• CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 11:36am (Feb 25th 2011) edited

I thought it might be a good idea to share a few little growing ideas that cost next to nothing this year. Not only is it fun but saves a few pence as well.
    Lets start the ball rolling with celery. Cut the bottom inch and a half off and put on your window sill in a dish of shallow water. We like celery so I got five on the go already !!! Little tip.... wrap any stems you cant't use there and then in baco foil and put in the salad draw of the fridge keeps for ages.
      celery1.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 11:40am (Feb 25th 2011)

See the brown root buds forming all around the base. As you can see you will have long white roots starting to grow. Be carefull not to knock these off.
      celery2.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 11:47am (Feb 25th 2011) edited

You will also get leaves starting to sprout at the top. When it gets a bit warmer. I will plant them up in the garden to grow fully. They can be planted in a tub for the patio if you don't have a little veg area. You can either cut the whole thing to use at once or cut a few stalks as you require them, but that wont be for a few months of course.
      celery 3.jpg
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 12:14pm (Feb 25th 2011)

NN, what an excellent idea. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 5:18pm (Feb 25th 2011)

If I can keep the rabbits off them! :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 8:37pm (Feb 25th 2011)

I love that first picture - they look like roses!
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 8:39pm (Feb 25th 2011)

Ha ha poor mans roses !!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 8:41pm (Feb 25th 2011)

I never realised how intricate celery was inside but that picture captures it. Don't think I'd appreciate a bunch of celery from my hubby though!!
    • CommentAuthorukhunter08
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 9:25pm (Feb 25th 2011)

Thats a new one on me NN but am not really into celery:face-sad:
    If there is anything you are unsure of for growing just give us a shout.
    I have just sorted my onion bed out 2day and going to start my seeds of next week.
    A little late as most gerdeners set them of around xmass to january.
    They will catch up so there is no worries there:face-smile:
    When i get 2mins will it be ok to put a coupple of pics up of my allotment on your thread.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 9:35pm (Feb 25th 2011)

Please do Hunter it is nice to have you here with us. Make yourself at home and join in with any thread you want to. We chat about almost anything.
    • CommentAuthorukhunter08
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 9:46pm (Feb 25th 2011)

I have had my allotment for the last 12 years but only started to plan it properly the last 3...
    So here goes:face-smile:

Back in 2009

Photobucket

2010

Photobucket

This years 2011

Photobucket

I will add a few more as time goes on and like i said i will do my best to give any info on growing veg:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 10:03pm (Feb 25th 2011)

Lovely Hunter and well thought out. Grandad North is making me up some more large planters for the patio this year as I had good success growing pumpkins in the one he built last year. I still have enough pumpkin pulp in the freezer for three more pumpkin pies. I want to do strawberries in one and butternut squash in another.
    • CommentAuthorukhunter08
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 10:27pm (Feb 25th 2011)

I got a 1st prize with an ornamental pumpkin a few years ago.
    The trick with them and the butternut squash or any squash is plenty of rotted muck.
    I grow my pumpkins dirctly into well rotted muck and once the have fruit i feed them every 2 weeks.
    I tryed to make pumpkin soup once...Never again but a recipe for the pie would not go a miss...Hint hint:face-smile:

This was in 2009

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This last pic was the biggest pumkin that won ant it weighed just short of 100lb.

Photobucket

I took it for the seeds but could not get them to germinat:face-sad:

Photobucket
    • CommentAuthorukhunter08
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2011 10:34pm (Feb 25th 2011)

Sory i was ment to say that this pumpkin was not mine. It was a few years befor this when i won with an ornamentil one and did not get a pic of it but i did get a second last year and i will put that on next time. The other pics with cards i did win:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2011 9:45pm (Feb 26th 2011)

There is a thread on here somewhere with recipies in hunter so you might find something you fancy trying in there. I'm sure someone will either point you in that direction, add a link, or just give you the pumpkin recipe here!
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 2:19pm (Feb 27th 2011)

Very impressive Humter and so nice to have you there to answer any growing problems we might have. That cabbage is amazing, I bet you got a few meals out of that.
    I will post you the pumpkin pie recipe when I get a spare moment to write it all up. Lee likes to have a bit of a cook up now and then so I must start another recipe thread... It is the ladies who are not so keen on the recipes!!!
    On top of the large page next to categories there is a google map directory where we all stick a pin in the map near to where we live. Please do have a look and see where we all are and maybe you would like to put a pin in as well. MY guess is that you are near to Manchester !!?? Am I right or wrong ??
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 4:49pm (Feb 27th 2011)

Oldham to be prezact...:)
    • CommentAuthorukhunter08
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 5:18pm (Feb 27th 2011)

Oldham will be right..I did try and pin were i lived but the map would not come on.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 9:33pm (Feb 28th 2011)

Oh that was a shame Hunter try again next time you are about
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 8:20pm (Mar 1st 2011)

Growing something No 2 have you got potatoes in the bag that have done this?
      sprouting.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 8:25pm (Mar 1st 2011) edited

Put them in a sunny spot to green up and then aprox 4th week in March you can plant them in your garden or a nice deep planter for a few new spuds later on. You won't get as many new ones as if you had bought seed potatoes. But you will get a good taster or two. Here are some I have put out to green up and will plant them up in my veg garden. We did well from them last year so fingers crossed.
      chitting.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2011 5:57pm (Mar 2nd 2011)

We've been doing that with one of our spuds, not that we have a garden :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2011 8:31pm (Mar 2nd 2011)

Just plant it up in a large pot and stand it by your back door, end of march Red. They have pretty flowers and do grow into a big bushy plant.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2011 12:25am (Mar 3rd 2011)

We don't have a back door either, hahaha! I was thinking we could hide it in the forest somewhere if we want, it's what we did with out tomato plant!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2011 6:45pm (Mar 3rd 2011)

What about a window box?
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2011 6:46pm (Mar 4th 2011) edited

That's a good idea CC! S'long as someone doesn't nick 'em :smile:

You can get them dead cheap in Wilko's too.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2011 2:11pm (Mar 10th 2011) edited

Remember the celery bottoms? Well they are doing very nicely. I potted them up today as I am not ready to put them straight into the garden just yet. It will give them a good start when I do put them out as they will make a nice root base. Just got to keep them watered.
      Img_9753.jpg
      Img_9754.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2011 6:26pm (Mar 10th 2011)

NN I do wish I had the time to do all the lovely things you do :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2011 8:40pm (Mar 11th 2011)

I like to keep fairly busy Lee.
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2011 8:49pm (Mar 11th 2011) edited

I bought some nice mint from Asda the other week as I wanted to make mint sauce. It is a different one to the one I grow in the garden so I kept three stalks back to root up. It is real easy to do you just take the bottom couple of sets of leaves off and stick them in a jar of water.
      Mint 1.jpg
      mint2.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2011 8:56pm (Mar 11th 2011) edited

Before you know it you will be seeing the white roots appearing in the leaf axles ...where you took the sets of leaves off.... Then all you got to do is pot them up to grow on for future use.
    I usually nip the tops out of the stems to make the plants bush up a bit more. You can plant them in the garden but be warned they can be very invasive plants.
      mint 3.jpg
      Img_9757.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2011 4:30pm (Mar 12th 2011)

My gran used to grow mint in a bucket to stop it rampaging all over the garden. Lovely smell, though; you can't beat the smell of fresh mint!
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2011 2:10pm (Mar 13th 2011) edited

Yes thats right CC, I have my other mint in a bucket but it still tries to escape. All the best bits of it seem to grow outside the bucket so I always pull them first. I don't mind the smell of mint, but can not eat it as it makes me feel sick. But I do make fresh mint sauce for Jay and Grandad North when we have lamb. I also like to chop some up and add to minced lamb and make lamb burgers for a change. I just make mine mint free !!
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2011 6:39pm (Mar 13th 2011)

Makes you feel sick? How odd; it's usually a CURE for nausea, not a cause! Perhaps it's an allergy, like LSE and mushrooms.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2011 1:49pm (Mar 16th 2011) edited

I am happy to let the mint spread a bit in my garden.
    Keeps me in mint chutney for a very long time.

• CommentTimeMar 17th, 2011 6:24pm (Mar 17th 2011)

Posted By: ShobhnaLee, if you like mint and would like a nice hot mint chutney recipe then I can post it up.

Yes please Shobhna :drool5:
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2011 8:42pm (Mar 17th 2011)

That sounds real nice Shobhna I would be interested in it as well please.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2011 1:18pm (Mar 18th 2011)

Let me find out recipe thread and I will post it on there.