• CommentTimeSep 8th, 2010 8:20pm (Sep 8th 2010)

Great excitment we went and got our new girls today. The farmer only had Black, Blue or speckled hens ready so rather than wait until he had his full range we said we would have one Speckled and one Blue.
    When we got there ha had got three ready for us as one speckled had just started laying he didn't know if we would want her. You know what I did don't you........ I said I wanted all three !!!
      ello ello ello.jpg
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2010 8:24pm (Sep 8th 2010)

So we now have Baby Blue, Little Specks and Jeanie Trews in the gazebo for a few days until the others are used to them. They made such a clatter showing off in front of the newbies this afternoon. I only got a few pictures as I didn't want to unsettle them on their first day.
      newbies.jpg
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2010 8:25pm (Sep 8th 2010)

This is Jeanie Trews she has feathers down the outside of her legs.
      Jeanie Trews.jpg
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2010 8:33pm (Sep 8th 2010)

Sorry they are not very good pictures, it is very shady in the gazebo now the grape vines have grown round most of it. They have settled in very well and have been eating and drinking well. I was a tad dismayed to discover that the tips of their beaks had been clipped. They should grow them back as it is only the very tip. The Breeders sometimes do it when they are small chicks to stop them pecking each other if they are kept in packed conditions.
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2010 8:53pm (Sep 8th 2010)

They are gorgeous NN, you're so lucky! :heartsabove:

I love them! Bless their little beaks, hope they return to normal soon :)
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2010 9:00pm (Sep 8th 2010)

Thank you Red, I knew you would be chuffed buckets for me. I wish you could be here to see them they are just the cutest. I know it is so sad about the beaks I just don't agree with doing that. Half the gazebo is covered with a wood floor and they couldn't managed to pick up the grain Grandad North scattered on there for them, it made me want to cry for them. Still I know they will be spoilt and pampered like my others.
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2010 9:03pm (Sep 8th 2010)

Yes, they're in the best place to be spoiled and looked after :)

They are beautiful, real cuties. Jeanie has such magnificent tail feathers! I can't wait till I can have loads of chickens :D
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2010 9:16pm (Sep 8th 2010)

Specs is moulting at the moment and has no tail feathers at all she does look comical, and was quite upset when Jay laughed at her. I named Jeanie Trew due to her leg feathers as in denim jeans and scottish trousers being called trews.
    It will be lovely when you can have your own hens, what types would you like best of all?
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2010 9:24pm (Sep 8th 2010)

Haha, that name is inspired! I got the 'trews' reference, but not the Jeanie :laugh:

I was wondering the other day if Tilly and Penny are moulting yet. If not they will be soon...and Tilly always takes months to moult, loses practically all her feathers, and then is freezing in the harshest weather, bless her.

I have a lot of breeds I'd like, so will have to make sure I don't get them all at once!

I really want some Naked Necks...am I weird for thinking they're cute?! Really want a Silkie, have always wanted one, and shall have to get some Orpingtons. Sebrights and Japanese bantams are some favourites too, and I'll have to get some ex-bats of course. Oh, and a Poland or two! :bigsmile:

Lyle has his own mini list since I got him addicted to chickens!

He wants an asil and shamo (the massive, aggressive ones that look like dinosaurs!), a mordern game and a Sultan.

Don't know if I'm more exited about getting a dog or some chickens...
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2010 9:42pm (Sep 8th 2010)

Cor thats a list and a half Red. Best you get a house with plenty of land !!!!
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2010 9:44pm (Sep 8th 2010)

They are splendid NN! I love the colour of baby blue, and the speckled hens look very plump!! I hope they settle in quickly and they're beaks return to how they should be.
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2010 11:54pm (Sep 8th 2010)

• CommentTimeSep 9th, 2010 1:09pm (Sep 9th 2010)

Beautiful new hennies NN they are lucky indeed to have you for their 'mum'.
    • CommentTimeSep 9th, 2010 2:19pm (Sep 9th 2010) edited

Posted By: nanny northCor thats a list and a half Red. Best you get a house with plenty of land !!!!

I think I'll only be able to fulfill my list when we get our sanctuary up and running :smile:

Posted By: ollie in UKRed. Hope none of those hens on your list are those awful 'deformed' types that scare the daylights out of me.

Do you mean the broiler chickens that are bred for meat, Ollie? If so, I certainly don't want any of those!

And a 6 week old broiler chick with a 6 week old normal chick:

I couldn't have one of those because of all their health issues; even if given a chance they rarely live more than a year because their heart just gives out.
    • CommentTimeSep 9th, 2010 7:43pm (Sep 9th 2010)

The poor things it is heartbreaking, they have no life whatso ever.

Thanks Kate and Julie. I feel real lucky to have them. One of them laid an egg this morning it was a real small cute one like a bantie egg. Grandad North was so pleased, as he was the one who discovered it.
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2010 8:47pm (Sep 10th 2010)

I got two eggs this morning from the new girls, and then found another when I was cleaning out the cat carrier we brought then home in. So thats Four eggs since we got them. They are all doing fine and are really enjoying all the new treats they are getting.
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2010 9:18pm (Sep 10th 2010)

That's lovely; they must feel at home already, NN!
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2010 9:23pm (Sep 10th 2010)

I hope so although they were a tad upset when the others went to bed and they were unable to follow. I don't want to mix them together just yet as Baby Blue is a lot younger and her beak is a bit to short to be able to peck back. I saw Goldie give her a good peck this afternoon through the netting. I will see how they go after a few more days.
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2010 10:27pm (Sep 10th 2010)

NN They are lovely. The speckled ones are the same as my Shirley and she has feathers down her legs to i thought she was just a freak but obviously not i must say though NN Shirley is my most nervous Hen it must be the breed it will be interesting to see if yours are the same keep us informed.
    • CommentTimeSep 11th, 2010 9:59pm (Sep 11th 2010)

Thank you Lee, I am thrilled to bits with them, they are lovely strong little hens. I thought I had got an unusual hen in Jeanie Trews with the feathered legs, it is funny we both got one like it. I already had a speckled hen and she is a real sweetie but a tad shy. I have a soft spot for speckled hens anyhow so was glad to have more.
    • CommentTimeSep 11th, 2010 10:56pm (Sep 11th 2010)

I remember that about Eva, even though the other three would peck her like crazy whenever they saw her, she wanted so badly to be in the coop and going to bed with them!

Will you put them in all at once, or let them range together for a few hours a day? I always found adding new hens the trickiest part of keeping chickens...I know you have to let them fight it out, but it's always so horrible to watch. I'm always interested in how others add new hens to their flock...
    • CommentTimeSep 12th, 2010 9:32pm (Sep 12th 2010)

I dread that part of it to be honest Red but as Baby Blue is so much younger will leave it a bit longer. It is ok while it isn't cold as they have no enclosed bedroom in the gazebo. They have a roosting bar and are quite dry and windproof. Baby Blue has got a couple of bald bits on her head already from sticking it out through the wire. She is just so cute. I will try and get some better pictures during the week
    • CommentTimeSep 12th, 2010 10:12pm (Sep 12th 2010)

Aw bless her, what a darling. Look forward to the pics of her :)

I've heard you can put new hens in with the others at night, but have never tried it...I think it's the worst part about hens, having to introduce new ones into the flock!
    • CommentTimeSep 13th, 2010 7:56pm (Sep 13th 2010)

I will put mine in at night when I think they are ready as it is the best way. I will keep you all posted on that.
    • CommentTimeSep 14th, 2010 10:04pm (Sep 14th 2010)

Jay called me during the night to say that the new hens were calling and sounded upset. We grabbed torches and shot outside. It was extremely windy and we think that upset them. They were down on the ground and very pleased to see us. I decided that we would have to put them into the coop with the others. Jay slipped them onto the perch in the spaces between the other hens, and then we blacked out the window as I didnt want them to get up to early and start on each other in the coop. I went out at seven to let them out and they were all fine unscuffed and not a feather ruffled. I kept an eye on them all day and they had the odd set to but nothing major. Little Specks and Jeanie Trews even layed their eggs in the nesting box which was real good. I herded them all in tonight so they all realised that was the new rule. So it is fingers crossed that we are over the main hurdle now.
    • CommentTimeSep 14th, 2010 10:15pm (Sep 14th 2010)

That sounds very positive NN! I hope they all continue to get along nicely!
    • CommentTimeSep 14th, 2010 10:42pm (Sep 14th 2010)

Sounds like a good first day NN, hurray for all of them! Poor little mites scared of the wind :)
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2010 1:13pm (Sep 16th 2010) edited

Here is the latest news on the hens. I now have two tribes in the garden !!! The new bottom of the garden tribe for the newbies and the top of the garden Tribe for the oldies. In the middle there is a risk it and see area that they all venture into every so often.
    Baby Blue darts in and out of the middle area just to annoy the oldies as she doesn't like to miss anything. I did have to laugh yesterday as Little Specs had infiltrated the oldies tribe while Big Specs was in the hen house, She got a good peck from Big Specs and another from Auntie Beak when Big Specs returned from laying her egg !!!!!
    The are all still together at night although the new ones are still a bit nervous about going in to bed, and I have to physically put them on the perch once the others are in. Once in they are all ok together though.
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2010 3:44pm (Sep 16th 2010)

Well done NN that sounds great what you have done it is never a good time to introduce new girls is it I had to watch my new girls getting pecked all the time very upsetting indeed.
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2010 7:38pm (Sep 16th 2010)

Lovely to hear that they're getting along all right. Such a shame that the poor New Girls have never heard/felt the wind blow. Still, they've fallen on their feet now!
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2010 8:11pm (Sep 16th 2010)

Talking about feet I went to get them in the bedroom tonight as I was a tad nervous they would get stranded by the dark as the oldies were messing about in and out for ages and the newbies dare not go in. One suddenly decided she would roost up in the apple tree and I just managed to catch her by the foot before she got out of reach. Poor girl it was a bit undignified but she is safely inside with the others now. The good thing is they are not getting bullied... of course they get the odd peck but nothing serious.
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2010 8:37pm (Sep 16th 2010)

Glad it seems to be going so well NN...Penny once got stuck in our conifers once, she had decided to roost about 7 feet up and my dad had to get her down with step ladders :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2010 8:49pm (Sep 16th 2010)

I just have this picture NN of you stretching up and just grabbing her foot :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2010 8:55pm (Sep 16th 2010)

Ha ha a fat little old lady pulling a chicken from an apple tree sounds real funny now you come to mention it !!! Hee hee.
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2010 8:58pm (Sep 16th 2010)

Amazing how she got up there. An the chicken....:rolling:
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2010 9:01pm (Sep 16th 2010)

Practice getting Sootz out of there CC. I don't know what it is about the apple tree !!
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2010 10:35pm (Sep 16th 2010)

A photo of it would've been great - it would've looked like the chicken was flying away with a "little old lady" (as she calls herself!) attached to its foot!
    • CommentTimeSep 17th, 2010 7:07am (Sep 17th 2010)

You can see it now the neighbors looking out of there windows saying what is that up in the sky!!!!!! oh it,s only NN,S hen taking her for a fly again LOL!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeSep 17th, 2010 6:50pm (Sep 17th 2010)

Ha ha you do make me larf. The neighbours might be thinking hey she might be going somewhere posh tonight she is going by hen rather than broomstick. Hee hee