• CommentTimeOct 20th, 2010 3:02pm (Oct 20th 2010) edited

So it's not really an emergency, but if someone could help sooner rather than later it would be nice and I didn't know where else to put this...

I need some help ID'ing two different types of plants - they're both weeds.

This site shows ( http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?thissection=6 ) some images of similar plants, but they just don't look the same...the leaves on both are different. Sorry for the terrible quality. Can anyone help?!

Plant 1:
      type1.jpg
      type1b.jpg
      type1c.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 20th, 2010 3:04pm (Oct 20th 2010) edited

Plant 2:
      type2.jpg
      type2b.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 21st, 2010 12:10am (Oct 21st 2010)

Hi Red the first plant looks like some sort of simple chrysanthemum, but I am not sure. Where did you find it?
    Plant number two is Ragwort which is highly toxic. Keep it well away from your pets and wash your hands real good after touching it.
    • CommentTimeOct 21st, 2010 11:58am (Oct 21st 2010)

Cheers NN! That seems to be the general consensus for Plant 2, Ragwort! You're the first person to name the first plant! :face-smile: Won't risk feeding it to Ron though!
    • CommentTimeOct 21st, 2010 5:19pm (Oct 21st 2010) edited

Hey NN (or anybody else!) more plants for you to ID if you want :laugh:

I'm not gonna feed Ronston them or anything, just think it's useful to learn what plants are what...I need a good book I can use to help me identify plants, because I know next to nothing. Can anyone recommend one? It needs to be mainly common weeds, ones that I'd stumble across out and about.

Gonna have a look on the tortoise table and see if I can work out what these are ones are.

Okay, Plant 1, sort of like a soft ferny bush growing low to the ground. No flowers or anything.
      type3.jpg
      type3b.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 21st, 2010 5:31pm (Oct 21st 2010) edited

Okay, plant 2 on left, the yellow one. Then plant 3, the pink one on the right. The pink one.

Having a Ron has really got me into plant identification, I used to wish I was into gardening but could never see a reason to be, and now I have one :bigsmile:

Aw some of the pics are being stupid :face-sad:
    • CommentTimeOct 21st, 2010 5:37pm (Oct 21st 2010) edited

Hmm, will try again...That's better!
      stupid.jpg
      stupid2.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 21st, 2010 6:54pm (Oct 21st 2010) edited

The one on the left looks like Bird's Foot Trefoil to me. The other one could be a wild geranium or perhaps lonicera.
    • CommentTimeOct 21st, 2010 11:29pm (Oct 21st 2010)

Thanks for the suggestions CC, I didn't find anything - will go look them up! :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeOct 21st, 2010 11:33pm (Oct 21st 2010) edited

Oooh the wild geranium looks spot on! Looked on google images and it looks very similar, only problem is I threw the flower away so don't have it here to compare! Will pick another tomorrow and study it...would be brilliant if it was a geranium as they are safe to feed!!

But will not do so until I know for sure :face-angel:

Thanks CC!
    • CommentTimeOct 21st, 2010 11:41pm (Oct 21st 2010)

• CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd, 2010 1:42pm (Oct 22nd 2010)

Red, have a look at this forum.

I am a member on there and it's a very good site.
    You will get instant help with plant identification. They are very good and very helpful on that site. There might even be someone on there who will have specific knowledge on plants for tortoises too.
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd, 2010 7:44pm (Oct 22nd 2010)

Oooh, thanks Shobhna!