• CommentTimeApr 11th, 2011 4:21pm (Apr 11th 2011)

Ooo, where's me 'at? :D
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2011 9:46pm (Apr 11th 2011)

That's great news TM! Trev must be very happy right now and it will be great to have something to look forward to.
    • CommentTimeApr 12th, 2011 7:27am (Apr 12th 2011)

Brilliant news TM i am really happy and pleased for you something really good to look forward to. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 7:44pm (Apr 14th 2011)

Wonderful news Julie I am so pleased for you all. The very best news we have had for a while lets hope a little rubs off on us all.
    • CommentTimeApr 15th, 2011 3:52am (Apr 15th 2011)

Julie that is wonderful news!!! I'm so happy for all of you. Do you have the Wedding date yet? :clap:
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2011 5:00am (Apr 17th 2011)

Thanks folks, it is lovely news, no wedding date yet for Trev and Anna. I already have a really lovely outfit (purple of course) for if the weather is pleasanrt so we will have to see what date they pick. It has to be this year though as that is part of the condition of visa.

The Royal wedding approaches, must go find my feathery hat!!!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 1:27am (May 16th 2011) edited

Dear friends,:heart:
    (I felt like writing a letter)

What's happening in your life? Here is a summary of our latest adventures.
    Trevor and his fiancee Anna arrived last week from China :bear: amidst much excitment and a 24 hour delay due to bad weather. We still caught up here on mothers day and it was an enjoyable family afternoon. Anna is settling in and starts a course today to improve her English. She is such a sweety and I can't wait to hear what their wedding plans are. There are some wonderful pics to post as soon I get organised.

Brian has been very busy, he has just finished a 2 week job as theatre manager at our local amateur 'Woodbin' theatre which our group uses and we have been members for 35 years. A professional company hired the place for 2 weeks and he had to be on site for several days setting up (he ended up helping to build sets and paint just like the old days)then popping down to open up for daytime access and again each night from 6.30 for 12 performances plus they did 2 shows on the saturdays and sundays.

I was flat out keeping the ship afloat:juggle: here, making sure he could walk in and out for meals and fielding calls, looking after Thomas the Cat, having the grand daughter for sleep over, spending the day in Melbourne last week at the King Tut exhibition which was really really interesting, but I was useless for a day or two after. Many folk were disapponted that the actual head mask was not included in the exhibition as from the media and promos you do get the impression you will see it. It was damaged during it's last outing so now remains at home.

Today Brian is helping them move out of theatre then he's home by lunch time and I suggest a nice hot bath as it's freezing here (well cold for us Aussies anyway).:weather_rain: We have had a very long pleasant summer/autumn and now the cold snap has hit and we are all trying to adjust.

As he works from home it has been strange not having him around much but no doubt I will soon be saying 'will you leave those biscuits alone :cookie:they are for later' or 'dont walk on the floor, it's wet aaarrgghhhhh':face-smile:
    Oh well at least he was here this morning for the important stuff when the cat was sick in the hallway, then he walked in it.....the cat not Brian. :loco:

We had our vet Richard and his wife over for tea a couple of weeks ago and expected a reaction from Thomas 'what the heck are you doing here and I do not want anything stuck in me thanks' :gasp: but he was fine, he climbed up and sat on Lisa's knee and even ate a morsel of cheese from Richard himself. They said it was really lovely and interesting to see Thomas in his home environment. He is now 19 and two thirds years old, come September and another big cake and celebration I think. :drinkparty: :cat:

My book group has shrunk but we still meet here once a month and love our vigorous discussions. We have just read The Road by Cormack McCarthy but it was heavy going for some of us.
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen was a winner, we all gave it 5 out of 5 and the movie has just opened here last week.

Has anyone watched Grand Designs on tele? I discovered the series last year and borrowed the DVD's from library and worked my way thru most of them during my bad insomnia phase. Now there is a series Grand Designs- Revisited on tv each evening so I have been recording that. I absolutely love it: Old barns, castles, eco homes, glass boxes in the middle of London, you name it people build or renovate it, I'm just glad it's not me doing it! One of the nicest things is that I get to see so many beautiful areas of the UK. They even went to Italy for one amzing restoration.

Hoping all your hens and other pets are well and you are all enjoying the nice Spring weather. :cat::elvis::dog: :bunny_cute::bunny::cat2::chicken::chinchilla::grubby_duck::mouse2::milly_hen::frog1::fish::meuh:
    :running_dog::rat::squirrel::turkeydance::small-chick::zzzzz-chick::mouse::cat:
    Well here are my 'non hennish' ramblings.

cheers to you all:rainbow:
    Julie
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 7:32am (May 16th 2011)

Gosh Julie life sounds very busy for you and very nice at the same time.
    Yes grand designs is a great program and glad to here Trevor and Anna are doing well. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 9:38am (May 16th 2011)

I was lucky enough to see TUT exhibition when in London in 1972. Queued for four hours to get in but my, it was worth it! I was a bit disappointed with the mask. It was rather scruffy.
    The jewelery was fantastic!

Yes, they won't let the mask out of Egypt now. It lies in the museum in the Square where all the demonstrations were happening earlier this year. I held my breath all the time watching the explosions etc, hoping the relics weren't damaged. There was a little damage but not in that part of the building.

Tut's body is still in The Valley and now on exhibition in a special glass coffin.

I have a full size picture of the mask on my bedroom door. The door is all glass and when the light shines through the mask gleams wonderfully.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 5:11pm (May 16th 2011)

We have a Grand Designs house near us that was never finished as the plans were unrealistic and the money ran out! Eric being a builder there's quite a bit of tutting a headshaking goes on; and I'd hate to live in a glass box with no STUFF in it! But I find it quite fascinating nonetheless.
    Any date for the wedding yet, Julie? Got to look a hat out and oil the bike chain - long way down there, although Reggie rabbit seems to be intent on digging me a short cut...
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 10:06pm (May 16th 2011)

Lovely to catch up on all your news Julie I really enjoyed reading your letter.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 10:11pm (May 16th 2011)

What a lovely letter TM! Is Trev's chinese better than Anna's english?! It will be a very exciting process I'm sure, and I hope Anna will allow you to join in and help out.

I love Grand Designs as the buildings are so varied. I am sure that they have professional cleaners in before the final shots are done, and I always imagine a huge lorry parked around the corner with all their 'mess' in! Where do they put all the rubbish I have stuffed in corners and cupboards? They never seem to build in much storage!

I always love to hear about Thomas - glad he doesn't hold a grudge!
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2011 10:05am (Sep 5th 2011)

Ok where do I start.. firstly...Trevor surprised us at the weekend with news he and Anna will get married in 3 weeks, Sunday Sept 25th at the Geelong Botanic Gardens, oh my God....we are surprised at how soon, not the actual event of course as their deadline is new years eve 2011. Lucky we are free!!!

Havent a thing to wear, seriously. Brian has a lovely dinner suit and shirt and tie, men are so much easier to dress. Brian will be printing invites this week. I dont know what to do next? Think I need a strong drink some chocolate and a pen and paper.:face-smile:

Further to that we have a new male at our house....a dear little black guinea pig, we are GP-sitting for about a fortnight, for a friend who has gone to hospital. I will take a photo of him, he is getting used to us and not so jumpy now when we walk outside. Thomas doesnt seem very interested at all, just sniffed him and strolled off and although the budgie, Cleo has been quite vocal I told her it's only for a short time.

I can see him in his cage outside our glass sliding doors. He is called Yappy and chits and chats away to himself.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2011 2:43pm (Sep 5th 2011)

Ah can't wait to see photos of Yappy...I do like guinea pigs, even if they are a bit useless :rolling:

Woah, that's exciting news about Trev's wedding! Three weeks!! Congrats to them on setting a date, lots of planning to do now :D
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2011 6:22pm (Sep 5th 2011)

Congrats, Trev & Anna! Julie - anything you like. As long as it's PURPLE!
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2011 11:31pm (Sep 5th 2011)

3 weeks?! Blimey, doesn't he realise the biggest task is finding you an outfit and it takes the groom's mother 6 months to do that!!! You'd best get out there and start some serious shopping TM!

If the Geelong Botanical Gardens are as lovely as the Birmingham ones it'll be a lovely venue. My sis-in-law had her reception at the B'ham version and it was a lovely place. I'm looking forward to the photos. Wish him good luck from all of us!
    • CommentTimeSep 6th, 2011 6:43am (Sep 6th 2011)

3weeks, wow, Julie you will have to get a move on to find an outfit in time. Very exciting news..tell Trev and Anna we wish them all the happiness in the world. Take lots of pictures!!
    :clap:
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2011 3:44am (Sep 10th 2011)

Thanks folks will pass on good wishes.

Still hunting for what to wear and we went to the gardens yesterday and it was lovely but freezing cold and windy, so hoping for a pleasant day. Our Spring weather can be very temperamental.
    :weather_hot:
    :weather_rain::weather_snowing::weather_storm:
    We joke about Melbourne having 4 seasons in one day.:sun:
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2011 10:49pm (Sep 10th 2011)

You have to have that sort of weather, after all you're (mostly) descended from Brits sent there and all we ever seem to talk about is the weather!!
    • CommentTimeSep 11th, 2011 3:23pm (Sep 11th 2011)

Purple bikini under a purple cotton frock under a purple jumper under a purple mac. There, sorted.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 11th, 2011 8:18pm (Sep 11th 2011)

Don't forget the shades...
    Purple ones of course!
    Looking forward to the pics.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeSep 13th, 2011 1:52pm (Sep 13th 2011)

Trevs Mum...congrats are in order for this.
    I shall have a bottle of bubbly and a box of choccys on your behalf on the 25th Sept.

CC's suggestion of purple is a god one. Heed her advise. :face-monkey:

I like red and I'd for for everything red starting with the red knickers. :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeSep 13th, 2011 8:17pm (Sep 13th 2011)

I like the red. My wardrobe is red based
    That started when I wowed the folks at my God daughter's Speach Day in her South African school. My outfit was all red, even the tights (which I had to dye as were unobtainable those days) about 30 years ago. I was so impressed myself that I have stuck to it ever since, though it has a big drift of purple in there too now.

Knickers = what are they?
    Haven't worn knickers for years.
    What use are they?
    • CommentTimeSep 15th, 2011 3:56pm (Sep 15th 2011)

Yikes only 8 days to go, whose idea was this anyway....stress.... stress.....We are shopping for grand daughter Isabelles flower girl dress tomorrow night and maybe shoes too, how we scored that one I don't know.

My second fav colur is RED so there you go. I have an outfit, purple of course and nice flat shoes as it's on the lawn. Brian is wearing his suit and a lovely purple shirt and a purple and silver tie, he looks very handsome. I will be doing a reading at the ceremony and Brian will speak at the reception on behalf of Anna and her family, which will be lovely as he is from 'over the sea' too just in another direction. I will think of you all when we are at the reception toasting Trev and you are eating and drinking on his behalf:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 15th, 2011 5:27pm (Sep 15th 2011)

My second fave colour is red too!Ollie; if you've ever had Aurasoma colour readings, the bottle which is purple and red is a 'healer's' choice. Thought of you and your midwifery when i read that!
    • CommentTimeSep 15th, 2011 11:34pm (Sep 15th 2011)

Oh TM, this is so exciting! Are any of Anna's family able to make the ceremony?
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2011 3:39am (Sep 16th 2011)

No Kate just all of us lot and a few friends of ours and theirs. I think maybe 60 or so.
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2011 6:07pm (Sep 16th 2011)

My favourite colour is red :wink1:
    • CommentTimeSep 26th, 2011 12:48pm (Sep 26th 2011) edited

So here we go the first photos, there will be more later. It was truly amazing day and for a 3 week warning, this wedding went off without a hitch, mostly thanks to Trevor's awesome planning skills. Trevor looked so handsome and Anna was a gorgeous fairytale bride in her beautiful dress. I had tears as soon as she stepped out of the car- a smart white Jaguar. Isabelle our grand daugther was precious and perfect and Brian's speech about Anna absolutley fabulous, Trev's brother Shane's speech was a really humourous tribute to his younger brother. All in all exhausted but very happy.

Photobucket

The speech. There is a watermelon in a basket in front of Anna, a family joke. Notice how she looks like she's floating.

Me(TM), the MC, Anna, Trevor, Brian
    • CommentTimeSep 26th, 2011 1:22pm (Sep 26th 2011)

Oh how wonderfull that is the bestest of news. Lovely pictures do post more so we don't miss a single thing. I am so pleased for you all. Anna looks a serene and beautiful princess and Trevor definately the handsome prince. I do think thats the first picture I have seen of him smiling.
    (I had to sign out to see the pictures as my pooter is a pain up the backside and then has a job getting back in to comment so sorry about the delay !!!)
    • CommentTimeSep 26th, 2011 1:26pm (Sep 26th 2011)

Oh I meant to say she does look like she is floating thats well neat and do share the watermelon tale with us please.
    • CommentTimeSep 26th, 2011 4:09pm (Sep 26th 2011)

She looks so beautiful!!! And Trev's a bit of all right too, tell 'im! :D We need a good pic of your outfit though, Julie!
    How was Brian's Chinese speech? Did it go all right, or did he imply that Trev and she would now be lightbulb and anchovy together? :D
    • CommentTimeSep 26th, 2011 11:33pm (Sep 26th 2011)

He did a speech in Chinese?! How brave!!! The photos are lovely - MORE PLEASE! Anna looks beautiful, and I never realised before how much Trev looks like my sis-in-law's hubby! He's scrubbed up well for his big day. Congratulations to them both! Did Isabelle enjoy herself? She looks the perfect age to be a bridesmaid.
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 6:17am (Sep 27th 2011)

What a beautiful couple they make. Anna is so lovely in her dress. They just look so happy! Please post more pictures if you have them..I want to see what you and Brian wore too.:face-smile:

Congratulations to Trev and Anna on their beautiful wedding. May they be truly happy together forever.
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 1:06pm (Sep 27th 2011)

Ah, fab pics TM! :smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 4:32am (Sep 29th 2011)

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 4:35am (Sep 29th 2011)

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 4:36am (Sep 29th 2011)

Still really tired but just so happy!! Thanks everyone.:043:
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 7:37am (Sep 29th 2011)

Lovely photo,s Julie I love the purple and the Jaguar !!!!!!!!! you all look fantastic.
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 5:34pm (Sep 29th 2011)

Hear hear! I covet that outfit...! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 11:39pm (Sep 29th 2011)

You all look so lovely and so happy!!! That last picture of Anna is beautiful.
    • CommentTimeSep 30th, 2011 1:50am (Sep 30th 2011)

Thank you for sharing some more pictures with us Julie. As Kate said you do all look so lovely and happy. Now you just got to tell us about the watermelon.....come on don't be shy you know you really want to tell us :face-monkey:
    • CommentTimeSep 30th, 2011 6:56am (Sep 30th 2011)

Thank you for posting more pictures, Julie..I loved them all..Anna is so beautiful and Trevor looked so handsome. I loved your outfit, purple is so becoming on you...I'd like to hear about the Watermelon too.:face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeSep 30th, 2011 2:00pm (Sep 30th 2011)

Julie, congratulations. The bride looks truly beautiful and the groom just so handsome. Love the outfits on everyone. Thanks for sharing.:-)
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd, 2011 5:47am (Oct 3rd 2011)

Thanks everyone. :heartsabove:
    Once upon a time......no actually Brian told a story about Anna in his speech, she was only 3 and apparently was always wanting the watermelon her father grew. One day they let her eat, and eat, and eat some until her tummy was so full she was like a little round ball, rolling around and trying to stand up but she couldn't. :willy_nilly:The family could not stop laughing. Anna still loves watermelon now. We presented her wih a huge watermelon in a basket, also some vegemite because the first thing she wanted when she arrived here from the airport, despite a home cooked meal waiting was Vegemite on toast. We did think that was so funny as we Aussies love our Vegemite.

Her sister Vicky in China passed on to me a couple of childhood tales. Also age 5 she was forever trying to 'rescue' the hens from the rooster that was 'pecking' at them and being 'mean'. The older sisters would laugh and say oh well one day she will understand. :cute-chick:
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd, 2011 7:29am (Oct 3rd 2011)

Julie, I loved the story about Anna rescuing the chickens. That is so funny.:lol:
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd, 2011 10:50pm (Oct 3rd 2011)

I love hearing stories about other people's childhoods - they're always really funny! I thought she'd have been completely put off watermelon after that though!
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2011 4:52pm (Oct 6th 2011)

Thank you for the stories Julie, they are lovely to share.
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 7:21am (Oct 9th 2011)

oh gosh I have been so sick... gastro.. since last tuesday and still nowhere near my old self yet but I will be back soon. :ack2: :_puke: cool, finally got to use this icon.!!!
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 9:25am (Oct 9th 2011)

That's a long time with that sort of a problem, Julie.

Do take great care and concentrate on yourself now for a while.

= Too much W cake, I think...
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 10:08am (Oct 9th 2011)

Not nice Julie like Ollie said take it easy xx
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 6:01pm (Oct 9th 2011)

...or too much champagne??
    Yes, do what Ollie says Julie - she knows, you know! Drink plenty too. :heart: Feel better soon, cherub.
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 7:32pm (Oct 9th 2011)

So sorry to hear you have been so poorly Julie. It really gets you down doesn't it. I do hope you feel better soon. Thinking of you with love xxxx
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 10:56pm (Oct 9th 2011)

24 hours of that sort of thing is enough, so lots of sympathy from me TM! Hope you feel back to your old self soon.

Forgot to ask - have Trev and Anna gone on honeymoon?
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 4:46am (Oct 10th 2011)

I do hope you will get to feeling better soon, TM.
      LW_GWS-Julie.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 7:58am (Oct 10th 2011)

Thanks folks, have started to eat a little today and drinking heaps of.....water. Tried some soup today and my taste buds have come back to life.:face-smile:
    Love the card Lynn.

Trevor and Anna went up to far north Quueensland for a week to stay in Cairns, a very tropical region. You can google if you like, there is a really fascinating scenic train ride at Kuranda near there that 'puffs' its way thru the mountains. We went on it 35 or more years ago and its a bit scary.
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 11:06pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Glad you feel well enough to eat a bit now TM, It sounds lovely where Trev and Anna has gone on honeymoon, it is lovely they could get away for a week.

The card is lovely Lynn I adore the little house mouse things, we don't have them over here like you do in the states, which is such a shame.
    • CommentTimeOct 12th, 2011 7:19pm (Oct 12th 2011)

Glad you're feeling better, Julie. Take it steady!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeOct 14th, 2011 2:21pm (Oct 14th 2011)

Trevs Mum, sorry you have been under the weather. Tummy bugs are not nice. I still remember my bug(s) with total distaste. Was sick for many dyas. Ugh !!!

On a cheery note, I thought I'd tell you that I have got myself a beautiful pair of purple shoes exactly the same colour as your outfilt and wore them yesterday and did think that I should let you and CC know. The colour is the same as a fruit we used to eat in Kenay, called Victoria or Jambu. see wiki link:

a really deep rich purple. Yummy colour.
    Now I want a purple dress with pale green trimming on it. I know exactly what I want....:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 14th, 2011 5:54pm (Oct 14th 2011)

You can always get a frock made, Shobhna - then you get exactly what you want!
    • CommentTimeOct 18th, 2011 11:29pm (Oct 18th 2011)

oh purple shoes Shobhna, how lovely. Yes have a nice frock made to go with the shoes. Now I have learnt something too about that fruit.

Feeling much more 'hoomin' this week.

Tomorrow the vet has asked if we can take Thomas the wonder cat to the clinic for........a photo shoot and interview :blahblahblah:by the Geelong Advertiser, the main paper in town.:cat:

The vet clinic is having a grand opening ceremony for their new renovation on the 30th Oct (although they never actually closed), (Brian says we paid for the south wing) and the paper is doing a story. They wanted a feel good topic and the staff decided Thomas, having just turned 20 and seeing as he has such devoted carers and has had an amazing and eventful life and survived several health scares and is diabetic he would be the ideal subject. Brian said I should wear purple and look my best too but I imagine they will just want a pic of Thomas and a staff member. Will see what eventuates.
    Must go and give him a shampoo and set!:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeOct 18th, 2011 11:47pm (Oct 18th 2011)

Ha ha! I think Brian is right about you paying for a big part of it! I wonder if they'll give you your next consultation free as a thank you?!
    • CommentTimeOct 19th, 2011 3:59am (Oct 19th 2011)

Posted By: Trevs MumMust go and give him a shampoo and set

Somehow I don't think Thomas will like that very much, TM..:face-smile:

please post the article when it comes out..I'd love to see it.
    • CommentTimeOct 19th, 2011 10:05am (Oct 19th 2011)

That sounds great TM, and how sweet they chose Thomas for the story!
    • CommentTimeOct 19th, 2011 5:18pm (Oct 19th 2011)

'Ready for my close-up, Mr deMille...' Oooo, there'll be no talking to you once you're famous, Julie! :rolling: Yes, post the article on here, won't you?
    • CommentTimeOct 19th, 2011 7:32pm (Oct 19th 2011)

Ohh I do look forward to seeing the article TM, how exciting.
    • CommentTimeJan 29th, 2012 7:04am (Jan 29th 2012)

Dictated to Trevor's iphone...

In hospital with bad back 1 week. Hope to be home very soon. Brian managing to hold the fort. Thomas missing his mum. Lucky for me I have great family (Trev smiles while typing for mum) and a warped sense of humour full stop (so does Trev).

Love Julie ( and son) XX
    • CommentTimeJan 29th, 2012 9:52am (Jan 29th 2012)

:flowers:
    Trev, Please give your Mum all our love and best wishes for a rapid recovery.
    Here's a bunch of non-allergy flowers to take to her.
    • CommentTimeJan 29th, 2012 4:37pm (Jan 29th 2012)

Oooo, Julie, get well soon, poppet. Hope you're soon back (arf arf) in action. :heart:
    • CommentTimeJan 29th, 2012 11:40pm (Jan 29th 2012)

And how exactly did you hurt your back TM?!!! Hope the hozzie (hospital) are taking good care of you and Trev is keeping your spirits up (as in sneaking in a bottle of something alcoholic!! Er, no, of course I don't recommend that sort of thing!!)

Hope you're up and around soon. xx :heart:
    • CommentTimeJan 30th, 2012 7:40am (Jan 30th 2012)

Oh no, Julie..I hope you get all better soon and can come home...thanks for letting us know Trev!
      LW_GWS-Julie1-29-12.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 30th, 2012 1:08pm (Jan 30th 2012)

Get well soon TM!! :heart:
    • CommentTimeJan 31st, 2012 5:11pm (Jan 31st 2012)

I got my new hip yesterday, hopping about quite well today - quite the old lady with her zimmer frame but they will take that away tommorrow and I have to use just two ordinary walking sticks.
    I am 2 miles for Hencam but haven't heard the hens yet.
    • CommentTimeJan 31st, 2012 5:44pm (Jan 31st 2012)

Ollie, I hadn't realised the op was so imminent! Here's good health and a speedy recovery to you - with your brilliant attitude you'll be up & at 'em in no time. :heart::_pecking::bear::turkeydance::running_dog:
    • CommentTimeJan 31st, 2012 5:55pm (Jan 31st 2012)

Hurray! Glad you have got your hip Ollie and will be zimmer-free tomorrow :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJan 31st, 2012 8:03pm (Jan 31st 2012)

Ollie, I thought you wouldn't be getting the new hip till the 11th of February! Way to go girl..I hope you have a very speedy recovery without too much pain.
    Woo Hoo:clap: :heart::flowers:
    • CommentTimeJan 31st, 2012 9:51pm (Jan 31st 2012)

I can't believe you're up and about so quickly! I remember when a hip replacement meant a good few weeks in hospital, but I think its counted in days now isn't it? Don't get overdoing it though. (I assume you are still in hospital?!)
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2012 3:48pm (Feb 1st 2012) edited

How are you doing now Julie? Please make rapid progress. Get Trev to keep us up to date. We're all behind you.

I'm on line but only through websites. My emus wont go out of the box. I'll keep trying.
    Had surgery Monday and out of bed briefly in evening. Then next day the Physios got hard to work. Lots of exercises of ever increasing difficulty. They are so enthusiastic and chearful.

I got a bed in a private hospital (on the NHS) so very pleased, though apart from the quality suroundings I don't think its much different.
    Home Friday.
    :face-smile::face-smile::face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2012 4:52pm (Feb 1st 2012)

Glad to hear it is going so well and has been such a positive experience Ollie :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st, 2012 10:38pm (Feb 1st 2012)

Strange question for you Ollie - what's on the floor in your room, vinyl or carpet?
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2012 10:00am (Feb 2nd 2012)

Thanks heaps everyone, love the card Lynn I am home again, i had a bulging disc, pain since before Xmas which got completely out of hand so into hospital with scans etc. Absolutely worst pain ever and i feel i am usually pretty tough. Nothing would kill it , not any pain killer or morphine until they put me on Cortisone and something esle. Surgery was considered but am now waiitng for swelling /inflamation to subside and will see in 2 weeks what's next. Trouble is I have been left with pins and needles in left leg and foot so not much sensation and very unsteady. Have to rest and use heat and wait. Bugger.:face-devil-grin:

Ollie you are amazing well done with the hip, hip hooray!!!!:face-smile: Keep healing and youll be racing around everywhere soon.

Just for your interest Kate I was in a private hospital (thank god) and it has carpet on the floor!!??

Well must now catch up on all the latest news from you all and sit nicely at the computer with my back supported.
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2012 5:48pm (Feb 2nd 2012)

Good news, Julie; hope you're back on form soon. :heart:
    Why are you asking about Ollie's flooring, Kate?? I'm intrigued...
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2012 11:34pm (Feb 2nd 2012)

Glad to hear you've been released TM!! Sorry about the pins and needles, hope they'll be able to do something about that. Maybe it'll subside when the swelling goes down?

My curiosity with the flooring is that from an infection prevention point of view we insist on vinyl flooring with coved edges so that if anything is spilt (blood, bodily fluids, vomit, drinks, etc etc) it can be cleaned up easily and effectively. You can't do that on carpet. It may feel better underfoot, but I'd rather forego that than have something that could be harbouring all sorts of nasties! Whereas vinyl flooring can be mopped effectively once or twice a day, and spot cleaned if necessary, a carpet would need washing every day so would be constantly damp. Private hospitals don't like to share their infection rates with us NHS lot, and that's probably why!
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2012 7:57am (Feb 3rd 2012)

Kate, The floors are all carpeted apart from clinical areas. The staff didn't want carpets but one suggested there had been a deal done... The colours are very dreary too. In places the weave has broken down and threads loose. I can see there'll be replacing this sooner than planned.

Glad your home Julie. I am going this morning. No place like home! Looking forward to the rest. Take care.
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2012 8:18am (Feb 3rd 2012)

This hospital have not had any MRSA and swab everyone before adnission, treating if required.
    They go over board with the hand washing, having very detailed descriptions of washing techniques.
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2012 6:08pm (Feb 3rd 2012) edited

Glad you are back at home TM, and you too by now Ollie! :)

Posted By: ollie in UKThis hospital have not had any MRSA and swab everyone before adnission

When I was at hospital in Stoke (not a private one) they swabbed me too, and I was only there for like 6 hours at A&E.
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2012 11:04pm (Feb 3rd 2012)

Yes, all hospitals have to swab their admissions for MRSA now. It isn't as common as the press like to make it out to be - over recent years there has been a real effort to reduce the numbers. All that is reported are bloodstream infections - there are many hundreds of people who are colonised with MRSA (it's living on them somewhere) but it isn't a problem unless they have an open wound it can get into. There are lots and lots of other infections that can be picked up though.

The up-side to being in a private hospital is that they take the money-making procedures that they can get a lot of money for, but don't entail a lot of work on their part and the patients are usually 'healthy' i.e. have chosen to have something done rather than it being life-threatening. If they have an emergency then the patient is put into an ambulance and shipped off to the nearest NHS ITU.

There are good an bad things about both sides of healthcare, but all we ever hear is the good side of private and the bad side of the NHS. The press and politicians seem to forget the thousands of lives saved by the NHS every year and just focus on the few that went wrong.

Anyway, I am really glad that you are both out of hospital and on the road to recovery! Take care both of you!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2012 5:53am (Feb 4th 2012)

I'm so happy to hear that both Ollie and Julie are at home again. Woo Hoo :yay_jump:
    I hope you will both make a speedy recovery!
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2012 1:51am (Mar 13th 2012) edited

Hullo I am still around but as the back is still niggling I havent spent much time at computer lately.
    Nice to read the posts and catch up on your news, seems like our numbers have dropped off a bit lately.
    Just had the week from hell with Thomas but all ok now. We and vet decided to go ahead with some teeth extraction despite him being at very high risk for anaesthetic (age now 20 and ahalf)but he had bad infection in gum which could not be left as is, so really what choice is there?

So we had big cuddles, prepared ourselves that he may not make it thru op and he stayed o/night Tuesday on drip to build up fluids then had op Wed am. He woke up quite well, blood pressure stayed in safe zone all through, so relieved and we visted him in arvo and you would hardly know he was affected the liitle darling, one of the vet nurses put a tiny purple bow on his head he looked so cute and relaxed. Lucky for him only 2 teeth removed and they were able to give the rest a good clean.

We took him home that night and he ate heaps also the next morning, then went off his food and started pacing and meowing night and day. Turned out he was constipated, (from stress and meds etc) so over long weekend here we were on 'kitty litter watch' as I gave him a big dose of something to help and finally had success and actually got some sleep last night but we are just exhausted. It was like having a sick toddler who couldn't actually tell you what was wrong. He is now happy again relaxed and eating very well. We have a huge vet bill but they are fantastic and we can pay it off.

He certainly has more than 9 lives and the clinic staff are all amazed at his strength and determination to rally. We were at vet Thurs Mar 1st then last week, Tues, Wed, Fri, Sunday with numerous phone calls in between, its wonderful when you have such a supportive team to help. years ago our pets would not have survived or been put to sleep because people would not spend the money or consider it worthwhile but now vets know so much more and they treat so many ailments... am rambling must go have a cuppa and a quiet day I think.
    love to you all and hope you and your loved ones (human, feline, ratty, henish, mousish, hemsterish, fishish, horsish, and canine) are all well :) Julie:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2012 6:21am (Mar 13th 2012) edited

Oh, Julie it's so wonderful to see a post from you, I've been wondering how you were getting along. I'm so glad to hear Thomas is doing well now. 20 yrs. is very old for a kitty..we had one that lived for 20 yrs. and 2 months..I hope Thomas makes it to at least 25!
    I do hope you back will stop hurting you soon. It does take a long while for them to get better. How are Trev and Anna doing? I hope all is well with them.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2012 6:12pm (Mar 13th 2012)

Love to you and Thomas, cherub; hope you both fight back! :heart:
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2012 8:07pm (Mar 13th 2012)

Wow, so glad Thomas is okay! You are so lucky to have such an awesome vet's; such a rarity and lovely to hear about...I always find it amazing that Thomas isn't that much younger than me :shocked: :rolling:

I know what you mean about an ill pet being just as traumatic as having a toddler that's hurting and can't tell you where...Kasper was ill a few days ago and I felt exactly the same.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2012 11:54pm (Mar 13th 2012)

I am so pleased Thomas (and you!) has got through that OK. When Foggy had to have her 'manual evacuation' because she was constipated the nurses told me not to worry as they'd had a 25 year old cat in for a tooth extraction the week before and he'd got through it like a breeze!

Sorry your back isn't doing so well, but hope with painkillers and - I assume - some gentle physio it will continue to improve and become more comfortable. And yes, it has been quiet on here of late - don't know where they all are!!
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2012 10:34am (Mar 14th 2012)

Thanks everyone. Thomas continues to do well, although he has climbed out of his bed and is spread on the fluffy mat instead, cats always find the softest and sunniest spot dont they (and puppies no doubt).

Trevor and Anna are doing fine, Anna just got her learners permit (not as much need to drive in China if you live in a big city with all the public transport available and very little room to store a car)and scored 97% which I thought was very well done seeing as English is her second language. We recently took her for an eye test and she needed glasses, short sighted apparently. We joked that when she got the glasses she would see Trevor properly and run away screaming!!:face-devil-grin:

Seeing doc about my back this week (still painful and need more drugs:face-devil-grin:)and the neurosurgeon in 2 weeks as my left leg is still numb and hoping it wont lead to surgery.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2012 4:55pm (Mar 14th 2012)

Fingers crossed for you...:heart:
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2012 9:32pm (Mar 14th 2012)

I've got my fingers crossed for you too, TM:heart:
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2012 11:40pm (Mar 14th 2012)

My fingers crossed too (makes it hard to type though!!! :wink: ) Hope the drugs help and the surgeon keeps his scalpel to himself for a while longer!

Congrats to Anna - that is a very good score. Has Trev got time for a course of Botox before Anna gets her glasses?!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2012 3:05pm (Mar 15th 2012)

Oh Julie, I was so hoping you were well on the road to recovery. I still cringe when I remember seeing "11.00hrs - Knife to skin" on my notes.

I'm coming on great guns and sometimes in the kitchen realise I'm not using my walking stick. Still limp without it so need to keep up with the exercises.
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2012 11:28pm (Mar 15th 2012)

Ollie, I'm glad to hear you are doing so well with your hip now..I've been wondering how you were doing.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2012 10:23am (Mar 18th 2012)

Great news Olie keep up the good work.

Unfortunately our poor pussy cat Thomas has been back to vet overnight on drip, he is home again and has another visit in morning, he seems a bit poorly and I am wondering if his 27 'lives' are running out, he is still eating and drinking ok but there are concerns he may have some fluid build up and kidneys are not functioning as well any more.
    I know cats can manage like this for a while but we had a talk and we will certainly not prolong the inevitable if in fact it comes to that. He has suprised us and the vet so many times already. Dont know what will happen, just trying to take it day by day but it is very stressful all the same. Just love him so much dear kitty cat. He gives us so much love and joy.:cat: