• CommentTimeMar 4th, 2011 8:27pm (Mar 4th 2011)

I received a call from a 'representative' of BT, informing me that he was disconnecting me because of an unpaid bill.

I asked the guy's name - he gave me the very 'English' John Peacock with a very 'African' accent - & phone number - 0800 0800 152.

My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me again

He hung up.

I dialled 1471 - number withheld

I phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not recognized.

so I phoned the police to let them know. I wasn't the first! It's only just started apparently, but it is escalating.

Their advice was to let as many people as possible know of this scam. The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's real, so please make as many friends & family aware of this.

How is it done?

The cutting off of the line is very simple, he stays on the line with the mute button on and you can't dial out - but he can hear you trying (This is because the person who initiates a call is the one to terminate it). When you stop trying he cuts off and immediately calls back.

You could almost be convinced,

The sad thing is that it is so simple that it will certainly fool the elderly and vulnerable.By the way this is not about getting the cash as this would not get past merchant services - it is all about getting the credit card details which include the security number so that it can be used for far larger purchases.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2011 8:28pm (Mar 4th 2011)

I just got this e-mail from a friend who does work for BT and thought I would pass it on to you all.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2011 8:36pm (Mar 4th 2011)

Thanks NN for this I like yourself are with Virgin so will be aware and tell the rest of the family.There are some scum bags about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2011 11:31pm (Mar 4th 2011) edited

However he went on about the virus that was on my computer that my provider had informed them of.
    I let him ramble on, I just kept saying I didn't understand what he meant.
    He offered to fix it for me, just type in this formula......
    Then I revealed to him that it would be quite difficult as I don't have a computer....
    Thats when my line went dead !
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2011 6:04am (Mar 6th 2011) edited

Good for you Ollie..Way to go!! I'm glad you stopped the idiot in his tracks.:045:

Posted By: ollie in UKI got a phone call from India yesterday, and today - I'm sure it was the same guy.
    I let him ramble on, I just kept saying I didn't understand what he meant.
    He offered to fix it for me, just type in this formula......
    Thats when my line went dead !
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2011 9:52pm (Mar 6th 2011)

Well done Ollie you did real good there.
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 10:13am (Mar 7th 2011)

I enjoy winding up those salesmen, it's a sort of hobby of mine.
    The most annoying call I get is the silence for 15seconds and then a lovely ladies' voice saying sweetly "Goodbye".....
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 1:30pm (Mar 7th 2011)

Ollie in UK, the computer virus one has got itself many victims. We have had many victims amongst our users who fell for it.

I have my phone ex-directory so that cuts out the saddos and wierdos.:face-devil-grin:..There again a bit of heavy breathing would be fun sometimes !! :face-devil-grin: I still manage to get the occassional call from Utility companies. If I want to make my gas bills cheaper then I will find a way and most certainly will not be sat by my phone for them to ring me but they don't seem to understand that.
    I guess because I get so many 'selling calls' at work that I have got a bit hard with them. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 6:48pm (Mar 7th 2011)

When you get the silent one, Ollie, hit the # key over and over again; it confuses the computer that's fishing to see if you're in or not.
    The only heavy breathing on out 'phone is me, NN. My GBF Martin rang, and I picked up the 'phone and wheezed for a bit as I'd had to run to beat the answerphone. After a short pause, Martin asked 'Is that Gill or have I struck lucky...?'
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 9:44pm (Mar 7th 2011)

• CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 11:18pm (Mar 7th 2011)

That is VERY funny NN!
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2011 7:28am (Mar 8th 2011)

Love it NN :rofl:
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2011 4:41pm (Mar 8th 2011)

:rolling:
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2011 2:37pm (Mar 9th 2011)

My kids were out one time and I got a call....
    "hello Mum,"
    "you ok?"
    "Is it ok to sleep over at Pauls tonight?"
    "Have you asked his Mum?"
    " Yes it was her idea"
    "Ok see you tomorrow and be good and dont forget to say thanks for having me"
    "Thanks Mum, see you tomorrow"

All mine came in for their tea and I said to Dan I thought you were staying over at Pauls..... "No what gave you that idea"... oppps someone must have getten into trouble when they got home in the morning as none of mine had called.
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2011 5:18pm (Mar 9th 2011)

Ooops! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2011 8:29pm (Mar 13th 2011)

Ok, NN..I've laughed so hard I've got tears running down my face and my ribs hurt.
    That is soooooo funny. Thanks for making my day! :lol:

Posted By: nanny northHa ha thats funny CC. Years back when my kids were small, my phone rang while I was in the loo so I cracked the door open a bit and called Tim to answer it. I heard him say no she can't come she is in the toilet......well she might be a long time cos it smells like she is doing a poo !!!!!!!!!!! God was I soooo embarassed. luckily it was my boss and she had three kiddies worse than mine so we did have a laugh about it.
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd, 2011 7:20pm (Oct 23rd 2011)

Expect a flood of fraudulent emails from
    Nigeria, "I am Col Gaddafi's former
    finance minister and need your help to
    move $15 million out of Libya."
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd, 2011 9:04pm (Oct 23rd 2011)

I know, it's brilliant; I'm going to make a huuuuuuuuge donation to Hencam as soon as the 15 million comes through...
    • CommentAuthorLauraRa
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2013 12:54pm (Mar 13th 2013)

Received a phone call from BT, informing me that he was disconnecting me because of an unpaid bill.. He demanded payment immediately of £31.00 or it would be £ 118.00 to re-connect at a later date. The guy wasn't even fazed when I told him I was with Virgin Media, allegedly VM have to pay BT a percentage for line rental! I asked the guy's name - he gave me the very 'English' John Peacock with a very 'African' accent - & phone number -0800 0800 152. Obviously the fellow realized I didn't believe his story, so offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how & he told me to hang up & try phoning someone - he would disconnect my phone to prevent this. AND HE DID !! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me again. Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made & he said credit card, there & then. I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I had absolutely no intention of paying him, I didn't believe his name or that he worked for BT. He hung up. I dialed 1471 -number withheld I phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not recognized. So I phoned the police to let them know. I wasn't the first! It's only just started apparently, but it is escalating. Their advice was to let as many people as possible know of this scam. I found out a very good database here http://www.tellows.co.uk/ where I also shared my experience. The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's real, so please make as many friends & family aware of this. How is it done? This is good but not that clever. He gave the wrong number - it should have been 0800 800 152 which takes you through to BT Business. The cutting off of the line is very simple, he stays on the line with the mute button on and you can't dial out - but he can hear you trying. (This is because the person who initiates a call is the one to terminate it). When you stop trying he cuts off and immediately calls back. You could almost be convinced! The sad thing is that it is so simple that it will certainly fool many. By the way this is not about getting the cash as this would not get past merchant services - it is all about getting the credit card details which include the security number, to be used for larger purchases.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2013 3:15pm (Mar 13th 2013)

If you hang up on someone and they don't replace their receiver themselves, your 'phone will be inoperative for ten minutes. Try it on a friend, you'll see what I mean. What a pig - I'm so glad you didn't fall for it, Laura; a lot of people do, unfortunately.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2013 7:00pm (Mar 13th 2013)

I'm glad you didn't fall for that line of pooh, Laura. People like this guy are just plain and simple pond scum. :face-sad:
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2013 7:48pm (Mar 13th 2013)

I've heard of this scam too Laura. An email went round a while ago at work but I didn't know anyone it had actually happened to! Well done for reporting it etc. I've used that Tellows web site, and anytime I get a call from a number I don't recognise I google it.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2013 12:53pm (Mar 14th 2013)

I seeem to be getting the "Accident Claims" calls. As I said before I love to wind them up.

This particular one I answer by going into a big screaming panic, shrieking at them to tell me who has had an accident this time, what has happened, where have they been taken to. Even manage to get a sob in here and there...

Lovely fun.
    They tend to get fed up quite quickly and hang up.
    :face-crying:
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2013 1:11pm (Mar 14th 2013)

Then comes the phone call "We have it on record that someone in your household has worked in a noisy environment" claiming to be from some Ministry or other.

Her I go rambling about well we do tune speedway bikes which of course don't have silencers. Then, Ah yes I guess labour ward is a noisy place with all those screaming women.

Then switch to asking which department had supplied this information... and dwell on that a lot.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2013 3:22pm (Mar 14th 2013)

You do make me laugh Ollie the things you think of. I would love to be there hearing you act it all out. Even funnier would be seeing their faces when you let rip with a wail of "Oh No Who is it this time?"
    I had my house phone took out in the end as all I was getting was nuisance calls. I dont miss it and have a cheapie mobile if any one wants to call me, not that I usually have it with me mind !!
    This new scam is the same as the one I originally posted I thought it sounded familiar when I read it. They even use the same name as back then. Good job to be reminded of it seeings as they have started it up again. Well done Laura, thank you.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2013 6:06pm (Mar 14th 2013)

Well done Ollie, what a hoot! I got the 'noisy environment' one and kept saying 'Eh? What?' until they realised I was taking the wotsit and hung up.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2013 8:06pm (Mar 14th 2013)

You lot are so funny! I would love to see their faces at the other end, (though I do feel a little bit sorry for them seeing as they're probably under 25 and have had to take the job to pay their bills). I bet they have a good laugh between themselves about your calls too though. It will brighten their day!