• CommentAuthorukhunter08
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2011 5:24pm (Feb 26th 2011)

I went to my local nersery (Garden centre) today as i have not been for a year or so to get my seed potatos.
    It had been took over by new management and have started to sell chickens averaging around £30 each.
    Anyway getting to the point there was a large black hen in with a small white hen i think was a bantom. The black hen was picking and eating the feathers of the white hen.I did ask one of the workers ther and he told me thats what chickens do...
    I dont think that is normal and i think i have seen somthing on her about it. Is it to do with not enough protein. The thing also was the it did not seem to be botherd about being pecked at.
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2011 9:39pm (Feb 26th 2011)

Sounds like bullying to me! Doesn't sound like the staff know much about the hens - maybe you should educate them!
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 1:47pm (Feb 27th 2011)

Thats right Kate they don't know nothing about them and what a cr*p answer "Oh thats what hens do" makes your blood boil doesn't it. They shouldn't be selling them if they don't know about their care. Poor things they were bored silly, nothing to interest them and no nice fresh greens or anywhere to scratch about for grit, grubs and such.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 4:31pm (Feb 27th 2011)

Sometimes Onion will peck gently at Livia's chest feathers; no idea why, but as she doesn't seem bothered by it I've never done anything about it.
    • CommentAuthorukhunter08
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 5:14pm (Feb 27th 2011)

Like i said the little hen was just stood ther and the bigger black one was pecking and eating the little fluffy feathers.It was only a very small coop and not much of a run...NN they did look a bit bored in there.I was going to buy the black one put they told me that it does not lay many eggs and they were only little white eggs.For £30 i gave it a miss.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 8:44pm (Feb 28th 2011)

I cannot stand the fact that these places are selling chickens on the amount of eggs they lay i can see in the future that the only reason that you should buy a chicken is because it lays loads of big eggs not because they are Beautiful birds and extremely intelligent and very funny !!!!!!!!!!!!