• CommentTimeOct 5th, 2010 4:56pm (Oct 5th 2010)

This is in "random stuff" 'cos I think it's downright weird if you eat this crap..!

Taken from gizmodo...

This is mechanically separated chicken. Chickens are turned into this goop so we can create delicious chicken nuggets and juicy chicken patties. It's obscenely gross and borderline alien.

There's more: because it's crawling with bacteria, it will be washed with ammonia, soaked in it, actually. Then, because it tastes gross, it will be reflavored artificially. Then, because it is weirdly pink, it will be dyed with artificial color.

nice...
    • CommentTimeOct 5th, 2010 5:36pm (Oct 5th 2010)

That is Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! never new this Neil :_puke:
    • CommentTimeOct 5th, 2010 6:29pm (Oct 5th 2010)

Good God...:gasp::beurk:
    • CommentTimeOct 5th, 2010 9:58pm (Oct 5th 2010)

I knew they were processed but didn't realise it was that much! What's the point?! They should just churn up some plastic bags, add flavour, and wrap that in breadcrumbs instead!
    • CommentTimeOct 5th, 2010 11:28pm (Oct 5th 2010)

OH MY GOD Neil:gasp::_oh::cursing::confused1:that is so disgusting and wrong and horrible. I am glad we have never eaten those yuk!!!

It actually looks more like some sort of soft serve icecream stuff...but there's another story I have heard awfull things about that too.

We watch Jamie Oliver here and it would seem to us that he has been trying hard to make inroads towards people eating more healthy foods especially our children in schools. Just saw the series where he was in the US school system and he mentioned nuggets and other mystery foods.

We call sausages 'mystery bags' here cos you often don't know what's in 'em (using rhyming slang also known as snags).
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2010 3:23am (Oct 6th 2010)

They're known as bangers here from when the amount of water - and some other less salubrious ingredients - caused them to explode in the pan.
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2010 9:48am (Oct 6th 2010) edited

I like 'mystery bags', that's a funny name! :)

It's interesting though that even the author of the article on gizmodo made jokes and said it made him want some chicken nuggets to eat, and that it looked delicious... And when I 'tweeted' this, a few of my (meat-eating) friends replied saying it looked tasty and they were off to buy some.

Is it because they see it as yet another boring veggie evangelising against meat, or do they feel somehow threatened?

I'm heartened to hear everyone has replied with how disgusted they are here, it's restored my faith in humanity and re-affirmed how nice this forum is! Nobody hiding behind ego or anything like that...

I've always said I don't mind anyone eating meat (who am I to dictate what someone should do or eat, and I even used to love kippers and black pudding - not together, mind!), but I think whatever you eat you should be aware of it's roots and how it got to your plate, otherwise you don't know what crap you're putting in your body (and in the case of chicken nuggets, surely it's good to know so you can avoid them!)
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2010 11:28am (Oct 6th 2010)

Absolutely spot on Neil.
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2010 4:46pm (Oct 6th 2010)

Posted By: neil a few of my (meat-eating) friends replied saying it looked tasty and they were off to buy some.

Surely they were being ironic?? NOBODY could think that looked appetising.
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2010 5:18pm (Oct 6th 2010)

Hopefully :)
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2010 9:55pm (Oct 6th 2010)

Posted By: chief chicken
    Posted By: neila few of my (meat-eating) friends replied saying it looked tasty and they were off to buy some.

Surely they were being ironic?? NOBODY could think that looked appetising.

Or embarrassed at being eaters of them, so just fronting it out.

Or trying to wind you up Neil!
    • CommentTimeOct 8th, 2010 3:03pm (Oct 8th 2010)

Heh, I was proud but also annoyed when Lyle went veggie because I knew everyone would blame me for 'turning' him...and of course most people do :/

Also, that stuff is so gross.
    • CommentTimeOct 8th, 2010 6:20pm (Oct 8th 2010)

I don't know why people worry about what other people eat! I think I said, I made a veggie curry for 2 friends when they came to visit us, and they both asked if we'd turned veggie - as though omnivores can't eat anything without meat!
    • CommentTimeOct 8th, 2010 9:08pm (Oct 8th 2010)

Hope you're feeling better now Red.

So Lyle doesn't have any self-will then to make his own decision! I don't understand why people who eat meat seem to think it has to be there at every meal.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2010 1:16pm (Oct 11th 2010)

Late in on this one because I have been away gallavanting again. :face-smile:
    that does look gross and as you say, no matter what we eat, we should alwasy want to know how it is made. Nothing wrong with that but there are some who do implicitly trust everything -- even if there is a list of chemical names under the ingredients list. :face-plain: I used to know someone who would eat that sort of stuff all the time.
    • CommentTimeOct 15th, 2010 8:46pm (Oct 15th 2010)

OMG that looks so gross, I am so glad I make all our food so know what goes into it.
    • CommentTimeOct 16th, 2010 9:32pm (Oct 16th 2010)

I know what goes into MY cooking. That's why I buy it all from M&S...:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 18th, 2010 6:35am (Oct 18th 2010)

ha ha ha ha very funny CC.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 18th, 2010 5:21pm (Oct 18th 2010)

It's not a joke...ask LSE!:face-sad::face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 19th, 2010 5:21am (Oct 19th 2010)

Ok I do seem to remember somewhere, some place on here you did just happen to mention, in passing that you hate cooking!!!! That's ok we can't all be brilliant at everything. You have your own special talents, I know.:face-smile: