• CommentTimeMar 6th, 2011 9:10pm (Mar 6th 2011)

I noticed Jeanie trews has a rather awkward gait the other day and after scrabbling about behind a rose bush and a rather thick yellow flowered shrub I managed to catch her. I got fair scratched up as she is a sod to catch. Well worth it though as on close inspection of her feet I discovered she had two small dark spots on one foot and a larger one that looked like a small wart on the other foot.

Have a look at this site as it explains all about Bumblefoot in an easy to understand way and saves me having to write it all up

Jeanie.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2011 9:13pm (Mar 6th 2011)

Luckily I have managed to catch it in good time so can treat it here at home. I am having to keep her indoors though as I can not cope with having to catch her each day to bathe and redress her feet
      blue shoes.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2011 9:18pm (Mar 6th 2011)

I have to wrap her in a towel so I can do her by myself, she is quite good but managed to wriggle free today and slipped into the wash basin further than need be !!
      dressing.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2011 9:20pm (Mar 6th 2011)

She is really making herself at home in the conservatory, and scolds the cats when they want to go in there to use the litter trays
      chair.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 6:45pm (Mar 7th 2011)

I have to say Jeannie doesn't look very impressed with her new Jimmy Choos...what an outraged expression! And what a good thing that you caught the bumblefoot early, NN...
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 6:50pm (Mar 7th 2011)

Maybe she'd have preferred purple bandages - seems to be the most popular colour on hencam!! Well done for spotting she had a problem - rats can get bumblefoot too, I didn't know hens could get it. I hope she recovers soon both for herself and for your cats bladders!!
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 8:29pm (Mar 7th 2011) edited

I must say NN she looks a little bit P----d off in that last photo!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is an ideal photo for a caption ....................... OK OK NN has made me ware these stupid socks that are very embarrassing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But on a serious note NN i am glad you are sorting her out she is lovely!!!!!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 8:52pm (Mar 7th 2011)

She is being good but misses her sisters badly.
    It isnt easy bandaging hens feet, but Grandad North and I came up with something real simple so I must try and get pictures of how to do it. You never know when it could be helpful. What makes it worse with her is the feathered legs, they are real stiff feathers so you have to let the bottom feathers stick out.

I have checked the other girls feet and thank goodness they are all ok. She could have bruised or cut herself as my garden is full of stones. The only other thing we thought of was one of the speckled hens would never roost on the bars for ages but would roost on the edge of the nesting box instead. She does go on the bars properly now though.
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2011 10:49pm (Mar 7th 2011)

Haha, good job NN! She's gorgeous but does look angry, hahaha. Well done and I hope her feet are fully healed soon.
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2011 7:34am (Mar 8th 2011)

Posted By: nanny northThe only other thing we thought of was one of the speckled hens would never roost on the bars for ages but would roost on the edge of the nesting box instead. She does go on the bars properly now though.

A couple of mine started roosting on the edge of my nest box a couple of years ago NN and i was worried that this would hurt there feet being such a thin piece of wood so i took it out and put in some proper size wood for them to roost on....... problem solved a couple of them still use it along with the perches.
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2011 1:21pm (Mar 9th 2011)

I have managed to do the bandaging a chickens foot demo by myself today, so please excuse the non to good photos.
    Another thing is before you all say but you were not wearing gloves, I usually do but forgot to buy more yesterday. I did scrub up before and after very well though.

Oh by the way did you know that a hen wrapped in a towel laying on her side or back can projectil poo very well. I didn't until I started treating Jeanie. They also like to trash your bathroom if they can wriggle just a little bit free while you are doing the foot bathing stage. now you can not say I didn't warn you !!!
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2011 1:28pm (Mar 9th 2011) edited

I like to get every thing ready first so the job can be done quickly. Roughly work out the size of your hens foot and cut a non stick dressing the size needed then cut two slits in it as shown.

Cut a large bit of cohesive dressing as shown. Then cut three slits for the front toes and one for the back toe. I hope you can see what I mean by the photo's. You will want a couple of strips to help hold every thin in place as well.
      get ready.jpg
      show holes.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2011 1:32pm (Mar 9th 2011) edited

After treating the foot place the non stick piece as shown. Then the cohesive. The slits must be large enough for the toes to go in comfortably but not to large so the bandage and dressing rides up tightly between the toes.
    I had to do this on my bed so I could do the pictures so see how I have used the towel to keep her calm and her vent covered so every thing is "safe" !!! Oh that's the cats blanket as I didnt want to risk getting poo on my quilt ha ha
      non stick dressing.jpg
      cohesive.JPG
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2011 1:48pm (Mar 9th 2011) edited

Draw the corners of the cohesive gently together up round the leg letting it stick to itself. they do tend to close their feet so the back toe comes forward remember that it will lay to the back then they stand so make sure it won't be bunched up under the foot.
      back toes.jpg
      pull in corners.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2011 1:51pm (Mar 9th 2011) edited

You will see from the first photo I cut two strips of cohesive use one to wrap round the leg not to high up just enough to every thing in place. Dont do it to tightly though as the cohesive will tighten up by its self. It makes a nice neat finish and she wont be able to peck it off.
      wrap strip.jpg
      neat.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2011 1:57pm (Mar 9th 2011) edited

Job done now. As she has feathered legs I have make provision for the bottom stiff feathers stick out or else they would be uncomfortable so I just made sure they were sticking out while drawing the cohesive up. You won't get no thanks mind just a dirty look and right where is my treat !!!!
      proper job.jpg
      want treat now.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2011 2:11pm (Mar 9th 2011)

I hope you never have to do this as no one wants their pet to be poorly. But you never know when it could be helpful to someone to be in the know and as I said before they have funny old feet to bandage.

Oh by the way did you like her nail extensions ?!!! Scary or what. Thanks Jeanie and I hope you are better soon and can get back with your sisters.
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2011 5:15pm (Mar 9th 2011)

Even her FOOT looks outraged! :) Really useful pics, NN; thanks!
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2011 7:26am (Mar 10th 2011)

Brilliant NN very useful thank you :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2011 8:26pm (Mar 11th 2011)

Jeanie is back in with her sisters tonight. She has been in the gazebo for two days so they get used to seeing her again. I just brought her into the house for the night. She still has her Jimmy Choos on. I dressed her feet this morning and will check them again Sunday. The bumbles are all out and she is healing very well. She was getting very fretful and wouldn't eat hardly any thing being inside. When I first put her in the gazebo she straight away had a dust bath and then ate properly. Fingers crossed she doesn't get to picked on tomorrow.
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2011 4:19pm (Mar 12th 2011)

I bet all the girls will want a pair of Jimmy Chooks now...:face-smile: Glad she's getting better, NN.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2011 1:54pm (Mar 13th 2011) edited

Thanks CC, you know what I was really worried about reintroducing her to the others, seeings she would be new again all by herself. Goldie and Auntie Beak had already manged to give her a pecking through the wire of the gazebo.
    Then I remembered the old garlic trick used years ago.
    Fortunately Grandad North had a rather stinky garlic sausage in the fridge I had to triple wrap it so the smell didnt invade anything else in there. Ha ha ha..... a good scheme to get rid of that... bargain I thought !!!. I chopped it all up and gave them all some for a bit of extra supper just before bed time they gobbled it up no problems. Then once it was dark I smuggled Jeanie into the coop between two of her sisters, they just mumbled a bit but shuffled aside to let her in.
    In the morning I took out the rest of the sausage for their breakfast which they devoured in seconds and didn't even notice anything was different. They all smelt the same and there was always extra speckled hens so all must be well !!!! I tell you what if I ever had to reintroduce any more hens to the flock I would go out and buy a stinky garlic sausage myself just for the peace of mind !!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2011 6:34pm (Mar 13th 2011)

What a brainwave, NN; and an excellent tip!
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2011 7:32pm (Mar 13th 2011)

Thank you for the helpful pictures and the tip for reintroducing chickens..it will be of great help to me, NN.:bighug:
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2011 8:37pm (Mar 17th 2011)

• CommentTimeMar 17th, 2011 9:04pm (Mar 17th 2011)

Glad she's better NN, you're a good nurse! How funny that she misses her 'shoes'!
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2011 9:56pm (Mar 17th 2011)

She's looking at her feet wondering what colour Jimmy Chooks she'll go for next. And how high the heel should be...
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2011 5:15pm (Mar 18th 2011) edited

Ha ha I just hope she don't get any more I only got white cohesive left !!!! Still I might be able to fashion her a pair of these
      article-1367221-0B371C2D00000578-372_634x342.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2011 9:49pm (Mar 18th 2011)

Is it bad that it took me a while to work out what they actually are?!

I was like "swan head pots?...no...decorations?...no...Oh! They're SHOES!!"
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2011 11:11pm (May 22nd 2011)

Posted By: nanny northSo pleased it will be usefull Lynn. She is all healed now. It was funny when the bandages were taken off as she had got used to wearing them and kept lifting her feet high and was looking at them all suprised like, she is walking good again with no limp.

Well, I had to use this helpful hint today, NN..Donald has been taking care of the big chicken while I have been busy raising the baby chicks..he let one of them get bumblefoot and didn't even tell me till today. OMG you should have seen her foot!!! 2 infected HOLES in her left foot. She is now traumatized from having her foot drained of all the puss and bandaged up and antibiotics poured down her throat. If she doesn't die, it will be a miracle. I'm so mad at Don for letting her get into this shape I could spit quarters!!! grrrrrrrr!
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2011 2:59am (May 23rd 2011)

Oh no you poor girls, it is a nasty thing for them to get and must have been a real shock to you to suddenly come across it like that. She will feel such instant relief to have the bumbles off and the muck drained. Now you just got to hope that the antibiotics kick in real quick so the infection doesn't get to tight a hold.
    I am glad the info was of some help and ironically you did say in an earlier post it would be helpful to you. Keep us posted as to how she gets on.
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2011 9:51pm (May 23rd 2011)

Men - you just can't trust them to do a job right, and they wonder why they get nagged! I hope she will get through it and that NN's tips help her to recover.
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2011 7:46am (May 24th 2011)

She seemed much better today when I changed the bandage on her foot. She doesn't act like she is sick, just her foot is very sore. She's eating and drinking, but doesn't want to try to move around on her poor foot. She is NOT pleased to have her foot messed with..she gives me "that" look..like she would love to scratch my face off..."the stink eye"...if looks could kill I'd be dead already.
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2011 4:51pm (May 24th 2011)

Hope she gets better soon, Lynn. And that you survive nursing her. And that Donald survives your displeasure...:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2011 8:24pm (May 24th 2011)

It must be so painful for her Lynn. See if you can pad the dressing out a bit to make is a bit more comfy for her. Maybe a bit of foam between the dressing and the bandage or something similar. It is a good sign she is eating and drinking well. Lets just hope the infection has been caught in time.
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 7:50am (Jun 2nd 2011)

My old hen is much better now, I've got her on antibiotics and she is now putting weight on her foot and walking on it again. She will have to stay in the hospital cage for another month till the antibiotic is out of her system, I can't tell the difference between her eggs and some of the other girls eggs, (you can't eat the eggs after they have been on meds for a month)She's not going to be a happy camper till she is back with the rest of the flock.
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 5:18pm (Jun 2nd 2011)

Glad she is on the mend Lynn :)
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 5:53pm (Jun 2nd 2011)

Bless her, you've done a grand job there, Lynn!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 7:40pm (Jun 2nd 2011)

So pleased she is recovering Lynn. You must have read my mind as I was wondering how she was getting on.
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 10:31pm (Jun 2nd 2011)

That's very good news Lynn, well done nursing her back to health.