st 2010)

Yes,for instance,Trading standards require resellers to list locations of individual sales,Defra wish any flocks being maintained by one organisation are registered with them, whether that applies to high street retailers, I do not know. May I suggest a poll on this subject to send to relevant organisations that Kateb suggests,more voices are better than one?
    • CommentAuthorfereday
    • CommentTimeAug 21st, 2010 10:08am (Aug 21st 2010)

unfortunately, at this stage,initial media coverage would probably only serve to give them free publicity as one can never control the editorial output
    • CommentTimeAug 21st, 2010 8:50pm (Aug 21st 2010)

Completely agree to all that's been said, it would be hard to stop the casual "impulse buyer", I think the best you can hope for initially is to at least get your point of view on the 'net so that those that do research can be better informed.

Getting the message to everyone else probably involves educating the store (and reporting them if necessary to enforce any changes required), so they can offer a better service in turn.
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd, 2010 8:03am (Aug 22nd 2010)

Don,t you feel that sometimes when it comes to Chickens you take one step forward and then two steps back all the time!!!!! I guess thats what you have to deal with when you are so good at being a chicken!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd, 2010 12:53pm (Aug 23rd 2010) edited

I always get really annoyed with vets, most of them know next to nothing about chickens. That's the thing that annoys me about chickens more than anything else. People selling chickens and aren't aware of red mite is bad enough, but a vet not knowing is, in my opinion, 10x worse! I'll never forget the way the 'farm' vet treat Milly, the stupid :cursing: .

Then there's the fact that you take a chicken with an impacted crop and most won't have a clue what to do and some, eventually, will put the chicken down...in actual fact, as a last resort, there is an operation that can be done and is usually totally successful. But when Milly had an impacted crop we had to sort it out ourselves and work our way through it. I just feel like all the vets have done when we've had pet chickens is shrug their shoulders and left me to try sort it out...all they've been good for is having them put down.

Rant over :blush:
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd, 2010 9:35pm (Aug 23rd 2010)

You rant away Red. Vets get well trained in the 'money-earning' animals such as cattle, horses, dogs, cats etc, but not the more unusual and 'expendable' pets like rats, hamsters, chickens. It took me ages to find a vet who had any idea of what to do with my rats. I wouldn't know where to find a chicken vet!
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd, 2010 11:16pm (Aug 23rd 2010)

Thanks Kate! I remember when Martha got a tumour and we took her to three vets to see if it was operatable (sp?); one was scared of mice (no kidding) and the other two had no idea and said leave her till she needed to be PTS.
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2010 10:11pm (Aug 24th 2010)

Yes, I'm positive 2 of the vets I saw were scared of rats. If the one had stood any closer to the wall he'd have been a coat of paint!
    • CommentAuthorfereday
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2010 1:28pm (Aug 25th 2010)

ATTN: MODERATOR
    Is the forum capable of getting names to form a poll to petition against Petstores and garden centres in continuing to sell live chickens unchecked!?
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2010 3:49pm (Aug 25th 2010)

Posted By: KatebIf the one had stood any closer to the wall he'd have been a coat of paint!

:rolling: You do make me larf, Kate!:tooth:
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2010 8:23pm (Aug 25th 2010)

oh Kate you do come out with some comical things, sounds like he would have been better off as a coat of paint !!!
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2010 10:02pm (Aug 25th 2010)

A coat of paint would've been more useful! He wouldn't give Molly the antibiotics I thought she needed. He even went and photocopied a page out of the small animal formulary stating how "wrong" I was! A friend mailed me proof that I was right, but the next time I went there it was to have poor Molly euthenised so I didn't have the heart for a fight. I only saw him because my usual vet was off - won't make that mistake again!!
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2010 8:21pm (Aug 26th 2010)

Oh thats so sad Kate poor little girl
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2010 10:07pm (Aug 26th 2010)

That's partly why I won't get any more rats in the near future (maybe in the distant future I will). I worry that my vet will move away and then what would I do.

Next pet I get will be my maine coon, but there's no rush.
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2010 6:34pm (Aug 27th 2010)

Yes there is!!!
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2010 11:30pm (Aug 27th 2010)

No - I promised I wouldn't get one until my current cats have left this earthly coil. (Is that the right expression?!) So if I hurry up the Maine Coon, I'm rushing their demise. I can wait ...
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2010 2:31pm (Aug 29th 2010)

Ah all right; we'll let you off!