• CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2012 5:46am (Feb 17th 2012)

ah Red :face-angel:I do love to see you working with Kasper, he is a good boy, heaps of positive reinforcment there!!!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2012 6:02pm (Feb 17th 2012) edited

Thanks TM :) Yeah...I never realise how many times I say 'good boy' until I watch it back :smile:

I should get back to teaching him to leapfrog, now that will be funny to watch!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2012 5:03pm (Feb 18th 2012) edited

Apparently when Lyle let the dog out today, Kasper decided he wanted to share the double sleeping bag...I didn't even realise :rolling:
      midfeb11.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2012 5:07pm (Feb 18th 2012) edited

Lyle was paddling at Goit Stock so there's a short clip of Kasper 'helping' and of the waterfall too...the water was moving a little faster than normal today after all the rain yesterday.

We completely swapped the living around today too and moved all the furniture...I think Kasper's very happy with the change, even if he got a little stressed whilst it was happening! We put his bed by the window so he can rest on it and watch the outside world :smile:
    The last one is just him being really good whilst I eat my lunch :face-angel:
      midfeb16.jpg
      midfeb15.jpg
      midfeb27.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th, 2012 8:15pm (Feb 20th 2012) edited

This is the face I am in love with

Photobucket

This is why (he is clever)

(and handsome)

Photobucket

This is what he likes to do (play)

(...and play...)

(and play!)

And this is when I said "Do you want to go walkies?" :tooth:

• CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2012 8:16pm (Feb 22nd 2012) edited

I'm making a video of our dog playing with loads of different stuff, to try and highlight quite how high energy 'high energy' dogs are, and to give people ideas on what can be used to tire dogs out! These are some pics of him shredding a cheap £1 stuffed toy today :smile:
      latefeb12.jpg
      latefeb13.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2012 9:42pm (Feb 23rd 2012) edited

We walked to my nana's this morning and then she drove us all to St Ives for a brilliant dog walk. I really meant to take my camera but I forgot aaagh! Really disappointed as we went into the wooden sculpture forest so would've loved to share the sculptures but oh well...we had a great time and the dog behaved very well.

He came every time we called 'this way' (the longest we were waiting was a few minutes which was good for a 'this way' not a recall); he climbed on top of a few dry stone walls but got down when we said...he said hello to some horses through a fence and didn't frantically try get under to play with them...and he came straight back of the golf course when we saw him go through a hole in the wall!! :smile:

So yes, I was very proud of him. He had a great time as well, he was sooo excited and slobbery!! :rolling: On the way back we walked past a very lively Cocker puppy (spitting image of our dog when he's giddy!) and Kasper went right out of the dog's way so he didn't have to say hello...yes, our dog is afraid of other extremely hyper dogs!! Some he enjoys playing with, but the very very bouncy ones he's scared of...what a plank!!

We had a really good time and dropped him back at home absolutely shattered afterwards.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2012 4:23pm (Feb 25th 2012) edited

We walked on harden moor this morning for the first time in months. It was great, the dog loved it! He gets so excited by different places :smile: He was charging around and chasing all the little furry animals that live amongst the heather, and eating poo...it was his dream come true :001_rolleyes:

He doesn't tend to do as much running on the moor as goit stock, but he still enjoys it and it makes a nice change.

And this is from this morning when he was feeling all cuddly :tooth:
      tetra6.jpg
      tetra7.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2012 10:02pm (Feb 26th 2012) edited

Ah Kasper's been such a cutie today :)

He had a big walk at Goit Stock this morning, a big walk late afternoon on the viaduct and a smaller on-lead one just because we felt like it! He's met lots of lovely dogs today and even got chance to play off-lead on the viaduct with an older Lurcher which was cute.

He did really well in the woods with these two tiny chihuahuas too; he sat down and said hello so politely and they weren't too bad in return - one was yappy but no aggression. After a few seconds though the owner reached down and tried to shove Kasper away!! I was fuming! Before he got chance to even touch Kasper, who was too busy saying hello to the dogs, I said 'Kasp, let's carry on' and he followed the command immediately. I screamed his praise and glared at chihuahua man.

On his way back from the morning walk he did find an orange Crayola crayon, which he scoffed down in record time!! Made us laugh anyway :rolling:
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2012 11:09pm (Feb 26th 2012)

Maybe chihuahua man has had other dogs look at his as if they are hors d'ovures (sp?) so was just being extra careful. At least he didn't kick or lash out at Kasper. Or perhaps his dogs suddenly turn vicious and he didn't want to risk Kasper being eaten by them!!!! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2012 3:29pm (Feb 27th 2012) edited

I dunno, it was quite clear nothing was going wrong with any of the dogs in terms of their behaviour. And, seeing as it was another man with him that was holding both the dogs' leads, he could have just asked us to move our dog along, he wasn't having to struggle with two things at once. There was no need to try shove my dog! :mad: :beaker:

I hate dog walkers who don't communicate with other dog walkers ("oh no, he's fine to play"..."sorry, my dog's aggressive"..."I'd better keep away or my dog will tear your dog's throat out" :smile: etc etc) I also dislike it when dog owners keep quiet because they are embarrassed by their dogs behaviour, and someone almost gets hurt because of it.

We were stood whilst Kasper ate some chocolate cake from a wrapper he found the other day whilst a man walked past with a beautiful collie. We said to him "He won't say hello, he's too busy scoffing chocolate cake!!" :rolling: And then we had a 'who can blame him' conversation and a bit of a laugh. We weren't embarrassed that our dog picks up litter and attempts to eat it!! :001_rolleyes: :smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2012 5:25pm (Feb 27th 2012) edited

I've done a few videos on providing mental stimulation for dogs recently. The first one contains a mash of clips from the past few months, with Kasper doing lots of different activities in the hope of tiring him out!

And this is from last night...we play hide and seek games quite a lot, and yesterday I set up his evening meal in small piles dotted around the living room. This was the first time we'd played kibble hide and seek downstairs, so he wasn't just checking the usual hiding spots, he sniffed them all out :smile:

• CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2012 11:05pm (Feb 27th 2012)

It's not just dog owners that don't communicate - even the people who share our office building seem to find it impossible to just say good morning! I hate ignorance.
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th, 2012 7:01pm (Feb 29th 2012) edited

But at least their ignorance won't get your dog's throat ripped out!!

Kasper's second day away from home today and he was marvellous!! I was so proud of him, he even met a new friend whilst we were round at our friend's house and adored her :bigsmile: He slept practically all day and even retrieved a lost sock from under their couch :rolling:

He was more wired at my Nana's yesterday, but he still behaved - he didn't even knock over the goldfish bowl that was in his reach!

I have a few pics I'll put up at some point :smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th, 2012 7:35pm (Feb 29th 2012)

Kasper looooves my nana :bigsmile:

Photobucket

He'd had 90 minutes walk and plenty of play and exploring of my nana's house here...tired tired but refuses to rest!

Photobucket

"Okay, I might be a bit tired..."

Photobucket

"Wait, what am I missing?!"

Photobucket

Exploring having a garden...

Photobucket

Having a hide whilst we had dinner

Photobucket

How he spent all night once we got home :laugh:

• CommentTimeFeb 29th, 2012 7:37pm (Feb 29th 2012) edited

And these two are very poor quality, but they're from the day at our friends' today. He rested a lot more readily, but had to try out every chair in the house :tooth:
      march9.jpg
      march10.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th, 2012 10:36pm (Feb 29th 2012)

He is such a good boy!!
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2012 5:03pm (Mar 1st 2012) edited

He does okay I suppose ;)

We had a beautiful walk in the sun today! Went to Goit Stock and it was prettier than ever. Kasper had a whale of a time but kept fairly close for him too, which was nice as we got to watch him run and pillock about!! He crossed the river twice at the very top of the biggest waterfall which always makes me worried, but I think he does it for that exact reason!! :tooth:

He's been very good today just amusing himself with his toys. We had a play session and now he's just lying on the rug shredding some of his toys!

I got some cute pics of him destroying the ball that Joe bought for Vince a few summers back...
      march12.jpg
      march15.jpg
      march17.jpg
      march18.jpg
      march19.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2012 3:20pm (Mar 2nd 2012) edited

We didn't have anything planned today and as the sun was out decided we would take Kasper on a huge hike to the moor. Normally we just stay on the bit closest to us, which adds up to just over an hour's dog walk...today we decided to cross the road and take him on the even bigger bit of moorland! :bigsmile:

We were out for over two hours and we're all shattered now, but it was a beautiful walk!! Kasper met a few other dogs and got to explore all the moorland and he found a lovely bog to splash around in...it was great ^__^
      moor10.jpg
      moor7.jpg
      moor12.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2012 3:30pm (Mar 2nd 2012) edited

And a video of him just being him...I love this as you can just see he is 'on top of the world' happy! I adore seeing him like that.

I think I just love him in general though :P I may be a bit obsessed with him :001_rolleyes: :rolling:

• CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2012 11:45pm (Mar 2nd 2012)

I love the picture where his nose is pressed against the ball and it makes it wrinkly on the very soft, lovely, fur just behind. Cute!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2012 10:49pm (Mar 3rd 2012) edited

It's funny how a photo can look good when there's not really much to see, isn't it? I like that one too!

I'm teaching Kasper some really awesome tricks at the moment, I'm so excited!! :cheer:

One is a vanishing act, where I say 'disappear' and he runs up the stairs and sits on the landing until I reappear him!! This is obviously quite complex as not only does he have to learn to go up the stairs when told to 'disappear' from anywhere in the room, but he then has to learn to sit, and on top of that wait, at least for a second or so. He's doing well so far, I'm just adding the sit to the chain of behaviours! I can't wait until I can say "And now I'm going to make my dog...disappear!!" and he runs out the room! :rolling:

And the other one is leg weaves :tooth: Something I've wanted to try for a while but not had the 'oomph' for...we're not doing the figure 8 ones we're doing the ones where I step forward with one leg, he goes through, then I step forward with the other and he goes through...we've just had the one session so far and he's done really well.

At first I lured him through with the treat, clicked when he went under my leg and rewarded. Now I have him just following my palm through ('touch' but with the hand moving) to get him to go under, then reward. Hopefully once he fully understands I'll be able to minimize the movement so others' won't notice it, but that will be many weeks away yet :bigsmile:

I'll make some videos of him learning if anyone's interested, but if not I'll just show the completed work ;)
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2012 11:38pm (Mar 3rd 2012)

I'm sure it won't be long until you've cracked it with him Red - you're both very clever creatures!!! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2012 6:38pm (Mar 4th 2012) edited

Thanks :tooth:

He's done well with both tricks again today. He's cottoned on that with 'disappear' I want him to wait on the stairs. So now I can give him the command, he runs halfway up and freezes, and then I saw "Ok good boy, come get a treat!" and he runs back down. I'm only leaving it a few seconds at the moment, so it needs building up and proofing, and then I need to distance the 'disappear' command from the foot of the stairs!

He does well with leg weaving too, a few times he gets confused as to which way he's supposed to go through the leg :laugh: At the moment I'm trying to build up the behaviour before he gets a treat...so I'm getting him to go through one leg, then I take a step and he goes through the other, then click and reward. I think leg weaving will turn out to be a longer process than 'disappear'! :smile:

I don't know why I chose to do forward weaves instead of simple figure 8...I guess I'm stupid! :rolling:

We have a friend coming around tonight who we haven't seen for about 6 months, so I wonder if Kasper will recognise him! He saw him a lot back then, but even so. We're gonna meet him outside, as usual...it would be awesome if Kasper did remember him, as because our friend is so lazy Kasper found him the most uninteresting person ever and didn't get excited or giddy over him!!
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2012 9:43pm (Mar 4th 2012) edited

Can anyone tell from the photos that Kasper has put on weight?! I'm really impressed; this is the first food we've had him on where he's actually gained weight! At the moment you can rub your hands down his side and not feel his ribs!!!

In these photos I think he looks almost the same weight as he was when we first adopted him, before he lost all the weight thanks to exercise - almost, anyway!

(the last three pics aren't really showing his weight, just showing what a psycho he is!! :001_rolleyes: )
      moor28.jpg
      moor29.jpg
      moor24.jpg
      moor25.jpg
      moor26.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2012 4:46pm (Mar 5th 2012)

I've never known a dog who looks as though he's laughing so much!
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2012 7:30pm (Mar 5th 2012)

Haha, thanks CC, I like to think he's generally a very happy dog :bigsmile:

This video is hilarious; today we gave Kasper a raw sprat as a treat...he loooved it!! He didn't know what it was at first, but soon started rolling like crazy and crushing it in his gob :smile:

It was hilarious to watch, and at 4p a sprat we'll definitely be getting him another!

• CommentTimeMar 5th, 2012 11:47pm (Mar 5th 2012)

My dog used to do that to a slice of orange. She would roll on it and try to eat it for ages, but it would always be a soggy lump that we'd have to throw away. (Bet it didn't smell as much as that fish! :ack2: )
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2012 2:45pm (Mar 6th 2012)

Bloody hell I hope your landlord never sees that...! :face-plain:
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2012 5:35pm (Mar 6th 2012)

I was going to suggest they decamp to the Hilton and insist their landlord pay the bill 'because now the floor's fixed it smells of fish'...
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2012 7:17pm (Mar 6th 2012) edited

:rolling:

Posted By: neil
    Bloody hell I hope your landlord never sees that...!

The contract we signed says we must have the carpets professionally cleaned before we ever move out anywhoo, so I doubt he'd mind - and in the video description it says we had to wash the carpet, rug and dog afterwards :P

Haha, Kate he's toyed about with tomatoes and apples, which he flings around madly before eating, but the only things he'll roll on are dead things!! When we lived in Stoke he rescued me from this huge spider, but afterwards he was flinging it around (at head height!! *shudder*) and rolling on it...we ended up with a spider-stain on our carpet :rolling:

We took our friend to the farm shop today (Kasper's doing just fine with him by the way, just adores him!) and the basket of free dog bones was overflowing! It is such a good idea!! We got a pack with one giant bone in, which he is having tonight for his tea, and about 4 other smaller bones so he can have two of them per meal.

We've put him in his crate to eat it, what with having practically a stranger in the house we didn't want to encourage any resource guarding! I made him 'leave it' before letting him eat it though, as I am a very cruel owner! :tooth:
      well.jpg
      well1.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2012 8:16pm (Mar 6th 2012)

Now you mention it, my dog also did the 'roll on a dead spider' thing (but thankfully didn't fling it around) and also, more gross than anything mentioned so far, once found a dead baby bird and brought it into the house. I thought she had a stone so grabbed her to take it from her mouth. Just the thought of that day still makes me heave. She ran outside with it and proceeded to roll all over it. Had to get mom to sort that one out!
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2012 8:55pm (Mar 6th 2012)

Years ago I had a little Toy Fox Terrier who loved to roll in anything stinky. One day Don and I were clearing out some brush out in the back and Spike was with us. When we got done and got in the truck, Spike jumped in with us. Now this dog had never in his life gotten into ANY car or truck by his own accord...but he jumped in and got between us on the seat and put his front paws on the dashboard..he was so proud of himself..he had rolled in Possum poop and covered himself from head to foot in it. Opossum poop is the worst thing I've ever smelled..worse than anything dead..and he was covered in it. He was sooo proud and just had to "share" with us. It was a very hot day so Don and I rode back up to the house with our heads sticking out of the windows..Spike was so MAD when I gave him a bath, he just couldn't understand why we didn't LOVE his new perfume. Thinking about it again, I too could just heave, Kate.:_puke:
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2012 11:01am (Mar 7th 2012) edited

Ahahaha awesome Lynn!! I love how upset dogs are when you get rid of their new stinky smell - Kasper was the same when he rolled on the fish and a wild rotten bird egg :smile:

Kasper's had LOTS of dead birds (and some alive wood pigeons too!) that he's eaten, a dead frog that got rolled on, a live frog that he carried around a bit but then got scared...and a few spiders :smile:

It's hard when he catches animals that are alive, like the pigeons. I always want to try get them off him because I hate to see them suffer, but have to try remember that's not what I should do. At the end of the day it's in his nature and, as I've been told countless times by more experienced dog owners, it's a free, nutritious and fresh meal so don't complain!! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2012 11:43pm (Mar 7th 2012)

And bountiful Red if the number of pigeons around here are anything to go by (even though they seem to be getting outnumbered by gulls!)

Loved your story Lynn, made me laugh out loud! Can just imagine him with a big doggy smile on his face! He's lucky you didn't leave him to walk home!
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2012 7:28pm (Mar 8th 2012)

Got some videos to share...

The first is Kasper 'disappear'ing! This is 4 days of work here, so he's done really well :smile: I just need to gradually use the command all around the room, and then fade out the clicker and that command's ready to be used.

And the second is us goofing around on the couch cushions and wobbling all over the place :rolling:

• CommentTimeMar 9th, 2012 6:53pm (Mar 9th 2012) edited

We got the most awesome £5 armchair ever today...I absolutely love it!! It completes our house! :rolling:

We've been wanting an armchair for a while now, as when we have a friend round the four of us can't fit on the couch! The other day we had three humans sat on the couch and the dog sprawled across over the top of us! Now there should always be plenty of room, even when we have a guest round :smile:

Kasper has claimed it as his own, and it's the perfect size for him to snuggle up on!
    And the last pic is him enjoying gnawing a bone today :)
      washer6.jpg
      washer7.jpg
      washer8.jpg
      washer5.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2012 7:07am (Mar 10th 2012)

Loved the videos, Red. You are doing such a great job training Kasper. He's a smart pup.
    I loved your new chair too...looks like it's going to be Kasper's chair.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2012 8:23pm (Mar 10th 2012) edited

Thanks Lynn.

Kasper is really poorly tonight :cry: He's been fine all day, but something must have happened on his second dog walk. We got back and he's acting really not himself. Can't settle, terrified of men (including Lyle) and fearful of me, cowering, whining, submissive actions like licking lips and exposing his belly...

I've rubbed my hands all over his belly (without stressing him out further) and checked his paws and between his toes, and I can't see anything.

A few times it's seemed that something has touched him or caused him pain, as he'll turn quickly and run to his bed and cower. He's panting every now and then and whining every now and then...I took him out to see if he needed the toilet and he just lay on the grass on his back.

I can't think of anything he's eaten that would effect him so suddenly, especially as the second walk was entirely on-lead...I think we'd have noticed if he was eating 907 grams of chocolate, which is how much it takes a dog of our weight to become ill...

We thought maybe he'd feel better in his crate, less fearfull around (he's absolutely terrified of us all) but he refused the command, didn't even move, so we are all just ignoring him apart from throwing him calming signals.

Please send your best wishes; we're going to keep an eye on him, I've posted on a dog forum and we will take him to the vet if needed...we're very nervous about doing that though as if he's terrified of us then I dread to think how a vet would effect him. But if needs be...
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2012 10:29pm (Mar 10th 2012)

It sounds like he has eaten something that is giving him a bad tummy problem..could he have gotten in to something and swallowed it?
    This sounds like what my daughters dog was acting like after he had gotten into the garbage can and had eaten some dental floss last week..by the time they found out what the problem was( it took a day before he started acting like something was wrong) and got him to the vet..it was too late..little Lestat died 2 days later, but not before running up a $3000 vet bill.
    If he's not any better by morning get him to the vet FAST.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2012 10:53pm (Mar 10th 2012)

Is he drinking? If he won't eat or drink then I would say there is either something blocking his intestines, or something stuck in his throat. The problem is dogs can snatch things up so quickly you might not have noticed, or it could've been something he ate earlier. The way he's reacting it does sound like something intestinal.

Sending lots of good wishes and vibes up your way and hope he feels better soon. :heart:
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2012 3:15pm (Mar 11th 2012) edited

He couldn't have gotten into anything indoors (our bin has a clip down lid with a push button to open) but outdoors is anyone's guess!!

Yep, he was eating and drinking even when feeling his worse.

We put him to bed just before midnight last night, but I couldn't sleep without seeing him, so he came into our bed (which was a nightmare, he took up over half the bed!!) We took him out to toilet before he joined us, and he did a poo. It had a huge "bit" of something in it (about 3 inches long!), which could well have been bone. The rest of the poo was normal; solid, no fresh or dark blood. He slept peacefully the rest of the night with us.

Next morning he was MUCH more himself! Still not 100% right, but playing, wagging, stretching etc. He got excited when we said 'walkies' and was exploring and happy on his walk. We just took him on a short on-lead walk and gave him 1/4 of a meals' worth of wet food when he got back.

He has been chilling in between trying to incite play and beg from Lyle and our friend as they cook food! :bigsmile:

Got my fingers crossed so tightly, and keeping a very close eye on him!!

For comparison, this is a video of him last night (which I took in case it would help those on the dog forum)

He was utterly miserable - and that was him when he'd improved quite a bit!
    And this is from this morning :)

• CommentTimeMar 11th, 2012 5:07pm (Mar 11th 2012)

Poor K, he really wasn't a happy boy, was he? I wonder what triggered it. Any reply from the dog forum?
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2012 6:05pm (Mar 11th 2012) edited

No, he really wasn't. I was very worried for a while. He just swallowed too big a bit of something and struggled to get it out again! Causing a very sore tummy and lots of pain. We were just lucky he managed to get it out himself!!

He's right as rain now though...acting crazy after only getting a little walk, so we had to take him out again :001_rolleyes:
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2012 4:57am (Mar 12th 2012)

I'm so glad that Kasper is feeling better now..poor little guy. It's scary when they are sick..they can't tell you what is wrong.
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2012 8:17pm (Mar 12th 2012) edited

Thanks :) Yeah, I spent most that night saying "aagh, I wish you could tell me where it hurts!!"

A delightful after effect of his illness is that he has decided he is scared of going in his crate...AAAGH SOMETIMES I HATE MY DOGS' SENSITIVITY AND INTELLIGENCE! So that's a bit of a nightmare, as we can't go take him by the collar because it would terrify him. We're using very tasty treats and will possibly start taking him in by the lead, which we had to do when we first crate trained him. Hoping it'll go back to usual soon... :C

But otherwise, see how happy he is!!
      washer9.jpg
      washer12.jpg
      washer10.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2012 8:53pm (Mar 12th 2012) edited

And he was very warm after his evening walk, so he got a few pieces of frozen veg to cool and entertain him :smile:
      washer13.jpg
      washer14.jpg
      washer15.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2012 11:47pm (Mar 12th 2012)

OMG look at the length of that tongue!!!

Am so glad he's feeling better. If it was a shard of bone that would've been very uncomfortable passing through his system, but explains why he's OK now. Maybe you need to be careful what sort of bones he eats in future - I get the impression he's a 'wolfer' when it comes to food and likes to get it down quick! Doesn't part-cooking bones make them safer? Really can't remember. I'm sure I read somewhere that bones from different areas/animals splinter differently. Never seen a dog eat frozen cauliflower before! (Ice cubes - another thing my dog would roll on rather than eat!)
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2012 12:36pm (Mar 13th 2012) edited

Raw bones are safest for dogs, and a more natural diet for them too. Even chicken bones can be eaten raw. You should swap the bone for something else when it gets small enough to swallow.

Posted By: KatebI get the impression he's a 'wolfer' when it comes to food and likes to get it down quick!

He's a veeery slow eater! Unless it's wet food, which he scoffs down, but he takes his time with kibble even when it's in his bowl and not a puzzle toy. And bones last him hours, if not days. He also occasionally won't want to eat a bone in his crate, but when you let him out he'll plonk himself at your feet to chew it!

And yeah, his tongue is incredible :smile: One of the first things I noticed about him the day we first met him!
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2012 11:59pm (Mar 13th 2012)

Of course - I forgot he's been 'skinny dog' for a long while! I just assumed because my sis-in-law's springer is very greedy.

• CommentTimeMar 14th, 2012 1:06pm (Mar 14th 2012) edited

Haha, yeah he's the skinny dog...not for want of eating though, just because no matter how much we feed him he burns it off!! He's gone back to been really ribby after he was ill and we had to cut his meals down in size for a day or so...at least his fur kinda hides his skinniness!

Posted By: KatebI was always told never to give chicken bones because they splinter and can get stuck in the throat/gut. The only animal that should be given them is rats because they grind them. Is that an old wives tale?

That would be if they're cooked they splinter easily. But s'long as they're raw they're fine, and tend to be safer than other bones as they are bendier and softer...I used to think that rats were the only animals you could give chicken bones to, too!

Even with a dog that eats a cooked bone, it's fairly rare that they splinter and cause internal harm. Kasper found a few cooked chicken bones when we lived in Stoke (discarded takeaway from louts) which he ate and was always fine. But we would obviously never give him them.

These sites have some info on feeding raw chicken bones, if anyone's interested (pretty boring really :P )

• CommentTimeMar 15th, 2012 1:12pm (Mar 15th 2012) edited

We took the dog on a lovely big moor walk this morning, as it was such a beautiful day :)

We brought the friend who's staying with us along, I thought he was going to die hahaha! He was absolutely exhausted and very slow - I don't think he'll come on a walk again with us ;)

It was an absolutely beautiful day though and Kasper had a whale of a time. We were up there for about an hour and Kasper just lay in the water drinking before heading back towards the village haha!

Once we got back he tried some new wet food (liver & veg in gravy which he looooved) and then sat very nicely whilst I trimmed some tangles from his ears and brushed dry shampoo into his fur, as he rolled in poo! :tooth:
      walk.jpg
      walk1.jpg
      walk3.jpg
      walk4.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2012 11:35pm (Mar 15th 2012)

Posted By: Redbrushed dry shampoo into his fur, as he rolled in poo!

Poor Kasper..he was only putting on perfume for you, Red. :rollonfloorlaughing:
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2012 2:49pm (Mar 16th 2012)

He seemed to think that the 'perfume' was edible too!! :rolling:

Had a great walk with him this morning - well, I say morning but we didn't go out until 1pm, although he did have a toilet walk around 10am!

He had a lovely walk and made 'friends' with two small terriers in the woods...but then was been way too hyper with them! He was jumping over them, on their heads etc. The dogs snapped once, which I thought was very patient of them, and I told the owners not to scold them as it was quite clearly our dog just being socially impolite! :tooth:

An old man also gave him an apple core to eat which he took very gently and which will probably help towards his fear of men, so that was nice.
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2012 8:25pm (Mar 16th 2012) edited

Oh oh also, I've been meaning to post this from yesterday and CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT!!

Out on a viaduct walk yesterday, I had Kasper off-lead in a down stay whilst two cyclists went past from one side of the viaduct all the way to the other and HE DID GREAT! He happily stayed put until I released him - oh yeah! :woohoo:

First time I'd tried it outside, so I was pretty chuffed!
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2012 2:53pm (Mar 17th 2012)

You are doing so well with him Red - and he's such a clever boy!
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2012 6:36pm (Mar 17th 2012) edited

Thanks CC :)

Some pics of the gorgeous mutt himself!
      walk5.jpg
      walk6.jpg
      walk7.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2012 6:39pm (Mar 17th 2012) edited

Woohoo I made my first item of clothing!! Haha - Kasper was a 'willing' model haha :tooth:

This isn't a proper pattern, it's just an old t-shirt I had! It didn't go too badly, bit wonky at the edges as I didn't measure it, and the thread snapped 3 times as it's the thread that just came with the machine...but not bad at all :smile:

Looks pretty funky too!!
      walk9.jpg
      walk10.jpg
      walk11.jpg
      walk13.jpg
      walk15.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2012 5:57am (Mar 18th 2012) edited

Your model looks so dashing in his new collar, Red!:face-smile:

you did a nice job on the sewing.
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2012 1:09pm (Mar 18th 2012) edited

Thanks! :bigsmile: I didn't think it was bad at all - apart from the parts where the thread snapped so I had to start again! :P
    I knooow, he looks so handsome! :heartsabove:

I made an extra-small fleece tug rope this morning too, and made him pose with it :tooth:

Photobucket

He's absolutely shattered now; we had the most amazing walk this morning. The weather is gorgeous here today...I got far too many photos though, so shall bung them in another thread instead of clogging this one up even more!! :rolling:

Also, after 4 nights, Kasper is starting to be okay with a noise that has been terrifying him! I made it by accident one night, and since then any noise that is even remotely similar has sent him fleeing upstairs or cowering under the table, haha!

It's been a bit of a nightmare. Last night, when he was interested in my tea, I tried counter conditioning him (I'd already tried a few times but he was too scared to take the food). This time it worked though, and literally 5 minutes in he chose to lay at my feet and didn't react to the noise :smile:

He's not 100% happy with it yet, but with a bit more CC I'm sure he'll get there!
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2012 4:52pm (Mar 18th 2012)

Have you considered selling on eBay, Red?
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2012 5:19pm (Mar 19th 2012) edited

Yeah, I think I'll list the toys on there, once I find some material I like to make them from :laugh:

We got Kasp a few presents for his adoption day today (we already bought him some but he ended up getting them early :rolling: ) which is only in 6 days time! He got this really cool mental stimulation toy, it's a P@H version of a really expensive one, so I'm excited to try that. You put the food / treats in the holes and Kasper has to move the sliders to get to them.

We also got a hard rubber ball for about the third of the price we were going to buy for a similar one off the internet, which is cool. And he got a nylabone chew toy for his adoption day too.

He has a new collar too - I couldn't resist, it was really cheap at the market and he's had his old one for yonks! He's proudly wearing that now and looks like a tough nut as it has studs on :laugh: And he's had a neck trim, because I finally found some blunt-ended scissors to trim his fur with, and a brush so he looks quite smart :smile:
      neck24.jpg
      neck26.jpg
      neck27.jpg
      neck29.jpg
      neck28.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2012 11:32pm (Mar 19th 2012)

Ah, I posted on another thread about the neckerchief you made him - hadn't seen this thread then! It looks great - always best to start simple and work your way up! Are you going to keep the new toys for another 6 days or will you crack and give them him early ... again?!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2012 8:45pm (Mar 20th 2012) edited

Thanks :tooth: Nooo, I am NOT giving him the new toys until the 25th! Mainly because I think Lyle will kill me if I do hahaha!

Plus I did get to get him a new collar, and I can't stop saying how handsome he looks in it - Lyle has got to the *sigh* "yes, he looks lovely..." stage :rolling:

I've got a training vid to put up but it's not ready just yet...I was gonna wait until we had perfected the leg weaves, but I haven't had time to train them anymore for aaages, so I'll put it up half-finished and do another when they're polished.
    There's a little 'stay' training that we did tonight too, he does so well with that command! :)

I have tadpole news too thanks to Ollie's post, but have to run as tea is ready now...
      wash.jpg
      wash2.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2012 10:25pm (Mar 20th 2012)

Video :)

• CommentTimeMar 22nd, 2012 10:23pm (Mar 22nd 2012) edited

Ahahaha Kasper drooled today!!! :tooth:

It was awesome! Everyone always talks about their drooly dogs, and Kasper's never drooled before, it was hilarious! We were both laughing hysterically at him and he was just sat there looking so concerned and innocent :rolling:

And I'm being really good, he's still got all his pressies to open this weekened haha :face-angel:
      wash1wot.jpg
      wash14.jpg
      wash1wot2.jpg
      wash12.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2012 5:59pm (Mar 23rd 2012)

What was he drooling AT?
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2012 11:29pm (Mar 23rd 2012) edited

Oh haha, he was sitting politely watching us eat and hoping for a treat :tooth:

I thought the 25th was tomorrow...it's not, it's Sunday! I have to wait an extra day to give him his presents, noooo :rolling:

I felt a little poorly today; Kasper showed concern by laying with me, on top of me and sitting on my head...aww, now that's what I call love!!
      wash20.jpg
      wash18.jpg
      wash19.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2012 6:38pm (Mar 24th 2012)

Ha...Doctor Kaspar will see you now....
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2012 8:32pm (Mar 24th 2012)

I can't say he made me feel any better :P

I've been busy baking all day today, making some goodies for tomorrow :001_rolleyes:

Photobucket

Tried out a new recipe and a new product, which both went down very well, so that's good!

Photobucket

(I had to let him have a sneak preview hehe!)

Photobucket

And the new glazing / icing recipe worked way better than expected - I heaped it on really thick as I expected it to fade and it didn't at all!

Photobucket

And in other news, Kasper thought he was a parrot!

• CommentTimeMar 25th, 2012 12:03pm (Mar 25th 2012) edited

Kasper loved opening his presents :tooth:

He really liked the Nyla bone that Lyle got for him, he stopped opening presents to chew that!! And it came up on the couch afterwards for a bit of a gnaw

Photobucket

The rubber ball went down well too and he had lots of fun chucking it around the room :smile:

And rolling with it...

And pouncing at it!

Photobucket

The only pressie that was a disappointment was the £20 puzzle toy - why is it always the most expensive?! He just tried to destroy it everytime to get the treats out, and refused to do it properly...maybe we'll try again in ten years' time! :tooth:
    I made him wait to eat his blue snail too :)

Photobucket

We had a lovely walk this morning as well, and I do think it was Kasper's favourite walk ever :smile:

He was charging about like crazy, following directions very well, and when I fell over in the heather we had an awesome playfight and I got COVERED in slobber hahaha! :rolling:

Wish I coulda got some pics but I didn't take my camera because of how foggy it was in the village.
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2012 12:16pm (Mar 25th 2012)

So yes, one year on with our crazy mutt and we couldn't be happier with him - well, we probably could haha, but we love him to bits despite his flaws! :tooth:

He's the perfect dog for me, even if he does drive me up the walls sometimes! I love teaching him new tricks, taking him for big walks, buying him presents and making home-made toys and treats. I adore his stupid face, I love snuggling with him on the couch and in bed, and I couldn't be prouder of him.

Since getting him his recall has improved. He can actually settle and be calm in the house now! His behaviour towards other dogs has gotten way better. He's learnt more tricks than I can remember. He's getting better with men. He actually drops things when you want him to.

We love him; here's to many more years with our plebby dog! :heart:
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2012 5:56pm (Mar 25th 2012)

Happy Anniversary, you lot! :heart:
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2012 7:56pm (Mar 25th 2012)

Thanks CC! :)

We took him on an extra big walk tonight to celebrate, but couldn't do an off-lead as it's the weekend and sunny...it means that Goit Stock's full of weekend dog walkers and loads of hikers who walk really slowly!

So instead we walked up through the village

Photobucket

Up the lane as if we were going on the viaduct - there's someone keeping an owl who lives along here, and we spotted it for the first time in the run! It was quite big with stuck up eyebrows, we hear it hooting quite often (creepy in the dark!). I tried to get a photo but wasn't able.

Photobucket

This was taken on the bridge above the viaduct, looking down onto it

Photobucket

Then we carried on straight up over the tops, which gave us a lovely view of the viaduct :smile:

Photobucket

And is a really nice place to walk, very pretty

Past all the fields

Photobucket

And then we walked back through the village and got our ice cream haha!
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2012 6:47am (Mar 26th 2012)

Beautiful pics of your boy and love the video of him opening pressies so funny what a clever doggy.
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2012 6:40pm (Mar 26th 2012) edited

Haha thanks TM! He loves opening pressies; enjoys the paper as much as the actual gift :)

We had a gorgeous walk in the woods today, nice and shaded so we didn't get too hot until we resurfaced! Kasper really enjoyed himself, he had a good swim in the deepest bit of water and crossed to the other side.

Got back and he had his brekkie and then away whilst we went and did some shopping, he's been very good at resting in the house today! When we let him back out he was limping a little, but I couldn't see any injuries so I think he must have pulled something. We took him on a short walk this evening to help it heal, which he was NOT happy about haha, and he has been "helping" me clean the house too - and by that I mean just getting under my feet and pinching bits of rubbish! :tooth:

He's absolutely shattered again now, bless him :smile:
      chomp2.jpg
      chomp4.jpg
      chomp5.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2012 3:52pm (Mar 27th 2012)

He saw two dogs today that he loved.

One was a 12 week old Shih tzu puppu, it was tiiiiny! Our dog was such a darling with it, wagging like crazy and sniffing, staying still so the puppy wasn't too scared, no jumping up or getting too giddy...the puppy's owners praised it lots, as it was understandably scared of being approached by such a big dog, and thanked us when we left which I thought was lovely :smile:

He saw a big dalmation too, and they seemed very similar! Both real livewires and the dalmation's owner was struggling to control it haha but Kasper loved it. His leg must still be a bit sore and stiff today as he's still limping after resting for long periods of time...we'll probably give him another short walk this evening.

I think my parents might be coming around tonight too to give Kasper his belated 1 year presents!
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2012 11:16pm (Mar 27th 2012)

My parents came and brought his pressies round tonight (he has semi-destroyed them both already haha! :tooth: ) and he looooved seeing them!! He hasn't seen them in ages so he was very excited and happy bless him :smile:

I think this is my favouritest photo of him EVER!

Photobucket

And this is him enjoying a carrot!!

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2012 11:34pm (Mar 27th 2012)

I'm glad you met some nice dogs and owners today - hope it renews your faith in other dog owners a little bit!
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2012 12:03pm (Mar 30th 2012)

I dunno, it'd have to happen more than once every few weeks for it to really change...we see so many irresponsible dog owners and abusive dog owners a day it really is saddening.

Kasper has had one off-lead walk a day for the past few days, as his limping has pretty much disappeared. I think it happened once yesterday after his big walk and after he'd rested for quite a while, so the stiffness is obviously going.

He ate 3/4 of a pack of Lyle's custard creams this morning, as Lyle left them on the couch and forgot about them. I thought that was hilarious, Lyle was miffed because he was trying to eat them slow and save some for later :laugh:
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2012 12:14pm (Mar 30th 2012) edited

Oh! I found a really interesting blog, too: http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.co.uk/

And the differences in some of the pure breeds and just how it is obviously effecting their health...I mean, wow! I looked back at Kasper and I couldn't believe just how *healthy* he looked!! Just his body and face shape.

Some breeds are obviously still quite healthy, although problems such as hip dysplasia are still common, but they still look normal / natural...Border Collies, JRT, Aussies, Spaniels, Setters...but some are just unnatural!

Look at these examples (these are award winning dogs!!):

These are pics of some Bassett pups bred from a well respected Bassett breeder (they can't see!!):

And the following is a photo of a responsibly bred Bulldog, where the breeder has bred her pups so they can run and walk in hot weather without passing out! Mabel is 18 months old, compare her to the show dog below - especially the face:

• CommentTimeMar 30th, 2012 7:09pm (Mar 30th 2012)

I love that REAL bulldog!
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2012 11:21pm (Mar 30th 2012)

Those poor bassetts. :face-sad: The breeder should have their licence (if they have one?) taken away.
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2012 9:58pm (Mar 31st 2012) edited

Posted By: chief chickenI love that REAL bulldog!

Assuming you mean Mabel, yes me too!! Lyle said something along the lines of, if all the unhealthiest of pure breeds were improved in such a way, I wouldn't mind having one, and I agree.

Kasper was very hyped up and restless tonight (and he had a huge morning walk too!) so we gave him the Big Orange Ball to play with (or BOB as we affectionately call it!).

We do this very rarely, I think he's only played with it two or three times at this house, but it really lets him get all the pent up crazy energy out in a...well, not a positive way, but not entirely negative either haha! And he has lots of fun too, and is hilarious to watch :rolling:

Oh Kate, about the Bassett pups, there's actually a huge argument going on with the breeder, other Bassett breeders, and dog owners arguing that they are perfectly fine and healthy...what planet do these people live on?!
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2012 5:56pm (Apr 1st 2012)

• CommentTimeApr 2nd, 2012 6:50am (Apr 2nd 2012)

I love seeing Kasper with BOB, heard the guitar go 'boing' as he rushed past.
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd, 2012 12:08pm (Apr 2nd 2012)

Posted By: chief chickenI wish you lived closer to us, Red; every week we get a football/rugby ball/tennis ball kicked over the garden wall. We donate them to Presley, a huuuuuuuuuge hairy alsatian up the footpath...but if Kaspar were here he could have first dibs!

Oh he loves proper leather footballs! We 'aqcuire' them around here when they have lost their owners :tooth: and he loves shredding them and playing tug with the leather. He managed to get into a cricket ball once, which amazed my dad! He's never had a rugby ball though :P

Posted By: Trevs MumI love seeing Kasper with BOB, heard the guitar go 'boing' as he rushed past.

Ahaha he often 'plays' (or kills) the guitar, and recently because we've had clothes drying, he's knocked the clothes horse on himself and it doesn't half scare him haha! :laugh:

We had a sweet morning walk today, back in the forest as it wasn't a weekend. Kasper met an off-lead dog, which he doesn't normally get chance to, and they played with each other very well, especially as they other was a tiny Cavalier! The owner was walking with an elderly woman who couldn't walk in the woods...I don't know why she'd gone walking there, it was really annoying. The footpaths are very thin, rocky, uneven and fall down a cliff to the water...absolute nightmare trying to get past her without the two giddy dogs knocking her down! :001_rolleyes:

He saw another dog too, a young Staffy - he was GORGEOUS! He was white and beige and sooo enthusiastic about everything haha! He was on-lead, I guess because he doesn't have recall yet, and the owners were really good, praising their dog and letting him say hello. It was sweet.

Kasper 'adopted' the dog and owners haha he ran ahead and caught up with them on the way back. I called him and he came instantly, it was awesome, the other owners were stood with their mouths open haha! Then on our way out of the forest Kasper crossed the river to the other side and ran to see them again before coming back...he really would like a Staffy brother / sister ;)

Got back and I did some training with him before he got too tired and whilst he was hungry...I'm in a 'competition', you get a month and have to train your dog a trick, then you get judged and voted for the winner. This month's trick is to sneeze and have Kasper bring a tissue...only he makes tissues soggy so we are using a duster as we don't have any handkerchiefs!! :rolling:

Going well so far though, I'll let you know how we get on and post the video :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 8:11pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

Kasper has really understood the whole concept of 'bring the tissue to me' for his latest trick...I imagined it would be really hard as he's always had a slight problem with fetch...he'll come to you, but he doesn't understand I want him to bring the 'thing' too!

But no, he has got it!! Today I dared move the tissue further away (up until now we had been working on clicking when the tissue connects with my hand) and he went and got the tissue, then walked towards me to earn the click as it met my hand! I haven't described it very well, but it was AWESOME! A real light bulb moment :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2012 12:23pm (Apr 4th 2012) edited

I'm putting these two pics here and the others in the dog walk thread...I just like these two and don't want them to get 'lost' :smile:

The first one of him is him sniffing the wind; it was really strong today!
      2snow13.jpg
      2snow14.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2012 9:34pm (Apr 4th 2012) edited

Another awesome day for training!! :cheer:

He will now fetch the tissue from far away (out of arms' reach so he does have to get it, then turn and walk towards me) and will get it when it's on top of something else, such as a storage box...majorly impressed! We had a month to work on this and he's got it in less than a week with about four 5 minute training sessions :bigsmile:

And this is a video of just Kasper...being Kasper really! There's him pillocking about with a beef knuckle and "talking" lots about how much he wants it but doesn't dare have it haha! There's some shots of him going mental with a new ball he got which has since been shredded, and some short clips of him playing on the viaduct today too...the last bit is hilariously cute too, well I think so :tooth:

Hopefully I might have the trick finished by tomorrow (oookay so slightly wishful thinking but if I do two days' training in a row it'll probably be completed by the day after!) so I can get the video up then. It is pretty much done, I just need to ask him to sit and wait before I say "attishu!" which is the verbal cue...making him wait for the cue is pretty important to the trick but I'm confident he'll pick it up quickly! :smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2012 6:38pm (Apr 8th 2012) edited

Trick is pretty much finished now! Still need to film it though...

And this is him destroying a toy my parents got him for Easter - it didn't even last long enough for me to put my camera away and stop taking photos! :rolling:
      easter1.jpg
      easter2.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2012 10:21am (Apr 9th 2012)

I sorted the video of Kasper learning to fetch a tissue last night, so here it is tada! :smile:

• CommentTimeApr 9th, 2012 10:28pm (Apr 9th 2012) edited

Kasper has been sooo wired all day today...he's having one of those days! (few days to be honest :rolling: ) I managed to tire him out with a training session today; not just through mental stimulation but I made him do the more energetic tricks too! :bigsmile:

So we had at least 5 'disappear's where he was running up and down the stairs, some talls, spins, sending him to his bed running across the room then asking him to jump up onto the couch...it really worked and he slept for a total of two hours, woohoo! Yep, that's right, after two dog walks Kasper has rested for a total of two hours today (although he has been forced to rest in his crate since we were cooking tea)...and this is why it's difficult to own a high energy dog!! :tooth:

Oh oh, also something amazing happened today! I dropped a wrapped Easter egg on the floor and Kasper, obviously smelling nommy chocolate, picked it up. I asked him to drop it AND HE DID!! He gave up a tasty chocolate egg because I asked him to! How incredible!! I was so impressed I gave him like five treats one after the over and smudged some chocolate on my finger to lick off haha!
    :cheer: :woohoo: :cheerleader:
    • CommentTimeApr 12th, 2012 7:44pm (Apr 12th 2012) edited

Kasper's handled me doing some packing for our jollydays very well today! I'm doing it over a few days in small amounts to reduce all our stress levels haha! I was expecting him to go a bit crazy, as packing usually makes him freak, but he really wasn't that interested...until I started packing his brand new holiday dog toys and some treats anyway! :tooth:

I've also taught him to take my hat off on command...just for fun really :smile:

Had to add a sit and wait cue to the chain as otherwise he was lunging at my head / face and yanking madly on the hat hahaha :gasp: :rolling: so I had to teach him to wait until I lowered my head and said "get my hat!"
    • CommentTimeApr 12th, 2012 11:37pm (Apr 12th 2012)

Are you taking him with you on your jollies?
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2012 1:41pm (Apr 21st 2012) edited

Oh yes, he came too - I wouldn't trust anyone else to look after him :smile:

We had a truly amazing time, and Kasper was absolutely perfect in every way (well apart from when he caught a duck!! :rolling: ) He had to have all on-lead walks and he didn't act up or complain once, bless him, and one day my mum and Nana came for a visit and he walked on-lead very nicely and sat very happily outside at a table whilst we had a meal at the cafe! He didn't even jump up or freak when the food got brought out to us, he just sat and wagged at the women :heart:

Then today I managed to persuade my mum and dad to come for a dog walk so we all went to St Ives with my Nana too and it was Kasper's first off-lead walk in a week. He said hello politely to kids and other dogs, he followed all my 'this ways' immediately AND he saw horses riding towards him just ahead, I called him back and he came straight away!! My family were very impressed and surprised :rolling:

But yes, the cottage we went to was lovely and Kasper settled in straight away. We walked him for 2 - 4 hours on-lead in the morning and then about an hour in the evening too. We walked to Clapham, Austwick, Ingleton, Keasedon and halfway to Settle :smile:

The cottage also had a garden, and even though the fencing was very low Kasper was brilliant and didn't even think about jumping over - he's just been brilliant!

I got some amazing photos of all the views and of course all the little lambs, of which there were thousands...it's nice to be back home too though :smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2012 1:45pm (Apr 21st 2012)

I also have far far too many photos to put on the forum (of course!) so am going to make an album of them all that I can link to so you can see them that way...I need my dad's help though otherwise I'll probably wipe all of hencam by accident haha! So not sure when they'll get put up...

I can put a few up as a taster if you want though! :tooth:
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2012 4:13pm (Apr 21st 2012)

This is a video of our holiday...starts with us walking the trail to Ingleborough cave. The sheep and lambs are on the way to Asutwick, how cute is the little lamb running?! :smile:

Kasp does some very impressive training throughout too...I like the tall, leave it and when he finds his toy in the garden best! :tooth:

• CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2012 4:48pm (Apr 22nd 2012) edited

I gave the dog a further trim last night, some of his back and belly hair has been snipped and I cut the Springer-fur from his ears...they look so different! I'll find a before and after! He looks tidier and younger too now, bless him, and hopefully it'll stop sticks and stuff getting caught in his ear fur!

The last pic is him wanting to play with the taddies...he had his nose in the water at one point and I thought he was gonna drink one!!

I've just given him his last hoof to have a good gnaw on and Lyle has fallen out with me because he hates the smell haha :laugh: We're ordering a new food for Kasp as his old has pretty much run out; it has some great ingredients in, check out this list: milk thistle, marigold, nettle, seaweed, blackcurrant extract, carrot, yucca extract, thyme, beetroot, tomato, peppermint, fennel, paprika, turmeric, dandelion, ginger, fenugreek, rosemary extract...isn't that amazing?! :bigsmile:

I like changing Kasp's food every couple months. Not only is it supposedly good for their health (?) I also like finding new good quality foods, and I think it keeps him interested in his grub too...I know I'd get bored eating the same kind of kibble all my life! He does especially like salmon though, which is good because it's the number one ingredient in this food!!
      chomp12.jpg
      tads1.jpg
      tads3.jpg
      tads.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2012 10:36am (Apr 25th 2012)

Good doggy Kasper. Love the video of him on hols and those lambs are so sweet.