• CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2011 2:09pm (Apr 21st 2011)

Ollie ...you forget, we will also have a hose pipe ban coming in very soon and a water shortage and a drought....so there will be yet another reason to put up the price of food. :-)
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2011 8:09pm (Apr 21st 2011)

Phew, wish spring felt like spring instead of summer...waaaay too hot! *grumbles*

CC, how are you coping?!
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2011 5:10pm (Apr 22nd 2011)

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing madly. Eric says its like sleeping with an elderly accordion...
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2011 6:57pm (Apr 22nd 2011)

We are supposed to get up to 60F degrees here today and 64F tomorrow..Spring has arrived it hasn't been 60 degrees since last October..WOO HOO:woohoo::cloud9:
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2011 9:41pm (Apr 22nd 2011)

Hooray for Lynn at last!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sun: :weather_hot::yay_jump:
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2011 1:53pm (Apr 23rd 2011)

If you need some hot, Lynn, I have plenty here I don't want. Whisper your address and I'll post it to you....:rolling:
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2011 11:23pm (Apr 23rd 2011)

Its been a scorcher here but I"ve missed most of it. At the rehoming centre this morning, then did dinner, then sat in the shade with Shaun. When I finally stepped outside to sit on my bench in the sun a great big black cloud came over! So I gave up. I am expecting complaints from B'ham airport - the planes fly over this way and the white glare from my skin must be very distracting for them!! :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2011 7:25am (Apr 24th 2011)

We hit 68F degrees here today..it felt like Heaven! It's going to rain tomorrow..it usually does on Easter though..it was just so nice to be outside with all my critters in the sunshine today. The rain and cold is going to come back and stay for the next week or so, but at least Spring came on a weekend this year.
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2011 3:29pm (Apr 24th 2011)

Today was cooler than it has been for ages, it was sooo nice! It's the perfect temperature. Me and the dog are enjoying it lots :)
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2011 9:32pm (Apr 24th 2011)

yes it was cooler here as well Red and suited me a treat. Did you get the thunder storms and heavy rain as well? It soon dried up though.
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2011 11:18pm (Apr 24th 2011)

It rained here yesterday. I was snoozing on a huge beanbag in the garden!
    It took me ages to get up. The beans wouldn't give me a stable base for purchase, I began to think I was stuck there! Managed to shuffle off it and then could struggle upright.
    Scarey!
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2011 9:30am (Apr 25th 2011)

No, everyone has had rain, but we haven't had any here :/

Haha bless you Ollie, what a horrible way to be woken!

I thought it was going to be cool again today (I was actually cold in bed last night!) but the sun's out and it's another scorcher now...think we bypassed Spring and went straight for summer this year!
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2011 8:50pm (Apr 26th 2011)

We haven't had any rain all weekend! I couldn't get onto hencam yesterday though.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 6th, 2011 2:05pm (May 6th 2011)

Has been a bit chilly in the morning but does seem to warm up during the day again.
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2011 10:52am (May 7th 2011)

We have rain again today, and had a thunderstorm last night. It feels good :)
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2011 6:18pm (May 7th 2011)

...and smells wonderful!
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2011 10:56pm (May 7th 2011)

Yes it does CC - my son opened the window just to breathe in the smell last night! We haven't had thunder yet - I love to watch a good storm.
    • CommentTimeMay 8th, 2011 3:45pm (May 8th 2011)

Ah, I love the smell of summer rain! We've had a few dog walks in the rain and the forest smells amazing.
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2011 7:42pm (May 15th 2011) edited

I have identified my nesting box birds now they are Great Tits and they are very busy at the moment as their young have hatched. I can hear them peep peeeping sometimes. I did get a close up photo of one of the adults but it is rather blurred, they move so quickly.
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2011 7:54pm (May 15th 2011)

I have a nest of little birds behind the headlight of my truck. I was going to check the oil in the truck yesterday and the mom bird flew out and scarred me to death. I hope there aren't any babies in it yet because I will need to take the truck to the feed store tomorrow to get hay. This is the second year in a row that this silly bird has built her nest there.
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2011 7:57pm (May 15th 2011)

Oh Bless her, she seems to think it is a real good place !!!
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2011 9:38pm (May 15th 2011)

952 (1000 x 1333).jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2011 11:39pm (May 15th 2011)

There was an article on the news the other day about the inappropriate places ducks are building their nests nowadays, and how dangerous it is for the eggs and the chicks. I hope your nest will be OK Lynn. Great pic Lee!!
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 12:24am (May 16th 2011)

NN lovely to be ablle to see a family of birds hatch and grow.

Lee is that pic from your front or back yard???:laugh::biggrin:what a funny place to build a nest.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 9:44am (May 16th 2011)

= Bird's version of a camper...
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 10:02pm (May 16th 2011)

Ha ha ha good one Ollie.
    Thats an amazing photo Lee
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 5:33pm (Jun 2nd 2011)

Bumping this up to say I saw a bit of bird teamwork today! In Bucknall park there were two crows AND a magpie chasing a hawk away! I was very impressed, the hawk was taking a right battering :smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 5:49pm (Jun 2nd 2011)

Awe inspiring sight, seeing little birds scare off the bigguns, innit? :)
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 7:19pm (Jun 2nd 2011)

It is amazing how brave they are when they have young to protect.
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 7:40pm (Jun 2nd 2011)

Posted By: leevauxWhat a great thing Lynn to have life behind the headlight of your truck !!!!!!!!!! but not if you have to use it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you could quickly go get the hay and get back before Mum and Dad notice!
      952 (1000 x 1333).jpg

We've been borrowing the man next door's truck, to go to the feed store, and get gas in the gas cans to run the outside equipment. The Mother bird is sitting on the eggs still. The Daddy bird has taken up fighting with himself in the mirror in the workshop, so Don took all the mirrors down so he wouldn't kill himself flying at the glass. He now is fighting with his image in one of my mom's old shiny cooking pots that is on a shelf. Both the Mama and Daddy birds are INSANE!!
    As soon as the babies fly away..I'm taking the nest off my headlight. I NEED MY TRUCK BACK!:tearhair:
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 7:48pm (Jun 2nd 2011)

What sort of birds are they Lynn? How sweet that you are borrowing a truck rather than upsetting them. We are such softees. I have heard that some birds will fight their reflection that is just amazing. I hope they soon fledge so you can get back to rights.
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 10:29pm (Jun 2nd 2011)

I just posted in the weather thread that I'd seen 2 separate incidents of birds chasing off hawks. I did think wow, good for you little bird, but then I remembered the Derby peregrine falcons and how they're trying to feed their babies too.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2011 3:24am (Jun 3rd 2011) edited

They are Oregon Juncos, NN. They are very small birds:
      OregonJunco.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2011 7:31am (Jun 3rd 2011)

Posted By: LynnWThe Daddy bird has taken up fighting with himself in the mirror in the workshop

As i work in the motor trade and i was on a site repairing cars this happed there was a car with a mirrored back window to it and a little bird was constantly fighting the back window in the end we put a cover over the window to stop it killing itself very strange.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2011 9:42pm (Jun 3rd 2011)

Thank you for the photo Lynn, they look like such sweet little birds, we don't get that sort here in the uk.
    • CommentTimeJun 4th, 2011 5:34am (Jun 4th 2011)

NN, then you're lucky..Juncos are INSANE.:face-smile: The little male was back at it again today, fighting himself in the shiny pot. I'm afraid he's going to kill himself.
    • CommentTimeJun 4th, 2011 5:35pm (Jun 4th 2011)

A customer of mine had that trouble with a chaffinch at her music room window; she had to blank the window off in the end!
    • CommentTimeJun 4th, 2011 11:15pm (Jun 4th 2011)

They're very cute Lynn.
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2011 4:53am (Jun 5th 2011)

We moved the pot and turned the mirrors upside down..Don put one mirror upside down on a box..the silly daddy bird discovered he could get under the mirror if he sat next to the box. He sat there all afternoon jumping up at the mirror. INSANE little goofball! I checked on the baby birds on top of my headlight..they opened their little mouths like I was going to feed them...I still have WEEKS to go with out the use of my truck till the are ready to leave the nest.:blink:
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2011 11:11pm (Jun 6th 2011)

Crazy bird sounds like it enjoys a good scrap !!!!