• CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2011 5:15pm (Jan 3rd 2011) edited

Well on coming in this afternoon at about 4.30pm i new i had to collect eggs from Winnie,Bunty,and Gingers coop (my ex bats) and i new that they would be in as it was dark so i lifted the roof off and there they were all 3 on the perches,so i thought great no one in the egg box i will put my hand through the curtain which covers the egg box to make it dark and grab the eggs!!!!!!!! and to my surprise i felt another chicken in there so got the eggs out lifted the curtain quickly to see and it was Shirley in there!!!!!!!!!!!

so put the lid back on so as not to disturb them.

So for some reason she has decided to move in with them and i no one of them used to sleep in the egg box,so she won,t be happy.
    But poor Amber my white one she is all alone in the biggest of the 2 coops i will have to keep an eye on this situation this might be the time to get them all in the big coop as this is what i always wanted to do.
    I had to laugh to myself though they are so funny chickens the joy they bring is fantastic.
      170720101076 (676 x 507).jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2011 7:38pm (Jan 3rd 2011)

I think you're right Lee, it's time to move them all to the "big house". Amber should be willing to have new friends now, if she was
    left alone in the big coop by Shirley. Just keep a close eye on her once you move everyone.
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2011 8:41pm (Jan 3rd 2011)

Have a go at what I did with my newbies Lee and put them all in together once it is dark. Should work a real treat as they all know each other. You might have to do it for two or three nights as they are creatures of habit. Once they get the idea they will be fine.

It could be because Shirley has gone broody and she was looking for a nice darkish nest. Sounds odd this time of year but one of my new girls has been broody for ages now. I have left her be as she has no feathers on her breast and as it is so cold I dont want her to get to chilled poor thing.
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2011 9:05pm (Jan 3rd 2011)

Well from tomorrow they are all in together so thats that.
    I don,t think she is broody NN but i will keep an eye on her from now as i think it has only started today when i opened them up this morning they all came out as they always have.
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2011 9:13pm (Jan 3rd 2011)

I hope she isn't for your sake especially as it is so cold. My silly little one is one of my newbies and she shakes with cold when I carry her from the hen house to the gazebo each morning. It is nice as she really snuggles into me. She gobbles down some food and has a drink of water does a huge poo then pedals back to the hen house at a great rate of knots. I do spoil her as I feed her in the hen house at three with warm sweet corn so she doesnt get chilled before bed time !!!!
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2011 9:27pm (Jan 3rd 2011)

Oh NN you are just a big softie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and when they are broody don,t they do massive poo,s :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2011 9:33pm (Jan 3rd 2011)

Yes they sure do it is odd really as they don't eat as much as normal I guess they just keep it all corked up to save keep getting off the nest !!!!!
    • CommentTimeJan 4th, 2011 8:49pm (Jan 4th 2011)

Well I shut Ginger,Winnie,and Bunty,s coop up this afternoon to see if they would go in the bigger coop Ginger went in,Bunty went in,and Shirley the house mover went in leaving Amber who,s house it is with Winnie I have a light in the big coop so i left that on so they could all see what they were doing as they set them selfs up for the night Amber and Winnie did go in after a while so i closed the door and they are all down there now asleep together its a start!!!!
    • CommentTimeJan 4th, 2011 8:54pm (Jan 4th 2011)

Well done Lee, it will be better for them all in together especially when it is so cold. It is perishing here and the ground has been rock hard with frost. The wind nigh on slices you in two.
    • CommentTimeJan 4th, 2011 9:04pm (Jan 4th 2011)

The temperature is not to bad here at the moment NN about 5 degrees but is going down in the next week.
    • CommentTimeJan 6th, 2011 6:50pm (Jan 6th 2011)

Well this is the third night they have been altogether now and they are all fine was really quite easy in the end it does not take a chicken long to learn new ways. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJan 6th, 2011 6:55pm (Jan 6th 2011)

It's a worry though, isn't it? Glad it went so well.
    • CommentTimeJan 6th, 2011 7:14pm (Jan 6th 2011)

Yes it is CC Sara said to me when i told her what i was going to do "well you will me on edge for the next few days now" but i wasn't to bad Just got some wine down me!!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJan 6th, 2011 10:57pm (Jan 6th 2011)

Well done Lee, you should feel proud of yourself!
    • CommentTimeJan 7th, 2011 5:51pm (Jan 7th 2011)

Once we find a container for the berries, the mistletoe will be on its way, Lee. Anyone else want some?
    • CommentTimeJan 7th, 2011 6:58pm (Jan 7th 2011)

Good job done there Lee. I am glad they settled so well. I think it is the best way as my oldies and newbies settled mega quick and I would be more than happy to do it again with any newbies.

I am right pleased to say that Little Spex has decided she don't want to be broody any more.. Poor little mite is right at the bottom of the pecking order now so I am having to put about four heaps of hot mash here and there so she can get plenty of food into herself, with out having to endure the others being mean.
    • CommentTimeJan 7th, 2011 7:00pm (Jan 7th 2011)

I will have a look how mine ios doing CC I should be ok hopefully thanks.