• CommentTimeDec 1st, 2010 2:17pm (Dec 1st 2010) edited

We have had another hefty dump of snow so I thought I would go and take a few photos's in the Maun Valley. It is only a couple of minutes walk from my house.
    Jay was unable to get into work so he came as well. The snow was over the tops of my wellies and my legs were red and purple by the time we came home. Jay has specialist wellies with tops that grip the legs so he was ok, Luckily I am fairly tough and coped quite well once they went numb!!! Anyhow here for your delight is the Maun Valley covered in snow
      scene.jpg
      tree.jpg
      maun.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 1st, 2010 2:21pm (Dec 1st 2010) edited

Jay even got in the water to get a special shot. I wasnt that brave knowing how clumbsy I am !!
      j in river.jpg
      reflection.jpg
      Valley.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 1st, 2010 2:24pm (Dec 1st 2010) edited

I loves the snow caught in these cow parsely stalks
      cow parsley.jpg
      scene2.jpg
      snowy fir.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 1st, 2010 2:28pm (Dec 1st 2010) edited

Fancy a seat on the bench? It has a big plump cushion on it
      bench.jpg
      post.jpg
      river 2.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 1st, 2010 2:33pm (Dec 1st 2010) edited

The trees are so beautiful,I took loads of pictures of them but really liked the first one. A big black cloud told us it was time to head for home and a bowl of hot homemade soup for lunch !!
      trees2.jpg
      black cloud.jpg
      snow stalks.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 1st, 2010 3:39pm (Dec 1st 2010)

Beautiful, NN - you have such a good eye!
    • CommentTimeDec 1st, 2010 3:40pm (Dec 1st 2010)

PS 'Hefty dump of snow....' Wordsworth eat yer heart out! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeDec 1st, 2010 4:34pm (Dec 1st 2010)

Gorgeous pics NN, really stunning! The forest opposite our flat is doing that thing with the trees where the snow settles on the branches and I always think the contrast looks amazing.
    • CommentTimeDec 1st, 2010 9:43pm (Dec 1st 2010) edited

What BEAUTIFUL pictures, NN!! ( I'm glad it's you dealing with it and not me):face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 1st, 2010 10:07pm (Dec 1st 2010)

As ever NN, your pictures are supurb! Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

At the end of the evening national news on ITV they said they were showing some of "best" pictures they'd received. They showed 4 and even I could've done better (and I'm rubbish!!)
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2010 4:53pm (Dec 2nd 2010)

Wow I took a very similar pic a couple of years ago of the plant you called 'cow parsley' (never knew what it was called!)

Here's a couple of pics from a visit to a garden center and then my walk from the train station, trudging home after the buses to Wilsden were cancelled!

I love how garden-center Santa's say hello when you say "hullo Santa!" to them - I like to embarrass my nephew by talking to Santa when he's around haha!

(my mum sneaked into the pic too!)
      IMAG2505.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2010 4:55pm (Dec 2nd 2010)

Here's poor 'Stig', really, really not designed for off-road or use in snowy or icy conditions!

(which explains why I'm on the train now!)
      IMAG2506.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2010 4:55pm (Dec 2nd 2010)

View across 'black hills' whilst walking to Bingley the other morning:
      IMAG2507.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2010 4:57pm (Dec 2nd 2010)

Sunrise through the trees...
      IMAG2508.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2010 5:59pm (Dec 2nd 2010)

Beautiful. You all seem to have such an eye for photos!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2010 6:43pm (Dec 2nd 2010)

I am glad you all enjoyed the pictures. So pleased that you added some to the thread as well Neil they are lovely. I got a few more as we had a shed load more snow last night and today.
      and theres more.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2010 6:45pm (Dec 2nd 2010) edited

I found some nice icicles this afternoon
      icikle.jpg
      Rhus.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2010 6:49pm (Dec 2nd 2010) edited

Sootz decided to partake a bit of fresh air and sauntered down the ice road meeting Auntie Beak returning from laying her egg. He had to back into the snow to let her pass and ended up with a snowy butt !!
      whoops.jpg
      snowy bumfluff.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2010 6:52pm (Dec 2nd 2010)

The girls have made themselves quite at home in the gazebo. Here are six of them.
      camping out.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2010 6:54pm (Dec 2nd 2010) edited

Sylvi prefers to look out of the window when she is not watching TV......
      window.jpg
      telly.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2010 8:03pm (Dec 2nd 2010)

Grandad North just passed me this photo for you all to have a look at. He took it on Tuesday. Please excuse the rip in my gardening jacket!!!
      Imgp1916 ccccc.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2010 9:47pm (Dec 2nd 2010)

I love this thread! We haven't got enough snow here to make it worth taking a photo. :face-sad: but at least we can get from A to B without too much difficulty!

I love that Sootz moved out of the way for the hen!! (and his snowy bum is adorable!!!) I think Sylvi has the right idea.
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd, 2010 12:29pm (Dec 3rd 2010)

Great pics!

I lightened your pic of the queueing hens - what a great pic, very cute + funny!
      nn.jpg
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd, 2010 1:24pm (Dec 3rd 2010)

excellent photos NN and Neil
    :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd, 2010 6:08pm (Dec 3rd 2010)

Oh thats real clever Neil thank you. I was putting them to bed a bit earlier than they wanted to go as it was so cold.

My hens are not afraid of cats Kate and Sootz is a gentle giant, so they get on quite well.
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd, 2010 6:14pm (Dec 3rd 2010) edited

A man who lives further uo our road came home in the works JCB last night and used it to clear the snow and ice off the road, which was well decent of him. Grandad North took him a bottle of brandy to say thanks as it has made it possible to get up the hill a lot easily now.
      jcb.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd, 2010 6:19pm (Dec 3rd 2010) edited

No snow today it has been really nice and sunny, and all you could hear was drip drip drip !!! I had a job getting out of our conservatory door this morning as the door had iced up overnight. It was a real hazzard as the icicles were lethal. The first picture is the door handle taken through the glass. I made the mistake of slamming the door once I did get out and got icicles in the back of my head and neck from the gutter. That woke me up for sure !!!!! The second picture is a real long one from the roof.
      doorhandle.jpg
      icicle.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd, 2010 9:17pm (Dec 3rd 2010)

Lovely pics all :face-smile:
    Dad me and Lyle just had a laugh at Grandma sneaking into the pic!!!!!! :lol:
    • CommentTimeDec 4th, 2010 5:34am (Dec 4th 2010)

What great pictures, those ice icicles do look dangerous, NN. Be careful running out the door.
    • CommentTimeDec 5th, 2010 6:10pm (Dec 5th 2010)

I was putting the girls to bed when I heard a crack and a whump sound and down came the snow and the guttering three doors down. There are several houses that has happened to up our street. I got my fingers crossed it doesn't happen to us as well.
    • CommentTimeDec 5th, 2010 7:05pm (Dec 5th 2010)

Snow on the roof doesn't melt like it used to. That is a downsize of all the loft insulation. Also making the loft so full of fluff that stuff can't be stashed up there.

Hope your neighbour can claim on his insurance.

I have just found my insurance is double what others are charging - I haven't made a claim for about twenty years.
    • CommentTimeDec 5th, 2010 10:57pm (Dec 5th 2010)

Hope your guttering will hang on in there NN!!

Don't always believe the comparison sites for insurance quotes NN if that's where you've seen that - I've just renewed mine. The cheapest quote was half what I pay, but when you look at what you're getting it isn't anywhere near as good a deal. The excess was huge, less cover, they covered rooms individually (so if you move a TV from one to another it wouldn't be covered!), you had to have specific and authorised locks on all doors and windows, no legal cover, no cover for drains - the list went on. I stayed with the same company and happily paid what they asked for peace of mind.
    • CommentTimeDec 6th, 2010 12:33am (Dec 6th 2010)

really wonderful pics NN and Neil. Love the hens tromping along on theie way to their house.

Sylvi has a similar taste in movies to me, I like them scary.
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2010 10:22am (Dec 7th 2010)

It was Ollie saying about the insurance Kate not me, it was interesting though.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures TM we still got loads of snow, it doesn't want to leave just yet. I havent been out far to get any more pictures as it is so lethal underfoot at the moment. We went to the supermarket last night and I almost slipped getting one foot out of the door. Luckily Grandad North knows what I am like and saved me from splitting my difference !!!!!
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2010 5:24pm (Dec 7th 2010)

I have a mental pic of Grandad North clutching the hood of your anorak and carrying you along the road by the scruff...! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2010 10:03pm (Dec 7th 2010)

It was -8.5C when I was scraping the windows of the car this morning. All of our snow is gone but we have amazing levels of frost - the trees look fantastic! If I remember I'll take a picture of the trees at work tomorrow.
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2010 3:56pm (Dec 8th 2010)

We still have snow every where Kate and even had a little top up last night. It is starting to look dirty in places now and is getting tedious. The ice is the worst bit as we haven't had any grit down and the ice on a lot of the roads is a good four inches thick. Grandad North took me over to Becky's yesterday and the roads and paths were even worse her end of the village. She has been unable to take Theo out for a walk as there is no way she could manage the push chair and him. He has to make do with a game in the garden, it won't hurt him but he is a large dog and needs excercise or else he gets to boisterous in the house.
    Hope you remember to take the pictures of the trees they look so beautiful covered in frost.
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2010 5:07pm (Dec 8th 2010)

We went down the valley yesterday evening as Grandad North noticed the mist comming up from the river and wanted to take a few pictures. I managed to get a couple but then my battery needed recharging.
      river mist.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2010 5:08pm (Dec 8th 2010) edited

I pinched these from Grandad North....
      Imgp1953.jpg
      plant.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2010 5:11pm (Dec 8th 2010) edited

Here I am in the mist and the second picture is of a lovely little cat that came for a fuss on the way home
      urban gurilla in the mist.jpg
      cat.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2010 5:33pm (Dec 8th 2010)

Amazing pics, NN - and GN!
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2010 5:49pm (Dec 8th 2010) edited

Thanks NN for sharing your lovely pictures they are always good to see.You look very cosy and all rapped up NN.
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2010 5:55pm (Dec 8th 2010)

Ha ha that was the only other decent coat I had after getting an eggy pocket Lee !!! Thank you for your kind words about the pictures I always enjoy seeing your pictures as well.
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2010 12:24am (Dec 9th 2010)

Great pics NN and a lovely kitty with his winter coat on too.
    Um what is an eggy pocket?:face-plain:
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2010 9:16am (Dec 9th 2010)

Thanks TM, he is a lovely kitty an English short hair I believe, and yes his coat was so thick and dense.

Ha ha an eggy pocket tale is in the "Lets have a laugh each day thread". It was something to have a laugh about so batten down waterproof hatches before you read it I don't want you laughing and coughing at the same time....just in case !!!!:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2010 9:25am (Dec 9th 2010) edited

While I am here I took these about a couple of hours back, it was a lovely sunrise and so peaceful out I just had to capture it.
      sunrise.jpg
      sunrise2.jpg
      maggies.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2010 10:38am (Dec 9th 2010)

Honestly NN you are so talented you manage to see beauty in a scene and capture it on the camera, you have a very creative eye.
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2010 4:58pm (Dec 10th 2010)

Julie is right NN you certainly no how to see what will make a nice photo very nice.
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2010 11:22pm (Dec 10th 2010)

I didn't get to take the pictures of the trees - there was no frost on them the other mornings.

Your pictures are great NN! (and GN!) We have had some lovely sunsets here too, just as if the horizon is on fire.
    • CommentTimeDec 16th, 2010 8:59pm (Dec 16th 2010)

Here we go again, it looks like you might get another chance to get pictures of the frosty trees
      its back.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 16th, 2010 9:03pm (Dec 16th 2010)

We had some very heavy snow showers today, but it was really weird. It would come down really heavy then stop in an instant as if someone had turned off a switch! My umbrella is broken - not only was it snowing but the wind was really strong and I hadn't realised until I turned the corner of our building at work. We've had a weather warning for tomorrow morning.
    • CommentTimeDec 16th, 2010 9:03pm (Dec 16th 2010)

Ours won't settle :face-sad:
    • CommentTimeDec 16th, 2010 9:20pm (Dec 16th 2010)

My poor girls were none to happy to see it again and the wind was bitter.
    My garden was mega slippery with the mud from the last lot melting and then the snow on top I almost feel twice. The girls were watching and I am sure they had a smile on their beaks !!
    • CommentTimeDec 18th, 2010 7:17pm (Dec 18th 2010)

We're up to our ears in it. The chickens stayed indoors except Lemon who came out for a crow and a run round. The rabbits sat in the snow...stupid animals...six inches deep and they still sit out in it.
    • CommentTimeDec 18th, 2010 11:36pm (Dec 18th 2010)

Has new bunny settled in OK CC? Sorry, can't remember its name. :face-sad:
    • CommentTimeDec 19th, 2010 3:45pm (Dec 19th 2010)

Lionel? He's having a whale of a time zapping about digging in the snow...nutter.
    • CommentTimeDec 19th, 2010 7:09pm (Dec 19th 2010)

We haven't much here at the moment CC but it hasn't been above freezing for a week now. I spilt the hens water on the step and it was frozen by the time I had sorted them out first thing. Poor old things.

I cleaned their bedroom out this afternoon and their poop was frozen solid on the floor. It took ages to scrape out. They are now on extra deep litter and the nest boxes are spilling over with sweet hay. I have put cardboard and old carpet on the top of their house to try and keep the warmth in for them. It is supposed to be -7 tonight and most of the day tomorrow.

My hands were so cold they were purple by the time I had finished and I had gloves on as well. I made the stupid mistake of washing them in hot water and was hopping about with hot aches for ten minutes !!!!

Sootz was out with me and didn't want to come back inside he was a right pain to catch. His paws were really warm as he has a big layer of long fur that covers the pads.
    • CommentTimeDec 19th, 2010 9:52pm (Dec 19th 2010)

I suppose Maine Coons and Norweigen Forests are 'designed' for this type of weather - glad Sootz made the most of it even if he was a nuisance for you NN!!! Our forecast is for -14 tonight so I'm not looking forward to the roads tomorrow morning. I hope all your efforts keep your girls a little warmer tonight. I'm sure they appreciate it!
    • CommentTimeDec 20th, 2010 3:34pm (Dec 20th 2010) edited

There was lots of snow in Yorkshire, we had great fun...took Joe out sledging which was brilliant. Lyle and Joe went down on a tiny circular sledge; Lyle lay on it on his front and Joe sat on top of him!!

Some snow pics from this weekend...
      snow.jpg
      snow4.jpg
      snow6.jpg
      snow3.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 20th, 2010 3:36pm (Dec 20th 2010) edited

These are all of the lake in Bierley woods, it was all iced over and had snow on top.
      snow7.jpg
      snow9.jpg
      snow10.jpg
      snow12.jpg
      snow8.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 20th, 2010 6:58pm (Dec 20th 2010)

Superb photo's Red I love all the animal tracks. Glad you had fun.
    • CommentTimeDec 20th, 2010 7:29pm (Dec 20th 2010)

What happened to the table sledge?
    • CommentTimeDec 20th, 2010 8:50pm (Dec 20th 2010)

Are they rabbit tracks Red?
    • CommentTimeDec 21st, 2010 10:56am (Dec 21st 2010) edited

Thanks NN, yep we had a good few days enjoying the snow!

Kate, yeah they were rabbit prints all across the lake!
    CC, the table sledge is at uni - we didn't dare risk trying to take it back on the trains! :gasp: :lol:
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2010 1:16pm (Dec 23rd 2010) edited

Fantastic photo,s Red thanks for sharing them its great looking at pictures. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2010 5:56pm (Dec 23rd 2010)

Cheers Lee ^_^
    • CommentTimeDec 24th, 2010 8:03pm (Dec 24th 2010)

Thanks for sharing all the pictures, Red..it looks like you had great fun. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 24th, 2010 9:46pm (Dec 24th 2010)

Thanks Lynn, I do love snow! :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJan 7th, 2011 4:45pm (Jan 7th 2011) edited

Wilsden in the snow today :face-smile:
      snow2.jpg
      snow4.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 7th, 2011 7:02pm (Jan 7th 2011)

Looks so pretty don't it. Shame it causes so much disruption.