• CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2011 6:56pm (Feb 22nd 2011)

I had to go and buy new jeans today, I had got down to my last pair and they were getting a bit too worn feel safe in. What I really mean is they were almost worn through in the backside:blushing: well I have had them a good three years and they were my favourite pair.
    What an array of different styles and colours of jean there are. I only wanted a waist high, stretchy bootleg style in a pale blue with a 31 inch leg.
    Oh my word were they hard to find. Then when I did finally locate the sort I wanted I had to make do with the dark blue as the pale blue were sold out. I got two pairs of the dark blue just in case I couldnt get any at all and will have to return for the pale blue. I think I will get a couple of pairs again while I am at it, thats if they have them of course. I do hate having to replace favourite things as you can never quite get what you wanted. What style of jeans are your favourites ?
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2011 9:04pm (Feb 22nd 2011)

I always have trouble with leg length. GAP used to have the perfect jeans for me, the waist would fit (no gaping at the back), they were long, and they were either bootleg or flare - both were great. It seems GAP have decided that in England, people with my waist don't have legs my length (and vice versa) and have stopped selling them. I can't find anything to fit me anymore so end up wearing very loose and baggy ones.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2011 5:44pm (Feb 23rd 2011)

Lastic! Why don't you look in the catalogues rather than traipsing the high street, NN? I rarely bother with real shops...
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2011 9:11pm (Feb 23rd 2011)

As flared as possible and preferably black. Impossible to find these days, it's all stupid skinny jeans... :ack2:

Started wearing 'tomboy' jeans, they're nice and baggy, sort of flared and have combat pockets so I'm happy with them.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2011 9:43pm (Feb 23rd 2011)

They don't seem to make a nice curved waist band any more Kate. I always get the gape at the back so I insert a short bit of elastic in the back of the band to cure it. I just don't care for shopping full stop CC I hate having to have new stuff.
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2011 5:11pm (Feb 24th 2011) edited

Good news my favourite jeans live on. The bum in them might have worn through but the legs were fine. Hence cushion covers for the cats chair. Pale blue jeans were mine and the darker ones were a pair of Grandad Norths that were to tight for him. They got the kimmi seal of approval.
      cat chair.jpg
      Kimmi.jpg
      pockets.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2011 5:48pm (Feb 24th 2011)

My favourite thing is my laptop.
    I am making arrangements to have it grafted onto my left thigh.

On the other hand, I am also waiting for that virtual screen that will appear, in mid air if you want, when I press the button on the device that is part of my watch. There is a virtual keyboard too.
    Roll on technology, hurry up please, I'm running out of time now.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 11:53am (Feb 25th 2011)

You will need a huge pocket in your jeans then Ollie:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 12:35pm (Feb 25th 2011)

my favourite things:

roses
    my bed
    wine

almost in that order. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 2:31pm (Feb 27th 2011)

At the moment my new favourite thing in the Kitchen is this glass pastry board. I have wanted one for several years now but they were always so pricy and you didn't see them about very often.
    We were in Morrisons last week because we had some vouchers that you get from petrol sales to spend in there and lo and behold there they were and only £4.99. Grandad North was delighted that I had seen something I wanted and quickly put one in the shopping trolley. He is always looking out for things for me as he worries I don't have much and can not understand that I don't need much to be happy Bless him.
      board.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 2:32pm (Feb 27th 2011)

What is the favourtie thing in your kitchen at the moment?
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 4:46pm (Feb 27th 2011)

A bottle of Merlot.:tooth:
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 11:53pm (Feb 27th 2011)

The washing machine!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 7:36am (Feb 28th 2011)

My 1970s milk bottle that I found in the undergrowth when i was putting a new fence up for my mum and dad. this type.
      3379276675_7a69877c1a.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 12:53pm (Feb 28th 2011) edited

Posted By: nanny northWhat is the favourtie thing in your kitchen at the moment?

Bam!! :laugh:
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 9:31pm (Feb 28th 2011)

Cool milk bottle Lee. and a lucky find.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 1:58pm (Mar 1st 2011) edited

Like CC... a botle of red which will be pretty empty by 6 pm to-day. It will be replaced by another though. :-)

Honestly, my favourite thing is things in the kitchen starting with my bottle of wine, rolling pin, my knives, my bread machine...all depends on what I am on at the time. Hic !!!
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 6:39pm (Mar 1st 2011)

My other faves in the kitchen are my 'Accidents' sign pointing to the cooker and my 'Drinks served in the Interval' sign from the Albert Hall. And the pub sign.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 8:02pm (Mar 1st 2011) edited

They sound real quirky CC and good fun as well. My other favourites are the spice rack and handy items rack Grandad North made me.
      bits n.jpg
      spice.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 8:58pm (Mar 1st 2011)

Lorsy me! Do you really use all those herbs and spices?

I bet that's a real old fashioned steel (knife sharpener) you have there. The modern ones don't do the job half as well.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 10:20pm (Mar 1st 2011)

Blimey NN i wish you lived with me i would eat like a king!!!!!!!!!!!! :face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2011 1:41pm (Mar 2nd 2011)

I still use the old fashioned knife sharpener too. One of my pet hates is a dull knife.:face-smile:

Lee, I have many spices, just like NN but they stay in a cabinet..all in one place though so I don't have to search for anything.

I have a bottle in the kitchen for cooking with and I have a bottle in my bathroom for me.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2011 4:28pm (Mar 2nd 2011)

My favourite thing was a bottle of Sailor Jerry's, but that's unfortunately empty now!

Has to be my Stellar knife set, we shopped round ages for it...

Or maybe the Smart Car calendar with all the family birthdays and anniversaries written on by Helen!
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2011 5:57pm (Mar 2nd 2011)

Have you used the knife yet!? :P
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2011 7:46pm (Mar 2nd 2011)

Posted By: ShobhnaAnother faviourite of mine.....and away from the kitchen completely, is my bottle of pure coconut oil. The best skin and hair conditioner ever.

Shobhna Sara has asked me how you put the Coconut oil on your hair is it just straight from the bottle ? might be be good for my hair to!!!!!!!!!!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2011 8:28pm (Mar 2nd 2011)

Yes Ollie I do use all my herbs and spices. I think the best way to sharpen a knife is by a steel. I can not bear using a dull knife but it is suprising how many people do.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2011 1:27pm (Mar 4th 2011)

Lee,
    there you go....

and NN, I agree with you. I struggle with some of my friends when I am helping with a big cook-up and I can't find a single sharp knife to help chop the vegetables with.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2011 7:00pm (Mar 4th 2011)

As the granddaughter of a blacksmith, I would NEVER have a blunt knife/chisel/screwdriver in the house - I can't even bear a blunt pencil! :)
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2011 2:26pm (Mar 10th 2011) edited

What is the favourite picture in your house? This is mine it is a small oil painting of Orford Castle done on a pebble from the beach. I bought it on a visit more than fourty years ago. The detail on it is lovely I wish I could paint like that.
      Img_9758.jpg
      Img_9759.jpg
      Img_9762.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2011 6:08pm (Mar 10th 2011)

Well NN this is my best-est picture this means a lot to me because one i am a great fan of Jimi Hendrix and two it was bought for me on the last Fathers day by Sara and the children it is a Charcoal drawing on a canvas frame and we had been looking for a picture the right size to fit in our newly decorated bedroom above our bed and this is perfect in every way
    :face-smile:
      DSCF5718.JPG
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2011 6:52pm (Mar 10th 2011)

A painting of a sheep. It's very sheepy!
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2011 8:47pm (Mar 10th 2011)

About 10 years ago we had 2 Irish lads stay with us when they came over to take part in the ice hockey club's annual tournament. As thanks for taking care of him, one of the boy's grandad's painted a beautiful water colour of a beach and sent it over to me. The following year the lad stayed with us again and he brought a matching painting. Sadly, they're in a cupboard - along with the other pictures we own ... our walls are bare!
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2011 7:32pm (Mar 11th 2011)

Get 'em up up! Nature abhors a bare wall...:)
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2011 8:39pm (Mar 11th 2011)

Oh what a shame Kate, do you prefer bare walls ? I know a lot of people can not do with stuff cluttering the house up. Mine is full bits and bobs and would be even more cluttered with out the Maincoons throwing stuff off the furniture cos they need to drape themselves over every thing.
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2011 9:53pm (Mar 11th 2011)

Hmm, I hadn't thought about that but yes, I think I do like bare walls. Saying that, I really love pictures and paintings and could spend hours in a gallery. I don't look at them in an 'arty' way (form and emotion and perspective and such like), just appreciate the beauty of them. So yes, I should get them up shouldn't I!
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2011 4:25pm (Mar 12th 2011)

I've never understood people who analyse art or music; it just IS, and you either like it or you don't! (Mind you, they didn't like my point of view on that at school or at university...tough!)
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2011 2:18pm (Mar 13th 2011)

I forgot to say Lee I love your Jimmi picture he is a favourite with me as well.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2011 2:54pm (Mar 13th 2011)

I completely agree CC. The way they go on about the Mona Lisa - isn't it jut a painting of a woman who didn't want to give a great beaming smile?! Maybe she had terrible teeth!
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2011 7:36pm (Mar 15th 2011) edited

I just saw this thread and happened to have bought a canvas picture from Focus today, at 75% off! It had some minor damage, the packaging was destroyed and there were a few scratches to the canvas, but you can barely tell and I fell in love with the photo...doesn't look as good here, it's really lovely :)
      imp10.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2011 10:20pm (Mar 15th 2011)

I think it's lovely, Red!
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2011 10:25pm (Mar 15th 2011)

Very tranquil...restful...ZZZzzzzzzz....:)
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2011 11:30pm (Mar 15th 2011)

Yes, I like that one too Red. And a bargain so can't be bad!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2011 2:04pm (Mar 16th 2011)

My faviourite photos on my walls:

Sunset over Karen (a beautiful place in Nairobi. Kenya)
    Photo taken by my brother in 1969 of a pride of lions on our last visit to Tsavo National Park.
    A close up picture of a mother and baby elephant.
    (I love elephants and would have a real one if I had space.)

what I don't like on my walls is pictures of war planes and war ships and anything war related. We have enough unrest in this world without having to look at it daily. I also don't hang up photos of my family. I know what they look like. :-)
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2011 10:28pm (Mar 16th 2011)

I was watching Discovery channel the other day and the presenter was on an island somewhere. He was showing a bone that had been unearthed from the leg of an elephant - except the elephant was dog-sized! Apparently when the earth was still one big continent and they could walk from place to place they ended up on this island when it broke away, and because space and food was limited evolution 'shrank' them! Shame they didn't survive, you could've had one then Shobhna!
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2011 3:42pm (Mar 17th 2011)

Blimey Kate i did not no that about a dog sized elephant i love them to my loft is full of all sorts of them all in boxes now.
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2011 7:24pm (Mar 17th 2011)

Does that mean if the population of the UK keeps going up I'll end up a size six? :gasp:
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2011 9:08pm (Mar 17th 2011)

Definately CC - as long as you're prepared to wait a few thousand years! (well, either that or you'll be 3 foot tall!)
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2011 1:22pm (Mar 18th 2011)

Kate, I could do with one of those little effalumps.

Lee, Effalumps are just lovely and when I marry my millionaire I am going to have to go live somewhere where the effalumps are in my back garden. :face-smile:

CC, I can't wait to be a size six though I will settle for a size 12, however, I don't fancy the 3 foot tall bit. :face-monkey:
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2011 5:00pm (Mar 18th 2011)

Posted By: ShobhnaLee, Effalumps are just lovely

The trouble is Shobhna when i watch the documentaries on tv i always end up crying like a baby. Elephants always pull my heart strings!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2011 5:25pm (Mar 18th 2011)

I am just the same Lee any thing sets me off. I can not watch the vet or animal rescue type things as I just can not get them out of my mind. I always cry when some one says one of their pets have passed over as I know how painful it is.
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2011 11:24pm (Mar 18th 2011)

That's me too - I used to like animal programmes but find them far too emotional now.
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2011 6:19pm (Mar 20th 2011)

I never watch animal programmes...I end up all of a puddle of sniffles.
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2011 6:49pm (Mar 20th 2011)

We're a soft lot!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 21st, 2011 4:49am (Mar 21st 2011)

me too 'sniff sniff'.