• CommentTimeMar 25th, 2011 7:22pm (Mar 25th 2011) edited

Last Saturday night (19th march) the moon was closest to earth for 18 years, the so called super moon or lunar perigee would not be seen for another 19years so they said.

Grandad North was hoping for a nice clear night as he wanted to try and get some good pictures of it. We have a couple of street lights very close to us so I suggested that if we had a quick evening meal we could go up to Pleasley pit as it would be nice and dark up there so he should get better pictures with no light pollution.

Good scheme he said and off we went, got parked up and walked to the hill behind the colliery as we were going through the stile Grandad North turned round and flicked his high powered torch on to see if I was managing ok. I got it full on right in the eyes. We all hate him having a torch as he seems to always manage to blind someone every time he uses it. His night vision is bad where as mine is very good well was should I say all I could see now was a big white flashing spot.

I really had a mighty good whinge about it. So he promptly went deaf as a post and strolled off up the hill. I struggled up best I could puffing and panting, poor old legs paining and blind as a bat with out a ping reference point. I was almost at the top and could hear him setting up his tripod, when a stray bramble caught round my ankles.........

Yes you've guessed it ... Face down and then bowling down the hill through the brambles into a drainage ditch almost into the pit itself .Luckily they have capped the mine shaft else I might have continued on down there had I had overshot the ditch . Thankfully there was no water in the ditch just a layer of soft mud and to think I had been complaining about mud for weeks...yes it does have a use it makes for softer landing.

There I was under the shadow of the big winding wheel all shook up and feeling a bit sore and torn. Now was that the moon shining through the wheel or the white spot? I could hear grandad North talking to some woman with a grumbling dog. I think she must have felt sorry for him as she must have heard me call him and ar*h*le. She said, Oh that's a big camera and he replied No that's the small one, this is a big camera. I had to smile to myself as it reminded me of Crocodile Dundee... call that a big knife joke. Funny what you think of at such times.

I managed to drag myself out of the ditch, then stumbled and scrabbled up the hill, I stopped for a breather part way up, stood up and pointed my camera towards the light and clicked hoping for the best. I heard the dog whimper and the woman dashed off with a wavering byeeee....
    no doubt terrified of the bloody muddied scuffed up apparition that wheezed and whistled like a grampus coming over the brow.

Grandad North said you OK, get a good picture? I said no I can not see to set my camera. Oh here borrow my torch............No thanks all the same but I am to cold ..... I fell down the hill, He replied oh I thought you might have......... go sit on the bench till you get your wind back........

Anyhow, borrow the torch no way.... harrumph... it was the principal of it to be honest !!!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2011 7:27pm (Mar 25th 2011)

Oh sorry I forgot you want to see the picture.... now be kind and don't laugh I could have been killed you know....
      pit.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2011 10:35pm (Mar 25th 2011)

NN. That is such a wonderful picture. I would have it enlarged, plus, plus, and framed.
    Could even be an entry in some photo competition.

Do you mind if I keep a copy on my 'pooter please? Or is it copyright already....
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 5:39pm (Mar 26th 2011)

That's amazing, NN!
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 8:15pm (Mar 26th 2011)

Of course you can take the picture Ollie and I appreciate you asking thank you. I don't think it is worthy of a frame myself. Grandad North got some beautiful pictures. I just thought my tale and spooky picture would amuse you all.
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 12:01am (Mar 28th 2011)

Bloody men!! You poor thing NN - are you very bruised and battered by the fall? Your picture is very unusual. I saw the moon that night and it did look brighter but I've seen it looking bigger.

I suggest you go find that torch and 'lose' it in the trash!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 12:56pm (Mar 28th 2011)

Poor NN. next time you go out with Grandad North make sure you have sun glasses on even if it is pitch black. I think you will be better off and not trying to dive down mine shafts. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 9:31pm (Mar 28th 2011)

I did get a bit scratched and hurt my wrist knee and arm but all is well now thanks Kate. Once I got thinking about it all I realised how funny it was and had to laugh so thought I got to share this Ha ha
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 9:20pm (Mar 31st 2011)

You could right a book NN on your escapades,it would be a best seller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 10:05pm (Mar 31st 2011)

I wouldn't know where to start Lee.
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 10:13pm (Mar 31st 2011) edited

My latest escapade was buying this with the lads and as you can see we used it for the first time last Sunday!!!!!!! and it was brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!! fun until i went out on one of those Quad bikes and nearly killed myself as i went over a steep hill and over the other side i landed very wrong and i rolled it over on top of me apart from a very sore side i live to fight another day(but not on a quad bike)
      270320111619 (1024 x 768).jpg
      270320111621 (1024 x 768).jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 10:17pm (Mar 31st 2011)

oh wow thats cool Lee and what good fun. Those quad bikes topple very easily be careful mate we don't want you doing an Ozzie on us.
    I wonder who else has a sheer lunacy story they can tell come on CC you must have one !!!
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 10:22pm (Mar 31st 2011)

Posted By: nanny northThose quad bikes topple very easily be careful mate we don't want you doing an Ozzie on us.

Thats what i was thinking about NN when it was sitting there upside down!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 10:30pm (Mar 31st 2011) edited

Well these things just got to be done I love adrenelin rush stuff, shame I am to old now..... this was 25 years ago
      Img_0547.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 11:02pm (Mar 31st 2011)

I hate adrenaline rushes! You're both very brave!
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2011 7:25am (Apr 1st 2011) edited

The trouble is i have two half's to my brain,one that says don,t do it and one that says do it,the problem is the half that says do it is much bigger and stronger than the the half that says don,t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A bit of sky diving NN how wonderful my sister has done that and she said it was fantastic.
    Oh nice picture NN!!!!!!!!!
    :face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2011 12:32pm (Apr 1st 2011)

I think I'll leave the adrenalin rushes to NN and Lee.
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2011 7:10pm (Apr 1st 2011)

I'm v sensible and sane since I broke my ankle coming off a Honda 750 when I was 20.
    Well, sane-ish. And perhaps not sensible at all.
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2011 7:14pm (Apr 1st 2011)

Posted By: chief chickenI'm v sensible and sane

I cannot believe that cc i think you hold very unsensible secrets really!!!!!!!!!!!! :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2011 8:56pm (Apr 1st 2011)

Cool..... unsensible secrets are the best sort:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2011 9:10pm (Apr 1st 2011)

you bet NN !!!!!!!!! :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2011 10:24pm (Jun 28th 2011) edited

I doubt CC has ever used the word sensible to describe herself before :)
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2011 5:18pm (Jun 30th 2011)

I have to admit that my name and the word 'sensible' don't often occur in the same sentence...:tooth:
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2011 2:15am (Jul 1st 2011)

Hi every one I am sorry to have been away for a while, but it has been one heck of a month. With a real catalogue of events. I am glad to be starting a new month and pray it will be a kinder one. I hadn't been feeling non to well again and then we got the terrible news that Jay's wife had died she was only 42. It was so very sad as they still loved each other but just couldn't live together any more as she had a bad drinking problem and that was what had taken her life in the end. Then that weekend grand daughter overdosed twice. Needless to say we were all grieving and in shock. I broke the shutter on my camera which started me off in floods of tears again and couldn't make myself stop. Later I discovered I could still camera it if I pushed down one side of the shutter every time I needed to use it so that was a plus
    Grandad North decided to take us all to Lindisfarne / Holy island as he thought it would do us good to get away. It was so cold and rained and rained and rained, We went into Berwick upon Tweed for a couple of hours while we waited for the tide to change so we could get across the causeway to the Island and got soaked while we were there, just looking for somewhere to have a bite to eat. Granddad North was so disapointed he started to get grumpy and decided to stay in the car and have a sleep when we did finally get across. Jay and I got soaked to the skin and were shivering with cold but we managed to keep cheerfull and enjoyed what we could see. On the way home I started to get toothache.

Had a bad night and the tooth was raging by midmorning it was a big old capped molar right at the back. Dentist saw me that day I just had to wait for a couple of hours.... another plus, On the bad side Xray showed deep infection and tooth had to come out I didn't care just wanted rid of the blasted thing.... but it wanted to stay and after a good old struggle it came out but a root had snapped off.. Getting the root out was yet another event as when it did come away it took bone with it and now I had a hole through to my sinus that I could actually breath through. A real weird feeling that. So had to have that plugged with a piece of my gum and stitched up right tight and was told no way must I blow my nose for at least two weeks. Got home exhausted and glad to get into bed. Slept right through and woke up with a streaming cold.............you gotta laugh even hysterically in my case !!!!

ON the plus side my camera shutter started to work again must have been getting soaked did it a bit of good it would have cost £95 to fix. On the bad side Granddaughter decided to try drinking cleaning fluids and is back in Hospital being sorted out. Apparently boyfriend didn't want her move in with him........ Antibiotics making me feel real bad am having to take two sorts at the same time on the plus side I am getting plenty of exercise trotting back and forth to the loo with out the need to eat a ton of fruit.

Grandad North has been trying to help me as much as possible by caring for the hens, and is amused that that they have been putting themselves to bed in the gazebo instead of the hen house, he decided to move the hen house and connect it to the gazebo as the cats no longer use it He then finds out that there is a mega mite infestation in the hen house. Poor things I rally myself to help getting it all sorted out. Even after real hot showers we itched with just the thought of them. On the plus side we now have the choice to let the hens into the garden or they can stay in the gazebo if we need to be out late or the weather is mega bad.

We have been letting the cats into the garden for a few hours each day and so far it has worked out well. Sootz did go over the fence once but was so scared he hasn't bothered since(Touch wood) Sylvi is very timid and the slightest noise scares her. We were getting them back in two days ago and something startled her she sliced though my face and arm with her claws she was so desperate to get inside. So now I have more facial damage and some big bruises and slashing on my arm. On the plus side my cold is better and the mouth is healing well.... still must not blow the nose though !!!.
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2011 2:18am (Jul 1st 2011)

Part two
    The beginning of this week Grandad North says he will do part two of the mite treatment in the hen house. Hens have been dosing themselves as I put the powder in their dusting baths. I start some ironing and after a while can smell burning.... go to close the kitchen window and see smoke in the garden. Grandad North thinks it is a good idea to smoke the mites out first and has a bit of a fire going on in the hen house............Flipping heck or words to that effect was my reaction thinking oh no I can sense another event. Don't worry I have it all under control he replied ....well at least he had the hose handy and it is turned on. After he decided they are all choking enough on smoke he puts the fire out and says the steam will force the others out of the wood work, He then empties the soggy straw and paper mess into the composter and sprays the mite treatment in the hen house. Now you thought the same as me didn't you that he would have set the hen house and the gazebo on fire? The plus to that one is he didn't, but you know that soggy litter he dumped in the composter next to the greenhouse? Well it was pure luck that I noticed the flames licking up the side of the green house and was able to put the fire out with out to much fuss. Just need a new composter and a bit of repair of the green house now.
    Sorry this is such a long blog. I have thought long and hard whether or not to tell you all the sad bits, but that's all part of life and there is always a bit of blue sky after the storm. I sure have missed chatting to you all
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2011 7:24am (Jul 1st 2011) edited

Nanny North. Your heart must be aching so very much, I feel deeply for you.

Thank goodness you have been able to unload to us. Writing stuff down really does help to get life into perspective and we appreciate your trust in telling us all the nitty-gritty.

I once went through a horrible tragic time myself. It gave me such power and strength. When I came through it all I said that I could never be hurt that much again. And despite some very dramatic occasions since, I never have been.
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2011 8:59am (Jul 1st 2011)

:bighug:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2011 1:29pm (Jul 1st 2011)

NN, I am so sorry to read off all that has been happening to you. You have a very positive outlook on life and I know that even then one can be at a low point when everything comes at you from all directions.

It is good that you feel that you can talk to us about it all because it sure does lighten the load a bit.

I hope that your toof (or lack of toof) is much better now. I hope the mite infestation has been sorted out now and after having been kippered in the hen house, I hope they have all packed their little suitcases and left.

I hope you have found some good counselling for the grand-daughter. She must be in a bad place in her head and desperately needs help.

Sending cyber-hugs.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2011 6:47pm (Jul 1st 2011)

Oh NN, what a time you've had of it. I hope everything is calming down a little and that you have a little more peace of mind now. :heart:
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2011 9:49pm (Jul 1st 2011)

NN i have been so worried about you and i can see why now i just want to say how sorry i am to here about Jay,s Wife it is so sad :face-crying: :face-crying: it is strange how life deals us these cards sometimes i guess one day we will understand why please look after yourself and the rest of you and please come back to us soon !!!!!! i miss you!! :face-sad:
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2011 11:48pm (Jul 1st 2011)

I think the others have already said it all NN - what a terrible time you've had. I was beginning to wonder where you'd got to. I am so sorry about Jay's wife (is she granddaughter's mom, or is that via another branch of the family?) Has she been offered any support - she must be finding it very difficult to cope with life at the moment and I hope she can get through these terrible times and come out stronger for it.

I was holding my breath and whispering "oh no" when I was reading about Grandad North's method for getting rid of the mites - men! Why do they always think fire is the answer?! At least your camera has made it through and got itself working again.

Fingers crossed for July. We're all here for you. :heart:
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2011 8:44pm (Jul 2nd 2011)

My dad once burnt an old chicken coop of ours...he burnt all the grass away, almost set fire to the new coop, singed the conifers and almost shattered the kitchen and study windows with the heat. Spectacular :tooth:
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2011 12:57pm (Jul 5th 2011) edited

Oh NN I am so sorry you have had such a rough time, things often do seem to pile up on top of us and life seems so challenging. Lots of love and healing hugs and hide the matches.:heart::bighug:
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2011 9:20pm (Jul 7th 2011)

Thank you all for you love and caring. It is so comforting to know you are all there. We are all back to some sense of normality now, and the hens are mighty pleased I am back into fair health and seeing to their needs !!!! The mite situation is under control and they have all been wormed, any messy bums washed and been spoiled with lots of treats !!!

Old Chicken shed do burn up with a whoosh Red they seem to be such dry dusty old things. I remember helping my Dad burn one many many years ago. It took us by surprise at how readily it went up into awesome flames.

Granddad North has the matches in his shed although he can not remember !! I noticed he had my rather nice candle lighter in his back pocket. thinking about it I wonder where he has put that down....... I bet it isn't where he found it !!!!!