• CommentAuthorladychook
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 10:02pm (Feb 27th 2011)

I have posted on a couple of the discussions to try and get a bit of notice but a new discussion is in order I think.

I am a final year student at Bristol University, studying animal behaviour. My dissertation is on feather pecking/cannibalism in chickens and I need to collect some data by either observing flocks of chickens or doing telephone surveys with those who keep chickens.

If anyone reads this who:

Has chickens
    lives in BRISTOL and surrounding area
    lives in DEVON (anywhere)

please get in touch if you wouldn't mind me observing your chooks for 20 minutes or so or taking part in a phone survey (which also wouldn't take long I promise).

It doesn't matter if you chickens have had cannibalistic issues in the past or whether they are the model bird - this study is a preliminary study looking at whether the problem extends to smaller flocks or not.

Hope to hear from you all soon!
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 10:18pm (Feb 27th 2011)

Hey ladychook, we have quite a few posts on feather pecking, I was thinking maybe a good place to start might be to search the forum and then email the members but I'm not sure if the forum even supports that...!

I will add your post as a news item on the front page of hencam tomorrow hopefully the increased exposure might help find someone willing to help.

Good luck, it sounds like your research could help future chicken-keepers!

For what it's worth, I don't think ours ever did it (other than pecking out feathers when establishing the 'pecking order'), but it's often caused by bad diet / lack of certain protein etc.

On the subject of cannabilism, I once saw an interview with a farmer who said he felt no guilt at eating chicken, as he said if he had a heart attack and died whilst cleaning out his (massive barn) full of chickens, he had no doubt they'd eat him... Even as a vegetarian I think I get where he's coming from!
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 11:49pm (Feb 27th 2011)

That's great Neil - I had suggested you do that on one of the other threads and then thought "oo, maybe he won't want to!" so am glad I hadn't spoken out of turn! Good luck with the dissertation!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 10:08am (Feb 28th 2011)

Sorry Kate, didn't see it in the 'organised chaos' that is this forum... :-)
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 5:01pm (Feb 28th 2011)

YOu'd already offered by the time I suggested - I hadn't seen YOUR post!!!! :face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorladychook
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 5:06pm (Feb 28th 2011)

Neil that's really helpful thank you! That's quite a funny chicken story too hehe.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 1:15am (Mar 1st 2011)

Posted By: neil

Yeah, but they wouldn't have killed him first....

And you could argue that about so many animals that are kept as pets too.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 8:54pm (Mar 1st 2011)

Posted By: RedYeah, but they wouldn't have killed him first....

And you could argue that about so many animals that are kept as pets too.

Suppose he could always go on the lion, shark and crocodile diet...
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2011 5:50pm (Mar 2nd 2011)

Haha, that'd be much fairer at least! :laugh: